ADVERTISEMENT

The way too early Charlotte Observer Sweet Sixteen

Rock Hill Southe Pointe and Harding both lost a lot from last year’s teams especially South Pointe. Shelby is good but not up to their usual standards. This is kind of crazy to say but Shelby talent wise is the 3rd best team in CC right now. I think they take a step back also. Sun Valley is overrated in my opinion despite their all world qb. Crest and maybe North Meck both should be in here between 10-16. MC, Vance, NM, and Hough form a strong conference foursome.

Last edited:
Rock Hill Southe Pointe and Harding both lost a lot from last year’s teams especially South Pointe. Shelby is good but not up to their usual standards. This is kind of crazy to say but Shelby talent wise is the 3rd best team in CC right now. I think they take a step back also. Sun Valley is overrated in my opinion despite their all world qb. Crest and maybe North Meck both should be in here between 10-16. MC, Vance, NM, and Hough form a strong conference foursome.
Sun Valley lost a ton of starters...15 I think including a number of guys up front so theyll have to replace a lot of people. Howell was running for his life at times a year ago and I'd expect him to be running more if they don't have the same talent level along the line.
Crest I thought should've been at least ranked, but I'm hearing question marks about them from people around the area so who knows, but I'm sure theyll be good as always.
Think Marvin Ridge did lose a lot to graduation so going to be interesting to see what they do in 2018.
I also think Harding takes a step back, if Griner was still there I'd be more high on them, but with a new coach and a good amount of talent gone I think they'll still be good, but not 4A state title good.
Also AL Brown just lost one of their star DEs to Providence Day so makes me a bit weary on them, already had question marks and this doesn't help.
Dark horse: Vance to win the 4A title. Stacked with talent and Brand is an excellent coach and they were a few plays away from being in the title game a year ago.

I'm honestly not sure why Maiden even made the list considering they're not even the favorite to win our conference this year but kudos to them.

The power ponies should be much improved from last year, but something about Crest is really sketchy right now. This former head coach suddenly wanting to be an assistant under Eddins smells fishy. Also despite all the veterans coming back I don’t see Crest being able to stop the likes of SP or Shelby. The power ponies might be able to stop King’s Mountain but with the game being at Kings Mountain I don’t see it. Kings Mountain also has some explaining to do. The mountaineers have to figure out how to get over this playoff curse they can’t seem to over come. So in conclusion. I wouldn’t have the power ponies or kings mountain in the top ten. As for a hibriten being a 2A school, I could see them being ranked number 1 potentially only because because I know for a fact there has been years that Shelby would have made schools like catholic look stupid.

Reactions: SHS LION
The power ponies should be much improved from last year, but something about Crest is really sketchy right now. This former head coach suddenly wanting to be an assistant under Eddins smells fishy. Also despite all the veterans coming back I don’t see Crest being able to stop the likes of SP or Shelby. The power ponies might be able to stop King’s Mountain but with the game being at Kings Mountain I don’t see it. Kings Mountain also has some explaining to do. The mountaineers have to figure out how to get over this playoff curse they can’t seem to over come. So in conclusion. I wouldn’t have the power ponies or kings mountain in the top ten. As for a hibriten being a 2A school, I could see them being ranked number 1 potentially only because because I know for a fact there has been years that Shelby would have made schools like catholic look stupid.
Ok? And? Who cares? They got beaten only because the week before Mount Pleasant physically beat them up in a 7-0 game. I think Shelby might win again if they didn’t have to play a great MTP teams.

Sun Valley lost a ton of starters...15 I think including a number of guys up front so theyll have to replace a lot of people. Howell was running for his life at times a year ago and I'd expect him to be running more if they don't have the same talent level along the line.
Crest I thought should've been at least ranked, but I'm hearing question marks about them from people around the area so who knows, but I'm sure theyll be good as always.
Think Marvin Ridge did lose a lot to graduation so going to be interesting to see what they do in 2018.
I also think Harding takes a step back, if Griner was still there I'd be more high on them, but with a new coach and a good amount of talent gone I think they'll still be good, but not 4A state title good.
Also AL Brown just lost one of their star DEs to Providence Day so makes me a bit weary on them, already had question marks and this doesn't help.
Dark horse: Vance to win the 4A title. Stacked with talent and Brand is an excellent coach and they were a few plays away from being in the title game a year ago.

I agree with your Vance statement about being a title contender. I’ve been waiting on those guys to break through and get them one.

Ok? And? Who cares? They got beaten only because the week before Mount Pleasant physically beat them up in a 7-0 game. I think Shelby might win again if they didn’t have to play a great MTP teams.

Shelby suffered from not having playmakers at the wideout spots last year. It made them one dimensional on offense. MTP exposes it in the playoffs and Hibriten took advantage of it the following week.

I agree with your Vance statement about being a title contender. I’ve been waiting on those guys to break through and get them one.
Someone on CV said they should be 4AA this year, if that’s the case then it changes everything. Imagine 4AA west: Creek, Hough, Butler, Myers Park, Vance. Damn

Reactions: shutdownD24
Someone on CV said they should be 4AA this year, if that’s the case then it changes everything. Imagine 4AA west: Creek, Hough, Butler, Myers Park, Vance. Damn
Yeah they moved the lines so were getting 400 of mallard creeks....don't 4get page COULD be 4aa also

The way I understand the Sweet 16 poll it is likely state champions not a power poll.

A lot of criteria but you are correct a team’s chance to win a state championship is a huge component. A 1A team could be ranked first although they may not be the “best” team.

Reactions: beamer24
I have always considered the Disturbers list to be nothing more than a popularity love fest with the same teams year after year....... For a while, they didnt consider Crest, Kings Mtn, Shelby, or Burns to be in their "coverage area" so they were excluded.....I haven't really kept up with it in the last several years so I'm glad they at least came to their senses and went back to including teams that were not inside the Charlotte city limits.....

Reactions: blkgolddynasty
The Observer is interesting, they didn't include Cleveland County teams for a bit, yet included Richmond County and Anson County. Areas with a combined two HS'.
Either way, the poll I think is a good representation of where the teams stand now, BUT we all know pre-season polls don't mean anything.

The Observer is interesting, they didn't include Cleveland County teams for a bit, yet included Richmond County and Anson County. Areas with a combined two HS'.
Think the decision of what schools to include in the CO coverage area had to do with circulation numbers in the area the school was located.

Reactions: CatholicCougs14
Think the decision of what schools to include in the CO coverage area had to do with circulation numbers in the area the school was located.
It does, you’d figure there’d be more circulation in Cleveland County than in Anson

It does, you’d figure there’d be more circulation in Cleveland County than in Anson

I think a lot of folks in that area may lean more to the Gaston Gazette.

People complain when the Observer does not cover their area but those areas have a local paper, also. In the early part of 2000 the CO had three or four full time reporters on high school sports. Now they have one. I do not see how Langston does what he does.

Reactions: beamer24
I think a lot of folks in that area may lean more to the Gaston Gazette.

People complain when the Observer does not cover their area but those areas have a local paper, also. In the early part of 2000 the CO had three or four full time reporters on high school sports. Now they have one. I do not see how Langston does what he does.
Same, I remember a few years ago they had Corey Inscoe who did most South Charlotte teams. He was great, think he works on Charlotte Five now. He was one of the better ones I thought.

Never surprising to see my Raiders left out of the preseason Sweet Sixteen only to find themselves highly rated by playoff time. Observer is a joke with their rankings.

Who is favored to Wins Maidens Conference?? Lincolnton and East have down years every now and again but are they suppose to be strong this year? If unbeaten JV team they might be ok.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT