ADVERTISEMENT

The new MPC (mostly 2A now, but going 3A next year)

PrepFanNC

Oct 10, 2017
So, the Mid-Piedmont Conference (I think that is what it will be called, will consist of:
Asheboro
Central Davidson
Ledford
Montgomery Central
North Davidson
Oak Grove

I don't hate the new conference. Although a compact county conference was nice, this seems like a better football conference.
Since technically most of these schools are currently 2A, I chose this forum (and the 2A forum is more lively anyway)

What are the thoughts here as far as who'll compete and who will struggle?
I feel like Asheboro, North, Oak Grove and Ledford are the top 4.
Montgomery Central, while the locals had really high hopes out of the gate, seems to be struggling. Maybe they are a few years off of being competitive? They lost to Forest Hills, which Central Davidson beat.

MoCo folks... what are your thoughts? The closest conference opponent for MCHS is Asheboro at 27 miles one way. The northern-most schools in the conference are 50+ miles one way.

I'm excited about the breathing room, and the non-conference games that can be played, not only in football, but in all the sports. 10 teams in the CCC was too many.

So, the Mid-Piedmont Conference (I think that is what it will be called, will consist of:
Asheboro
Central Davidson
Ledford
Montgomery Central
North Davidson
Oak Grove

I don't hate the new conference. Although a compact county conference was nice, this seems like a better football conference.
Since technically most of these schools are currently 2A, I chose this forum (and the 2A forum is more lively anyway)

What are the thoughts here as far as who'll compete and who will struggle?
I feel like Asheboro, North, Oak Grove and Ledford are the top 4.
Montgomery Central, while the locals had really high hopes out of the gate, seems to be struggling. Maybe they are a few years off of being competitive? They lost to Forest Hills, which Central Davidson beat.

MoCo folks... what are your thoughts? The closest conference opponent for MCHS is Asheboro at 27 miles one way. The northern-most schools in the conference are 50+ miles one way.

I'm excited about the breathing room, and the non-conference games that can be played, not only in football, but in all the sports. 10 teams in the CCC was too many.
I agree with your pics for top teams. I think Central will struggle in this conference, they will probably have a better record by playing more non conference games.
OG has a lot of talent in their younger kids, if QB Creech continues to improve he will be a really good QB. I believe the freshman class at OG has not lost a game in 3 years...don’t hold me to that though.
North loses a few more key players this year and I don’t think the underclassmen are quite as talented. JMO
Ledford is young this year and I believe will be improving over next couple years so will be highly competitive in this conference.
I don’t personally know much of Asheboro but from what I’ve seen they will be the one to beat (as I see it right now).
I think Montgomery Central is struggling after combining the schools from what I hear. I’d say next two years they improve with that but hate it for the parents and fans that have to travel sooo far for pretty much EVERY away game.

Asheboro has been down for quite a few years. I don't really see them challenging for the conference title until they get some stability.

Montgomery Central still has time to get established but it hasn't been happening very quickly. West Montgomery people seemed to think that absorbing East Montgomery would automatically make them good in 3A after being a pretty good 1A program. That has not been the case this far, and I don't think it will be any easier in this new conference for them.

Central is not going anywhere until they improve that defense. Their offense gives them a chance at times but it doesn't mean anything if they can't stop anyone.

OG is riding high after only having sophomores and juniors their first year and winning conference the second. They got going quickly and the JVs have been unbeaten for two years now which indicates good things for their future.

North and Ledford have regressed as a result of not having overwhelming numbers anymore. However, they are stable and have good programs that know how to get the best out of their systems. They will continue to be OGs biggest rivals and threats in the new conference.

Reactions: SCRballer
Asheboro has been down for quite a few years. I don't really see them challenging for the conference title until they get some stability.

Montgomery Central still has time to get established but it hasn't been happening very quickly. West Montgomery people seemed to think that absorbing East Montgomery would automatically make them good in 3A after being a pretty good 1A program. That has not been the case this far, and I don't think it will be any easier in this new conference for them.

Central is not going anywhere until they improve that defense. Their offense gives them a chance at times but it doesn't mean anything if they can't stop anyone.

OG is riding high after only having sophomores and juniors their first year and winning conference the second. They got going quickly and the JVs have been unbeaten for two years now which indicates good things for their future.

North and Ledford have regressed as a result of not having overwhelming numbers anymore. However, they are stable and have good programs that know how to get the best out of their systems. They will continue to be OGs biggest rivals and threats in the new confer
Ledford was young and will continue to improve. They have most of their top kids back and a good JV team rising. The JV OL was very big with the smallest kid about 265. Well coached team that must redo its traditionally good kicking game to win the conference. Played in 3A prior so they will find a way to win and compete with steady numbers yearly.

ND loses a lot of talent especially at QB and WR. The OL is pretty young so they should be solid. Numbers have declined some, but my main question is will Flynn take his CCC title and move on. Who will replace the transfers ND has had from Lexington at skill position the last few seasons is probably the biggest question.

OG is a solid team but losses the big RB and QB. Good JV team will keep them in the hunt, but big losses may be too much to overcome for them in 3A. This 12th grade class is very solid for them so finding replacements is the key. Well coached, good program will fight for the title with North and Ledford.

CD has vastly improved, but cannot beat teams with winning records. Offense is real good but if they are behind by more than 10 points they have zero passing attack to get in the game quickly or win late. Defense must improve some to compete in this league and be top three.

Asheboro has been down for several years now. They always put some good looking kids out on the field and have a good mix of kids to be good. They will compete, but Asheboro as good as the team always looks off the bus somehow just does not meet the expectations they set.

MC- One would think that combining both schools into one would produce a winner but so far it appears they are struggling to gel as a team. Coached by a state championship caliber coach helps the future cause. Travel will be an issue as they kind of got stuck out in the cold as far as joining a closer league. My guess is Covid and remote instruction has hurt their numbers and ability to field as competitive a team as they expect. I see them getting much better soon.

Seems like a couple of Forsyth County 3A schools and S Guilford may have been a better alignment. I guess Mont Central had nowhere else to go and found a home in the MP 3A. Non-Conference scheduling will be big for MC, CD and Asheboro. Ledford, ND and OG are pretty competitive with some local 4A and 3A teams. Not sure how many of them will schedule and play Thomasville, Lexington, East and West.

According to what I've heard, Lexington supposedly told North Davidson that they will no longer schedule them in football. Heard it during the ND/Lexington internet broadcast last week. So in kind, North Davidson told Lexington they will no longer schedule the Yellow Jackets in ANY sport.

According to what I've heard, Lexington supposedly told North Davidson that they will no longer schedule them in football. Heard it during the ND/Lexington internet broadcast last week. So in kind, North Davidson told Lexington they will no longer schedule the Yellow Jackets in ANY sport.
Wow. Talk about petty

Lexington gets South Davidson as a conference foe after acrimony on the middle school level a few years ago. Wonder how that'll go....

They won’t need to, they will be in different conferences next year.

They won’t need to, they will be in different conferences next year.
That is true, but the North Davidson game is BY FAR the biggest money maker for the Yellow Jackets every year. Also, in basketball, there is usually a very nice crowd for these two as well.

I for one won't mind the Yellow Jackets being off the schedule. I'd rather see ND play someone like Randleman in place of Lexington. The Tigers would be MUCH better competition than Lexington has been.

According to what I've heard, Lexington supposedly told North Davidson that they will no longer schedule them in football. Heard it during the ND/Lexington internet broadcast last week. So in kind, North Davidson told Lexington they will no longer schedule the Yellow Jackets in ANY sport
Wow. Talk about petty
I’ll defend that decision - there’s a larger back-story - but truth be told, Lexington Athletics really brings nothing to the table; they’ve fired coaches that had winning programs and let those teams fall - they bring no one to games (as opposed to as recently as 10 years ago) and had less than 100 fans at their own homecoming where 4-5 classes were honored. If ND continued playing them, it really only benefits Lexington.

Why is there so much bad blood between Lexington and North?
I’m not sure there is - just defending the decision; graduated from ND but have a son at OG - I haven’t even heard confirmation of the decision - but if so I’d say it has to do with economics - it used to be a big game with big crowds - it no longer is and quite honestly, Lexington isn’t very competitive in any/many sports. So if you want good competition AND good gates (which I’m sure ND does), you look elsewhere; it’s been a while since in the same conference until this span - historically it was a rivalry - when someone dictates ‘we’re not going to play anymore in sport x’ and it’s done from a position of weakness, the correct response given (if all of this is true) is not to play at all if they bring little to the table as far as gate $.

Asheboro
Central Davidson
Ledford
Montgomery Central
North Davidson
Oak Grove

I believe ND/OG should be the favorites in Football now other sports it maybe more competitive but Ledford looks like to be decent , MC is still building, CD is OK, Asheboro is not what it use to be

According to what I've heard, Lexington supposedly told North Davidson that they will no longer schedule them in football. Heard it during the ND/Lexington internet broadcast last week. So in kind, North Davidson told Lexington they will no longer schedule the Yellow Jackets in ANY sport....
I'm trying to think of a reason that North would have (other than proximity) for them to schedule Lexington once they are in different conferences.
Lexington's entire athletic program is in shambles. They can compete in basketball because you only need 5 players to field a team.

But I'm racking my brain and any other sport there is completely terrible. I don't even think soccer is decent anymore. Tennis used to be solid... no more. Golf was okay in the 80's.

I don't blame Lexington for being mad... but it won't hurt North at all if they never cross paths again.

OG JV 6-0

West Forsyth 28-0

Salisbury 34-0

West Davidson 55-7

Central Davidson 21-6

Ledford 33-0

North Davidson 60-0

JV isn't an exact projection of future varsity success, but I'd venture to say OG has some good players coming up in the future...

Reactions: SCRballer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT