ADVERTISEMENT

The Main Question for 2020 Football

I would be shocked if there are playoffs, just to keep travel down. I think how it's handled will vary by district. One case might shut a whole team down, a conference, or county.

Would they really test that often to know? Most cases show no symptoms at all...so would you just run tests every week?

I still think the numbers in usa are somewhat bogus....this is election year, and the enemy will stoop as low as they need to try and win. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see the media calm down about the virus after the election. Just hope there isn't a miracle cure if Biden wins..and then the economy all opens back up and everyone is like wow Biden is doing such a great job...when in actuality the businesses that democrat governors kept closed for 6 months are just finally allowed to open back up.

Would they really test that often to know? Most cases show no symptoms at all...so would you just run tests every week?
Cases in Cherokee Co.91, Cases in Graham Co.10 Cases in Swain 73
Cases in Surry Co.604 all as of today and include the 5 counties surrounding Surry Co it is 4929. and over 222 deaths. Down here In civilization cases are higher. Surry County alone has more than your 5 surrounding counties. So when everyone is got it and dying up there in the boonies.you will change your toon. Forsyth Co where WSPrep & Bishop 30 minutes from our located, they are approaching 6000 cases with 40 deaths and my son works there 5 days a week. KW23 you are smarter than that. Do your homework......
You can check a Info here.
https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/dashboard#by-counties

Last edited:
Here is the thing, as I have said. If Mount Airy and Elkin play on a Friday. Saturday morning a kid from Elkin gets to feeling bad, he goes to get tested on Monday. Test positive. The whole Elkin football team will more than likely have to quarantine for 2 weeks, and guess what else? So will Mount Airy.

If they don't quarantine or get tested then those 60 kids and 30 coaches and field personel run around town on Saturday, go to church Sunday, and school Monday. Out of those 90, 30 people become infected with Covid. Most are asymptomatic and don't know they have it. So now hundreds of other people have been exposed to the virus, and now Surry County has gone from lets say 1000 cases to 1500 in the matter of a few days, then it's 2000. Hugh Chatham and Northern have no ICU capacity and 20 people die, maybe more.

That's how it works folks. That's the science. Like it or not. This is a highly contagious virus that we still do not know a lot about. We don't know what it does to people down the road. We don't know how long antibodies stay in your body. If you can or can't get it again.

There will be inconveniences until an effective vaccine is found. Until then the best thing we can hope for is this thing mutates to a less severe strand which looks like happened in Italy. But right now that doesn't look like it will happen in America anytime soon. I'm afraid we are just getting started with this thing.

I want football just as much as anyone. Heck I had a whole season mapped out of games I wanted to go see including Murphy and Robbinsville. But we have to be realistic. If it comes September 1st, school is still on plan B, we are limited to how many kids are on a bus, in a building, classroom, mask, and social distance, what makes anyone think a contact sport will be allowed?

Please if you want a sports season, take this serious, and do what you are asked for your fellow man.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocdavis31
Well, I am almost 70 so as I read your post, people my age don't matter as long as the teens who are getting it now play sports. I want football as bad as anyone but I am not ready to die and don't want the teens to get it either. A baby died this week and a few of all ages have died of COVID-19. Maybe and maybe they're not posting higher numbers but I know this is the worse virus in my 69 years. Praying for a cure is all I can say and I hope you don't get it and have to think about your post !
I get what your are saying..I will be 70 on July 30th...hope to be here a while longer myself....but we can;t stop living our lives because of a virus that affects basically a pretty small segment of our population....there is such a thing as quality of life....I feel like a lot of people have sold this part of their lives off, to "run and hide"...................this is my last post on the subject..........

I do think that most people can have a high level of quality of life by following some simple practices for a few more months. And that, by doing that, we can change the course of the pandemic.
It may not be right for everyone, but here are the things I do.
Follow the rules when shopping. If the store has directional arrows, follow them. It’s not hard. Wear a mask. Limit shopping trips by making sure I have a list.
Avoid large gatherings, especially indoors. My church is doing two virtual services, one current and one archived radio service from past years. It’s actually been kinda cool to hear some past preachers and hear my mother’s voice in the choir. She passed in 2012.
Buy a lot of takeout food. I try to support my local restaurants and leave a little extra tip because I know many of them are hurting. If I go to a restaurant and the employees aren’t wearing a mask, I don’t say anything. But I won’t be going back. If they don’t care about protecting me, they don’t deserve my money.
I’m a sales rep. My customers don’t want to see me in their stores right now. My business decreased forty percent for the first couple months, but has more than doubled over the past six weeks. I realize that isn’t true for everybody.
Didn’t care about going to movie theaters before and won’t miss it.
Use a pen to punch the buttons at the gas pump and ATM. Use a napkin to hold the gas pump handle and then throw it away. If I look dumb, so be it.
I’ve gone outside a lot more. The mountains are wonderful. Hiked Grandfather yesterday. Online reservations and masks required. I wore one in the gift shop and visitors’ center. So did everybody else. Only heard one person grumble. Didn’t wear it on the trail, but put it on when passing people. No big deal.
I see friends selectively. No large groups. Mostly outside and social distancing. I find I don’t miss the big groups, some of whom I really didn’t care about seeing anyway.
If high school football returns, I won’t care if I can’t get the reserved seats I’ve had for forty years. If the situation permits with limited capacity, I’ll go...and wear a mask if necessary. If not, the school will get my money anyway...maybe a little more. They need it.
This thing has sharpened my focus and reset my priorities. A lot of that extra was just “stuff”.
My quality of life is pretty good. I’m not totally protected. But the risk is lowered. Not hiding out and not afraid. I know what my future holds. But I’m not stupid either. Though my wife might not totally buy that.
The choices are not between go to a COVID party or shut it all down and run for your lives. Acceptable risk. We’ve all practiced it our entire lives. This isn’t that much different.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Here is New Mexico Schedule they just released yesterday.

Cross Country from Sept. 14 through November 13-14
Golf (Fall Season) from Sept. 14 through June 21-22
Volleyball from Oct. 5 through December 4-12
Basketball from Jan. 4 through March 1-13
Swimming & Diving from Jan. 4 through March 13 & 20
Spirit from TBD through March 26-27
Soccer from Feb. 15 through April 12-17
Football from Feb. 22 through April 23-24 & 30, May 1 & 8
Wrestling from April 5 through June 7-12
Baseball from April 5 through June 21-26
Softball from April 5 through June 21-26
Golf (Spring Season) from April 5 through June 21-22
Tennis from April 5 from June 14-19
Track & Field from April 5 through June 17-19 & 24-26

I think that's reasonable.

New Mexico must go to school a lot later in the year than North Carolina.

Here is another thought. I think this has to be all or nothing. What if the NCHSAA says let's do sports and districts such as Forsyth and Guilford say no? That creates a potential issue imo of now we have kids trying to transfer mid year. Do school districts want to enroll potentially a decent number of kids in the middle of a school year from out of district with everything schools are going through?

Another question, Graham County has had 10 cases, the same county that set up road blocks into the county early on during this. Do want to play a football season, make the playoffs and have Elkin roll into town from a county that's on an upward trend?

What about one of those charter schools from the Charlotte area?

Now all of a sudden a spread is happening in a remote county.

There are so many scenarios and logistical things to be addressed here.

Orange, Guilford, Meck, and Durham all going to remote learning. Looks like some will be in school the first week then go remote

I can think of a number of greater injustices. Like the fact the cops that killed Breonna Taylor are still walking free.

We've become spoiled to think we are guaranteed so many things in society. It sucks for the kids. It's awful. But at this point we aren't in a position to play sports and I am afraid these states going full on, will quickly back pedal just like they have with their reopenings.

Reactions: Illuminati704
Elkin City Schools reverses course and will be going 4-12 virtual. Reevaluate in September.

Last edited:
The ones that refuse to wear the mask to protect us all, I pray the states that tell us to wear the mask starts to fine the ones that don't a hefty fine of at least $500.00 and court cost. I do my part and have for over 3 months. Who is better than I am ? You don't wear a mask and get the virus and give it to an older person, they die, you killed that person and they never live to a normal death that was not passed on to them. I am seeing more wearing them even a homeless guy today was wearing. He is homeless but smarter than many.

But only old and people with health conditions die. That's the narrative.

How disrespectful do you feel that is TD?

I'm starting to think they're going to break yours when they greenlight fall sports

How are they going to greenlight sports when so many schools aren't even going to be in the classroom?

If only 50% enrollment is allowed, social distance, and mask with extreme restrictions, what makes you think high school sports will get the green light?

If a school bus can only have like 15 kids, how are schools going to transport athletes? A football team takes 3 buses? 4 for cheer leaders? And don't tell me to leave the cheerleaders at home, because that opens up a can of worms that no AD wants to deal with. Transportation cost quadruple.

As I have said, I want sports just as much as anyone on here, but I just don't see it happening by September 1st. Let's be real here. There are so many things people are not thinking through.

Just play ball isn't happening right now.

Thunder was that kid who drank all the kool aid and still does. Haha. This whole thing isn’t even political for me anymore. It’s about nothing but lies and agenda by all parties involved. It amazes me how many folks have let fear overtake their everyday life and lost the ability to think for themselves and reason a lot of very basic and simple questions. No matter what you or any other person says our kids are our most valuable resource in this state and nation and yes their life is more important and valuable than yours or mine. Would you not lay down your own life for your child? Anyone who is a parent can answer that question without hesitation. Our children are nothing but pawns in a game that a lot of folks could care less how they feel or what they think. Shame on any of you that say that our kids should just deal with it or if they have to sacrifice a season to protect others than that is what they do.

Reading medical and scholarly articles isn't drinking the kool aid. You should try it one time.
Oh, So that’s how you justify your life and wants being more valuable than that of our youth and future leaders. Funny that the only part of my post you addressed was the kool aid. Yep, your just like Cohen and Cooper, deflect and redirect from the hard questions. Makes total sense.

But only old and people with health conditions die. That's the narrative.

How disrespectful do you feel that is TD?
Not only am I in the older class but with diabetes, high blood pressure, and several diabetic related problems.I just wish this would go away so we all would be safe with life back to normal for the kids and all !

Oh, So that’s how you justify your life and wants being more valuable than that of our youth and future leaders. Funny that the only part of my post you addressed was the kool aid. Yep, your just like Cohen and Cooper, deflect and redirect from the hard questions. Makes total sense.

I value all lives and realize this is something we haven't faced in some time. No life is greater than the next. This isn't just about our safety but the safety of kids. Yes we should always want what is best for our kids, but sometimes that isn't possible. Part of life is dealing with adversity, and this should be used as a great lesson to teach kids how to deal with it.

Think what you want.

Last edited:
With that said, I hope everyone of you that are advocating for what's best for our kids, start paying attention to what goes on in Raleigh and caring for the whole education of kids.

I assume since you are advocating so hard for kids to play sports, you will give the same energy into ensuring kids are in fully funded and safe school buildings with no mold or water issues.

I can think of a number of greater injustices. Like the fact the cops that killed Breonna Taylor are still walking free.

We've become spoiled to think we are guaranteed so many things in society. It sucks for the kids. It's awful. But at this point we aren't in a position to play sports and I am afraid these states going full on, will quickly back pedal just like they have with their reopenings.

Oh you really think there isn’t more to a story than they just killed her and nothing else happened? Don’t be that ignorant.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT