ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Ruff - Offers

I don’t recall seeing any Burns or Crest posters blatantly begging for a player by name to transfer in on these forums.

Been seeing a couple Shelby fans desperately lobbying for Ruff to come back. How do you think that makes the next kid in line at QB feel. Probably why you will be losing some kids over the winter.

Calling it like I see it.
Ha. Just stay tuned.

It does sound like a few of the Shelby fans on this site are begging for Ruff to go back to Shelby. Reeks of desperation.
You would think a program with the pedigree of Shelby wouldn’t have to resort to begging for players

I expect the “Supper Club” is working behind the scenes to bring in some more Burns stars to replace the Burns stars that won Overall MVP and Offensive MVP at the 2A State Championship game.
LMAO

But....you just did the same thing with Burns players? Is the pot calling the kettle black? I'm really confused? Sounds like no team in this county can win without Burns players...or some type of "transfer"
They don’t want to talk about that. They never want to discuss all those 2a titles and very rarely being the best team in the County either. They’re in trouble next year. They know it.

Reactions: Crestuff
I don’t recall seeing any Burns or Crest posters blatantly begging for a player by name to transfer in on these forums.

Been seeing a couple Shelby fans desperately lobbying for Ruff to come back. How do you think that makes the next kid in line at QB feel. Probably why you will be losing some kids over the winter.

Calling it like I see it.
How do you think all the kids at Crest who were in line for starting positions that didn't get to play cause someone from another school was brought in. Happened at your place way more than the other 3 schools combined.

How do you think all the kids at Crest who were in line for starting positions that didn't get to play cause someone from another school was brought in. Happened at your place way more than the other 3 schools combined.

Sooooo....the most dominate program in history in NC decided that since Crest did it it's okay for Shelby to do it? You point one finger you've got three pointing back at you...still confused here. Just asking questions is all.

Ruff should stay put ....probably get more offers...2 a football is weak. I was one of the few burns fans that did not like the move down...taking nothing away from shelby as they can win at any level.

Sooooo....the most dominate program in history in NC decided that since Crest did it it's okay for Shelby to do it? You point one finger you've got three pointing back at you...still confused here. Just asking questions is all.
Bess has lived in Shelby for years.Only went to Burns because of mother.

Ruff should stay put ....probably get more offers...2 a football is weak. I was one of the few burns fans that did not like the move down...taking nothing away from shelby as they can win at any level.
He will. Some others won't though. Transfer season incoming...

Any news on updated recruitment news on TJ Ruff.. Is the Borders kid healed up..I wonder how hard the Shelby group is working to get them back ? We sure are blessed to have them.

Any news on updated recruitment news on TJ Ruff.. Is the Borders kid healed up..I wonder how hard the Shelby group is working to get them back ? We sure are blessed to have them.
Burns getting a shelby receiver namma huskey. CF you started that thread and got shut down again . You on a role ole buddy.

Maybe we’ll all play pretty and Deana won’t shut us down. Me and Rulz was put in time out. I guess I need to respect the pecking order on preps. Being a rookie is tough. I have sarcastic smartarse tendencies. I guess it goes back to my childhood. I guess my gifts are mostly a curse.

Reactions: Lawn12Dog
Borders kid playing B Ball for Chargers I think

Good, if he’s like they say his dad was he’s got to be A SMOOTH player. He WILL have a breakout year in football. Get the exposure he deserved !

Lets see how you guys do next year before all the talk

No one in the County is running 4.3.:rolleyes: As for Shelby, I will take Daley and Huskey against anyone in the County, speed wise. Daley is thought of as a physical receiver, but he can really scoot. He and Huskey both run the 100 for Shelby’s track team.

On another note, Ruff is my favorite player to watch in the County, and it’s unfortunate that Borders has been injured most of the season. He’s a great athlete, he was poised to breakout, too, this season. Crest never really reached its fullest potential due to the injuries.

Some fast guys have been mentioned, Padgett especially. Not sure about their 40 times, but Norris Hopper and Chad Holbrook could both fly. How about some 4.4 guys - Lopez Pettis, Herbert Harbison, Chris Poston. How about some maybe 4.3 guys - Baron Jones, Sergio Elmore, Harvey McSwain I and Padgett.

Muse is from Gaston County, so he doesn't really fit in this Cleveland County discussion. I've been skeptical of his 4.3 time, but I personally know someone who witnessed it - another parent who also had a kid being timed on the same day. But since Gaston county was brought into this, Trentavis Friday from Cherryville would easily be a 4.3, but I don't think he played football.

Reactions: Lion Attack
Some fast guys have been mentioned, Padgett especially. Not sure about their 40 times, but Norris Hopper and Chad Holbrook could both fly. How about some 4.4 guys - Lopez Pettis, Herbert Harbison, Chris Poston. How about some maybe 4.3 guys - Baron Jones, Sergio Elmore, Harvey McSwain I and Padgett.
Yep and coincidentally, most of those you mentioned excelled in track.

Some others were Robert Williams, Tony Mauney, Cedric Surratt, Larry Raper, and Shawn Perry of Shelby. You mentioned Sergio Elmore, he had damn near word class speed. His name is on a plaque among other Shelby burners, clocking 10.3 in the 100m, that’s the fastest time ever recorded time at SHS.

Diron Bell, Joseph Bell, Pat Ross, and Courtney Smith at KM.

In addition to those Crest guys, Ronald Ross had sprinters speed, too. Those Kee twins, Rhaheim Ledbetter, Manteo Mitchell, and Martrey Littlejohn were fast, too, on the field and the track.

At Burns, Donnie Malachi, Danny Ross, Monte Pryor, and Stanley Pryor, to name a few, were burners, too.

Last edited:
Thats .02 off of Usian Bolts best time of 4.22. Wow, why are these folks not in the Olympics. Some Johnson guy at Tennessee was timed at 4.12. Muse needs to be in Olympics. Or learn how to run routes. As Jim Cary said SMOKIIIN.

That's fast. Also how did the Kee twins go to Crest?They never moved out of the Shelby city limits.
One of those aforementioned great former Golden Lion players/track stars who became disgruntled with his alma mater, and grew to dislike Shelby “convinced” those Kee brothers to come to Crest. He wasn’t given a coaching opportunity at SHS, he then ended up at Crest as the track coach, and eventually got dismissed there. He did a great job with the track team, and getting kids into college on track scholarships, though.

Last edited:
But Raper went to A&T rather than Clemson? Don't remember why. This link notes a 4.34
https://ncataggies.com/sports/football/roster/larry-raper/1135

As to what Muse might run at the combine or his pro day, he is 25lbs heavier than he was in high school. Anything 4.6 or under at 230lbs is flying.
Raper was a flat out burner, nonetheless. However, I think he would have been a better player in the spread that Shelby now runs, playing receiver.

Muse could fly, too. I remember him on offense taking a pitch about 70 yards to the house against Shelby. He smoked everyone and went untouched.

One of those aforementioned great former Golden Lion players/track stars who became disgruntled with his alma mater, and grew to dislike Shelby “convinced” those Kee brothers to come to Crest. He wasn’t given a coaching opportunity at SHS, he then ended up at Crest as the track coach, and eventually got dismissed there. He did a great job with the track team, and getting kids into college on track scholarships, though.
Manteo Mitchell learned a lot from him

Cleveland County has produced a lot of burners over the years. Some of the guys mentioned above had great “football” speed and some of the guys had great “track speed”. There is a difference. The fastest “hand timed” 100 meters that I am aware of on the track is Sergio Elmore but the fastest “electronic” timed 100 out of those mentioned goes to Travis Padgett. Travis Padgett won a state championship as a freshman in the 100 with an electronic timed sub 10.5 and also made the Olympic team as an alternate sprinter. Matteo Mitchell also was a member of the 2012 U.S. Olympic team and had great 200m and 400m speed. The next guys that I would list after them in no particular order are the Kee boys, Courtney Smith, Pat Ross, Larry Raper, Diron Bell, and Baron Jones. After this group there is separation to the other guys with Robert Williams probably being the fastest guy from a track standpoint track among the rest. Some of the other guys were more quick than fast. Don’t get me wrong though all of those guys were fast but great football speed doesn’t equate to great track speed.

Last edited:
Cleveland County has produced a lot of burners over the years. Some of the guys mentioned above had great “football” speed and some of the guys had great “track speed”. There is a difference. The fastest “hand time” 100 meters that I am are of is Sergio Elmore but the fastest “electronic” timed 100 out of those mentioned goes to Travis Padgett. Travis Padgett won a state championship as a freshman in the 100 with an electronic timed sub 10.5 and also made the Olympic team as an alternate sprinter. Matteo Mitchell also was a member of the 2012 U.S. Olympic team and had great 200m and 400m speed. The next guys that I would list after them in no particular order are the Kee boys, Courtney Smith, Pat Ross, Larry Raper, Diron Bell, and Baron Jones. After this group there is separation to the other guys with Robert Williams probably being the fastest guy from a track standpoint track among the rest. Some of the other guys were more quick than fast. Don’t get me wrong though all of those guys were fast but great football speed doesn’t equate to great track speed.
Robert Williams was hell on the track, bro. He and Pat Ross was always back and forth, and Williams was two years younger. His fastest time in the 200m was 21.7. Thing about Williams, though, he was never dedicated to track or had that work ethic. He only ran when it was track season. I could only imagine if he did have that dedication, and had year round coaching like Harvey McSwain was providing for some of those younger Crest guys.

Sergio is older than me, but I saw his times on plaques at SHS, and obviously, McSwain, who was a state 100m Champion, was before my time, but he won with a time of 10.5.

Williams is the fastest Golden Lion I have ever seen personally, though. I also saw the times of Shawn Perry, Cedric Surratt, and Tony Mauney with 100m times under 11 seconds, those dudes could fly. In my opinion, anything under 11 seconds is burner speed, especially in high school. Heck, 11 seconds is fast and alittle over it. You’re absolutely right, though, there’s a difference between track speed and football speed, no doubt.

Last edited:
Robert Williams was hell on the track, bro. He and Pat Ross was always back and forth, and Williams was two years younger. His fastest time in the 200m was 21.7. Thing about Williams, though, he was never dedicated to track or had that work ethic. He only ran when it was track season. I could only imagine if he did have that dedication, and had year round coaching like Harvey McSwain was providing for some of those younger Crest guys.

Sergio is older than me, but I saw his times on plaques at SHS, and obviously, McSwain, who was a state 100m Champion, was before my time, but he won with a time of 10.5.

Williams is the fastest Golden Lion I have ever seen personally, though. I also saw the times of Shawn Perry, Cedric Surratt, and Tony Mauney with 100m times under 11 seconds, those dudes could fly. In my opinion, anything under 11 seconds is burner speed, especially in high school. Heck, 11 seconds is fast and alittle over it. You’re absolutely right, though, there’s a difference between track speed and football speed, no doubt.
Reggie Wilkins was fast fast and was the fastest on the Shrine Bowl team..people always forget about him because he was on some Crest teams that where painful to watch

Reggie Wilkins was fast fast and was the fastest on the Shrine Bowl team..people always forget about him because he was on some Crest teams that where painful to watch
Yeah, I remember him smoking Gaffney defenders in the Battle of the Border that year. They had an angle on him, and he still smoked them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT