ADVERTISEMENT

The Boys from The Creek will again steamroll Wake Forest

ggman

Dec 7, 2001
Wake Forest looked pretty sharp in their Eastern finals Championship match last weekend against Garner.Their feature running back Bryce Love was indeed impressive and has some serious wheels - BUT - how will all that play out when they have to match up against "THE HEAVIES" from The West. Sadly for the Cougars reality will come avalanching down once more. The truth that will quickly manifest itself is that the huge athletic defensive line of Mallard Creek will be a far different MONSTER from any they have faced this year.The running lanes if any will certainly be much narrower than last weekends were. If Wake can however be somewhat successful through the air they might slow down some of the defensive pressure they'll be facing. Last Friday The Mavericks showed some problems with stopping the running of Lake Norman's quarterback who broke off several good gains (Lake Norman i believe would win this upcoming championship also ) and had a stout and pretty accurate throwing arm. Mallard built a 4114 lead in the Western finish and seemingly relaxed allowing a never say die LNHS Wildcats team to claw back into a one possession tie.You can believe The Mavericks will have been strongly reminded that they won't be given their second straight State Championship and will be mission focused. Lets all hope to see a quality competitive final but i just think Mallard Creek wins in another embarrassing crushing.

If Wake Forest can keep their composure if they get down a couple of scores, then I think they can hang in there and this can be a ball game. MC's D has not had the ability this season to totally snuff out an opposing offense like the '13 unit could, so the potential is there for WF to make a play here and there and eventually climb back in it.

On the other side of the ball, it doesn't matter if Mallard Creek gets down by 30 or whatever. We know they'll keep their cool and eventually mount a big comeback.

I have a feeling for Wake Forest, however, that after their first two meetings with Western powers did not go so well (lost 44-0 to Butler in '10 and 59-21 to MC in '13), then the wheels will come off their false bravado pretty quick if things don't go their way right out of the gate. They need something good to happen in their favor early in the game, and then they need to buckle down and dig deep for 48 minutes. Mallard Creek doesn't seem to care if they get down early, they don't lose their confidence no matter what.

When Joe Cox turns that offense loose it is lethal but seems they have put the brakes on it several times. Thought that was the case in the first Butler game. Had the momentum, Butler D looked tired and on their heels, but MC chose to slow it down and use a lot of play clock.

The MC D is what makes me think this game will be close. I do believe that MC QB Smith will put up big numbers and that MC will be able to get outside the big D line. I am looking for a high scoring game.

Mallard Creek is going to score. On the turf at BB@T in great conditions I think they climb into the 40's and if it is a competitive 4 qt game maybe into the 50's. Every game since the Vance game this year has been in the 40's by early 3rd quarter and then they lost some momentum. If big number #71 and #76 can get some pressure and penetration it might take a couple things out of the play book but Grier, Horton, Medley,Harbison will be Madden 15 in the secondary and Smith is playing at another level.

Game really boils down to the Oline of Wake. If they can spring Love and get MC on their heels some then it might be a ballgame but looking at them they look smaller and less athletic than most average Meck teams. Without a passing game or QB like ladowski or Ratliff- Williams I am having a hard time seeing them sustain offense.

MC has really been pretty stout defensively since the Hough game. Lot of changes in personnel at about the midway point of the season. It took 41 pass attempts from the Player of the year to get them back in the game last week. WF throws it about 7 times a game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT