ADVERTISEMENT

The Statewide 1A Conference Review(Week #3)!

Tigertown_a_Rick

Jul 29, 2001
If you are a fan or a High School Team from the state of N.C., one thing that you can generally count on when the Calendar turns to late August or early september is the possibility of game delays, due to tropical systems that have become a yearly routine with a few exceptions now and then...Last week was NO exception as Hurricane Harvey ravaged Southwest Texas, and made it's eventual track northward, causing High School teams around the state to either move their game up to last Thursday, play friday , reschedule games until this past saturday, or play those games on Labor day....With Harvey now in the rearview mirror, folks in the South have now set their sights on the next possible storm as Irma approaches the Leeward Islands....Stay safe everyone if it arrives late next weekend....As for the results and postponements by 1A schools around the state, let's take a look at what happened....

West
-------
SMC(7)
----------
Robbinsville(2-0) joined Cherokee(2-0) at the top of the standings as the Black Knights played on local TV last thursday against the 3A Enka Jets, and basically manhandled them 32-3, which should not come as a surprise since the Black Knights have beaten 72% of their non-conference opponents the last 10 years which leads the SMC...Cherokee was OPEN , and will face the Asheville School, this friday...On friday, Andrews(1-2) picked up their first win(42-0) over the Carolina Gladiators...Swain County(1-2) rallied late, but lost(34-28) to 3A North Henderson....Rosman(0-3) remains the only winless team in the SMC losing an offensive battle(70-42) to 2A Madison County(2-1)....Meanwhile, Murphy(2-1) bounced back from their loss to Franklin by overwhelming(55-16) the Greenwood S.C. Charter School Raptors on Saturday...

NWC(6)
----------
Every NWC team moved their games to Thursday last week with the exception of Bishop McGuinness(0-3) who lost at unbeaten Alleghany on Labor Day(27-16)...Mount Airy(3-0) remained unbeaten and atop the NWC with a convincing road win at Elkin(51-14)...South Stokes(1-2) took 2 overtimes, but beat(39-38) 2A Trinity ...East Surry(1-2) lost a tough one at 2A County rival North Surry(24-20), while both North Stokes(0-3) and WS Prep(0-2) lost road games at 2A West Wilkes(68-0) and 4A WS Reynolds(53-6)...

SPC(8)
---------
Four SPC games were moved to Thursday last week with Bessemer City(3-0) remaining unbeaten with a 35-0 shutout of 2A Chase...Highland Tech's(2-1) unbeaten season ended at South Davidson(31-14), while Pine Lake Prep(2-1) shutout(45-0) Christ the King on the road, and Cherryville(1-2) lost at 2A West Lincoln(44-12)...Thomas Jefferson(3-0) remains tied with BC after thrashing Chatham Central(44-12) on friday...The other 3 games were moved to Labor Day as MICS(2-1) destroyed 2A Graham(68-16), CSOD(1-1) lost a high-scoring(48-46) game at 2A Lake Norman Charter, while Union Academy(2-1) battered(56-6) 2A Central Academy at home...

YVC(8)
----------
Three YVC games were played last Thursday as South Davidson(1-2) won a memorable game( 31-14) against Highland Tech....A game many Wildcat fans thought might not be possible earlier this summer...South Stanly(1-2) earned their first victory, beating(32-20) 2A Jordan-Matthews, while North Moore(1-2) was beaten(29-7) by 2A East Montgomery who is unbeaten, and will host unbeaten West Montgomery(2-0) this coming friday...Chatham Central(1-2) lost on friday(44-12) at Thomas Jefferson...Three other YVC games were played on Labor Day as Albemarle(1-2) was shut out(22-0) at home by 2A Eastern Randolph(, North Rowan(2-1) outscored(46-37) 2A Lexington in an offensive showdown, while unbeaten North Stanly(3-0) hammered(56-21) 2A West Stanly in Spencer...

1A/2A WHC(3)
-------------------
Both Mitchell Co.(3-0) and Polk County(2-0) remain unbeaten as the Mountaineers destroyed(60-9) Trinity Academy Tenn, while the Wolverines also won, beating(35-14) 3A R-S Central...2A Madison County(2-1) scored on the 2nd play from scrimmage, and never looked back beating Rosman(70-42)...Avery County(1-2) was knocked around(49-8) by their guest from 3A Watauga, while 2A Owen(0-2) remained winless after being shutout(52-0) by 3A rivals A.C.Reynolds... 2A Mountain Heritage(2-0) remains unbeaten as their game at 2A Salisbury was cancelled, and will not be made up...

1A/2A MVC
---------------
Four MVC games were played last Thursday with 1A East Wilkes(3-0) remaining unbeaten after a 42-0 shutout against 2A Forbush...1A Starmount(0-3) remains winless on the season after a tough loss(22-20) to 2A West Stokes...Elkin(1-2) lost their 2nd straight as unbeaten Mount Airy hammered(51-14) the Bucking-Elks...2A West Wilkes(2-0) remained unbeaten smashing(68-0) North Stokes..2A North Wilkes(2-0) will host the Vikings this friday as they were Idle last week...On friday, Ashe County(0-3) was shutout at home by 2A Hibriten(42-0)....Two MVC games were played on Labor Day as 1A Alleghany(3-0) remained unbeaten with a 27-16 win over Bishop McGuinness, while 2A Wilkes Central(2-1) beat(34-19) 2A Surry Central in Wilkesboro...

1A East
-----------
Atlantic-6(4 This year)
-------------
The season never got started for Cape Hatteras as the Hurricanes were unable to field a team this year....On friday, Columbia(0-2) lost at home to Northside-PT(50-20)...Unbeaten Bear Grass(3-0 & 1-0) won their first ever conference game beating(54-22) Mattamuskeet(0-3 & 0-1)), but the Bears will have a bigger challenge this friday when they host Manteo..Creswell's(0-2) game at home against Cape Hatteras was cancelled as mentioned above...

Albemarle Atheletic(6)
-----------------------------
The Aces(3-0) of Edenton Holmes will likely remain as the 2nd ranked 1A team after shutting-out(49-0) 2A Pasquotank last Thursday...In other Thursday games, Pamlico stunned Plymouth(0-3) in 2 overtimes(40-39), while Camden County(1-2) was shutout by 2A Northeastern(65-0)....Gates County(2-1) also went to overtime, but beat(34-28) visiting Bertie County...On friday, Manteo's(2-1) unbeaten season ended(19-7) at 2A First Flight, while Perquimans(0-3) was shut out(61-0) by unbeaten Southside...

Coastal Plains(7)
----------------------
Two CPC games were played last Thursday as Top Ranked Tarboro(3-0) beat 3A Northern Nash(42-7), while Pamlico(2-1) stunned(40-39 2OT) Plymouth on the road...On Friday, unbeaten Southside(3-0) shutout(61-0) Perquimans on the road, while Northside-PT(2-1) beat Columbia on the road 50-20...Three games were scheduled for Labor Day with Riverside-Martin(2-1) beating(55-22) fellow CPC foe South Creek(1-2) in a non-conference battle, while Jones Senior(0-3) remained winless after being shutout(48-0) by East Carteret...

Carolina(6)
--------------
Five CC games were played last Thursday with both Lakewood(3-0) and North Duplin(3-0) remaining unbeaten after home wins over Lejeune(41-0) and 2A South Lenoir(42-6)...Princeton's(2-1) unbeaten season ended at 2A Farmville Central(41-12), while Rosewood(2-1) came away with a convincing(27-6)win in Goldsboro over previously unbeaten Spring Creek...Hobbton's(0-3) dismal season continued as the Wildcats were shutout(48-0) at 2A North Johnston...Union's(1-1) home contest against Pender County was moved to Monday September 11th....

TRAC(7)
-----------
Five TRAC contest were played last Thursday with Northampton(2-1) stunning unbeaten 2A Warren County(22-17), while Kipp Pride(0-3) remained winless losing(33-8) at unbeaten Granville Central...Weldon(0-3)lost at home to unbeaten 2A Roanoke Rapids(42-6)...Halifax County and TRAC winless foes SE and NW played a non-conference game in Halifax with Southeast prevailing 28-13...On friday, Rocky MT Prep(2-1) annihilated(72-8) NE Carolina Prep in Rocky Mount...North Edgecombe(0-2) was OPEN, and will host top-ranked Tarboro this friday...

1A/2A Three Rivers(3)
---------------------------
Only 1 TRC game was played last week with 1A East Columbus(0-2) losing at home(13-6) to Sandhills Home School last Thursday...Five TRC games were scheduled for Labor Day with unbeaten 2A East Bladen(2-0) Shut out(34-0) 3A North Brunswick, 2A Fairmont(1-1) lost(30-20) at home to 4A Wilm Ashley, 2A West Bladen(2-0) remained unbeaten with a 20-6 win over 2A Midway, 2A South Columbus(2-0) also remained unbeaten with a win(20-12) at Loris SC, and 1A South Robeson(0-2) was blown out(50-6) at Lake View S.C....Four TRC teams were OPEN last week, and all 4 will face Conference opponents this friday with 2A Whiteville(2-0) hosting East Bladen in a key TRC 2A matchup, 2A Red Springs(2-0) traveling to South Columbus for another big 2A matchup, 2A Saint Pauls(0-2) hosting East Columbus, and 1A West Columbus(0-2) hosting 1A South Robeson in a key head to head 1A TRC game...

1A/2A Coastal-8(3)
-------------------------
One game was played last Thursday with Lejeune(0-3) being shutout at Lakewood...On friday, 2A Trask(2-1) beat 3A South Brunswick 20-13, while 2A SW Onslow(1-2) won their first game at White Oak 45-8...Three C-8 games were scheduled for Labor Day with 1A East Carteret(2-1) blasting(48-0) Jones Sr., 2A Dixon(1-1) at 3A Topsail was moved to Sept 15th,and 2A Richlands(1-2) lost at home(35-8) to Swansboro...On tuesday, 2A Croatan(0-2) lost(40-6) to 3A West Carteret...1A Pender(0-2) will travel to Union on 9/11...

1A/2A Northern Carolina(2)
------------------------------------
7 NCC games were played last Thursday as 2A Roanoke Rapids(3-0) remained unbeaten at Weldon(42-6), 1A Granville Central(2-0) beat Kipp Pride(33-8), while 1A Louisburg(1-2) was shut out by Franklinton(46-0), 2A Bunn(1-2) lost at 3A Southern Nash(55-7),2A N.Vance(0-3) lost to Beddingfield(28-12), 2A S.Vance(1-2) lost at North Lenoir(50-36), while 2A Warren Co(2-1) was stunned(22-17) by 1A Northampton...On friday, 2A South Granville(3-0) beat Ravenscroft(41-12)...2A Webb(0-2) was Open last week..

Comments and Facts as always are welcomed!

Roar Tigers Roar!

Last edited:
Thank you Tigertown for doing all the hard work and the great write-ups. I enjoy reading them.

Appreciate the kind words, and I of course thank the staff of NCPreps for providing the scores, so I can sort through them, and compile the info on one page...It also helps me follow what's going on around the state at the 1A level....The 1,000 character limit does make me edit more than I usually would, but I'm glad to hear that folks appreciate knowing what's happening around the state without having to sort through standings and scoreboards to try and figure out?...

The one thing that I did edit was the fact that Edenton Holmes is No stranger to the A class of football as the Aces claimed 3 Class A Titles in the Mid 50's(54', 56' and 57') before claiming AA titles in 64' & 65'....Of course, they also won the East Title in 1969 when the Titles were split with an East and West Champion, and were beaten in the early 80's in a 3A Eastern Regional Final before finishing as the 2A runnerup to Reidsville last year....They may well earn another Class 1AA trophy in these next 4 years, but Tarboro will likely be their main roadblock to achieving that goal....I edited this info from the original post because I felt that it was too many characters to include, so I decided to include it here....Thanks again, and I will try to find new information each week about a team or two in the 1A class to add to this Report as the season goes by...

Guess that I've got to have something to do now that I don't broadcast games anymore because I still love High School Football, and probably always will!, and like others want to know what's going on around the state in the 1A class...

Roar Tigers Roar!

In 1968 Mount Airy won the West championship under coach Alex Gibbs and 1969 if i remember correctly the were they runner up in the west under coach Hollingsworth but they were 3A then I believe.Alex Gibbs went on to coach college and then Pro football as I remember. Can't remember when 1940s ,50s or 60s Mount Airy & Reidsville had a bitter rivalry and so many fights broke out that they had to start playing on a nuteral field before the series ended.
Updated post ...I found it in the Mount Airy News archives
You can hit the plus top of pages to enlarge to read.

1968 Western Champions page 9A
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=FuNQ1RLggQIC&dat=19681203&printsec=frontpage&hl=en
1969 Western runner up Page 12A
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=FuNQ1RLggQIC&dat=19691202&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

Last edited:
Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
Aces claimed 3 Class A Titles in the Mid 50's(54', 56' and 57') before claiming AA titles in 64' & 65'....Of course, they also won the East Title in 1969 when the Titles were split with an East and West Champion
I believe BK he meant they were 2A in 69 after being 1A in the 50s.

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
Probably.

Most ppl think 1a wasn't a state title until the higher classes were. Not the case though. 1a was a state title in 69 and maybe before. 65 was a western title in 1a.

Good read. In 69 1a wasnt split.

Of course, you know it wasn't BK because your Black Knights beat(14-8) Manteo that year...lol!

The 2A which Edenton was a part of was split with and East and West Champion being crowned, and that was the case between 1967-71...Edenton also shared the East title in 67' as they and Southern Wayne finished in a 26 all tie in the Eastern Championship...

In 1968 Mount Airy won the West championship under coach Alex Gibbs and 1969 if i remember correctly the were they runner up in the west under coach Hollingsworth but they were 3A then I believe.Alex Gibbs went on to coach college and then Pro football as I remember. Can't remember when 1940s ,50s or 60s Mount Airy & Reidsville had a bitter rivalry and so many fights broke out that they had to start playing on a nuteral field before the series ended.
Updated post ...I found it in the Mount Airy News archives
You can hit the plus top of pages to enlarge to read.

1968 Western Champions page 9A
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=FuNQ1RLggQIC&dat=19681203&printsec=frontpage&hl=en
1969 Western runner up Page 12A
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=FuNQ1RLggQIC&dat=19691202&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

Thanks for the lilnks....Mount Airy has the one of the longest and most storied championship history of any present 1A school,and that history is shared by none other than Edenton as Mount Airy won the 1935 Class B title against Edenton 7-0...There were only 2 titles awarded by the State between 1929 thru 1940, and those were Class "A" for the larger schools with Class "B" titles for the smaller ones...Reidsville as you mentioned above had a dominant team during that era as well, and won 3 straight Class B titles from 1930-32'...Edenton beat Reidsville in the 1934 Class B title, so your Bears beat the defending state Class B champion from Edenton in 35'...Between 1936 and 1940, Reidsville claimed 3 more Class B titles in 37',39 and 1940...Mount Airy won the 38 title while the Thomasville Mills home won in 1936...The state reclassified the titles again in 1941-1949 with AA,A and B titles awarded, and Mount Airy won the 42'.46 and 48' Class A titles during that span, and finished as a runnerup in 1941 and 1947...Reidsville was also a prominent team during that era winning Class A titles in 43' and 46' while finishing as a runnerup in 44' and 1949...Again, thanks for sharing the links....It's always good to learn who some of the men were who led some of these great teams from the past....

Roar Tigers Roar

Last edited:
I've edited the orginal post to include monday's results....

Conference play begins this friday in the Three Rivers Conference, and the Game of the Week happens in Whiteville as they entertain East Bladen in a key TRC 2A matchup....The last time that these two teams hooked up for a conference games was back in 2012 when the Eagles beat the Wolfpack 22-14....The Wolfpack are unbeaten, and rested after an OPEN week, while the Eagles are also unbeaten, but will only have 3 days to prepare after playing last night...This should be a dandy, and could go a long way in determining the TRC title this year...In other key 2A matchups West Bladen will host Fairmont in a clash between TRC 2A foes...Both teams played on monday, so rest will not be an advantage for either team...These 2 teams have not played each other since 2012 when Fairmont won a non-conference matchup in impressive fashion beating the Knights 56-9...The Knights are currently unbeaten, and beat the Golden Tornadoes the last time these two teams were in the same conference in 2008 with a convincing 34-8 win, so this one should be another very interesting matchup in the conference opener for both teams...2A unbeaten Red Springs will be rested when they make the trip to Tabor City this friday night to face unbeaten South Columbus who played on Labor day at Loris S.C.....Best I can find, Red Springs has never beaten South Columbus since the new school opened in 1992, and I'm not sure if the Red Devils beat Tabor City either before South Columbus opened?...One thing that I do know is that South Columbus has won the last 4 conference matchups, and both teams will be unbeaten when this game is played this friday...In other TRC matchups friday, 2A Saint Pauls who was OPEN last week will be rested, and will likely be a heavy favorite when they host 1A East Columbus who were beaten by the Sandhills Home School last thursday...In likely a playoff atmosphere, South Robeson will travel to West Columbus, and the winner will have a leg up in determining which of the 3 1A schools will qualify as the 1A Champion from the TRC as it's very likely that only 1 of the 3 1A schools from the TRC will make the playoffs since only 48 1A teams will be invited to play in the postseason...Will the 1A Champ from the TRC be given one of the 8 BYES in either the 1A or 1AA playoff?

The Good thing about playing in a 10-team Mega Conference is that you only have to find 2 Non-Conference opponents...The Bad thing is that you better be focused and ready to play earlier in the season because conference play begins before Mid-September, and a loss that early can make the difference between making or not making the playoffs or having a chance to claim a Three Rivers Conference Title or not...

Let the fun begin!

Roar Tigers Roar!

The orignial post is now complete with all scores from last week final...

I must also mention that Conference play also begins this friday in the Split-Class Northern Carolina Conference(NCC), and the game of the week will be between unbeatens as 2A Roanoke Rapids(3-0) will host 1A Granville Central(2-0) in the Conference opener...In other NCC matchups, 2A Warren Co(2-1) will host 1A Louisburg(1-2), 2A Unbeaten South Granville(3-0) will host N.Vance(0-3), while 2A Bunn(1-2) will travel to Southern Vance(1-2)...2A J.F. Webb(0-2) will have one final non-conference meeting at Carboro before they begin NCC play...

Once again, stay safe out there this weekend folks as Irma means business, and may affect Coastal areas in North and South Carolina....

Roar Tigers Roar!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT