ADVERTISEMENT

The Mountain Week 2 Predictions and Power Rankings

Titanman27

Sep 4, 2019
It was a very bad week 1 showing from most of The Mountain conference. McDowell and Enka were the only 2 teams to pull out wins. It's looking like a down year overall for the conference which could make for an interesting race for the top 3.

On to week 2-

McDowell @ Mitchell- McDowell surprised many by upsetting RS Central 20-14 week 1. They dominated upfront and employed a power running game to take control. Mitchell destroyed Erwin and will be a huge challenge for the titans. The mountaineers are well coached, physical, and have strong offensive and defensive lines. McDowell will hopefully not have any covid issues after RS is now in an outbreak. I think McDowell can keep it closer than Erwin did but Mitchell is too much.

Mitchell 27
McDowell 13

Tuscola @ Roberson- The rams were shutout at Watauga and only found marginal success running the ball and hardly any passing- a huge change from last season. I expect this week to be a lot better for the rams but Tuscola will also offer a challenge. This week will tell a lot about Roberson, if they struggle and win a close game or lose, it could be a long season.

Roberson 21
Tuscola 14

Madison @ North Buncombe- North Buncombe is still having covid issues and may not be ready this Friday

North Buncombe 41
Madison 13

Enka v Pisgah- Enka is coming off a nice win over Hayesville and could be a surprise this season. Canton was hit hard by flooding and the bears are looking for a home this season with heir field being destroyed. I'm not sure where or if this game will definitely be played but if it does Pisgah should have the advantage. Enka could keep it closer than past years but Pisgah will have a lot to play for and is very physical up front.

Pisgah 27
Enka 10

Erwin @ Mountain Heritage- Out of the frying pan and into the fire? Erwin had a rough week 1 against Mitchell who bullied them up front and shut them down. The Erwin QB struggled and threw multiple INT's including a pick 6. Up next is powerhouse Mountain Heritage who had their week 1 game cancelled due to covid. Hopefully the cougars are ready to go this week. Erwin will have to play much better to stand a chance. I don't see it happening.

Mountain Heritage 34
Erwin 13

Kings Mountain @ Asheville- Things don't get any easier for Asheville as they welcome Kings Mountain. KM will be coming in mad after getting blown out by Shelby. Asheville also has plenty of motivation after being whipped by Robbinsville. I think the cougars will play better this week and it could be a shootout but Kings Mountain will have just enough to win.

Kings Mountain 41
Asheville 34

Shelby @ Reynolds- Reynolds has one of the toughest non conference schedules in the state and this game might be the toughest of them all. After being shutdown by West Forsyth, Reynolds now have to deal with Santana Hopper and a stout Shelby defensive line and an explosive Shelby offense. I think Reynolds will play better but much like Asheville, their opponent is too strong.

Shelby 29
Reynolds 14

Power Rankings-

1. Reynolds
2. Asheville
3. McDowell
4. North Buncombe
5. Enka
6. Roberson
7. Erwin

Last edited:
Hoping someone from Roberson tells us how good Watauga is! That score was impressive!
I did see on the stats from Max Preps that Roberson lost 6 of 7 fumbles! That’s brutal!

Hoping someone from Roberson tells us how good Watauga is! That score was impressive!
I did see on the stats from Max Preps that Roberson lost 6 of 7 fumbles! That’s brutal!

I can tell you a little about Watauga since McDowell scrimmaged them. They are strong up front with a D1 2023 lineman Isiah Shirley. He's very disruptive. Offense is more ground and pound and not that flashy but they are well coached and just get it done. McDowell had some success against them in the scrimmage and I figured that would be a good sign for the titans moving forward.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
“North Buncombe plays Swain tonight due to covid issue”

I saw on the Twit that ACA is replacing N Buncombe for a 7pm game at Swain tonight.

Reactions: Titanman27
I hope we can score 14 against Shelby, our offense has been non-existent since the Asheville game last year, which is about 6 or 7 games now! We have to do better or change something up, but I don’t have an answer for it, I’m sure the coaches are working hard to fix the issues.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT