ADVERTISEMENT

THE BIG 3!

Good point but still doesn't change my mind.
When was the last time Swain finished outside top 3?

When was the last time Swain finished outside top 3?
2008. I would all but guarantee that at least one of Andrews/Hayesville will beat Swain this year.

Swain graduated their entire defense and o-line and lost their best skill player to transfer. The only real contributors they bring back on the whole team are Lossiah, Groenewold and Taylor. There isnt much talent coming up from JV to supplement the graduation losses either.

Last edited:
Reactions: CherokeeKid
Sorry that's the numbers off the show LOST. I can't remember much about it but those numbers are stuck in my head, lol

Heard Robbinsville had low 30s show up so far
I wouldn’t be telling numbers! Not supposed to have over 25 outside including coaches, trainers, managers and players. Also weight rooms and locker rooms are closed. I am sure Dee is splitting them up at different times. Just be careful because some people might report.

I wouldn’t be telling numbers! Not supposed to have over 25 outside including coaches, trainers, managers and players. Also weight rooms and locker rooms are closed. I am sure Dee is splitting them up at different times. Just be careful because some people might report.
You can have 200 players as long as they are split up..you think the first 25 that shows up is all that gets to play? Lol

You can have 200 players as long as they are split up..you think the first 25 that shows up is all that gets to play? Lol
Please read carefully I said that I am sure Dee has split the times up for the players! I am sure he wants to be with the kids. Don’t get all Bk up on here lol! Only 25 people can be on the field at a time is my point.

I agree that both Andrews and HAyesville will be talented this year and both can make deep runs with a touch of luck. But how many times in the past 40 years have much better teams lost at Swain because of coaching and the program. Sometimes that Maroon helmet wins close games.
This could very well be a year when the SMC has three teams in the A third round and one or more in the AA third round. Mitchell and Polk could be there as well.

I agree that both Andrews and HAyesville will be talented this year and both can make deep runs with a touch of luck. But how many times in the past 40 years have much better teams lost at Swain because of coaching and the program. Sometimes that Maroon helmet wins close games.
This could very well be a year when the SMC has three teams in the A third round and one or more in the AA third round. Mitchell and Polk could be there as well.
It will be interesting to see what kind of team Mitchell will have this year. It will probably come down to numbers , if Mitchell has any depth they could be decent. Mitchell aways has a good oline, just depends on how many athletes at the skill positions.
Hopefully not enough to beat Heritage .

Reactions: paul Graham 1A
Appears that Andrews has Mitchell on the schedule this season. I'm excited about getting to see our boys play a quality team like Mitchell outside of conference. It will definitely be a good measuring stick

I think Andrews fans will have a really good idea of what they’ve got after the first 5 games. Mitchell, Rabun Gap, Murphy and Swain in a row games 2-5 is a tough stretch.

Yes...normally works out 99% of the time.I like my odds.
Typically your odds are very good but yet there are still several instances of Swain finishing outside the top 3 over the last 30 years: '93, '98, '02, '08.

If they are going to finish outside the top 3 in the near future this certainly looks like the year for it. If there is a season (seems unlikely to me at this point) we will revisit this.

It will be interesting to see what kind of team Mitchell will have this year. It will probably come down to numbers , if Mitchell has any depth they could be decent. Mitchell aways has a good oline, just depends on how many athletes at the skill positions.
Hopefully not enough to beat Heritage .
Plenty of skills, o line will be down, I'd say look out for avery though

Yes...normally works out 99% of the time.I like my odds.

Agreed it's a very safe bet, but 99% is too high. There is nothing magical about the "big 3" and nothing cursed about the "have nots". The reason Andrews and Hayesville have historically struggled is the same reason that Murphy, Swain, and Robbinsville have been successful - culture and consistency. Andrews and Hayesville have very good coaches and are both rebuilding a program. They are establishing winning cultures. Number of coaches in the past 20 years:

Murphy - 1
Swain - 3
Robbinsville - 4
Hayesville - 6
Andrews - 7

Reactions: Gentle Knight
Agreed it's a very safe bet, but 99% is too high. There is nothing magical about the "big 3" and nothing cursed about the "have nots". The reason Andrews and Hayesville have historically struggled is the same reason that Murphy, Swain, and Robbinsville have been successful - culture and consistency. Andrews and Hayesville have very good coaches and are both rebuilding a program. They are establishing winning cultures. Number of coaches in the past 20 years:

Murphy - 1
Swain - 3
Robbinsville - 4
Hayesville - 6
Andrews - 7
Somewhat agree. However, there is something magical..
33 NC STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS between The Big 3.

Reactions: therealsquid
Somewhat agree. However, there is something magical..
33 NC STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS between The Big 3.

Lol still nothing magical. Still boils down to culture and consistency. If Murphy Swain and RVille started replacing coaches every year those ships would dry up overnight GUARANTEED

Reactions: CatDad312
Lol still nothing magical. Still boils down to culture and consistency. If Murphy Swain and RVille started replacing coaches every year those ships would dry up overnight GUARANTEED
I agree consistency with coaches helps tremendously. BUT for the record ,Robbinsville's State Championships came from 4 different coaches..and was a game away in 1999 and 2003 from winning 2 more championships with 2 other coaches(Bias and Farr)..that would have been 6 coaches..unreal

I agree consistency with coaches helps tremendously. BUT for the record ,Robbinsville's State Championships came from 4 different coaches..and was a game away in 1999 and 2003 from winning 2 more championships with 2 other coaches(Bias and Farr)..that would have been 6 coaches..unreal

That's where culture comes in. Robbinsville has an expectation to win and doesn't tolerate losing for very long.

That is impressive, no doubt

Colvin, Smallen, Dee - who is the fourth?

All those coaches who actually won a title coached at Robbinsville for at least five seasons - back to consistency. I've heard Farr is a great coach and he must have also inherited a great group. He was an assistant before too right? Before Phillips at Andrews, the last coach to be there more than 4 seasons was Robert Allen in the 90s. Hayesville hasn't had a coach for more than 3 seasons since Setzer.

The coach in the 60's won State but the name as skipped my mind? Patillo possibly? Farr is one of the top coaches in the entire state..Hes coached numerous NFL players including Alvin Kamara and won several championships while he was in Georgia. He brought new life to the Black Knights last year with several new wrinkles on both sides of the ball..Im just glad he's back on our sideline . .This time for good. He is our teams heart and soul.
He inherited the senior laden McCracken team his last stent with the Knights

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT