ADVERTISEMENT

The smc’s Big 3

I expect Murphy or Robbinsville to win the next 3 or 4 State Titles unless TJ has a good recruiting year and slips into the champion. Or if a bigger 1aa school drops down.

My prediction for this year.... Murphy wins the title with gentrys last year. They return a strong and massive line, But with that i also think they introduce the next star of the west side of North Carolina in Wood. If you take a look into the track season, wood has speed that not many schools from around here have seen. They also return The QB WR duo in mccracken and rumfelt, those two will be above what they were last season. Rumfelts ability to pass outside of the pocket is truly valuable for murphy this season. Plus a healthy #3 .... this is just the calm before the storm, i’m excited to watch this group this season.

Reactions: paul Graham 1A
My prediction for this year.... Murphy wins the title with gentrys last year. They return a strong and massive line, But with that i also think they introduce the next star of the west side of North Carolina in Wood. If you take a look into the track season, wood has speed that not many schools from around here have seen. They also return The QB WR duo in mccracken and rumfelt, those two will be above what they were last season. Rumfelts ability to pass outside of the pocket is truly valuable for murphy this season. Plus a healthy #3 .... this is just the calm before the storm, i’m excited to watch this group this season.
I sure hope you are right.

Woods overated, very fast but afraid of contact and has bad vision as a ball carrier.

Woods overated.
Not cool calling out a teenager like that in a public space. Also who is overrating him? random internet people?

Wood has good size, good strength and very good speed for the position. I don't agree that Wood is afraid of contact. He does have things he needs to work on but he was a 10th grader last year, all players have things to work on, especially at that age.

Luckily for him he has two more years to learn and grow as a player and a great tutor of backs in Coach Gentry.

I am judging talent based on what I saw last year, this is a sports forum after all. Someone said he was gonna be a star and disagreed. Others disagreed when I said McClure from hayesville last would be a star and he ended arguably the best back in the conference. I want to be clear I am not trying to talk badly about a kid Lord knows he is a better athlete than I ever was. Yet based on seeing him play I do not think he will be a star.

I am judging talent based on what I saw last year, this is a sports forum after all. Someone said he was gonna be a star and disagreed. Others disagreed when I said McClure from hayesville last would be a star and he ended arguably the best back in the conference. I want to be clear I am not trying to talk badly about a kid Lord knows he is a better athlete than I ever was. Yet based on seeing him play I do not think he will be a star.
Ever heard the phrase don't argue with an idiot ?whew...McClure the best back in the conference? Last year? Lol

I won't be like SwainDad40, I'll just be up front about it ... Wood is my son. I'm his biggest fan and his biggest critic. I hope he has a dandy career at Murphy the next two years and at the end of the line, that is mostly up to him and his coaching staff. He'll listen to them, work hard, and appreciate his teammates, then he can be a star. If he doesn't then he'll be whatever that results in. All of that being said, I promise you he is not afraid to be hit. He read your earlier critical post, which I am fine with you posting by the way. To keep it short, he was pissed. Thanks for the motivation. I won't say anything much about him for the next two years mostly because I just want to enjoy watching him play. I'm like the rest of you, I love football and I love watching kids play ... whether it has been Anderson from Robbinsville or Sain from Swain. I've watched them all since they were little. Good luck to all of you and I hope everyone is healthy and that we have a season. We'll see who is a star and who is not at the end of the year ... proof is in the puddin so to speak.

He was good. He did run behind a much less talented line and still got alot of yds. I dont think he was the best but still pretty good.
Hes a fine back....a bunch of his yards came against 2nd team defenses once Hayesville was blowed out in the 1st qrt by other teams. He was not in the same company as Anderson, Hooper, Murray, and Sain .

Reactions: BK13T-$
Hes a fine back....a bunch of his yards came against 2nd team defenses once Hayesville was blowed out in the 1st qrt by other teams. He was not in the same company as Anderson, Hooper, Murray, and Sain .
Just when I thought you couldn’t get any dumber, you have to go and prove me wrong! Anderson and Murray were better last year. Probably same lvl as Hooper. Better than Sain.

nobody cares about your big 3 #gocards

Your on this page talking. You must care.
Your little conference could add up mg all your titles and it would be less than Robbinsville has.
Less than Murphy has.
Less than Swain has.
Yes that's counting my airy 1920 titles. Lol

Reactions: mbdfan
He was a fine sophmore back ,learning the system, yes he got alot of his yards like you say against subs but what you failed mention are the subs that were blocking for him,"not starters" .we hope and believe he can be our feature back ,and also the way it looks right now he will be behind the best potential line i have ever coached.

Reactions: GreyGod623
Probably should have suited him up the last time East played Murphy, then.
79F1C0ADB3DF52AC1AD58B528BA1921BF2439240

I’ll leave this right here...... The SMC has had the luxury of having some really good running backs in the conference the last three years and I’m not taking anything away from any one of them. I have enjoyed watching all of them and I will continue to follow them for the next few years.

But name one that has has the defense focused on stopping one player more than my boy. Every play and every game plan he was the primary focus of defenses shutting him down or kicking away from him. Ask the coaches of the other six SMC teams and they will tell you. I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard “stop sain and you stop Swain”. Despite that he has has over 3800 all purpose yards and 38 tds in three seasons and that’s with missing six games with a hamstring tear and four games with a severely pulled groin. Not to mention he has had to run the ball up the middle 80-85% of the time against 8-9 in the box every play. Because teams knew we would not throw the ball! With no passing game you become a predictable offense. A predictable offense will beat the bad and average teams but when you play a disciplined well coached physical defensive team It’s hard to win those games.

He is a spread all purpose back / slot back that was running in the wrong system. Now that’s not an issue........Now I am only looking forward not behind!

On another note we have to have a season this year. Our kids need normalcy and I for one don’t even care if all the games are broadcasted with limited to no fans. Just let these boys play and have some fun. Good luck this upcoming season!

I have watched him since he was probably 40 pounds on the field..A very fine kid and outstanding back..I dont want to argue but the reason other SMC were so focused on stopping him was he was all Swain had..He would have had a outstanding career at Murphy or Robbinsville. I think he will do much better at Christ School surrounded by multiple weapons. He just came along in Swain County at the wrong time..no passing, no other featured back.

Heritage 11-2 Mitchell 12-2 Polk 9-4. Polk and Owen may be the best teams in whc this year if they play.

It takes no skill to win 1 single A. My 6 year old son could rush for 200 a game on your whole conference. #gocards

Mitchell has played in both divisions the past 5 years. I’ve watched the games in aa and a. We were a bad call away from robbing you all of a championship last year. The Murphy team that beat us the year before was every much as capable as us if not more so. Single a is easier till you play for a regional championship then there’s not much difference if any. Now when you get to the state championship that’s a whole different story because aa in the East is way tougher than single a.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT