ADVERTISEMENT

The 3A/3AA is LOADED!

Chris_Hughes

Staff
Feb 13, 2004
Ok, so I have been working on preseason rankings and I'm here to tell you that the 3A classification is LOADED! I have no doubt that when I put out preseason power rankings, there could be a lot of unhappy fans because they fell that their team should be Top-10 or Top-15, when in reality, the 3A is about 45-50 teams deep.

I think the general consensus is that Weddington is and will be the preseason #1. In fact, if I were ranking a true statewide / all-class power ranking, I think the Warriors would debut at #2 behind Vance.

Check out the quality of these 2020 frontrunners.

Team / 2019 Record:
Weddington (16-0)
Kings Mountain (12-3)
Charlotte Catholic (12-3)
Havelock (11-2)
Statesville (12-1)
Crest (10-3)
Lee County (15-1)
New Hanover (13-2)
Dudley (10-3)
Cleveland (12-2)
Southern Nash (15-1)
A.C. Reynolds (11-3)
Terry Sanford (10-4)
Mount Tabor (9-5)
A.L. Brown (8-4)
Southeast Guilford (9-4)
Hunter Huss (9-3)
Eastern Alamance (14-1)
D.H. Conley (9-4)
Western Alamance (9-4)
Southern Alamance (9-4)
Watauga (13-2)
Northside-Jax (7-6)
Jacksonville (7-4)
NW Cabarrus (12-2)
Cox Mill (7-5)
West Rowan (9-5)
Northeast Guilford (10-3)
Rocky Mount (9-4)
Southern Durham (10-2)
West Brunswick (10-2)
Gray's Creek (9-5)
Parkland (8-4)
Northern Nash (8-5)
Northern Guilford (8-5)
Northern Durham (9-3)
Vance County (9-3)
Central Cabarrus (7-5)
Freedom (7-5)
Alexander Central (8-4)
Marvin Ridge (6-6)
Parkwood (7-4)
SW Guilford (6-6)
J.H. Rose (6-6)
Monroe (6-6)
Clayton (6-6)
Forestview (6-6)
Union Pines (8-4)
West Henderson (9-3)
C.B. Aycock (7-5)
T.C. Roberson (5-7)
E.E. Smith (4-7)
Topsail (8-4)
North Buncombe (7-5)
Eastern Guilford (6-6)
Hickory (4-8)
Clyde Erwin (5-7)
Southern Lee (6-5)
Cuthbertson (5-7)
South Iredell (5-7)

I didn’t think I would see South Iredell on the list. But I did see the 2020 roster and they have the QB returning. Also a sophomore RB listed at 210 which I think he will make some noise. Probably one of the biggest lines I seen them have which will have some experience. I do see them improving and looking forward seeing them playing this year. Hopefully that is.

After the 20/30/30/20 split class 3AA/3A is the best classification in the state as far as talent and depth. There are no easy games come playoff time, round one where #1 seed plays #16 seed the #16 seed in 3AA/A has been a quality team the past several years

3A will get even stronger next year when South Point escapes from 2AA and gets back were they belong.
3a would be even stronger including shelby and burns. adm's dont tell the true story.

i personally believe they both will continue to roll through 2A. both should have won states last year as well. burns had an unlucky draw...

Man, I can’t wait until realignment. Hopefully, a good number of these teams make it back to 4A.

Don't know enough about the East at this time. For 3AA East. New Hannover , Dudley

3A East Havelock, Eastern Alamance, Jacksonville.

It will be Catholic 3A
Weddington 3AA In the West.

Without a doubt, Charlotte Catholic will be loaded, and they're in the extremely shortlist for winning it again, but don't sleep on Kings Mountain. Outside of Weddington, I think they are the best team in 3A. Havelock will also be a beast coming out of the east.

Catholic is losing 4 starting OL plus 3 TEs and possibly 1 RB. The kids filling these spots, are they better than what they had last year?

If you go back and look at Chris Hughes preseason ranking you will find out that Chris has been more accurate than just about any other site , or media outlet that I know of , It's like I tell my son when he tells me that Max Preps has Mountain Heritage ranked at so and so position in preseason 2a,I say wait till Chris comes out with his ranking , and then we will know where we stand , I don't know Chris personally , but for some of you folks that may not have visited Carolina Preps you will find out that Chris knows his Highschool football, he also goes to a game ever Friday night , he sees the teams play and to me that is more accurate than a computer.
Glad to see Chris Hughes back all of us fans owe a great debt to people like Chris and Dana for the hard work they put in to the greatest pure game the world has ever seen Highschool Football ..

Catholic is losing 4 starting OL plus 3 TEs and possibly 1 RB. The kids filling these spots, are they better than what they had last year?
Only RB CC loses is a guy who came over midseason, but also played a large amount of LB. He played a big role especially in the state title game, but the rising junior who will take his spot is more than capable of getting the job done.
Catholic will be very young next season, sophomore heavy, but extremely talented.

Kings Mountain returns I think 17 starters. They're gonna be very very tough. I think it could be them and CC again in the Western Regional Final.

3a would be even stronger including shelby and burns. adm's dont tell the true story.

i personally believe they both will continue to roll through 2A. both should have won states last year as well. burns had an unlucky draw...
Burns didn’t roll 2a they had an overtime
game I’m the playoffs

Ok, so I have been working on preseason rankings and I'm here to tell you that the 3A classification is LOADED! I have no doubt that when I put out preseason power rankings, there could be a lot of unhappy fans because they fell that their team should be Top-10 or Top-15, when in reality, the 3A is about 45-50 teams deep.

I think the general consensus is that Weddington is and will be the preseason #1. In fact, if I were ranking a true statewide / all-class power ranking, I think the Warriors would debut at #2 behind Vance.

Check out the quality of these 2020 frontrunners.

Team / 2019 Record:
Weddington (16-0)
Kings Mountain (12-3)
Charlotte Catholic (12-3)
Havelock (11-2)
Statesville (12-1)
Crest (10-3)
Lee County (15-1)
New Hanover (13-2)
Dudley (10-3)
Cleveland (12-2)
Southern Nash (15-1)
A.C. Reynolds (11-3)
Terry Sanford (10-4)
Mount Tabor (9-5)
A.L. Brown (8-4)
Southeast Guilford (9-4)
Hunter Huss (9-3)
Eastern Alamance (14-1)
D.H. Conley (9-4)
Western Alamance (9-4)
Southern Alamance (9-4)
Watauga (13-2)
Northside-Jax (7-6)
Jacksonville (7-4)
NW Cabarrus (12-2)
Cox Mill (7-5)
West Rowan (9-5)
Northeast Guilford (10-3)
Rocky Mount (9-4)
Southern Durham (10-2)
West Brunswick (10-2)
Gray's Creek (9-5)
Parkland (8-4)
Northern Nash (8-5)
Northern Guilford (8-5)
Northern Durham (9-3)
Vance County (9-3)
Central Cabarrus (7-5)
Freedom (7-5)
Alexander Central (8-4)
Marvin Ridge (6-6)
Parkwood (7-4)
SW Guilford (6-6)
J.H. Rose (6-6)
Monroe (6-6)
Clayton (6-6)
Forestview (6-6)
Union Pines (8-4)
West Henderson (9-3)
C.B. Aycock (7-5)
T.C. Roberson (5-7)
E.E. Smith (4-7)
Topsail (8-4)
North Buncombe (7-5)
Eastern Guilford (6-6)
Hickory (4-8)
Clyde Erwin (5-7)
Southern Lee (6-5)
Cuthbertson (5-7)
South Iredell (5-7)

I know this is a 2020 projection thread, but looking at this list makes me realize how special and dominant Weddington was this year. They have to rank up very high on the list of best 3A teams of all time.

Weddington beat 10 of the 60 teams listed above. Four of those teams won 12 games or more. The average score in these 10 games was 46-6. A running clock was initiated in 8 of these 10 games including 3 of the 4 teams with 12 wins or more.

Very impressive numbers against solid competition.

I know this is a 2020 projection thread, but looking at this list makes me realize how special and dominant Weddington was this year. They have to rank up very high on the list of best 3A teams of all time.

Weddington beat 10 of the 60 teams listed above. Four of those teams won 12 games or more. The average score in these 10 games was 46-6. A running clock was initiated in 8 of these 10 games including 3 of the 4 teams with 12 wins or more.

Very impressive numbers against solid competition.
tenor.gif

Reactions: Lawn12Dog
Here are some results from last year for Weddington. Probably your better games to see on the schedule.

Weddington 28 Audrey Kell 14
Weddington 33 Porter Ridge 19
Weddington 45 Catholic 0

Vance will be on the schedule for Sept. 11. That game will be definitely worth the watch. I think the Catholic game will be better this year than last. Time will tell how everything goes. This conference definitely has the good teams in it.

Here are some results from last year for Weddington. Probably your better games to see on the schedule.

Weddington 45 Catholic 0

Vance will be on the schedule for Sept. 11. That game will be definitely worth the watch. I think the Catholic game will be better this year than last. Time will tell how everything goes. This conference definitely has the good teams in it.
That conference that Weddington is in might be the best conference in the state no matter what classification.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86

Weddington 45 Catholic 0

Weddington is a absolutely awesome team year in and out. They have more enrollment than most 4A schools right?

Weddington is a absolutely awesome team year in and out. They have more enrollment than most 4A schools right?
Yes, if realignment was every year or two years Weddington, Marvin Ridge and Cuthbertson would be 4A. Marvin has 1800+, Cutty has 1900+ and Weddington has 1600+.

I haven’t thought about Weddington’s numbers but yeah with that many students it does make a difference. Maybe next realignment they will be moved up to 4A.

Amazing to me that Union County doesn't have more 4A teams than they do. As the western part of the county continues to boom, I expect all teams west of Monroe on 74 to eventually all be 4A.

Amazing to me that Union County doesn't have more 4A teams than they do. As the western part of the county continues to boom, I expect all teams west of Monroe on 74 to eventually all be 4A.
They would if it was the 25-25-25-25 model. Even if you keep the current model they'll have a total of 4 4A teams at next alignment. Porter Ridge, Weddington, Marvin Ridge and Cuthbertson. Sun Valley is at 1400 so I think they might stay 3A, but barely.

I guess I hadn’t paid attention. I knew Marvin Ridge was big but didn’t think about the others. It’s the best conference in 3A for sure. And yes, 3A/AA are loaded.

Don't know enough about the East at this time. For 3AA East. New Hannover , Dudley

3A East Havelock, Eastern Alamance, Jacksonville.
Havelock lost only 4 seniors who saw real playing time, and had a freshman qb... The East will come thru them if there is a season.

Yes, if realignment was every year or two years Weddington, Marvin Ridge and Cuthbertson would be 4A. Marvin has 1800+, Cutty has 1900+ and Weddington has 1600+.
It was that long ago when Weddington was classified as a 3A playoff school. However, with all the growth that has happened in southern and western Union County, it is inevitable that Weddington, Cuthbertson, and Marvin Ridge will be 4A when the realignment occurs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT