ADVERTISEMENT

The Main Question for 2020 Football

No thanks I'm fine.

I'm going to keep trying my best to get people to understand this. If you want to dismiss and act like it needs to be business as usual feel free. You don't have to read my comments.

My dad was a highly respected family physician/general surgeon for over 50 years, mom a public health nurse for 45 years. Im not oblivious to whats going on. Guess you never heard the old saying, you can lead a horse to water... If you understood that, your replies would be cut by at least 95%.

Reactions: WWFB
At this point, I would like to know how many school systems are only returning virtually at this point? I know Charlotte is, so that would mean no sports, and with the Wilkes announcement today, I would assume they will be in the same boat shortly. I believe all school systems will soon follow.

At this point, I would like to know how many school systems are only returning virtually at this point? I know Charlotte is, so that would mean no sports, and with the Wilkes announcement today, I would assume they will be in the same boat shortly. I believe all school systems will soon follow.

I think it's at 68 or 69 now. Not counting charters. Wilkes has announced plan C today. CMS said no sports until kids are back in building.

This whole BS is on the politicians because it is an election they are using the Fake News to push the agenda that COVID-19 is worse than it is. Hospitals and Doctors are calling everything that anyone is sick or died from COVID-19 because they get paid more to do so. Even the Fake News has starting occasionally telling it that way. I saw on Facebook where a lady from Kernersville, NC took her daughter to get a Covid-19 check and the nurse claimed he had a temperature of 104. and had COVID-19. The nurse wanted to quarantine her son. The lady did not believe the nurse and as her to retake the temperature in front of her and she did and it was 98. degrees.The nurse got mad and said to and told the daughter and mother they needed to help the cause, they needed as many infected as they could get to help the election. A friend had that on her Facebook. It is an election year and everything goes to hell in a presidential election year. No truths to be found ! !

That particular kid is going to an NCISAA school and reclassifying. I also wonder if the move wouldn’t have happened anyway.
Maybe Bishop will return to the NCISAA if no NCHSAA football. That is where they were before 2004 or 2005 then came to NCHSAA, NWC and their girls won 9 straight state 1A Basketball championships. Forsyth County has a lot of pull and has forced there 1A & 2A schools onto the NWC & WPAC to get our larger gates and not bring but around 50 or less to home games locally.

Last edited:
He can't reclassify. He already did once, right?

Not since getting to high school. If he’d been held back before that, I guess it would come down to whether he’d turn 19 before August of senior year. his Twitter bio now says Rabun Gap 2022.

Last edited:
Yes if you know the person that posted it but this message board is even a more reliable source. ;)... I would not have put it on here if I did not know the person from Facebook.
No offense, TD. But I find that story to be almost as ridiculous as the posts about the intent of vaccines.

No offense, TD. But I find that story to be almost as ridiculous as the posts about the intent of vaccines.

I can assume this is the same person I know, personally, but it is true. If it’s not the same person then it’s happened 2x, in the same area.

This also goes with someone else I know who tested positive, without ever being tested...

I know personally two families that went to be tested, weren’t tested, then received positive results in the mail from local hd. I’ve been exposed twice myself with no follow up from hd. Now that’s as big a joke as all these folks scared to death. My life’s in Gods hands. Take precautions and go on about living, because life’s more about living than existing. Who wants the government dictating when they can go where, what they have to wear, where they can worship, or who their business can serve? This is a trial test to make us all like China, because that’s how they live everyday. Congratulations on just rolling over and accepting your governmental restrictions all in the name of safety. China is a very safe country, so if you like safety move there. The United States isn’t safe it use to be free. I’ll take freedom any day.

Do we make our decisions based on anecdotes or data? If I choose anecdotes I will always find some story to support my already determined position (i.e. confirmation bias). If I let data drive the decisions, then I can remain open to the direction the data takes me.

For example, on 06/25/2020, NCDHSS reported a recovery of 36,921 people good enough for a .6456 recovery rate. Thirty days later, 92,302 people are documented as recovered which accounts for a recovery rate of .7679. As of August 3rd, 2020 105,093 people are listed as recovered which means the recovery rate is now at .7912.*

According to the NCDHHS data, 57% of deaths originate in the 75+ age bracket; 22% from 65-74, and 15% from 50-64. 94% of deaths come from the 50 and over bracket. By deduction that means 6% of deaths occur for the 0-49 bracket.

Data from 2007-2018 indicates this age distribution of death is consistent with or without Covid-19. Not to bore with data I'll simply use 2007 and 2018 as bookends.

2007 witnessed 75,803 North Carolinian's die. Of that number, 53,185 were 65+ (.7016) and 15,861 (.2092) were 45-64. 44-and-under saw 6,757 (.0891). Fast forward to 2018. In 2018 there were 94,005 recorded deaths in North Carolina. Those 65 and older accounted for 68,120 (.7246). 45-64 years-of-age registered 18,861 (.2006) deaths and the 44-and under demographic documented 7,024 (.0747).*** The point of the data is not to pick on the elderly. Instead, it is simply a statement of fact: as we age our odds of death increase.

Back to the original question: Do we make decisions based on anecdotes or data? In the beginning of this pandemic, there was a lot of information we did not know. In my opinion, in March there was legitimate reason for concern and precautionary measures to be taken. Now, five months in, with at least three months of good data we are able to compare month-over-month. The data suggests a current recovery rate of 79% The data also suggests that Covid related death attacks the most vulnerable members of society and death rates among different demographics has been consistent since 2007 without Covid.

* NCDHSS (2020).COVID-19 Link:
https://files.nc.gov/covid/documents/dashboard/Weekly-COVID19-Patients-Presumed-to-be-Recovered.pdf

** NCDHSS (2020). Leading Causes of Death 2007. Link:
https://schs.dph.ncdhhs.gov/data/vital/lcd/2007/pdf/TblsA-F.pdf

*** NCDHHS (2018) Leading Causes of Death 2018. Link: https://schs.dph.ncdhhs.gov/data/vital/lcd/2018/pdf/TblsA-F_rev4.pdf

Do we make our decisions based on anecdotes or data? If I choose anecdotes I will always find some story to support my already determined position (i.e. confirmation bias). If I let data drive the decisions, then I can remain open to the direction the data takes me.

For example, on 06/25/2020, NCDHSS reported a recovery of 36,921 people good enough for a .6456 recovery rate. Thirty days later, 92,302 people are documented as recovered which accounts for a recovery rate of .7679. As of August 3rd, 2020 105,093 people are listed as recovered which means the recovery rate is now at .7912.*

According to the NCDHHS data, 57% of deaths originate in the 75+ age bracket; 22% from 65-74, and 15% from 50-64. 94% of deaths come from the 50 and over bracket. By deduction that means 6% of deaths occur for the 0-49 bracket.

Data from 2007-2018 indicates this age distribution of death is consistent with or without Covid-19. Not to bore with data I'll simply use 2007 and 2018 as bookends.

2007 witnessed 75,803 North Carolinian's die. Of that number, 53,185 were 65+ (.7016) and 15,861 (.2092) were 45-64. 44-and-under saw 6,757 (.0891). Fast forward to 2018. In 2018 there were 94,005 recorded deaths in North Carolina. Those 65 and older accounted for 68,120 (.7246). 45-64 years-of-age registered 18,861 (.2006) deaths and the 44-and under demographic documented 7,024 (.0747).*** The point of the data is not to pick on the elderly. Instead, it is simply a statement of fact: as we age our odds of death increase.

Back to the original question: Do we make decisions based on anecdotes or data? In the beginning of this pandemic, there was a lot of information we did not know. In my opinion, in March there was legitimate reason for concern and precautionary measures to be taken. Now, five months in, with at least three months of good data we are able to compare month-over-month. The data suggests a current recovery rate of 79% The data also suggests that Covid related death attacks the most vulnerable members of society and death rates among different demographics has been consistent since 2007 without Covid.

* NCDHSS (2020).COVID-19 Link:
https://files.nc.gov/covid/documents/dashboard/Weekly-COVID19-Patients-Presumed-to-be-Recovered.pdf

** NCDHSS (2020). Leading Causes of Death 2007. Link:
https://schs.dph.ncdhhs.gov/data/vital/lcd/2007/pdf/TblsA-F.pdf

*** NCDHHS (2018) Leading Causes of Death 2018. Link: https://schs.dph.ncdhhs.gov/data/vital/lcd/2018/pdf/TblsA-F_rev4.pdf
Some good points. When you’re looking at overall death data, how do causes of death among young people, like auto accidents, suicide and gunshot deaths play into it. Aren’t those fairly heavily weighted by people under 50?
If so, how does that affect the comparisons?
More and more it seems people want to imply that only people in at risk categories should take precautions. Which would make more sense if the people at risk weren’t constantly around the other folks, especially the ones who don’t take it seriously.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Some good points. When you’re looking at overall death data, how do causes of death among young people, like auto accidents, suicide and gunshot deaths play into it. Aren’t those fairly heavily weighted by people under 50?
If so, how does that affect the comparisons?
More and more it seems people want to imply that only people in at risk categories should take precautions. Which would make more sense if the people at risk weren’t constantly around the other folks, especially the ones who don’t take it seriously.

I don't think we understand how many people actually have underlying health conditions that put them at high risk.

Last edited:
Obesity and high blood pressure are apparently big factors and not necessarily respective of age. The long lasting health effects have to be considered in that population even if death doesn’t occur.

Obesity and high blood pressure are apparently big factors and not necessarily respective of age. The long lasting health effects have to be considered in that population even if death doesn’t occur.

It doesn't take much to be obese. I feel we are ignoring the long term effects and what they could be. We don't know. Thats what's scary.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
@ocdavis31

Thank you for reading and commenting. Also, those are valid questions.

When you’re looking at overall death data, how do causes of death among young people, like auto accidents, suicide and gunshot deaths play into it?

Depending on one's definition of young, the data states the following top 5 2018 causes of death among the listed ages:

15-24: (1) Motor Vehicle Injuries, (2) Other Unintentional Injuries, (3) Suicide, (4) Homicide, and (5) Cancer.

25-44: (1) Other Unintentional Injuries, (2) Motor Vehicle Injuries, (3) Cancer, (4) Diseases of the Heart, and (5) Suicide.

45-64: (1) Cancer, (2) Diseases of the Heart, (3) Other Unintentional Injuries, (4) Diabetes, and (5) Chronic Lower Respiratory Diseases.

65+: (1) Diseases of the Heart, (2) Cancer, (3) Chronic Lower Respiratory Diseases, (4) Alzheimer's, and (5) Cerebrovascular Disease. Interestingly, pneumonia and influenza placed 8th (which accounted for .025 of deaths in that age bracket and .0181 of total deaths; Covid-19 has a rate of death at .0160 for comparison's sake and that has dropped since June 25.)

If we compare age brackets we can see that the younger one is the more likely they are to die from a "violent" act whereas the older one becomes the more likely it is that illness will be the cause. While I only highlighted the top 5, illnesses are prevalent in every age grouping - meaning no one is immune to dying from illness/disease, whether viral or genetic.

My previous post was intended to convey a couple of things. First, everyone (young and old) will die at some point and as we age the more likely we are to expire (life expectancy in NC is 78.3). The data from 2007 to 2018 is consistent in this regard with or without Covid-19.

Second, the recovery rate is .7912 which is rarely highlighted in Covid reports. We are frequently reminded of "spikes," "surges," "explosions," and other buzz words reminding us how terrible this pandemic is. To be unequivocally clear: this virus is real and has contributed to the death of many people. Assuming the NCDHSS numbers are accurate, NC has 132,812 lab-confirmed cases. Of those, 105,093 have recovered (.7912), 1,122 are hospitalized (.0084), 2,134 are deceased (.016). This means we have 108,349 accounts of the 132,812 with 24,463 (.1841) to be determined. The data is overwhelming that one is more likely to recover than anything else. This is good news!

So what if we started altering the narrative from gloom-and-doom to one of hope? What if we accepted that vaccine or not, Covid is with us but the odds are in our favor? What if we stopped living in fear of this virus (and everything that has come with it)? Take precautions certainly - that is wisdom - but change our mindset from a defeated position to one of we are overcoming it?

@ocdavis31

Thank you for reading and commenting. Also, those are valid questions.

When you’re looking at overall death data, how do causes of death among young people, like auto accidents, suicide and gunshot deaths play into it?

Depending on one's definition of young, the data states the following top 5 2018 causes of death among the listed ages:

15-24: (1) Motor Vehicle Injuries, (2) Other Unintentional Injuries, (3) Suicide, (4) Homicide, and (5) Cancer.

25-44: (1) Other Unintentional Injuries, (2) Motor Vehicle Injuries, (3) Cancer, (4) Diseases of the Heart, and (5) Suicide.

45-64: (1) Cancer, (2) Diseases of the Heart, (3) Other Unintentional Injuries, (4) Diabetes, and (5) Chronic Lower Respiratory Diseases.

65+: (1) Diseases of the Heart, (2) Cancer, (3) Chronic Lower Respiratory Diseases, (4) Alzheimer's, and (5) Cerebrovascular Disease. Interestingly, pneumonia and influenza placed 8th (which accounted for .025 of deaths in that age bracket and .0181 of total deaths; Covid-19 has a rate of death at .0160 for comparison's sake and that has dropped since June 25.)

If we compare age brackets we can see that the younger one is the more likely they are to die from a "violent" act whereas the older one becomes the more likely it is that illness will be the cause. While I only highlighted the top 5, illnesses are prevalent in every age grouping - meaning no one is immune to dying from illness/disease, whether viral or genetic.

My previous post was intended to convey a couple of things. First, everyone (young and old) will die at some point and as we age the more likely we are to expire (life expectancy in NC is 78.3). The data from 2007 to 2018 is consistent in this regard with or without Covid-19.

Second, the recovery rate is .7912 which is rarely highlighted in Covid reports. We are frequently reminded of "spikes," "surges," "explosions," and other buzz words reminding us how terrible this pandemic is. To be unequivocally clear: this virus is real and has contributed to the death of many people. Assuming the NCDHSS numbers are accurate, NC has 132,812 lab-confirmed cases. Of those, 105,093 have recovered (.7912), 1,122 are hospitalized (.0084), 2,134 are deceased (.016). This means we have 108,349 accounts of the 132,812 with 24,463 (.1841) to be determined. The data is overwhelming that one is more likely to recover than anything else. This is good news!

So what if we started altering the narrative from gloom-and-doom to one of hope? What if we accepted that vaccine or not, Covid is with us but the odds are in our favor? What if we stopped living in fear of this virus (and everything that has come with it)? Take precautions certainly - that is wisdom - but change our mindset from a defeated position to one of we are overcoming it?
Great data. And very informative. What’s your view on long term health effects for survivors? I realize we can’t establish that data yet, so asking for an informed opinion.
I certainly don’t meant to impart a sense of gloom and doom. If I’m not hopeful, it’s because I see and hear from too many people who don’t take precautions. Either because it’s inconvenient or because they don’t believe it’s real, or greatly exaggerated.

Great data. And very informative. What’s your view on long term health effects for survivors? I realize we can’t establish that data yet, so asking for an informed opinion.
I certainly don’t meant to impart a sense of gloom and doom. If I’m not hopeful, it’s because I see and hear from too many people who don’t take precautions. Either because it’s inconvenient or because they don’t believe it’s real, or greatly exaggerated.

In order for us to he hopeful we must take things serious. People must follow precautions. We could be in much better shape if people would.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
I don't think you were imparting a sense of gloom-and-doom @ocdavis31 I was referring to the general mood that is prevalent related to our present situation. At present, I think there are too many factors to forecast long-term health effects for survivors. We have to consider the individual's lifestyle and if they met the criteria for a relatively healthy individual given their station in life. We also have to consider the severity of their particular case. We will have to wait for a longitudinal study to publish.

My initial thought is the milder the case and the more healthy the lifestyle the less an individual will have long term effects, if any. As we are witnessing from asymptomatic carriers, some have contracted Covid and were none-the-wiser. Conversely, the more severe the case and the less healthy a lifestyle the more long-term effects may piggyback on other conditions they may have (or develop) as a result of their lifestyle.

Reactions: therealsquid
@Thunder_struck8712

Related to your thought: "In order for us to he hopeful we must take things serious. People must follow precautions. We could be in much better shape if people would."

At this point, people have made up their minds regarding this present situation. Some will take appropriate precautions. Others will not. No one should stand in judgment of another. Some will wear a mask. Others will not. No amount of reason will convince them to wear a mask or not wear a mask. Ultimately, it is their choice. Regardless of whether someone takes precautions or not, at best it is a reduction of risk not an elimination of it. I do not know the ratio of people using precautions or not. What I do know is that 79% recovery is hopeful. To assume we would be in better shape lacks falsifiability and cannot be proven.

Ok who felt the earthquake. I dont know if Thunder can handle a earthquake to go along with the Covid. It might put him over the edge.

Considering we live near a fault zone and earthquakes aren't infrequent around here, I'm not bothered, unlike the 1000 people on social media acting like the world ended.

CBSSports.com has a story interviewing two Power 5 ADs who say college football will cancel its season, with the possibility of spring ball. Cost, liability, eligibility, players opting out are all factors. The two predicted PAC12 and then Big10 would be the first conferences to cancel. Domino effect from there. Both those conferences have been having meetings, but with no announcements.
Stay tuned.
By the way, I’m a diehard Tar Heel and App fan with season tickets in Boone. So, no, this isn’t the result I want. But the ADs both used the word “inevitable”.

CBSSports.com has a story interviewing two Power 5 ADs who say college football will cancel its season, with the possibility of spring ball. Cost, liability, eligibility, players opting out are all factors. The two predicted PAC12 and then Big10 would be the first conferences to cancel. Domino effect from there. Both those conferences have been having meetings, but with no announcements.
Stay tuned.
By the way, I’m a diehard Tar Heel and App fan with season tickets in Boone. So, no, this isn’t the result I want. But the ADs both used the word “inevitable”.

Let me guess...you like the Yankees in MLB, the Cowboys in NFL and are a staunch democrat.... You and Thunder are rooting like hell for the seasons to be cancelled. Well...I'm rooting like hell for them not to be so folks like you and the rest of the cancel culture that continue to try and rewrite history, tear this country down and force socialism on America will show your true colors. Please continue down that path.... I just checked in today to read about the earthquake. What do I see? You and your slap happy once again doom and gloom. 99.4% recovery rate. Put that in your liberal pipe and smoke it.

Let me guess...you like the Yankees in MLB, the Cowboys in NFL and are a staunch democrat.... You and Thunder are rooting like hell for the seasons to be cancelled. Well...I'm rooting like hell for them not to be so folks like you and the rest of the cancel culture that continue to try and rewrite history, tear this country down and force socialism on America will show your true colors. Please continue down that path.... I just checked in today to read about the earthquake. What do I see? You and your slap happy once again doom and gloom. 99.4% recovery rate. Put that in your liberal pipe and smoke it.
Don’t like MLB. Pulled for the Redskins for decades until they hired Spurrier. Hate the Cowboys for what they did to Tom Landry.
Unaffiliated voter that has voted for more Republicans than Democrats in the last five elections. But I sure as hell won’t vote for Trump.
Maybe you should reconsider your assumptions and have intelligent conversation instead of attacking people who disagree with you.

Haven’t decided. But when people asked me previously if I would choose Bernie Sanders, my answer was Bernie Sanders, Deion Sanders or Colonel Sanders. Mitt Romney. John Kasich. Just not Trump. I may write in Kasich.
That’s part of the current problem. Some people think if you don’t support Trump, you’re a flaming liberal socialist. There are quite a few true Republicans who won’t and that number is growing.
Now enough of my political views, which only interest the few attackers who want to make everything about Trump (as he does).
Can it work for the overall athletic programs for spring high school football?

Haven’t decided. But when people asked me previously if I would choose Bernie Sanders, my answer was Bernie Sanders, Deion Sanders or Colonel Sanders. Mitt Romney. John Kasich. Just not Trump. I may write in Kasich.
That’s part of the current problem. Some people think if you don’t support Trump, you’re a flaming liberal socialist. There are quite a few true Republicans who won’t and that number is growing.
Now enough of my political views, which only interest the few attackers who want to make everything about Trump (as he does).
Can it work for the overall athletic programs for spring high school football?

Yeah I get so tired of the insults and assumptions because I hate Trump and his self serving mouth as well as some people making everything about Trump.

I saw a well known pastor in the area this morning after the earthquake telling people to pray for Trump because people will find a way to blame it on him. Nevermind the fact people had homes and businesses damaged. Did he ask people to pray for those people? Of course not.

With that said, back on task, I think schools can make it work. Imo they won't have a choice but to. I don't think you can say we are doing this but not this. It will take flexibility from everyone including those hard headed football coaches with the me mentality.

Last edited:
We were at our mountain place about 35 miles from Sparta. Heard a loud noise that sounded like a bunch of big trucks coming. No shaking. Weird how people in South Carolina felt it, but not everywhere around the area. But some pretty rugged photos from the Sparta area.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT