ADVERTISEMENT

Tarboro vs Hertford County

Up 35-0 and haven't played our best either.
And next week will be even worse against NE. Being a Tarboro fan is nice with all the winning and state titles. But it in a way it can't be much fun with all the running clock boring blowouts. It would be nice if they could get NE and HC off the schedule and replace them with Rose, Conley, Northeastern HS or Southern Nash. It is good to see them playing Havelock this season and that should be a helluva game. And nothing you can do about conference games. Those are locked in and even if most all of them are mind numbing blowouts, they have to be played. Of course, I also fault these teams that Tarboro humiliates for not getting better and letting their football programs just rot on the vine.

And next week will be even worse against NE. Being a Tarboro fan is nice with all the winning and state titles. But it in a way it can't be much fun with all the running clock boring blowouts. It would be nice if they could get NE and HC off the schedule and replace them with Rose, Conley, Northeastern HS or Southern Nash. It is good to see them playing Havelock this season and that should be a helluva game. And nothing you can do about conference games. Those are locked in and even if most all of them are mind numbing blowouts, they have to be played. Of course, I also fault these teams that Tarboro humiliates for not getting better and letting their football programs just rot on the vine.
In Tarboros defense - when they put Rocky Mount and Hertford County on the schedule. Both programs were alot better than they are now

In Tarboros defense - when they put Rocky Mount and Hertford County on the schedule. Both programs were alot better than they are now
I'll also add that when the series between Tarboro and Northern Nash Ended, they were in a bit of a down period as well. I don't think anybody around here knew that Northern Nash would be playing for a State title just a few years later.

Well, I can see keeping RM on the schedule as that is a rivalry that goes back forever and they are a 3A school. There is a lot of talent in RM so it makes no sense that they are as bad as they are now and can't be more competitive. But Tarboro should drop NE and HC and replace them with more competitive schools. That would only benefit Tarboro come playoff time. Beating the likes of NE 60+ to zero with a running clock is of benefit to no one. And I can't imagine the gate for a game like that is very good.

They aren't struggling come playoff time....
What I was saying is that getting NE and HC off the schedule and playing more competitive teams would make Tarboro even better come playoff time. I know their early round games are usually blowouts and they are not struggling for those games. But they get a bit more tested come the quarters, semis and state title game. Those games are not always blowouts and they have lost in the title game to Mount Airy the last two seasons. And scored only 10 points in those two games combined.

Every team team gets a bit more tested deeper into the playoffs. That's just how the playoffs work.
What I was saying is that getting NE and HC off the schedule and playing more competitive teams would make Tarboro even better come playoff time. I know their early round games are usually blowouts and they are not struggling for those games. But they get a bit more tested come the quarters, semis and state title game. Those games are not always blowouts and they have lost in the title game to Mount Airy the last two seasons. And scored only 10 points in those two games combined.

My dad and Allen Jay played Ahoskie for the Eastern state title in 1970. Murphy won the west. Ahoskie consolidated and integrated that year, giving them 1200 students in 2A ball. Allen Jay had 300 to 400 kids but no 1A schools in the area so they played up and went all the way to the finals but lost to Ahoskie 28-12. Dad was injured on the opening kickoff. Played middle linebacker in a 5-3, played left guard in an old school wing t, and snapped for punts and played kickoffs and kick returns. Got clipped at the knees and went out opening kick. Also played in the North South game at Greenville that year. Only had 23 guys on the team, so the fact they got past Elizabethtown who was ranked no. 2 in 2A in the semis and got to the finals was crazy.

Ahoskie lost to Havelock early and Tarboro near the end of regular season. They upset number 1 Jordan Matthews who was killing everyone and only allowing 2 ppg on defense. Ahoskie won 14-12 and then beat AJ to claim the title. They moved up to 3A the next year.

Allen Jay consolidated into Southwest and Southern Guilford in 1979 and was the last gasp of community schools around here.

Last edited:
Every team team gets a bit more tested deeper into the playoffs. That's just how the playoffs work.
Yes, I realize that. My whole point is that if a team gets tested and punched in the mouth a few times early in the season, they are more ready to face some adversity and bounce back from being down come playoff time. If I was a head coach, I wouldn't want the first time my team felt being in a close game and some tough competition being in the third/fourth round of the playoffs. I would want them to feel that in August and September.

Yes, I realize that. My whole point is that if a team gets tested and punched in the mouth a few times early in the season, they are more ready to face some adversity and bounce back from being down come playoff time. If I was a head coach, I wouldn't want the first time my team felt being in a close game and some tough competition being in the third/fourth round of the playoffs. I would want them to feel that in August and September.
Tarboro will get punched some in a couple weeks against Southwest and Havelock.

Tarboro will get punched some in a couple weeks against Southwest and Havelock.
@TarVikes I consider you to be a digital friend, not to mention one of the straightest shooters on here…
Punched some?
Really?
Cmon man 🙄🙄

It’s Labor Day. Old guy didn’t have to work so he’s reading up a little 😂

@TarVikes I consider you to be a digital friend, not to mention one of the straightest shooters on here…
Punched some?
Really?
Cmon man 🙄🙄

Haha havelock is one of the best 3A teams in the entire state and Southwest is one of the top 2A East teams this year.

Reactions: thekidd12
We had Southern Nash, Northern Nash, RR, Washington etc a few years ago but they all removed THS off of their schedules but I understand what you’re saying.

Punched some?
Really?
Cmon man 🙄🙄

Tarboro will definitely get punched some during that two game stretch against Southwest and Havelock. Hopefully they don't turn out like Rocky did in his first fight with Clubber lang in Rocky 3

Punched some?
Really?
Cmon man 🙄🙄

Those two games will be Tarboro's toughest all season. I'm expecting them to come out 1-1, but 0-2 is very plausible. If they come out 2-0, I wouldn't be able to see how Mt. Airy or anyone else would be able to stop them.

Those two games will be Tarboro's toughest all season. I'm expecting them to come out 1-1, but 0-2 is very plausible. If they come out 2-0, I wouldn't be able to see how Mt. Airy or anyone else would be able to stop them.
Just giving the young men a hard time. I know both of those teams are very good and it’s hard to get teams down thataway to play them because of Tarboro’s success. ER hasn’t had the pleasure ever I don’t believe and not sure it will happen before realignment. All their fans, ok 99.5% appear to be level headed, realistic supporters.
Us ER guys, on the other hand, are the reason for the word FANATIC!!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: sbbbfan and SWE'98
Your points are valid, but you also don't want to make your schedule so tough that you end up with a couple of L's. Tarboro has benefited greatly from being the #1 seed and having the easiest path and home field advantage. Putting super tough games on the schedule and collecting losses would affect their playoff seed, giving them tougher games early in the playoffs. It's a delicate situation and just depends on what's more important to the program. High playoff seed and home field, or preparation vs tougher early season opponents? I don't see a problem with them playing HC. They aren't a bad program. And also, a lot of teams just won't play them. But I understand your points.

Reactions: fitguync30
Your points are valid, but you also don't want to make your schedule so tough that you end up with a couple of L's. Tarboro has benefited greatly from being the #1 seed and having the easiest path and home field advantage. Putting super tough games on the schedule and collecting losses would affect their playoff seed, giving them tougher games early in the playoffs. It's a delicate situation and just depends on what's more important to the program. High playoff seed and home field, or preparation vs tougher early season opponents? I don't see a problem with them playing HC. They aren't a bad program. And also, a lot of teams just won't play them. But I understand your points.
If Tarboro just so happens to have two L’s, I still believe they’ll have the #1 seed in the east

We had Southern Nash, Northern Nash, RR, Washington etc a few years ago but they all removed THS off of their schedules but I understand what you’re saying.
That is too bad. Not sure why they would do that unless they did not like losing to a 1A program. But there is no shame for a 3A or even 4A team to lose to a power like Tarboro. At least I don't think so. And I think maybe Central and Northern Nash started to get good only recently? Before that, I seem to recall neither of those programs being all that great.

Yes, I see what you are saying and it is also not ideal to load up on powerhouses early and to be 0-4 entering conference play with some possible injuries due to playing 3A/4A teams with a lot more depth and few guys that have to play both ways. And I give credit to Tarboro and Havelock for getting that game on the schedule. It should be a really good one. As should the Tarboro and SWE game. It is also a shame what has become of North Edgecombe after all their success some year back. I guess they do OK in their conference games. But against SWE and Tarboro it sure gets ugly.

Tbh even if Tarboro had to go on the road the last couple years I still believe they would have won those games. Especially from 2017 through spring 2021 season. The last three seasons had Tarboro gone on the road the games MIGHT have been a little closer. I see your point though. I honestly do feel like a lot of teams in our area don't wanna play Tarboro simply because it's to big a risk. If they win over Tarboro it's well y'all should they 1a. But if they lose them it's how y'all lose to a 1a lol. I'm glad we managed to get Havelock though it'll definitely be a test for the Vikings win or lose.

Reactions: fitguync30
Tbh even if Tarboro had to go on the road the last couple years I still believe they would have won those games. Especially from 2017 through spring 2021 season. The last three seasons had Tarboro gone on the road the games MIGHT have been a little closer. I see your point though. I honestly do feel like a lot of teams in our area don't wanna play Tarboro simply because it's to big a risk. If they win over Tarboro it's well y'all should they 1a. But if they lose them it's how y'all lose to a 1a lol. I'm glad we managed to get Havelock though it'll definitely be a test for the Vikings win or lose.
You are probably right regarding the attitude of larger schools. But at least in my opinion, there is no shame losing to the Vikings. This is a school with state titles and a lot of tradition. If I were a Rose, Northeastern or Conley fan, I would not be ashamed at losing to Tarboro. This last weekend 2A Reidsville whipped up on 4A Greensboro Page at Page. No shame in that. Reidsville is a machine and props to both schools for scheduling this game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT