ADVERTISEMENT

The Main Question for 2020 Football

Then have baseball and football at the same time and have the kids pick which one they want to play...I guarantee u more fans will be at football games. There is no travel or Aau football teams so if school football is cancelled football is cancelled period....If school baseball is cancelled kids can still play the sport through other ways. I think no highschool sports should be played this fall....give a vaccine or antibody medicine option more time to develop then play. Don't get me wrong...I hope nothing is cancelled at all...and I will go watch every game wearing a mask and stand or sit six feet apart from whomever. But it's easy for me not to worry because I don't have a child playing any sport. And I'm not worried about picking up a virus as a fan that I could pick up at a gas station or grocery store.

Last edited:
Then have baseball and football at the same time and have the kids pick which one they want to play...I guarantee u more fans will be at football games. There is no travel or Aau football teams so if school football is cancelled football is cancelled period....If school baseball is cancelled kids can still play the sport through other ways. I think no highschool sports should be played this fall....give a vaccine or antibody medicine option more time to develop then play. Don't get me wrong...I hope nothing is cancelled at all...and I will go watch every game wearing a mask and stand or sit six feet apart from whomever. But it's easy for me not to worry because I don't have a child playing any sport. And I'm not worried about picking up a virus as a fan that I could pick up at a gas station or grocery store.
It’s easy to say play both in the spring, but for most 1A and 2A programs that would be devastating. It doesn’t happen as much with 3A/4A but lots of the best athletes in 1A/2A play multiple sports that would be impacted. It isn’t fair to ask kids to choose between the two and, realistically, it will weaken all programs at most 1A/2A schools if this happened. Another issue you probably aren’t thinking about - field availability. Imagine having to schedule a spring sports season with varsity football, men’s soccer, women’s soccer, JV football and track all using the same facility. Not sure how the fields will hold up, much less what happens when you get multiple rainouts. Another issue - officials. Lots of football officials also umpire/referee other sports in the spring. If you play fall and spring sports all in the spring, you will have official shortages in multiple sports. Non-football sports may not matter to you, but they do matter to many folks around the state just like football matters. You’re not going to make everyone happy, but having ALL sports in the spring 2021 season is a horrible option.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
What do u suggest there NWWatchdog...right now playing any sport besides like golf and track where u have no real risk of anything happening is foolish in my opinion....so u don't just cut football which is the money maker for most schools...u move football to spring and then all the non money making sports get cancelled or whatever. People will get over it. Right now if they played football there would be so many teams cancelling games quarantining for 14 days...I mean some 1a schools have like 18 players dressed...u get a few kids that get the virus u got to fold up shop. I just don't see it happening right now. Even cancelling nonconference games that get huge gates and starting the season later could be devastating to a highschool athletics...the amount of people that come to watch football games is way more than other sports. So if football is cancelled whats gonna pay for the spring sports...it sure ain't gonna be the sports that average 25 fans(parents) in attendance and the concessions that average selling 2 slices of pizza a 3 cokes 2 bottles of water and a pack of skittles on game nights.

Reactions: Pisgah Bears
Another option I doubt for legal purposes would happen would be to have participants sign a waiver...If them or family get sick they can't sue the school...and the ones that want to play play....and the ones that don't feel comfortably don't....I still think u would have a bunch of teams have to forfeit games due to outbreaks right now. There just isn't a way to isolate and test all the time like the NBA is about to do with highschoolers...can't have a statewide bubble. I just want to watch some football...but like I said I don't have a kid playing/cheering or family member coaching or reffing so it's easy for me to get on here and say play ball since I personally don't have a high risk of catching the virus by going to watch the games. I would pay to watch the games online if need be or pay double to go watch the games in person to help make up for the people that might not go that usually go bc covid19

Last edited:
I have a few concerns about moving football to the spring:

1A/2A schools would have not only athletes that play multiple sports but also many football coaches also coach spring sports.
Would some players not play due to early enrollment at a college/university? Loss of a player with that skill level would cripple most football programs.
When would the season start? Late Feb. or early March? If so what about teams in the basketball playoffs? Would players that start late due to BB/wrestling still have to complete the required 10 days of practice before participation in a game?
We reschedule BB games and often play 2-3 a week, you couldn't play 2 football games a week.
What about out of state opponents that many schools must play to fill a schedule?
If we cancel some spring sports will anyone file suit against that school?
Would we also see volleyball, cross country and men's soccer move to the spring?
Most small schools have 1 atheletic trainor that covers all sports. If everything is moved to the spring do we need to provide additional health care providers?

Reactions: NWWatchdog
If played in spring I'd like to see baseball and football played at the same time and wrestling and bball before that.

Reactions: KW23
Schools like Elkin, East Wilkes, and Alleghany wouldn't. What people don't realize is often the top football players are also the top baseball players for 1A schools. You've got kids that would also choose baseball over football so it would hurt some schools numbers.

Last edited:
Yes but at Robbinsville it would work better to have wrestling and football separate.
We have alot that play both.

Reactions: NWWatchdog
BK, serious question, can a small 1A school have enough players to play both sports at the same time?

May can field team, but may not be competitive. At the level the best player is often QB in fall, PG in wInter and P/SS in spring.

Robbinsville could do it I think.
Nobody that starts on fb will choose baseball. Baseball isn't really high on the list here.

Reactions: Pisgah Bears
What about Murphy? Might be a different story there. What about girls sports? When do you play volleyball and softball? What about girls tennis?

Reactions: mbdfan
What do u suggest there NWWatchdog...right now playing any sport besides like golf and track where u have no real risk of anything happening is foolish in my opinion....so u don't just cut football which is the money maker for most schools...u move football to spring and then all the non money making sports get cancelled or whatever. People will get over it. Right now if they played football there would be so many teams cancelling games quarantining for 14 days...I mean some 1a schools have like 18 players dressed...u get a few kids that get the virus u got to fold up shop. I just don't see it happening right now. Even cancelling nonconference games that get huge gates and starting the season later could be devastating to a highschool athletics...the amount of people that come to watch football games is way more than other sports. So if football is cancelled whats gonna pay for the spring sports...it sure ain't gonna be the sports that average 25 fans(parents) in attendance and the concessions that average selling 2 slices of pizza a 3 cokes 2 bottles of water and a pack of skittles on game nights.
Someone on the 2A boards mentioned that Virginia is looking at starting basketball in December, Football in February, and baseball in May. That could work in NC too - shortened season for each sport. Basketball with 14-15 regular season games + playoffs, Football with 6-7 games + playoffs, baseball with 14-15 games + playoffs. Wait and put both mens/women’s soccer with spring sports after football is over (keeps the fields from being overused). Wrestling stays same time as basketball, volleyball would be during the same shortened season as football.

Might be a headache for ADs but lets assume we are good to go in January. Maybe play a winter sport regular season in January. Do a 2 week tournament the 1st 2 weeks of February. 3rd week of February start fall sports. Play 6 football games and have fall sports over by mid april. Spring sports start mid April or first of May and done mid June.

Two friends have the coronavirus right now. Their systems “other than a low grade fever it’s no worse than allergies”. Both are in their mid fifties
In that case, I guess I should get tested. I have had the same symptoms since sometime in January. temperature running from 97.4 to 99.9. Low energy, not feeling like doing anything. A lady on the news the other said she has had it and problems keep coming and going for 3 months. My sore throat want go away but temperature keeps changing. I work 4-4 hour days and if not working a am sleeping.

Last edited:
TN has delayed the start of their high school football season.
After the Governor’s press conference tomorrow I bet the NCHSAA does the same with fall sports. No way they will start on time if students aren’t in the building (options B and C).

Some of you talking about Football being played in the spring would hurt baseball and basketball..I agree but if they don't have JV football they could help with the other sports.

After the Governor’s press conference tomorrow I bet the NCHSAA does the same with fall sports. No way they will start on time if students aren’t in the building (options B and C).

Now saying press conf tomorrow will not include info on how schools will reopen this school year.

Reactions: Gentle Knight
BK, serious question, can a small 1A school have enough players to play both sports at the same time?

Most teams in the SMC can't pull it off. Even those that can field both fields probably won't be competitive in both because some of your best players now have to choose. But almost all SMC kids that play football and baseball both would skip baseball.

Reactions: KW23
But almost all SMC kids that play football and baseball both would skip baseball.
Murphy would lose a few to baseball guaranteed. We are talking important players too, not bodies.

'Dogs were in line for a big year in both sports, brought literally everyone back in baseball and were going to be upperclassmen heavy this season. The same thing can just about be said for football, brought almost everybody back from last season and lots of seasoned upperclassmen.

So if they can't have all their kids in both sports then I don't want to see it, watered down product.

Last edited:
why not push everything back to September 15th. This virus is serious but I feel 1st we need to take steps in assuring our students and teachers are safe before we focus on football or any sport. Kids 14-18 are dying from this virus as well. Time to go to serious lockdown mode for at least the month of July

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Perhaps if they did football and baseball at the same time, kids could do both. Football would just have to get over it. Play baseball games on Monday and Wednesday. Baseball practice Tueaday. Football practice Thursday Friday. Play on Saturday. Kids that want to play baseball only can practice on Thursday too.

I’m hearing from some folks in Raleigh that there will be a press conference today, but no definitive announcement about schools. No announcement is better than the wrong decision that has to be changed later.

I’m hearing from some folks in Raleigh that there will be a press conference today, but no definitive announcement about schools. No announcement is better than the wrong decision that has to be changed later.

I think more time is obviously needed. Especially with the changing data. School goes back in what 6 weeks or so?

why not push everything back to September 15th. This virus is serious but I feel 1st we need to take steps in assuring our students and teachers are safe before we focus on football or any sport. Kids 14-18 are dying from this virus as well. Time to go to serious lockdown mode for at least the month of July

You will not hear little about this virus After November and magically a vaccine will appear. While all this is going on they’ve ceased to print coins. Pretty soon they’ll have all our information on a chip and a one world currency.

Reactions: BK13T-$
You will not hear little about this virus After November and magically a vaccine will appear. While all this is going on they’ve ceased to print coins. Pretty soon they’ll have all our information on a chip and a one world currency.

Stop, just stop. That is disrespectful to anyone that has died of this virus and anyone that is fighting it right now. I am watching a good friend battle this virus currently and I am not here to hear your lies about it.

Perhaps if they did football and baseball at the same time, kids could do both. Football would just have to get over it. Play baseball games on Monday and Wednesday. Baseball practice Tueaday. Football practice Thursday Friday. Play on Saturday. Kids that want to play baseball only can practice on Thursday too.
Not fair to either team to do that. You want only 2 days to game plan for FB? You want to go from Thursday to Monday with no baseball practice and role straight into a game on Monday? What FB coach wants his QB pitching on Wednesday, then coming in with a tired arm for Thur-Sat? What happens when baseball is rained out Wednesday and they have to move the game to Thursday or Friday? I love that you’re open minded to letting kids play both at the same time, but I just don’t think it’s safe or feasible for the kids to do so.

Not fair to either team to do that. You want only 2 days to game plan for FB? You want to go from Thursday to Monday with no baseball practice and role straight into a game on Monday? What FB coach wants his QB pitching on Wednesday, then coming in with a tired arm for Thur-Sat? What happens when baseball is rained out Wednesday and they have to move the game to Thursday or Friday? I love that you’re open minded to letting kids play both at the same time, but I just don’t think it’s safe or feasible for the kids to do so.

Is it feasible? Maybe not. But let's not forget many of these kids are playing travel ball on the weekend outside of season.

Stop, just stop. That is disrespectful to anyone that has died of this virus and anyone that is fighting it right now. I am watching a good friend battle this virus currently and I am not here to hear your lies about it.

prayers for your friend. What I mean is this virus has become propagandized for political games. Should never be this. The government is using it as an excuse to gain more control over us.

Reactions: BK13T-$
prayers for your friend. What I mean is this virus has become propagandized for political games. Should never be this. The government is using it as an excuse to gain more control over us.
How is that? Tell me?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT