ADVERTISEMENT

American Legion Baseball Tiebreaker rules in Area III

Hon Dines

Aug 21, 2002
China Grove, NC
Anyone know the tiebreaker in Area III? Kannapolis and Rowan are tied for first.
They play a non conference game next Monday. Will this be the tiebreaker if they are tied at the end of regular season?

Anyone know the tiebreaker in Area III? Kannapolis and Rowan are tied for first.
They play a non conference game next Monday. Will this be the tiebreaker if they are tied at the end of regular season?
I need to dig this out, will be later as I’m off to game now.

Reactions: Hon Dines
A coin flip over the phone is always my favorite. This has happened in the past, just thought I would throw it in for humor as I don't know the current tiebreaker list.

Reactions: Hon Dines
email Bob and he replied:
AREA III TIE-BREAKER SYSTEM

1 HEAD TO HEAD

2. RECORD AGAINST CONFERENCE FOES STARTING AT THE TOP AND WORKING DOWN STANDINGS UNTIL TIE IS BROKEN.

if teams in area 3 played each other 1 time , head to head would be the only tiebreaker needed , unless there is a 3 way tie. more than 1 time in southern division could get a first round bye. each team could play 6 home and 6 away games. northern division teams would only have to play 3 southern division teams on the road and 3 northern division teams on the road, some southern teams would have to play more northern division teams on the road that other sense there is a odd number teams in the northern division

Just reporting facts....there was a solid 4-5 teams that complained about travel the year we setup the plan to have one conference for Area 3. Then about all but one of them scheduled every team for the regular season. I love the guys that try to beat teams by giving themselves an edge by conference structure and other stunts. ****News flash**** the regular season has not meant anything for a long time and it is not possible to allow it to matter because of high school playoffs lasting until the June 2-10th window. The regular season is good for guys to get reps and prepare your team for the playoffs when it matters who wins. You have to eventually beat every team so why grandstand about the regular season to prop your team up to maybe play a round longer than your team is capable. The north\south first round cross-over has taken that angle out anyway.

Just reporting facts....there was a solid 4-5 teams that complained about travel the year we setup the plan to have one conference for Area 3. Then about all but one of them scheduled every team for the regular season. I love the guys that try to beat teams by giving themselves an edge by conference structure and other stunts. ****News flash**** the regular season has not meant anything for a long time and it is not possible to allow it to matter because of high school playoffs lasting until the June 2-10th window. The regular season is good for guys to get reps and prepare your team for the playoffs when it matters who wins. You have to eventually beat every team so why grandstand about the regular season to prop your team up to maybe play a round longer than your team is capable. The north\south first round cross-over has taken that angle out anyway.
Stanly county is closer to Randolph co and E Randolph than they are to Mocksville.. Mocksville is closer to Lexington , Winston, and High Point than they are to Concord. regular season is important because of byes

cross-over in first round creates more travel ,

Correct, but some teams opposed the one conference approach in my opinion because the north has been stronger from top to bottom for a good while. Crossing over in the first round does potentially create greater distances for travel, but it helps equalize disparity in strength with the two conference structure.

It's impossible to redistrict perfectly. It is not remotely effective to take the number of teams across the state and divide them into 4 Areas based on that. Senior Legion is the main feature so Junior Legion must be the same Area structure. Historically, there have been as many as 3 teams in Area 3 that have tough travel. Harsh travel is unfortunate, but unavoidable. If for example, Area 3 Junior divided out, Kernersville might have to travel to Wayne Co or Pitt Co. for a regular season game. Sometimes policy has to reach for best case scenario because perfect rarely exists. Hope this helps you understand what I was trying to convey better.

Correct, but some teams opposed the one conference approach in my opinion because the north has been stronger from top to bottom for a good while. Crossing over in the first round does potentially create greater distances for travel, but it helps equalize disparity in strength with the two conference structure.
having 2 division hurts the southern division teams because only one team can get bye.

one year our team was 1-5 after 6 games because players still playing school ball. we finished 12-12 in 9 team division when teams played each other 3 times. finished 5th when only 4 teams were in the playoffs . next year went to 8 playoff teams. not sure having only 2 teams in playoffs at JR legion level because most of time they have to go to a tiebreaker to determine the 2rd team in a division. having 4 divisions creates seeding problem, no way of seeding the 4 first place teams.

one year our team was 1-5 after 6 games because players still playing school ball. we finished 12-12 in 9 team division when teams played each other 3 times. finished 5th when only 4 teams were in the playoffs . next year went to 8 playoff teams. not sure having only 2 teams in playoffs at JR legion level because most of time they have to go to a tiebreaker to determine the 2rd team in a division. having 4 divisions creates seeding problem, no way of seeding the 4 first place teams.

Post 36 can tell you about finishing low in regular season due to HS teams going deep into playoffs. Seems he played in the World Series that year in North Dakota.

Reactions: Post 36
It's impossible to redistrict perfectly. It is not remotely effective to take the number of teams across the state and divide them into 4 Areas based on that. Senior Legion is the main feature so Junior Legion must be the same Area structure. Historically, there have been as many as 3 teams in Area 3 that have tough travel. Harsh travel is unfortunate, but unavoidable. If for example, Area 3 Junior divided out, Kernersville might have to travel to Wayne Co or Pitt Co. for a regular season game. Sometimes policy has to reach for best case scenario because perfect rarely exists. Hope this helps you understand what I was trying to convey better.

having 2 division hurts the southern division teams because only one team can get bye.

When I coached, I would prefer to play versus having a bye so I don't see it as negative. Others believe it's an advantage to get a bye so that's obviously debatable. Always thought we stayed better prepared and sharp playing versus practicing. The number of byes have nothing to do with North\South, but the number of teams in the division or conference whichever we call it today. That disappears if we go back to 1 conference for Area 3.

some teams would have less travel changing area,
When I coached, I would prefer to play versus having a bye so I don't see it as negative. Others believe it's an advantage to get a bye so that's obviously debatable. Always thought we stayed better prepared and sharp playing versus practicing. The number of byes have nothing to do with North\South, but the number of teams in the division or conference whichever we call it today. That disappears if we go back to 1 conference for Area 3.
agreed,

looks like cary jr's teams would have less if they played in the same area as their senior team... mint hill and huntersville would have less travel in area 3

Post 36 can tell you about finishing low in regular season due to HS teams going deep into playoffs. Seems he played in the World Series that year in North Dakota.

That's always a good topic to talk about Sportsnut!! We played our regular season games for a while with only 2 Senior players. Took our lumps and finished 6th in the Northern Division. Almost every time I see a certain coach to remain nameless, he talks about how they planned to compete for the Area championship that year and we beat them with a bunch of Jr. kids. Our young kids had a blast, and of course I did also. It turned into something really special when we got full strength and healthy. Never wrote our best lineup until the 3rd round of the playoffs due to injuries. Kinda cool that we've had 4 appearances from Area III teams in the World Series since 2009.

Rowan Co. - 2009 in Fargo, ND
Kernersville - 2010 Spokane, WA (last year of moving site)
Rowan Co. - 2016 Shelby (National Runner-Up)
Randolph Co. - 2017 Shelby

That's always a good topic to talk about Sportsnut!! We played our regular season games for a while with only 2 Senior players. Took our lumps and finished 6th in the Northern Division. Almost every time I see a certain coach to remain nameless, he talks about how they planned to compete for the Area championship that year and we beat them with a bunch of Jr. kids. Our young kids had a blast, and of course I did also. It turned into something really special when we got full strength and healthy. Never wrote our best lineup until the 3rd round of the playoffs due to injuries. Kinda cool that we've had 4 appearances from Area III teams in the World Series since 2009.

Rowan Co. - 2009 in Fargo, ND
Kernersville - 2010 Spokane, WA (last year of moving site)
Rowan Co. - 2016 Shelby (National Runner-Up)
Randolph Co. - 2017 Shelby

My bad on ND, getting old, thought y’all played there. I also remember you telling me about nightmare travel home when you guys were beat out?

Couple of things from Regionals & WS. The kids “had” to have a coach present to leave our motel while in Regionals & WS, but they could fly home and stay in a motel during a layover without an adult. No females in rooms, “NOT EVEN THEIR MOM” is what one tournament official yelled at me at orientation. After the first night in the Regionals, I told my AD that we must be the favorite cause we got unbelievablely strict rules and they put us in a motel with two teams that acts like they are at Mardi Gras!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT