ADVERTISEMENT

This Is BullCat Country!

mhs95

Sep 7, 2017
Mark your calendars for October 12th! That is the date of the next school board meeting and EVERYONE needs to attend. Murphy, Andrews, and HD fans and alumni it is time you let your voice be heard concerning this school consolidation crap!

The powers that be (mostly Andrewsians) would like nothing better than to see Murphy dissolved and are well on their way to accomplishing that. I have spoken to several people concerning the issue and from my understanding at the last meeting Murphy supporters were in very low numbers. We need a huge turnout at this next meeting to let them know that nobody but them wants this!

The list below are what they have determined to be our options with Option 3 being their "pick".

o Option 1: Renovations. Each School in the County is renovated. Cost estimate: $79,414,910

o Option 2: Phased Renovations of Priority #1 and #2 items. Cost estimate: $27,429,416

o Option 3: 2 new K-12 schools and a new Early College (for all three communities to share). Cost estimate: $156,251,523

o Option 4: 3 new K-12 schools and a new Early College. Murphy, Andrews, and Hiwassee
Dam each build a new K-12 school. Cost estimate: $179,171,715

o Option 5: 1 new 9-12 school, new early college building, and new alternative Oaks school.
Cost estimate: $55,027,500

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, how would Andrews be the source of all the power in Cherokee County? No disrespect meant to anybody, but I always thought Andrews played second fiddle to Murphy in all the local politics over there.

I'm totally against it let's make that clear. BUT I know all of the Andrews Board Members and Superintendent very well. I can honestly say I don't think they are against Murphy or are doing it to harm Murphy. They are all about education and don't want to pour anymore money into aging schools that have been bandaged up for many years. My one request would be if we do build new schools would be to take better care of our facilities and better maintain them. I really want to see our 3 schools continue and I have no kids in school

I'm totally against it let's make that clear. BUT I know all of the Andrews Board Members and Superintendent very well. I can honestly say I don't think they are against Murphy or are doing it to harm Murphy. They are all about education and don't want to pour anymore money into aging schools that have been bandaged up for many years. My one request would be if we do build new schools would be to take better care of our facilities and better maintain them. I really want to see our 3 schools continue and I have no kids in school
I can believe most of that Wildcat, but for Conley to suggest the "East" high school be in east Andrews is beyond absurd. I don't care if Andrews Elementary is the newest school in the county, to suggest that be the site of the eastern high school is moronic.

Do you really think anyone from Murphy or Peachtree is going to send their kids all the way up to east Andrews for high school? They'll send em to the early college, out of county, home school em, or take them to the west high school in Ranger out of spite before they send them to Andrews.

Picking a location that is actually to the east of the Andrews town limits is absurd for a "centralized" eastern high school. Closer to Marble would be better if this plan has to happen--ideally something around the junction of 141 and 74. But then you run into the problem of having land/buildings unused in Andrews.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Heard the powers that be are considering annexing the town of Murphy and property along the US-64 corridor east to Clay County. This will solve some of the problems as Murphy is closer to Hayesville than Andrews. This option will be much better geographically for the kids in what is now the eastern part of Cherokee County (Brasstown area) soon to be western part of Clay County. Just think all the little Bulldogs could soon be Yeller Jackets!!! :D

I can believe most of that Wildcat, but for Conley to suggest the "East" high school be in east Andrews is beyond absurd. I don't care if Andrews Elementary is the newest school in the county, to suggest that be the site of the eastern high school is moronic.

Do you really think anyone from Murphy or Peachtree is going to send their kids all the way up to east Andrews for high school? They'll send em to the early college, out of county, home school em, or take them to the west high school in Ranger out of spite before they send them to Andrews.
I agree totally. I was expecting Marble area. That location at the Middle School makes no sense to me

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT