ADVERTISEMENT

The Main Question for 2020 Football

Absolutely, coaches working together. And often times, the head wrestling or basketball coach is likely a football assistant. Chances are the seasons will be shortened anyways since winter is now starting 12/1.

From my experience, football coaches aren't too flexible. But they'll have to be.

Reactions: Wow71
Basketball and Wrestling coaches at good football schools have to wait weeks into the season almost every year for the football players to finish the season. Football can wait for Winter to finish just the same.

This isn't a good comparison, to me its easier for wrestling and basketball to share than the other way around. Both of those sports are playing 20 plus games, and are playing multiple times a week. It is easier to move basketball game and wrestling match around than football. You could play 2 games a week max, and that can be a stretch in football season. If they miss the first 3 weeks of an already shortened season you may only have your multiple sport athletes for a handful of games.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is academic eligibility for spring. If football is moved to spring, first semester grades would determine eligibility, along with the other academic requirements. Players had better be attending the virtual classes in the first semester.

I wouldn't be shocked if eligibility requirements get waved. I don't think they should because we need to have a level of accountability. But wouldn't shock me.

I wouldn't be shocked if eligibility requirements get waved. I don't think they should because we need to have a level of accountability. But wouldn't shock me.
That would surprise me since apparently Que Tucker has been emphasizing that issue to the superintendents. It’s one of the downsides to spring ball and one of the reasons it isn’t getting more traction.

West Forsyth had a soccer player test positive and have quarantined all that were in contact.

No way to play when that will be the story of the year.

That would surprise me since apparently Que Tucker has been emphasizing that issue to the superintendents. It’s one of the downsides to spring ball and one of the reasons it isn’t getting more traction.
If no spring football for 2020 -2021 I can't see any football for the 20 -21 year unless there is a miracle drug that comes in August. So I guess we wait another year for high school football. I have had a bad feeling for a few weeks that it will not happen. So many great seniors that will not get to show what greatness they possess because of this China Virus. They need to pay up to the whole world. They could have stopped there, but no, they gave it to the whole world. Screwed up everyone's lives and need payback ! ! !

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is academic eligibility for spring. If football is moved to spring, first semester grades would determine eligibility, along with the other academic requirements. Players had better be attending the virtual classes in the first semester.

Seniors that do not pass the required classes or graduate early will not be eligible for spring sports. Sometimes they will only need 1-2 of the 8 classes to graduate so they skip class, don't attend or don't complete work.

My daughter is heartbroken. Mitchell decided virtual classes for high school until January. She’s a freshmen cheerleader and co-captain and was looking forward to showing off her arm with the mini footballs. She’s also missing social interaction and being alone all day this fall and winter is depressing her. I’ve never seen a kid want to go to school so bad. There comes a point in time where we have to decide what’s worse for all of us. The kids are our future.

Reactions: Mhsneer
This isn't a good comparison, to me its easier for wrestling and basketball to share than the other way around. Both of those sports are playing 20 plus games, and are playing multiple times a week. It is easier to move basketball game and wrestling match around than football. You could play 2 games a week max, and that can be a stretch in football season. If they miss the first 3 weeks of an already shortened season you may only have your multiple sport athletes for a handful of games.

Winter has already been pushed to 12/1 with a first competition date of 12/15 so BB and Wrestling teams will already be losing four weeks of events. A shortened season seems like the only options at this point. Cannot speak for all schools, but in general a player cannot quit a season, drop off the team or move to another sport until that current season ends. I have seen a few HC's in football promote JV kids to varsity to sit on the bench and hold a dummy in practice during the football playoffs, and that cripples the winter teams early on. If a kid is a state level wrestler or plays on a playoff BB team, then the fall sports will have to wait and it hurts either way. This really hurts small schools even more since many of the kids play 3-4 sports a year. NCHSAA has some planning to do for sure to help accommodate the 20-21 school year.

My daughter is heartbroken. Mitchell decided virtual classes for high school until January. She’s a freshmen cheerleader and co-captain and was looking forward to showing off her arm with the mini footballs. She’s also missing social interaction and being alone all day this fall and winter is depressing her. I’ve never seen a kid want to go to school so bad. There comes a point in time where we have to decide what’s worse for all of us. The kids are our future.

sad thing is the news is driving this thing way out of proportion

sad thing is the news is driving this thing way out of proportion

Go tell that to the mother in Wilkes County that currently has a 6 year old child in the hospital right now struggling because he contracted a disorder that is showing up in children 4-6 weeks after they have an asymptomatic bout with Covid! A parent that had no clue her child had Covid until he got extremely sick and was given an anitbody test after being rushed to the hospital. A fully healthy child.

Or the parents of the 7 year old that died in Georgia.

Or the parents of the 6 year old in Tennessee that died.

2 states that have treated this like a joke..

This is what we are up against. This is what is going to happen to children when they go back to school.

I swear some people will not get this until it hits home.

I hate this for your daughter and all students, but I'm afraid school is going to be miserable for them until this is contained.

Winter has already been pushed to 12/1 with a first competition date of 12/15 so BB and Wrestling teams will already be losing four weeks of events. A shortened season seems like the only options at this point. Cannot speak for all schools, but in general a player cannot quit a season, drop off the team or move to another sport until that current season ends. I have seen a few HC's in football promote JV kids to varsity to sit on the bench and hold a dummy in practice during the football playoffs, and that cripples the winter teams early on. If a kid is a state level wrestler or plays on a playoff BB team, then the fall sports will have to wait and it hurts either way. This really hurts small schools even more since many of the kids play 3-4 sports a year. NCHSAA has some planning to do for sure to help accommodate the 20-21 school year.
Yes they will loose 4 weeks, but in a normal year if it is a good football program they would still be in the playoffs anyway, so the early non conference basketball and wrestling matches tended to get postponed or cancelled before the 1st of December. I 100% agree that Head football coaches should not just hold kids from winter sports just for numbers. If the nchsaa recent handling of events is any indication, 20-21 will be another cluster for sure. Their isn’t any perfect answers right now, but I have always believed the worse thing leadership can do is not make a decision.

Last edited:
Yes they will loose 4 weeks, but in a normal year if it is a good football program they would still be in the playoffs anyway, so the early non conference basketball and wrestling matches tended to get postponed or cancelled before the 1st of December. I 100% agree that Head football coaches should just hold kids from winter sports just for numbers. If the nchsaa recent handling of events is any indication, 20-21 will be another cluster for sure.

I hope a solid plan is put forth soon.

Reactions: LetsGetIt7
I hope a solid plan is put forth soon.

I agree sir! Enough sitting on your hands and waiting. Whatever they decide won’t be popular with some, but they are in the position to lead. Play or don’t play, doesn’t matter, but they are paid the big bucks to make the tough calls, we have been dealing with since March officially, and yet no stable plan to speak of.

Reactions: therealsquid
I agree sir! Enough sitting on your hands and waiting. Whatever they decide won’t be popular with some, but they are in the position to lead. Play or don’t play, doesn’t matter, but they are paid the big bucks to make the tough calls, we have been dealing with since March officially, and yet no stable plan to speak of.

Danged if you do danged if you don't.

Reactions: LetsGetIt7
Just curious where you saw that winter had been pushed to Dec 15 first competition date. I haven’t seen that anywhere. Thanks.

Here you go Mr. Twilight Zone. I guess it's all blown out of proportion.

As I have said, until this hits home, I am afraid so many people will continue to choose to ignore it.

https://www.journalpatriot.com/covi...gn=blox&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social
Trust me sir when heart attacks,cancer,
Car wrecks,suicides, drug abuse,overdoses ,murder, etc. hit home, its just plain awful..I can promise a death to covid is no more of a surprise than any of the things I just mentioned. Or is the covid death any worse..Its life.

Reactions: Mhsneer
You said the kid was struggling but the article said he was up and running around being discharged on Saturday hopefully. He will some follow ups.

Yeah he was struggling when I was made aware of the story 2 days ago. I know people really close to the situation and am close to that community. Luckily he has made a great improvements in the last day.

Trust me sir when heart attacks,cancer,
Car wrecks,suicides, drug abuse,overdoses ,murder, etc. hit home, its just plain awful..I can promise a death to covid is no more of a surprise than any of the things I just mentioned. Or is the covid death any worse..Its life.

The difference is people take those things serious. At least many people do. People still think Covid is a joke.

The difference is people take those things serious. At least many people do. People still think Covid is a joke.

What I think is a joke is that you want to use small children for shock value to prove a point.

Guess what my son was born with a heart problem and was a month early. He had to take medicine for 6 months and have follow up in Winston Salem.

My daughter had kidney reflux. Spent a week in Johnson City hospital with a bad infection at 5 months old.They couldn’t get a IV in her little fat hand. They had to put a picc line in her leg and had a hard time. After about 1hr they final got it in nurses crying. Then at 6 months old she had surgery on her kidneys in Knoxville at the Children’s Surgeon Center. She looked like a beach ball after surgery. A Covid child is not any worse than what I went through as a dad with 2 kids.

What I think is a joke is that you want to use small children for shock value to prove a point.

Guess what my son was born with a heart problem and was a month early. He had to take medicine for 6 months and have follow up in Winston Salem.

My daughter had kidney reflux. Spent a week in Johnson City hospital with a bad infection at 5 months old.They couldn’t get a IV in her little fat hand. They had to put a picc line in her leg and had a hard time. After about 1hr they final got it in nurses crying. Then at 6 months old she had surgery on her kidneys in Knoxville at the Children’s Surgeon Center. She looked like a beach ball after surgery. A Covid child is not any worse than what I went through as a dad with 2 kids.

It's not a joke or a "shock point" and it's no worse than what several people including you have went through. With that said, I am sick and tired of people dismissing a highly contagious virus that most people don't know they have!

I hope I am wrong, but we are about to see many of our youth incredibly ill over this! If I am wrong I will own it and I hope I am.

It's not a joke or a "shock point" and it's no worse than what several people including you have went through. With that said, I am sick and tired of people dismissing a highly contagious virus that most people don't know they have!

I hope I am wrong, but we are about to see many of our youth incredibly ill over this! If I am wrong I will own it and I hope I am.

This is a football thread. If you are sick and tired, please just leave the board. Im honestly tired of reading your repetitive comments.

News flash we start dying when we take our 1st breath. Think about how many kids never get a chance at that 1st breath. All I can say is you better be ready when it’s your time.

Last edited:
I don't think I have ever seen a thread that went over 5 or 6,000 posts or less that there weren't a lot of repetitive comments from almost everyone including me. That's just the way it goes on a message board. People just are intent on getting their point across if they believe deeply in what they are saying and they don't seem to get people to understand when everyone has and deserves their opinions as well. It goes one and will as long as we have a message board. So don't complain if you are going to continue reading their post because you are repetitively complaining. I enjoy reading all posts. LOL....., This post is directed to no single person and just my opinion......

This is a football thread. If you are sick and tired, please just leave the board. Im honestly tired of reading your repetitive comments.

No thanks I'm fine.

I'm going to keep trying my best to get people to understand this. If you want to dismiss and act like it needs to be business as usual feel free. You don't have to read my comments.

What did shutting the country down accomplish? There’s a reason people call use the term going viral. They have to run their course

Reactions: BK13T-$
Correct, this is a football thread and it is COVID-19 related because it was asking when do you think we will have a football season Fall 2020 Spring 2021 ? I ask that because of COVID-19. The first post listed below.
"When do you think we will have a football season Fall 2020 Spring 2021. Will it start on time in August 2020 or sometime in September 2020. I have even seen spring 2021. Does anyone really know or just some ideas from one or all."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT