ADVERTISEMENT

Tarboro?

Magnum45

Aug 14, 2018
Having some debate on the 1A if Tarboro is the best 1A team ever. They are nasty this year. Some of the regulars over there think they could beat Havelock, Catholic, Hibriten etc. I think it's bs but why not liven up boards. What you think? It's all irrelevant but fun debate

As Mike Tyson said you always have a plan until you get hit in the mouth. They should “Think” they can beat the big boys. They have been winning for a long time and they are 1A for a reason. I seriously don’t think they can beat any of the top tier teams in 3A or 4A they may give the 2A team a good game but from what I have seen from Hibriten That May be a good game. They may be in the same caliber as Shelby use to be they were very capable of beating some good 4A teams. Anything is possible only one way to find out get on the schedule. I don’t think HHS would we are already going out of state to make the scheduled harder because unfortunately our conference schedule doesn’t have the talent as it use to have.

They were a pretty dominant 2A program until they recently dropped to 1A, and the school wasn't too much bigger then, so it wouldn't be a stretch to say they would challenge elite 2A schools. As for 3A, they destroyed the only 3A team they've played, but Northern Nash isn't great, so hard to gauge them against that level.

They were a pretty dominant 2A program until they recently dropped to 1A, and the school wasn't too much bigger then, so it wouldn't be a stretch to say they would challenge elite 2A schools. As for 3A, they destroyed the only 3A team they've played, but Northern Nash isn't great, so hard to gauge them against that level.

When the play a really good 3A school and win then we can have this conversation when they where 2A they didn’t play any elite 3A or 4A schools durning that time unlike Shelby with the Crest Battles. I am not sure if those two programs met in any Title games I have to check I don’t follow 2A or 1A

Yes NN sucks rocks they don’t count

Did some research they were state champs from 2009 -2011 in 2A one in 1AA last year they have had the same schedule for years the only common team was Washington and Jacksonville Northside... as they use to say be careful what you ask for your might just get it and not like the out come. I don’t think they want to mess with any of the bigger teams. This conversation is put to rest.

Tarboro use to be 3A from the 70's to the early 90s. Tarboro won the 1984 3A State Championship at Kannapolis by a score of 20-0. Tarboro defense held Kannapolis offense to no first downs and a total of 32 yards of offense in the entire game Probably. one of the worse losses ever at Kannapolis.

This just in......Tarboro is good. I was impressed by the size of their kids. Some of the backs are as big as linemen at other 1A schools.

You misunderstand. Greatest of all time means relative to your own time period dominance. Of course modern athletes would beat athletes from 20-30 years ago if we had a time machine. But Robbinsville was waaaaaaay more dominant than Tarboro has been over a longer period of time. So they have multiple teams that were just as good as a Tarboro team that hasn't even won a title yet lol.

Definitely not as dominant as Tville and Albemarle...

Last edited:
They are 1A I stand by my point they will not beat most top tier 3A schools and don’t know how you determine that 2A was better than 3A

Last year I believe 2a was. 3a is definitely better this year. 3a is overall better than 4a this year. But the top 5 in 4a is legit

You misunderstand. Greatest of all time means relative to your own period dominance. Of course modern athletes would beat athletes from 20-30 years ago if we had a time machine. But Robbinsville was waaaaaaay more dominant than Tarboro has been over a longer period of time. So they have multiple teams that were just as good as a Tarboro team that hasn't even won a title yet lol.

Definitely not as dominant as Tville and Albemarle...

BlackKnightNut.....You better do some research before you put foot in your mouth. Tarboro has won State Title in 3A, 2A and 1A in past 35 years or so. Robbinsville only won 1A title. In past 10 years, Tarboro has won more titles than Robbinsville!

Tarboro won state title last year and they won 2A state championship three years in a row and been to five straight 2A finals (2008-2012) They had Todd Gurley for those two titles in that same time span I believe. By the way, Todd Gurley is in NFL. Robbinsville in past 10 years send anyone to NFL???? Tarboro got two in NFL now I think. I believe that Tarboro will be in same elite level as T'ville and Albemarle.

Reactions: DaBluePrint1
Last year I believe 2a was. 3a is definitely better this year. 3a is overall better than 4a this year. But the top 5 in 4a is legit

I would give it a push em with the 3A -4A some of the top teir 3-A teams would give the top 4A teams a run for there money Amd we are only talking a few of them Mallard Creek Butler, Wake Forest Richmond and a few others. Some of the smaller 4A schools are 3A now which is a crock of s$&t and according to the all mighty Max Prep State rankings (lol) which changes with the wind which I don’t pay any attention too there aren’t any 3A teams in the top 5.

The Simmons power rankings are somewhat more accurate. Tarboro is a really good team that has been coming on strong over the last few years. I would love to see them play top teir 2A and 3A teams in the future to push them to elite in the state to some degree like Shelby has for sometime. For a period they were good enough to beat some pretty good 4A teams and that is saying a lot from me because the Western teams forget there are teams in the east. Great conversation though

If Tarboro were in the South Fork 2A conference they would beat every team by at least three touchdowns Id be willing to bet. If they were small 2A and in the West I think they would beat Reidsville this season. I don't care how small you are, if you got the athletes and the numbers you're going to be able to compete. For them to be 1AA they have the numbers and quality athletes to compete with anyone in 2A and 2AA.

Reactions: downlo
BlackKnightNut.....You better do some research before you put foot in your mouth. Tarboro has won State Title in 3A, 2A and 1A in past 35 years or so. Robbinsville only won 1A title. In past 10 years, Tarboro has won more titles than Robbinsville!

Tarboro won state title last year and they won 2A state championship three years in a row and been to five straight 2A finals (2008-2012) They had Todd Gurley for those two titles in that same time span I believe. By the way, Todd Gurley is in NFL. Robbinsville in past 10 years send anyone to NFL???? Tarboro got two in NFL now I think. I believe that Tarboro will be in same elite level as T'ville and Albemarle.

You gave absolutely no info I didn't already know. A state title is a state title, no matter the level. NFL is irrelevant to hs football, by the way. I've seen stacked teams like LB Poly lose to regular high school kids.

I was referring to beating opponents year after year for a stretch of dominance. Albemarle and Tville won many many state titles in a row while competing with each other. Without that one of them wins five six or seven in a row. Tville also won a WNCHSAA title in 64 as a 3A school and that team is considered one of the greatest in nc history, and many other titles at the 2A and 1A level. Not that I care about level, just trying to go on your perspective.

Robbinsville, during their dominant stretch, went over a decade with basically nobody competing with them. They also beat 2a and 3a champs while winning 1a. Level doesn't matter, winning titles does.

You don't understand my perspective. So get that foot in your mouth talk out of here lol.

Last edited:
If Tarboro were in the South Fork 2A conference they would beat every team by at least three touchdowns Id be willing to bet. If they were small 2A and in the West I think they would beat Reidsville this season. I don't care how small you are, if you got the athletes and the numbers you're going to be able to compete. For them to be 1AA they have the numbers and quality athletes to compete with anyone in 2A and 2AA.

I don’t disagree they would definitely beat most of not all of that top tier 2A teams and win the div I do think they would have a hard time with Hibriten they are very good. I was saying they need to start playing top tier teams like Havelock has been doing since 09 and beating them and even scheduled some out of state top teams to play. That is how you separate yourself from the other schools in your Div

I don’t disagree they would definitely beat most of not all of that top tier 2A teams and win the div I do think they would have a hard time with Hibriten they are very good. I was saying they need to start playing top tier teams like Havelock has been doing since 09 and beating them and even scheduled some out of state top teams to play. That is how you separate yourself from the other schools in your Div
I agree. I would love to see Tarboro go play Havelock, Northeastern, or even come west and schedule a game with Shelby or someone.

I agree. I would love to see Tarboro go play Havelock, Northeastern, or even come west and schedule a game with Shelby or someone.

Tarboro would be a good game for sure who knows it may happen down the line. Western games are hard from the far eastern part of the state it is pretty much a 6 hour ride. 3 hours is pushing it for most teams coming from that far. And most fans will not take that trip for a regular game. It is all
About the $$$ and I am sure if HHS would take a trip that far it would stop in Greensboro or Raliegh to play one of the top teams in that area. Going to Wilmington was a hike but your right a two year deal would be fun.

I was referring to beating opponents year after year for a stretch of dominance. Albemarle and Tville won many many state titles in a row while competing with each other. Without that one of them wins five six or seven in a row. Tville also won a WNCHSAA title in 64 as a 3A school and that team is considered one of the greatest in nc history, and many other titles at the 2A and 1A level. Not that I care about level, just trying to go on your perspective.

Thomasville is one of the blue blood programs of NC football! Thomasville's 1964 team lost to Asheboro by two TDs. Hard to put them in the all time conversation.

Albemarle won two WNCHSAA titles. The 1957 team produced a group of men that would be one of the most impressive from any one high school team that I know of. Albemarle's long losing period from early 1960's until the late 1980's and again the last five years dooms the program as an all time elite program.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
True. Asheboro was also a serious player back in those days and the Tville vs Asheboro game was a big rivalry, according to those I've spoken to. I do know that team was part of the Notable Ninety, which was put together by one of the state newspapers reviewing a century of NC football. ITJ can probably help out.

Edit: nevermind, I got it.

http://www.thomasvillebulldogsfootball.com/notable_ninety_football

Last edited:
Thomasville is one of the blue blood programs of NC football! Thomasville's 1964 team lost to Asheboro by two TDs. Hard to put them in the all time conversation.

Albemarle won two WNCHSAA titles. The 1957 team produced a group of men that would be one of the most impressive from any one high school team that I know of. Albemarle's long losing period from early 1960's until the late 1980's and again the last five years dooms the program as an all time elite program.

Again. I am referring to stretches of dominance. Not just blue blood programs. Albemarle had a brief stretch but was insanely good during it. Tville has been much more consistent over the long haul. With absolutely ridiculous periods of dominance at certain points, most notably in 1A but also great in 2A.

Again. I am referring to stretches of dominance. Not just blue blood programs. Albemarle had a brief stretch but was insanely good during it. Tville has been much more consistent over the long haul. With absolutely ridiculous periods of dominance at certain points, most notably in 1A but also great in 2A.

Didn’t Thomasville win state championship in 2A playing up from 1A?

Franklin won state title in 2a in the 70s.
Robbinsville won the 1a title that same year.
Robbinsville won the regular season match up vs Franklin big. Something like 46-07.

Tar
Tarboro and Havelock used to meet in the playoffs almost every year in the late 80's and early 90's. They had some knock down drag out battles, some pack jammed stadiums when they met, then Tarboro started dropping in classification and the battles ended. Remember the games like they were yesterday.

Tar

Tarboro and Havelock used to meet in the playoffs almost every year in the late 80's and early 90's. They had some knock down drag out battles, some pack jammed stadiums when they met, then Tarboro started dropping in classification and the battles ended. Remember the games like they were yesterday.

I remember Farmville Bertie, and Ahoskie White Oak and West Craven was doing work for a part of the 80’s. I remember those cold
Playoff games we had some knock down drag out with them as well. Conf has been crap over the last 10 years or so two horse race for the most part

When the play a really good 3A school and win then we can have this conversation when they where 2A they didn’t play any elite 3A or 4A schools durning that time unlike Shelby with the Crest Battles. I am not sure if those two programs met in any Title games I have to check I don’t follow 2A or 1A

Yes NN sucks rocks they don’t count

Shelby beat them by alot in a title game about 2 decades ago

Thomasville first year in 1a was 1997 they finished the season at 12-1,losing in the second round to Rosman 14-7,people forget how great that tville defense was,those 14 points they gave up to rosman were the most points they given up on defense all year

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT