ADVERTISEMENT

The weirdest thing I’ve ever seen. Please explain.

Darkhorse04

Dec 5, 2006
Ok this was around the 05’-08’ era. I’m not 100% sure if the date/year. Union high school in Sampson County was playing a home game. Dr. John Ward was the coach at the time running the single wing. Here is the play in question:

On 4th down and a mile on there own 30 they line up for a FG. It’s obviously now like a 70-80Yard FG attempt. The opposing team didn’t rush it, they didn’t put anyone back for return. Instead of the opposing team getting the ball where the line of scrimmage was when said FG was attempted, they got the ball on their own 20-25 I think. Now I’ve always assumed their was a rule specific just to HS where if a FG is missed it automatically goes back to 20 or 25 but I’m not 100% sure.

I’ve wondered what in the hell did I witness for years. Help.

Ok this was around the 05’-08’ era. I’m not 100% sure if the date/year. Union high school in Sampson County was playing a home game. Dr. John Ward was the coach at the time running the single wing. Here is the play in question:

On 4th down and a mile on there own 30 they line up for a FG. It’s obviously now like a 70-80Yard FG attempt. The opposing team didn’t rush it, they didn’t put anyone back for return. Instead of the opposing team getting the ball where the line of scrimmage was when said FG was attempted, they got the ball on their own 20-25 I think. Now I’ve always assumed their was a rule specific just to HS where if a FG is missed it automatically goes back to 20 or 25 but I’m not 100% sure.

A missed field goal is treated the same as a punt. Unless ball goes into the end zone which it would be dead by rule and brought out to the 20 yard line. Then if ball does not go to end zone it is spotted where it rolls dead at or if returned where returner is tackled. Not sure why defensive team didn’t rush, they were certainly allowed as they would be for any scrimmage kick. Over the years I have seen this done many times, usually told the reason why is no punter.

I have a feeling I know one of the weirdest things that FBRef has seen! Unfortunately I was a part of it! :D:rolleyes:

Only in the NFL does the ball go back to the previous LOS. It's to discourage FGs which are considered the most boring play in the NFL. Going for it on 4th down is much more exciting.

Funny story. We had Lumberton @ Pinecrest, 10 or so years ago. Pinecrest always has great kickers, usually the product of a strong soccer program. In any case, they attempted what was close to a 50 yard FG. It fell just short in the end zone. Touchback. The Lumberton fans went nuts when we spotted the ball at the 20 yard line. Coach Mike Brill, responding to the fans, called timeout and came charging out onto the field. He got about 15 yards from our crew, slowed to a trot and said, "I f****d up, didn't I?"

"Yes sir, I'm afraid so!"

"Damn! That's what I get for listening to fans!"

Always remember, Sunday rules are very different from Friday night rules.

FBref did you ever see or hear about the play that happened Clinton vs Bunn in playoffs a few years back? It led to Bunn winning the Eastern 2A title and a berth in the 2A championship I believe against Monroe.

*Shelby was 2AA that year for all you Shelby guys* lol.

Last edited:
Ok now you have me intrigued. Please do explain if ok to.

When I was coaching at Douglas Byrd HS, I was also the head JV coach in 2007, and in one game at E.E. Smith, we got three consecutive delay of game penalties because the kicker wouldn't kick the ball! Strangest thing I've ever seen. It was his first game as a kicker, and playing football. He had somewhat of a language barrier too!

FBref did you ever see or hear about the play that happened Clinton vs Bunn in playoffs a few years back? It led to Bunn winning the Eastern 2A title and a berth in the 2A championship I believe against Monroe.

*Shelby was 2AA that year for all you Shelby guys* lol.

I can't recall. What happened?

When I was coaching at Douglas Byrd HS, I was also the head JV coach in 2007, and in one game at E.E. Smith, we got three consecutive delay of game penalties because the kicker wouldn't kick the ball! Strangest thing I've ever seen. It was his first game as a kicker, and playing football. He had somewhat of a language barrier too!

Just to clarify, it was three consecutive penalties on the same exact kickoff, not three kickoff's in a row!

Just to clarify, it was three consecutive penalties on the same exact kickoff, not three kickoff's in a row!

Clinton is up by 3. Bunn is driving very late in game. With 8 seconds left their QB scrambles and slips down, rushes to the line and spikes the ball. However, the clock was at ZERO before the spike took place. The official (not the official behind line of scrimmage or head official) comes in calls for a conference while Clinton is celebrating. Tells clock operator to put 1 second back on clock. They make a FG to tie, they score first make XP, we score miss XP.

Not only was clock expired but the entire line was moving at the spike and wasn’t set which would’ve been a penalty and the clock would expired after the penalty because and correct me if I’m wrong but the offense cannot benefit from a penalty in saving time especially after a running play where clock was running. Even if they had put 1 second on clock and clock would start on whistle after the penalty they couldn’t execute a spike in one second with time left to kick a FG.

I’ve heard from multiple people that the NCHSAA submitted a written apology to our school and FB program after watching our submitted video which shown the clock expire before the spike and the uncalled illegal motion. Worst missed call I’ve ever witnessed.

Evidently someone judged that the clock didn't expire. I have no idea whether it did or not.

Let's suppose 1 second was put back on the clock and the illegal shift was called. They wouldn't need to spike the ball a second time. They could bring on their FG team during the penalty enforcement. They would only need get set for at least 1 second and snap the ball as soon as the whistle blew.

In college, there would be a 10 second run off. But there's no such rule in high school.

Yea it was a tough tough situation for those kids. I think the apology letter said it all. But we’re human. Time moves on. Was just saying of all the games I’ve broadcasted (upcoming 16th year) I can never remember a call that meant so much that was so clear to everyone but the 1 guy. Oh well, we again, move on. Thanks fbref for the responses and chit chat. I think this may be my new favorite message board section lol

Reactions: FBRef
Back to the FG question, could we get Nick Saban to weigh in? I hear he has experience with returned FGs......

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT