ADVERTISEMENT

The Big "2"?

BK13T-$

Jul 23, 2009
If Murphy/Andrews/HD combine I assume the new school will go to the mtn 6. If so the SMC will only have 5 schools. My question is do we then only have the Big 2 or does one of the other schools become stronger because of the change. I could see Hayesville having the best chance at becoming part of the Big 3. Hayesville has the most kids in the smc behind Swain and could pick up some kids that dont want to be a part of the new school. They might pick up a few from marble, Murphy and ranger. Hayesville would only have to beat Rosman and Cherokee to finish 3rd. Lol

Reactions: paul Graham 1A
I'm thinking we go with 2 only.

The smc will not be nearly as good thats the only thing Im sure of.

Another question...what happens to SMC-style JV football?

And do Murphy and Andrews keep separate youth league teams?

I know we all would hate this but I wouldn't be shocked to see the state establish a couple split conferences out in that area.

SMC style JV football will hurt a consolidated football program. Murphy loses talented kids in the transition from JV to varsity already because they know unless they are a stud or play a position of need that they arent going to play much, if any, as a 10th grader. Some come back out as 11th and 12th graders but they have lost out on some key development. A lack of playing time for 10th graders would be even more exacerbated with Andrews and HD kids involved. With a traditional JV program some of those kids who would've left football or not played again for a year or two will stay in the system and go on to become valuable contributors as upperclassmen.

Last edited:
Reactions: ObserveAndReport
SMC style JV football will hurt a consolidated football program. Murphy loses talented kids in the transition from JV to varsity already because they know unless they are a stud or play a position of need that they arent going to play much, if any, as a 10th grader. Some come back out as 11th and 12th graders but they have lost out on some key development. A lack of playing time for 10th graders would be even more exacerbated with Andrews and HD kids involved. With a traditional JV program some of those kids who would've left football or not played again for a year or two will stay in the system and go on to become valuable contributors as upperclassmen.

I don’t think the new high school will play 8th-9th JV, nor should they. More asking what impact people think that will have on the other SMC JV teams and the youth league.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT