ADVERTISEMENT

The WOLF of 1A basketball

utbb01

Jun 26, 2001
Well this weekend is the Phenom top 80 in Greensboro and my main man coach Gould will be working as one of the counselors!! I look for this to be a productive weekend for WSP reloading efforts!! Along with coach Gould will be Howard West of Forsyth Country Day and the Muse brothers of East and Tabor. Big weekend for Forsyth County hoops!!!

You make a phenomenal point for the inequality and hypocrisy of 1A athletics - Coach Gould will look to have a productive weekend "reloading" for WSP. I'm sure all of the people he will "talk to/consult" will live within WSFCS districts as well.

Good luck to the Bishop Girls team ( I mean the Steelers 11th) this weekend in Ga. With Coach R Bishop assistant the head coach. Took a look at the Steelers page, what a neat idea Coach R, you coach the best 6th-8th graders. Nice way to get them in your system. I'm sure there all catholic. NCHSAA this is a joke!!!

Typical ignorant post... of the 12 girls on that team there are 4 Bishop girls, all who played on the varsity this past year. There are 2 from SW Randolph, 1 from Randleman, 1 from Davie County, 1 from Forsyth Country Day, 2 from Greensboro Page, and 1 from Mt.Airy. Maybe if the girls in the Eastern part of the state cared enough to play AAU ball they might get better and not lose 26 of the last 28 state championship games.

The ignorance and borderline stupidity of people on this board is almost inconceivable.

If Bishop could actually get their full allotment of players from Coach R's Stealers system in the school, Riverside wouldn't have even had the opportunity to gag that game away in Chapel Hill.

Most of the best players playing for the Stealers AAU system play for "traditional" public schools. And as 3daughters mentioned, almost nobody out East plays AAU ball so it's hilarious to hear about from all these folks who suddenly care about basketball despite the fact that they put no emphasis on it.

If the coaches/parents spent half as much time pushing their kids to get better and developing their skills (either at school or in AAU programs) as they do posting on message boards and complaining to anyone who will listen about how unfair life is (great message for the kids fyi), Bishop and Prep would lose 30 games a year every year.
This post was edited on 3/28 4:17 PM by Dave2kMA

Yeah you can go almost every weekend and see young girls from the nwc and the smc. Teams like bishop and Cherokee do benefit from this. Add that with a good youth program and a good hs program and you got continued success. The rules might not be fair but I wouldn't take away from the girls who put weekend after weekend playing to get better. The aau bball west of Raleigh is about nonexistent.

No where have i taken anything away from the girls who give there weekends. I just have a problem that your head coach is the leader of the group. As i stated before, it must be nice to work with the best of the 5th-8th as "their' head coach. Is this how you get them from public schools before 9th grade? Pretty smart. At most 1a schools the girls have to play other sports for your school to have a program. On monday after the state finals, 2/3's of the riverside girls were at another school sport. Do they play aau bb, yes. But it is not organized and manipulated by the school head coach.

Again, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

The VAST majority (as in roughly 95%) of kids on Bishops teams dating back to the beginning of the streak have come from Catholic middle schools. They've had precisely zero incoming public school transfers in that time while having several transfer out to public schools. And again, very few playing for the elite Stealers team play for Bishop (most are from 3A/4A schools). Further to your completely clueless post, Bishop has a number of kids on the girls team that play multiple sports, including their 2 leading scorers from this years group.

A lot of the coaches out west are involved in AAU basketball in some capacity as it helps you develop coaching skills, helps you develop your players and in some cases provides a second revenue source for coaches. It's a culture. The teams in the West work harder and longer than the teams in the East every year. That's why they're better. If you don't like losing, stop whining about it on message boards and fix it. Or you can continue to spread your ignorance and whine when things don't break your way, which is the path you seem to have chosen.

This post was edited on 3/29 1:02 PM by Dave2kMA

Cp you clueless beyond comprehension. The head coach at Bishop, Brian Robinson, heads the WS Stealers but he coaches ZERO AAU teams. My daughter played on Bishops varsity for 4 years and for the AAU winston Salem stealers for 8 years. Never for a single AAU season did she have a Bishop coach as the coach of her AAU team. She had coaches who were the head coaches of Central Davidson, Mt.Tabor, Westchester Country Day and Southwestern Randolph. To suggest that bishop targets AAU kids from the WS Stealers is simply IGNORANT.

Just saw something interesting for the Bishop Lawyers, you will talk your way out of this also. Ind. HS boys basaketball finals today. Bowman Academy out of Gary, having to play up because of no boundaries and there recent sucess. Making them play schools of there boundaries and level. ouur boundaries and Myers Park about the same. Good luck. 3 man, clearly says on steelers page Coach R's spring teams. Looks like is coaching all the young teams. Pretty smart idea.

Originally posted by CP16:
Just saw something interesting for the Bishop Lawyers, you will talk your way out of this also. Ind. HS boys basaketball finals today. Bowman Academy out of Gary, having to play up because of no boundaries and there recent sucess. Making them play schools of there boundaries and level. ouur boundaries and Myers Park about the same. Good luck. 3 man, clearly says on steelers page Coach R's spring teams. Looks like is coaching all the young teams. Pretty smart idea.
Bishop proposed doing exactly what they're doing in Indiana. NCHSAA voted it down. Get over it.

A good team will try to play the strongest teams out there. It's the best way to improve. Bishop does that within the rules of the NCHSAA. If you bothered to look at their non-conference schedule, you'd see that. If you spent as much time and energy trying to improve your team as you do trying to tear down their opponents, they might have a shot at the title.

The state gave the schools 1 week to turn in a vote. Large percentage that voted said bump you guys up. They problem is most 3a /4a vote at all. They either do not want you ether or do not think it effects them. They did not vote.

Keep trying to come up with reason why girls basketball in the east is so pathetic and "pathetic" is being kind.

This post was edited on 3/30 1:14 PM by 3daughters

CP 16 you are getting your votes confused. You are referring to the vote to kick out the Catholic Schools. That would not have mattered if it passed. The General Assembly was ready to reverse it if it had passed and in addition, lawyers were also set to file an injunction and have it stopped after the vote tally came in and before the General Assembly would have even had to take care of it. But months after that vote failed, McGuinness supported a proposal to go up in classification to 2A, and then 3A and 4A if they won there. The NCHSAA voted it down. You are referring to two different things. But again, probably a waste of time discussing.

The schools voted down the plan to oust the parochials. The reason there was only one week because it was a blindside move by the Rowan schools that put it in motion. Rowan showed themselves to he the biggest hypocrites in the state and absolutely terribly ineffective strategists. They did not want to give the plan much lead time.

Whether to move Bishop in in class dependent on sports success was the NCHSAA admin's decision. There needs to be more study. I personally do not like that plan. I also do not like Bishop in 1A.

At the recent football coaches meeting I was told that a boys basketball team in the NW (not Bishop or WSP) played over 30 games together during the summer. AAU, travel ball, showcase teams, and strictly in baseball summer league, American Legion, and other forms of the sport are well in play. Pointing the finger at Bishop seems to be trivial in this case. As I wrote above I do not like Bishop in 1A but the continued finger pointing without the facts does not help. Paranoia bore out of fabrication is not going to work.

One thing I take from all of the non football sports having so many options is that it hampers the strength of football at the bargaining table in high school sports. This is a national item and not just NC. The state associations have zero control of most of these other alliances which gives those sports more strength as they grow outside the confines of the state regulations.

In the 1-A the west has several very good programs. In the east there are some good teams but not as good as Bishop and maybe a few others. I was at the Smith Center, and watched the 1-A championship game. I didn't have a rooting interest but imo Riverside was as good if not better ,in that game,than Bishop. Riverside missed several all alone lay ups. The girl from Riverside was the best player on the floor. I would think that Riverside could play with any 1-A school. But to your question maybe it comes down to talent. There may be more talent wanting to play girls basketball in the west. Maybe it's better coaching. The play seems more balanced in the other classes.
I'm not trying to start anything I'm just asking, if you take Bishop out of the equation do you think the west still dominates the 1-A? IDK,i don't keep up with girls basketball as some folks.

The difference between the east and west is staggering in girls basketball as indicated by the results.

I tried to answer your question but I don't keep up with girls basketball as a lot of folks do. Maybe someone else can give it a shot.
I'm not aware of any local girls AAU team or any girls summer league. Again, just because i'm not aware doesn't mean there's not. I'm sure there's girls summer leagues in other area's of eastern nc.
As far as championship results, i had to look it up.

West 2 (1-A,4-A)
East 2 (2-A,3-A)

The 2A champ is HP Andrews which is located west of Greensboro. Not very "eastern". They eat Lexington style BBQ there.

mariners... I was specifically referring to 1A girls basketball. Over the past years the teams from the east in championship games have had a couple of good players and no depth on the bench at all. In warmups it was not unusual to see a good number of girls not even able to do a left handed layup or even go off the correct foot. The lack of basic skills was staggering. It's pretty hard to be competitive when you are trying to teach basic skills at the high school level, they need to start the girls much younger and play ball not just during the high school season. Every girl on Bishops team, and almost every other team in the NW1A, (along with great SMC teams like Cherokee and Hayesville), play ball almost year round. They also play other high school sports as well in addition to focusing on basketball. Not knocking the east teams, just that the emphasis on basketball just isn't there starting at an early age and it shows in the lack of depth of the east teams. Literally there are 6-8 teams in the west better than the east champion, except for this year and then only because of 1 great player.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT