ADVERTISEMENT

The Main Question for 2020 Football

Folks it is time to move on back to football, this has gotten far to political for a HS football board. Let’s go back to TD’s original question of “when does everyone think football will start? This is not a Trump or Biden campaign board.

Since the two boards have merged I believe I can speak for many that if participation is an issue why not create a rendition of a "off topic" forum? Just asking. Traffic is slow due to many reasons other than Covid 19. I'm not a marketing person but it seems like that would be the thing to do if you want to increase traffic.

Reactions: Illuminati704
July 1st can’t come soon enough! From what I am hearing step are being taken in preparation for virtual classes. One of the big issues is in the transportation aspect of reopening. If schools have to bus limited numbers of kids on bus the cost of a single route will be quadrupled. I hope we get back to normal as soon as possible.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
July 1st can’t come soon enough! From what I am hearing step are being taken in preparation for virtual classes. One of the big issues is in the transportation aspect of reopening. If schools have to bus limited numbers of kids on bus the cost of a single route will be quadrupled. I hope we get back to normal as soon as possible.
I know we are a long ways from the mountains, but Winston Salem/Forsyth County schools have created a entire virtual school for anyone wishing to enroll. It will be run as a stand alone school with a principal and teachers dedicated to it. I am betting most larger systems have also and probably a lot of smaller systems.

I know we are a long ways from the mountains, but Winston Salem/Forsyth County schools have created a entire virtual school for anyone wishing to enroll. It will be run as a stand alone school with a principal and teachers dedicated to it. I am betting most larger systems have also and probably a lot of smaller systems.
Davidson County has done the same for parents who choose it.

Good to hear, so how about our Northwest Conference, Western Piedmont, Mountain Valley Conference Schools in my area, and any other Conference Schools that want to add their input to how other schools are going to handle a new school year.

Last edited:
I can see that anyone going out shopping and workers will be required to wear masks. I was telling people late April or early May that if all states would do this for maybe 2 or 3 weeks this would be over by now. That was back when the grocery stores, Walmart & Lowes Hardware with nothing was excluded to buy had packed parking lots and everyone was clearing the shelves of toilet paper, alcohol, hand sanitizer, and paper towels. No worries about food running out. I guess they planned on eat toilet paper and sugaring down hand sanitizer for desert. Now you occasionally see toilet paper, alcohol, hand sanitizer, and paper towels. Also, all the small Mom & Pop stores could have been allowed to open with social distancing. Just venting LOL, what I wanted to say was, with all this to say, I hope the school systems have stocked up on toilet paper, alcohol, hand sanitizer, and paper towels for back to school whenever it happens.

Reactions: Pisgah Bears
The creation of “virtual” schools will keep state funding this year but may encourage families to leave the public school system in the long term! Many businesses are now realizing that working from home by many employees is a win- win situation! The same may occur with our schools. So when many of our families keep their children home, what happens to high school sports and the arts! Plus the idea of “community” takes a big hit! Plus many of the jobs folks are leaving may NEVER come back. So our public schools and community colleges will more important than ever!

There is so many kids that live out in the country away from cities away from access to the internet and some have no cellphone reception. How will “virtual” schools work for them. One area that comes to mind in the NWC is North Stokes High where even cellphone reception is spotty. With all schools closed the states could pay Hughs Internet Satellite company for satellite service or that is the only satellite company that I know of but pay a satellite company for those without internet service.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThrowItAround
The creation of “virtual” schools will keep state funding this year but may encourage families to leave the public school system in the long term! Many businesses are now realizing that working from home by many employees is a win- win situation! The same may occur with our schools. So when many of our families keep their children home, what happens to high school sports and the arts! Plus the idea of “community” takes a big hit! Plus many of the jobs folks are leaving may NEVER come back. So our public schools and community colleges will more important than ever!

would need a huge internet initiative for that to be true everywhere in the state, but I agree with you about arts and community.

Broadband access needs to be provided across the state, but the legislature won't touch it with a 10 foot pole unfortunately.

That's the only way virtual learning will work.

Good to hear, so how about our Northwest Conference, Western Piedmont, Mountain Valley Conference Schools in my area, and any other Conference Schools that want to add their input to how other schools are going to handle a new school year.

Surry County Schools already had virtual learning as an option in place. East Surry, North Surry, and Surry Central all already had this for a few years now. Add the virtual learning to the college readiness program where kids are taking college classes at the community college, one of the satellite centers, or online and those schools are probably at best 60% capacity on a good day.

What’s everyone thinking if NC doesn’t have a season and let’s say TN, GA, and SC play. Would a lot of athletes try to transfer? Do you think any of the Murphy boys would jump to Copper Basin?

What’s everyone thinking if NC doesn’t have a season and let’s say TN, GA, and SC play. Would a lot of athletes try to transfer? Do you think any of the Murphy boys would jump to Copper Basin?

No. Union or Fannin, maybe. Copper Basin? No way lol.

I’m thinking best case scenario is mid-September games starting for football. Going to be hard to justify having games if kids aren’t in school buildings daily. If kids are back in the buildings (either full time or alternating days) then I can see fall sports returning. If not, then there may be no fall sports for 2020-2021, which would make it tough on some schools financially to still offer winter and spring sports. I hope I’m wrong and things start on time, but I just can’t see it right now.

I’m thinking best case scenario is mid-September games starting for football. Going to be hard to justify having games if kids aren’t in school buildings daily. If kids are back in the buildings (either full time or alternating days) then I can see fall sports returning. If not, then there may be no fall sports for 2020-2021, which would make it tough on some schools financially to still offer winter and spring sports. I hope I’m wrong and things start on time, but I just can’t see it right now.

I don't see it on alternating days just because of transportation and the fact extreme social distancing will be required.

I don't see it on alternating days just because of transportation and the fact extreme social distancing will be required.
One of the possibilities is for schools to reopen at 50% capacity. That could mean A/B days for all grades with 1/2 students coming on the A days and the other 1/2 on the B days. It could also include some students (high school, maybe middle school) learning online while elementary and some middle school kids utilize both their buildings and the high school buildings (allowing larger spaces for social distancing with younger kids). Who knows what will happen though.

Cooper is going to keep schools closed...no fall sports.... the democrat governors are banding together.... all politics.... watch and see. If I'm wrong.. ban me... It's already happening in the Northeast... the only chance the democrats have of winning is to shut down the economy. I hate it's taking the kids' into it... but, it's where we are as a country now.

Cooper is going to keep schools closed...no fall sports.... the democrat governors are banding together.... all politics.... watch and see. If I'm wrong.. ban me... It's already happening in the Northeast... the only chance the democrats have of winning is to shut down the economy. I hate it's taking the kids' into it... but, it's where we are as a country now.

sadly, I have to agree with you. This is a political mess at this point and Gov. Cooper has shown me 0 leadership qualities to this point.

I will have to just laugh if he comes out this week and requires masks in public, something that should have been done back in April..not the end of June. He is a waste of space for us in Raleigh.

sadly, I have to agree with you. This is a political mess at this point and Gov. Cooper has shown me 0 leadership qualities to this point.

I will have to just laugh if he comes out this week and requires masks in public, something that should have been done back in April..not the end of June. He is a waste of space for us in Raleigh.
Requiring masks in April would have done three things, two of them bad. The good effect is that it would protect more people. But, at that time, masks were very hard to find for most people. So, many people would have had no choice but to violate the order. Secondly, at that time there was a shortage of masks for the health care professionals who needed them most. So masks used for the general population would have exacerbated that problem.
In April, far more businesses and events were closed. There was a stay at home order that should have reduced the need for masks. But if you didn’t have one, you couldn’t get one.
The bigger question for posters on here is are you wearing one now? And if it’s required, will you start wearing one? I’m afraid I know the answer for most people, which ironically is a big part of the reason we need one.
By the way, NC Republican Senator Thom Tillis just urged all North Carolinians to wear a mask any time they’re in public. Republican governors in Ohio and Maryland are requiring them. Let’s get the politics out of the discussion. It’s a public health issue that respects no geographic boundaries or political parties.

Last edited:
Requiring masks in April would have done three things, two of them bad. The good effect is that it would protect more people. But, at that time, masks were very hard to find for most people. So, many people would have had no choice but to violate the order. Secondly, at that time there was a shortage of masks for the health care professionals who needed them most. So masks used for the general population would have exacerbated that problem.
In April, far more businesses and events were closed. There was a stay at home order that should have reduced the need for masks. But if you didn’t have one, you couldn’t get one.
The bigger question for posters on here is are you wearing one now? And if it’s required, will you start wearing one? I’m afraid I know the answer for most people, which ironically is a big part of the reason we need one.
By the way, NC Republican Senator Thom Tillis just urged all North Carolinians to wear a mask any time they’re in public. Republican governors in Ohio and Maryland are requiring them. Let’s get the politics out of the discussion. It’s a public health issue that respects no geographic boundaries or political parties.

I didn’t speak incorrectly when I said April. While small businesses were closed, grocery stores and Walmart, etc were all wide open. People should have been wearing masks then, and it should have been required when we entered phase II.

the virus itself is not political, but the way it’s been handled is. Should people be wearing masks? Yes. The problem is in NC, people don’t trust Cooper or Cohen anymore, and will do anything to defy his orders at this point. He can’t say wear a mask and social distance, when he didn’t do it himself in the streets.

I didn’t speak incorrectly when I said April. While small businesses were closed, grocery stores and Walmart, etc were all wide open. People should have been wearing masks then, and it should have been required when we entered phase II.

the virus itself is not political, but the way it’s been handled is. Should people be wearing masks? Yes. The problem is in NC, people don’t trust Cooper or Cohen anymore, and will do anything to defy his orders at this point. He can’t say wear a mask and social distance, when he didn’t do it himself in the streets.
He actually did wear a mask, but didn’t always have it pulled up while he was walking and talking. So somewhat a valid point.
If people know they should wear a mask and don’t,simply to defy an elected leader, isn’t that the real issue?

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Cooper has stuck to his guns and not wavered. He took this serious from the start. I am thankful money hasn't driven his decisions like some. Kids are also starting to contract the virus. There is fear they can bring it home to elder parents and grandparents. The decision will be made in the best interest of health. The NCGA will have to come off of money for us to be back in school and I don't see it happening.

As far as mask go, early in there wasn't as much research on their effectiveness. Now there is. So it's either a mask or a shutdown. You're required to wear a shirt and shoes in an establishment so what's wrong with a mask? It's not fun but just do what's right for your fellow man.

There you go spouting off things you don't know about. "Republican governors in Ohio and Maryland are requiring them". The Governor from Michigan, Governor Gretchen Whitmeyer, is a hard core leftist Democrat that has been vying for the VP nomination by issuing over 170 executing orders, keeping her state shut down until having to open it up by the Michigan Supreme Court. Nothing says "my side is better" than distorting the facts in order to support a narrative. If you notice, the democrat led states are the ones that are clamoring to stay shut down. You know why OCS? It's the economy stupid. That's a quote from James Carvelle about Bill Clinton winning in '96. Dims know that if the economy is good President Trump will win in a landslide. Two or three liberal seats will be opened in the next four years. That is 100% why the dims are all in to destroy Trump, the GOP and the direction the country is heading. Bow down to Soros, Clinton Foundation and your King Obama. Tear down the statues of our founders and Jesus. See how that works out for you.

There you go spouting off things you don't know about. "Republican governors in Ohio and Maryland are requiring them". The Governor from Michigan, Governor Gretchen Whitmeyer, is a hard core leftist Democrat that has been vying for the VP nomination by issuing over 170 executing orders, keeping her state shut down until having to open it up by the Michigan Supreme Court. Nothing says "my side is better" than distorting the facts in order to support a narrative. If you notice, the democrat led states are the ones that are clamoring to stay shut down. You know why OCS? It's the economy stupid. That's a quote from James Carvelle about Bill Clinton winning in '96. Dims know that if the economy is good President Trump will win in a landslide. Two or three liberal seats will be opened in the next four years. That is 100% why the dims are all in to destroy Trump, the GOP and the direction the country is heading. Bow down to Soros, Clinton Foundation and your King Obama. Tear down the statues of our founders and Jesus. See how that works out for you.
I simply noted that two Republican governors are also requiring them. It’s a fact. Not sure what is “spouting” about that. For me, it’s not about partisan politics.

You’re arguing with a bunch of people who have a cult like fetish with a totalitarian “leader”.
I have a lot of respect for Sportsnut 17. He nudged us back toward the topic and away from politics. I’m trying to honor that, because he’s right. Nobody on here is going to convince anybody to change their political opinion. But contrary to some folks’ opinions, there really are facts and science. Those convince me, regardless of politics.

Great news, 5 pm news today said Roy Cooper said Friday at 5 pm North Carolina goes to an everyone out shopping or out around other people must wear a mask unless a Doctor excuss with a breathing problem. Hell, I have been wearing mine for 2 or 3 months now. Scary out at my age. I have said for months that if everyone wore a mask this crap would go away in a month or 2 and if this had been enacted March or April, we probably would not be dealing with it now. The mask is just your respect for those around you because you may have it and not know it yet. If you want to see football sooner rather than later then follower this and see where it take us. I think you will be surprised.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pisgah Bears
He kept us in phase 2 for 3 more wks
No one going to wear a mask.
I saw one city that has already invoked it about a week ago has a $1000.00 fine. The state needs money so I see a huge fine coming from the state if this is not followed. Plus it will take a low life that will not respect the elderly and others to put this CORONAVIRUS behind us. We can set home for maybe 6 months to a year waiting for a cure with no school or football or we can do what needs to be done. NC was up over 1700 new cases for the day and climbing and they can shut everything down again if people don't comply. No comply, no football or school. If people want to give it to older parents, grandparents, or older friends or customers then we may be a doomed country because these POS looters are going to be passing it on. I have respected and wore a collection of 5 masks changed daily when I work 4, 4 hours days I will be 70 in a few months and I am protecting others by wearing my and deserve the same respect. Younger people are getting it now and if someone doesn't follow wearing the mask, I sure want be hurt if they get it. Sorry but I am and have been wearing mine for about 3 months to protect the people around me since I am in the age group that is not surviving it I wish others would pay me the same respect. It is about respect for you fellow citizens ! Also if you don't have a mask on business do not have to let you come in and I hope the don't because you can be charged with trespassing and taken to jail ! If you don't agree then you have my Prayers. This crap needs to go and everyone needs to do their part to make it go. It is the American way !

Last edited:
Someone that thinks someone from Hungry is calling all the shots for the democratic party is the least of my concerns, nor do I take them serious in a spar.

Back on topic
Lol....not taking someone "serious in a spar" and then saying Soros is from "Hungry"...priceless

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT