ADVERTISEMENT

The Strong possibility of Football starting in the Spring

nepsy7

Oct 3, 2009
If this happens, how will it effect players and teams of players leaving for college in the Spring?

Last edited:
I think this is the best option but isn’t the ideal option as this still has a negative side.

I think this would hurt this senior class and it isn’t fair to me esp those who Need film as they may not have many offers or something so it’s a tough situation

I believe this is what is going to happen. I don't think school systems like the idea of jumping into the water now. There is legislation being introduced in other states to halt all high school athletics. One in particular is Louisiana of all places. I think the colleges will adjust but it will be tough on kids trying to get offers. The ones that have them might just past and continue to get bigger stronger and faster. I could see a lot of these kids loading up on online courses so they can graduate in December and enroll into their college January of 21 and forget about high school ball in the spring of 21. The kids that are not in that position will play. Could be a watered down season.

There really aren't that many kids that would be leaving to enter college early and miss the spring. Switching seasons to have a chance for all to play some games is better than playing none. Spring sports could easily be played in the fall. Football kids that run track can use that to get in shape for the spring season. Then hopefully have a dead period for football after the spring season through June, and get back on a normal schedule for Fall 2021.

Reactions: KW23
There really aren't that many kids that would be leaving to enter college early and miss the spring. Switching seasons to have a chance for all to play some games is better than playing none. Spring sports could easily be played in the fall. Football kids that run track can use that to get in shape for the spring season. Then hopefully have a dead period for football after the spring season through June, and get back on a normal schedule for Fall 2021.
I know some high profile kids like Drake Maye, are allegedly leaving early. A lot of these kids are finished with classes after the Fall. I know Trent Simpson and Dustin Noeller for us, left in January. They’re at Clemson & Limestone. Stephon Thompson from Vance, left early to Syracuse. How many will stick around to play high school vs starting college?

Last edited:
I know some high profile kids like Drake Maye, are allegedly leaving early. A lot of these kids are finished with classes after the Fall. I know Trent Simpson and Dustin Noeller for us, left in January. They’re at Clemson & Limestone. Stephon Thompson from Vance, left early to Syracuse. How many will stick around to play high school vs starting college?

Who cares if some of those outliers leave besides the coach of that team? Most students will still be around to play and that is what should matter. Football and sports in general keep a lot of kids in school. So if we lose a few to college early, but 97% of our students get to play by moving football to the spring, that should be the focus/concern. IMO

I’ve always looked at the academic advantage of leaving early, outside of leaving early to learn the system, and getting on the field early. One full semester of school in the Spring. Than you have the possibility of attending 2 sessions of summer school. When your freshman class arrives, you’ll practically be a sophomore. Graduate early, and start working on your Masters. Every kid believes they’re playing in the league. Leave with a undergraduate & masters. Take advantage!

Drake will stay to play in the spring if this occurs, and then he could also play basketball again. He has said Mack Brown will support him

Drake will stay to play in the spring if this occurs, and then he could also play basketball again. He has said Mack Brown will support him
I would understand him staying with the QB situation at Carolina. No one is competing against Howell for that #1 spot. Enjoy his senior year.

saw where the mouth of the south had it out there that football was moving to spring. no one knows at some point it they need to say if we have this number of known cases we will not play and then the parents can decide. There has to be an acceptable threshold of cases because we know its not going to be zero. What is acceptable is the question and is that by county?

saw where the mouth of the south had it out there that football was moving to spring. no one knows at some point it they need to say if we have this number of known cases we will not play and then the parents can decide. There has to be an acceptable threshold of cases because we know its not going to be zero. What is acceptable is the question and is that by county?
High school sports can’t be decided on a county basis. And I don’t think it’s number of cases, though that’s a factor. Hospitalizations and deaths are major factors. These decisions aren’t unique to North Carolina. States led by governors from both parties are struggling with the same issues. Some are already backtracking on some opening decisions.
One more goes down as the Ivy League announced there will be no fall sports. That league is more similar to high school as gate receipts are critical with little television revenue.

Most likely football want be played in the spring. But if it was to happen. A lot of football talk between Spring and the next fall.

37 players & staff tested positive for the Heels .
Not sure how many of the positives were football players. The info I saw indicated that, of 429 players, coaches and staff tested in all fall sports, 37 tested positive. It’s likely that many were football players just due to the numbers. Some schools have stopped posting numbers for athletes and will only report for the general student population.

Reactions: nepsy7
I was totally against spring football at first but now it’s slowly becoming the only option. My only question is what happens to traditional spring sports? They Already missed one season. So are they supposed to play in the fall in the thick of the virus when it wasn’t a good time to play football?

Who cares if some of those outliers leave besides the coach of that team? Most students will still be around to play and that is what should matter. Football and sports in general keep a lot of kids in school. So if we lose a few to college early, but 97% of our students get to play by moving football to the spring, that should be the focus/concern. IMO

I think from a football fan standpoint we all want to see these high school teams at their best personnel wise and that would be somewhat of a let down to know we won't get the same teams in the spring that would've lined down during the fall.

We have potentially our best team at East Forsyth of the last few years especially O wise and it would extremely suck for us unlike teams who know they probably won't contend this year.

Perspective plays a part in this as well. It's tough regardless all the way around.

Reactions: Blue and Gold22
High school sports can’t be decided on a county basis. And I don’t think it’s number of cases, though that’s a factor. Hospitalizations and deaths are major factors. These decisions aren’t unique to North Carolina. States led by governors from both parties are struggling with the same issues. Some are already backtracking on some opening decisions.
One more goes down as the Ivy League announced there will be no fall sports. That league is more similar to high school as gate receipts are critical with little television revenue.
But a county school system can decide if they want to play unless I'm just way off the farm on this. Schools have decided not to play for less reasons. Few years back a team out west that was horrible decided not to play in the playoffs. Also schools often don't play if numbers are down. I would think a county system could make this call as well.

But a county school system can decide if they want to play unless I'm just way off the farm on this. Schools have decided not to play for less reasons. Few years back a team out west that was horrible decided not to play in the playoffs. Also schools often don't play if numbers are down. I would think a county system could make this call as well.

But who do they play if no other counties are playing?

I agree that a county could opt out. What I meant was that counties can’t decide to play if the NCHSAA says no. And since conferences often cross county lines, one county playing and another not playing could wreak havoc. But absolutely, any school system, county or city could choose not to play.
Saw where five star CB Tony Grimes will reclassify to 2020 and enroll at UNC for the fall semester. Guess he figured if high school is out, he might as well earn college credits, even if UNC sits out too.

Reactions: Kylar2018
The governor will make the call on high school sports. That is a direct quote from Que Tucker.

Last edited:
No fall or spring sports for HS. Nothing will change until there is a vaccine for this virus, until then, there is no safe way to play contact sports. MLB, MLS, and the NBA are getting ready to learn that the hard way, which will ultimately also lead to a shutdown of the upcoming NFL season.

WCPSS suspended high school sports indefinitely last night, other school districts throughout the state will not be far behind.

The governor will make the call on high school sports. That is a direct quote from aqua Tucker.
I think it’s a combination. The Governor will determine the capacity rules. Then the association and individual school systems will have to decide if they can play within those limits.
Obviously, if it’s 25, it’s a no go. What if it’s 500, socially distanced and wearing masks? Or fifty percent capacity? May work for some, but not all.
The first concern is whether the personal contact in football is a major issue. That will be the primary question, and the Governor and his team will make that call, relying on the medical consensus. But I can see a scenario where Que and the school systems may have some tough decisions to make.

European Soccer is able to resume matches without problems. The key factor is playing the games without fans.

This can be done with american football, basketball, baseball, etc. But in the U.S. it is that people tend to not care and only want to do what they want, so they want to go to the games, which will end up ruining it.

This is why I say, if we want to watch the sports, we need to do it from home on paid live streams and for the pro sports of course there is already TV deals with national and regional coverage.

I agree that a county could opt out. What I meant was that counties can’t decide to play if the NCHSAA says no. And since conferences often cross county lines, one county playing and another not playing could wreak havoc. But absolutely, any school system, county or city could choose not to play.
Saw where five star CB Tony Grimes will reclassify to 2020 and enroll at UNC for the fall semester. Guess he figured if high school is out, he might as well earn college credits, even if UNC sits out too.

Only needed to finish one class, which he'll do within a span of a few weeks.

I listened in on the Zoom meeting with AD, Que Tucker. I was extremely impressed how she’s handling this ordeal..Very well informed.

She is sharp. Been impressed with her for decades. I learned about her family, pillars and leaders of their community. Self made and successful.

No matter where you stand on this I just don't see any HS athletics taking place before January. Even then I think its unlikely.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT