ADVERTISEMENT

Tommy Knotts

No way, all this football knowledge on here. Man I am about to pick your brain cause I am thirsty for knowledge. So tell me what is the difference between N.C. high school football presently compared to the 50’s, 60’s, and 70’s? I know the game has evolved throughout the years. Man did you guys even wear helmets in the 50’s? How was the travel, pregame meal, hostile environments, etc.

today has better athletes, better nutrition, better training, better skills. Our guards were 180 and considered big. but everything was in perspective so our opponents were the same. We ran 95% of the time. Yes we had helmets. We didn't have an activity bus so the team just made it to the opponents field as best they could. No one had any money so everyone worked and eventually parents got there. There was no pregame meal. Everybody got what they could. The toughest places to play were Robbinsville and Murphy were always tough. At Cherokee they would bite you. Swain always hit. You knew you played them. Slyva-Wester, although 2A, was always quick. Robbinsville just had a culture where they expected to win. As much as everything has changed, I think its pretty much the same - boys play to be part of something - a team and all these years later you remember your pals.

I see where Robbinsville has won a lot of titles. For a 83 year young man it seems you are very sharp. I think the players during your time were much tougher than these young guys, also I bet Football was life back then, letterman jackets, and etc . I wish I could have played in that era.

well, I think I am still pretty clever. The Asheville Citizen is a pitiful paper, but I still take it and I work the crossword, cryptoquote, suduku my favorite the jumble every morning before 7am. Keeps the mind quick. I only have 1 drink a day and I move. I eat a lot of pintos and cornbread. Guess I am just lucky.

I started following NC football as an elementary school kid in the early 70s as my brother was in High School at 71st then. One thing I need clarification on is that up until the early 1970s there was no 4A classification correct? Because 71st won the 3A state title like in 1970 or 1971. I believe at that time 71st didnt move up as they were already a big school there just wasn't a 4A at that time ? Somebody with more knowledge please chime in

@1955Wildcat I pray when I turn 83 that I am just as sharp as you are, wise, in my right mind, have my health and strength, and still love the game of football. I pray that God keeps you and bless you that you will be able to be around a long time, its an honor to speak with you on NCPREPS.

Reactions: seadog28
One thing I need clarification on is that up until the early 1970s there was no 4A classification correct? Because 71st won the 3A state title like in 1970 or 1971. I believe at that time 71st didnt move up as they were already a big school there just wasn't a 4A at that time ? Somebody with more knowledge please chime in

4A started in 1959. New school, Garinger, won the title. Although in a new building it was basically a replacement for Charlotte Central which gave up their former campus to start what became Central Piedmont CC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT