ADVERTISEMENT

The Main Question for 2020 Football

She said the plan is to have a post season in all sports. For wrestling the season (for now) will just be a max of 2 duals per week. This could change as the circumstances change. No telling what the post season for wrestling will look like.

She said the plan is to have a post season in all sports. For wrestling the season (for now) will just be a max of 2 duals per week. This could change as the circumstances change. No telling what the post season for wrestling will look like.

Most regional s hardly fill all 16 spots anyways, generally the only kids that don't get in are scrubs with bad or no records. Winning will be huge since max matches based on what information we have now would be 28. The worst of it IMO, is the younger kids (JV) won't get hardly any reps so they basically lose a season since there likely won't be weekend dual or individual events for them to fill in and get matches.

I'm interested in your opinion about something Thunderstruck ... on WRAL's website tonight, there is an article about Duke University independently testing their incoming students. They tested over 3,000 students and received 4 positive tests, .2% positive rate according to the article. If the state's numbers are correct, how is it even remotely possible that so few Duke students tested positive? I realize that the students are from numerous states, not just NC, but statistically it would be almost impossible to have such a discrepancy on such a large sample size. Then another article on WRAL reports the state's numbers were inflated by over 200,000 positive tests. Is this enough fuel to fire a conspiracy theory? And before you take offense, I am truly not being sarcastic. Both articles absolutely were unbelievable to me.

https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/on...wave-of-coronavirus-testing-at-duke/19232820/

and

https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/st...d-19-data-after-labcorp-discrepancy/19232381/

I'm interested in your opinion about something Thunderstruck ... on WRAL's website tonight, there is an article about Duke University independently testing their incoming students. They tested over 3,000 students and received 4 positive tests, .2% positive rate according to the article. If the state's numbers are correct, how is it even remotely possible that so few Duke students tested positive? I realize that the students are from numerous states, not just NC, but statistically it would be almost impossible to have such a discrepancy on such a large sample size. Then another article on WRAL reports the state's numbers were inflated by over 200,000 positive tests. Is this enough fuel to fire a conspiracy theory? And before you take offense, I am truly not being sarcastic. Both articles absolutely were unbelievable to me.

https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/on...wave-of-coronavirus-testing-at-duke/19232820/

and

https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/st...d-19-data-after-labcorp-discrepancy/19232381/
That goes along with the NC DHHS COVID-19 results as of 8/12/2020.
And it has all county results also. 967 cases and 10 deaths in Surry County.
https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/dashboard#by-counties

and

As far as Duke goes that is interesting. I'd be more curious to see an anti-body test or what happens in 3-4 weeks there. On another note ECUs cases have tripled in a week. Perhaps the difference is that the kids are Duke possibly come from well to do families that have taken things really serious.

As far as the WRAL article goes, I'm going to refer you back to the article. The article states that it was a correction on test completed and not positive test results as you said. This is also the result from a private lab. Mistakes happen ane it was corrected as scientist do.

Well you don’t have to be rich to wear a mask and stay 6 feet apart, but you do have to be rich to stay at home. Most of these people pushing these strict regulations are government workers, wealthy, or retired. For the rest of us that have to work this has been a disaster. How can you choose between following the rules and a place to live?

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
It has been scary for me still working 16 hours dealing with the public and turning 70 in 4 months with diabetes with several diabetic related problems. also meds for blood pressure, cholesterol & prostrate just to name a few problems. Just praying I don't get COVID-19 because I will probably be a goner. Got to go out of town tomorrow Thur. for some extensive teeth work. That has me really worried but it has to be done.

Reactions: Mhsneer
As far as Duke goes that is interesting. I'd be more curious to see an anti-body test or what happens in 3-4 weeks there. On another note ECUs cases have tripled in a week. Perhaps the difference is that the kids are Duke possibly come from well to do families that have taken things really serious.

As far as the WRAL article goes, I'm going to refer you back to the article. The article states that it was a correction on test completed and not positive test results as you said. This is also the result from a private lab. Mistakes happen ane it was corrected as scientist do.
To compare the Duke cases, you’d have to reference the state of New Jersey where they all live. Just kidding guys:)

Over Individuals. I would of never thought that. Williams dad on Twitter said they may wrestle Club and National tournaments.
I can see the elite kids going that route. Wrestling is unique in the team and individual aspects of the sport. It appears they are going with the team and dual setup. This is fine for your average kid that is just another state level wrestler in NC. Which I think there will be a huge drop in participation with the current calendar. I bet some schools wont mess with it this year. The kids looking to wrestle at the next level need the individual tournament more.

Instead of wrestling for Robbinsville?
I think you will see several of the best wrestlers skip it if there is no individual tournament. The ones trying to wrestle in college will have their eyes on Fargo. That tournament brings in every college wrestling coach to one spot.

Reactions: Appvol and BK13T-$
Instead of wrestling for Robbinsville?

I figured you would want the individuals state tournament over a state dual. Robbinsville would qualify a lot of kids for states out of regionals. Who ever wins the individuals team points could be the team state champion for this coming year.

I figured you would want the individuals state tournament over a state dual. Robbinsville would qualify a lot of kids for states out of regionals. Who ever wins the individuals team points could be the team state champion for this coming year.

Team Championship is dual. Thats my thing.
Ive never even been to the individual Tournament.
Ive been to a few team dual Championships

I prefer the individual tournament and crowning the team champ that way. I think you get higher level of wrestling and see which team has the best wrestlers. Duals on the other hand have so many moving you rarely see the best wrestle each other. Team A would rather give Team B a forfeit then let their best kid pin someone and get the crowd fired up. This reason is why an elite kid will for the most part be wasting time in this shortened season.

Lets take Williams for example from Robbinsville. He gets 14 regular season matches. 6 of those will be conference and will be forfeits. Nobody in the conference will wrestle him or if they do it will be a scrub. Coach Odom will try to fill the rest of the season with teams around Asheville and west. Nothing on the weekends so the team will have to be closer enough to travel on Tuesday or Thursday. You are looking at Enka, North Henderson, Pisgah, Tuscola, Mitchell, etc. If there is a post season dual playoff that eliminates Avery. Those 2 will not wrestle in the regular season. I only see a couple matches that would even trip the radar for Williams and those are both at 220 and probably wouldn’t even happen. Norris from North Henderson and Andrews from Avery would be the only matches worth watching.

Duals are great for the crowd and school comradery. Elite wrestlers are better off in individual tournaments showcasing their skills.

Reactions: Appvol
I prefer the individual tournament and crowning the team champ that way. I think you get higher level of wrestling and see which team has the best wrestlers. Duals on the other hand have so many moving you rarely see the best wrestle each other. Team A would rather give Team B a forfeit then let their best kid pin someone and get the crowd fired up. This reason is why an elite kid will for the most part be wasting time in this shortened season.

Lets take Williams for example from Robbinsville. He gets 14 regular season matches. 6 of those will be conference and will be forfeits. Nobody in the conference will wrestle him or if they do it will be a scrub. Coach Odom will try to fill the rest of the season with teams around Asheville and west. Nothing on the weekends so the team will have to be closer enough to travel on Tuesday or Thursday. You are looking at Enka, North Henderson, Pisgah, Tuscola, Mitchell, etc. If there is a post season dual playoff that eliminates Avery. Those 2 will not wrestle in the regular season. I only see a couple matches that would even trip the radar for Williams and those are both at 220 and probably wouldn’t even happen. Norris from North Henderson and Andrews from Avery would be the only matches worth watching.

Duals are great for the crowd and school comradery. Elite wrestlers are better off in individual tournaments showcasing their skills.

A kid here was a two time State Champion and if there had been only duals he would not have sniffed much post season because he team couldn’t fill weight classes.

Reactions: Mbulld and SitOut
A kid here was a two time State Champion and if there had been only duals he would not have sniffed much post season because he team couldn’t fill weight classes.
Correct, a lot of wrestlers will be left out of post season if it duals only.

Reactions: Mbulld
I’ve never been able to understand why two dudes would dress in all spandex get lathered up and wallow with each other but I do respect the fact that it’s probably the toughest sport out there. They should be allowed individual state competition

Screwed up enough with the 7 games max. & only 1 game a week.
What happens when in February some schools get snowed out with no making it up. This is going to end up a mell of a hess !

Screwed up enough with the 7 games max. & only 1 game a week.
What happens when in February some schools get snowed out with no making it up. This is going to end up a mell of a hess !

You try to play on a Monday or Tuesday. It would be a bigger mess if they tried to start next week.

I have to disagree. I think they could have started on schedule with implementing just a few precautions like temperature checks and masks at games

I get your points. Temperature checks don't catch people that are asymptomatic though. That's my major issue with them. It takes one asymptomatic player to take a whole team down. I just think the disruptions of players and coaches having to quarantine would have caused too much of a disruption. I think what happens in the next 3 weeks will be a good indicator of what sports might have looked like.

I also think the fact people refuse to wear a mask plays a part in the mask thing. Once people get in, who polices that at a big football game?

Sometimes life gets disrupted. That's just part of it. All we can do is the best we can. I appreciate the actions the state has taken.

Reactions: ocdavis31
You’re not really contagious if you’re not running a fever. I think the actions the state has taken proves were the Connecticut of the south honestly. We are taxed and governed more like Yankees than any other Southern state save Virginia. I hope to retire to Tennessee a state that still values rights and common sense

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT