ADVERTISEMENT

Tarboro and Zebras

HowerinJr

Jan 9, 2010
I am a graduate of Tarboro, so watching the Vikings on Friday night is the prism for this observation. I don't know if this is common for every fan base, but I am so tired of our fans screaming at referees! We usually get called for more penalties than our opponents. Why that is the case seems to be a great debate in the stands. Even leading by 40+ with a running clock, these people are still running their mouths, accusing referees of "trying to help them score" or other such nonsense. Tarboro wins because their talent and scheme is good enough to overcome their lack of discipline at times. Tarboro was a very disciplined football team in the 80's under Jim Brett. I know times have changed and Jeff Craddock is a much different coach. But dropping down from 3A to 2A and eventually 1A has made getting the little things right seem less important. When you spend most of the season blowing teams out, that lack of discipline doesn't hurt you. When you are in a dogfight with a Duplin County powerhouse in the playoffs however, those cracks get exposed.

So back to my original thought. Perhaps it's not that the officials have it out for you every week. It might be the refs are doing their job and you just don't want to see what's right there in front of your face. We see the same thing week after week. It seems that eventually the only conclusion is...maybe it's US?

I am certain most teams have several seasoned professional referees sitting in the stands on Friday nights. Lol

It is a fool who looks for logical unbiased opinions amongst a group of football fans on a Friday night.

There is no doubt that Tarboro hurts themselves when players lack the discipline to keep their mouth shut and play ball. How many personal fouls has the team been hit with due to this?

And we wonder why there is such a shortage of high school officials across all sports. People think they can say whatever they want when they pay their $5. God forbid someone take a knee during the anthem but by gosh I paid my $5, I can cuss out the ref if I want.

I am a graduate of Tarboro, so watching the Vikings on Friday night is the prism for this observation. I don't know if this is common for every fan base, but I am so tired of our fans screaming at referees! We usually get called for more penalties than our opponents. Why that is the case seems to be a great debate in the stands. Even leading by 40+ with a running clock, these people are still running their mouths, accusing referees of "trying to help them score" or other such nonsense. Tarboro wins because their talent and scheme is good enough to overcome their lack of discipline at times. Tarboro was a very disciplined football team in the 80's under Jim Brett. I know times have changed and Jeff Craddock is a much different coach. But dropping down from 3A to 2A and eventually 1A has made getting the little things right seem less important. When you spend most of the season blowing teams out, that lack of discipline doesn't hurt you. When you are in a dogfight with a Duplin County powerhouse in the playoffs however, those cracks get exposed.

So back to my original thought. Perhaps it's not that the officials have it out for you every week. It might be the refs are doing their job and you just don't want to see what's right there in front of your face. We see the same thing week after week. It seems that eventually the only conclusion is...maybe it's US?
You said it perfect..

Reactions: curtiscummings1
Forgive me for pulling this thread out of the shred bin, but I want to give a bit of an update. The Vikings have been a much more disciplined team this year than last. Gone are the days that Craddock has to burn a couple of time outs per game because the right personnel didn't get on the field. Fewer personal foul calls, fewer illegal procedures, just a generally more focused team. There is a pretty large senior class this year and they seem to be playing with that kind of maturity. With fewer penalties, there has been a lot less hostility from the fans aimed at the officials. I'm not saying its gone. Last week's officials had some very bad spots and our crowd hammered them on it. Overall though, the games have been a lot cleaner and the refs have for a large part faded into the woodwork.

At the end of the day, you have to compliment Coach Craddock for making this a point of emphasis this season. The kids deserve the credit for taking the coaching and staying focused during the game. This year's team has been even more dominant than last year's and I believe part of that is directly attributed to their willingness to get out of their own way.

Agreed. The Vikings can be very businesslike when the occasion calls for it. I am constantly amazed at the level of care and dedication this coaching staff displays. I expect they are building more than just a championship team. They are preparing these young men for life. I hope these lessons stick with them.

Reactions: 1SWO1
I am sorry but speak for yourself KWCorona...... Are you drunk ? The refs have been absolutely horrible against Tarboro..... The real fans know this and anyone who has 2 good eyes..... 5 downs ?!? calling back touchdowns whenever they feel like it .... are you kidding me ??? PLEASE bring glasses when you come Fri Night.... Stop acting as if you speak for everyone........ We were completely screwed out of at least 21 points friday night...... it does not matter the score. CALL THE GAME HOW IT SHOULD BE CALLED.

You are the same guy who said N. Stanly did not play dirty.... LOL it is ok to tell the truth.. Those players were dirty and they received the butt whooping they deserved.

GET SOME GLASSES !!

I am sorry but speak for yourself KWCorona...... Are you drunk ? The refs have been absolutely horrible against Tarboro..... The real fans know this and anyone who has 2 good eyes..... 5 downs ?!? calling back touchdowns whenever they feel like it .... are you kidding me ??? PLEASE bring glasses when you come Fri Night.... Stop acting as if you speak for everyone........ We were completely screwed out of at least 21 points friday night...... it does not matter the score. CALL THE GAME HOW IT SHOULD BE CALLED.

You are the same guy who said N. Stanly did not play dirty.... LOL it is ok to tell the truth.. Those players were dirty and they received the butt whooping they deserved.

GET SOME GLASSES !!
My adoring fans are out in force tonight.

No just for some reason ever since you had your weight loss surgery you think you are the shit !! NEWS FLASH: You are not LOL !! You are fake as they come in most aspects of your life.
If there is something I have done to you that you feel its worth doing this in such a public way, then I am truly sorry. I have no quarrel with you or anyone. I've never claimed to be anything special. And I'm not sure what it means to be fake in this case. I graduated from THS and I have been going to Viking games for close to 40 years. My love for this school and this team began with a conference winning road game in Ahoskie when I was 10. I'm sure all Tarboro fans have similar favorite moments they look back on as high points in their fandom.
My father has told me on several occasions that perhaps I shouldn't be posting online. Why make a spectacle of yourself? I never listened to him. I guess I thought why would anyone think less of me for being a fan and wanting to talk about my favorite team? Well, Daddy, as usual your words are wise. I really don't need this and frankly life on this board will go on just fine without me.

Geez that took a turn for the worse. Never understood the hate, when you root for the same damn team.

Reactions: TarVikes
If there is something I have done to you that you feel its worth doing this in such a public way, then I am truly sorry. I have no quarrel with you or anyone. I've never claimed to be anything special. And I'm not sure what it means to be fake in this case. I graduated from THS and I have been going to Viking games for close to 40 years. My love for this school and this team began with a conference winning road game in Ahoskie when I was 10. I'm sure all Tarboro fans have similar favorite moments they look back on as high points in their fandom.
My father has told me on several occasions that perhaps I shouldn't be posting online. Why make a spectacle of yourself? I never listened to him. I guess I thought why would anyone think less of me for being a fan and wanting to talk about my favorite team? Well, Daddy, as usual your words are wise. I really don't need this and frankly life on this board will go on just fine without me.
KW, I don’t know you or anyone else from Tarboro. But I’ve always found your posts to be intelligent, thoughtful and well stated. I’ve never understood the need for people to turn into attack dogs on a sports forum. It’s one thing to vigorously stand up for your team. It’s quite another to personally attack people, most of whom you don’t know. We seem to have turned everything in our society into a I win/you lose contest, in which only people who believe exactly as I do are worthy of living in my world.
Don’t let it run you away from here. This forum is better for posters like you.

Being a coach across the field from them this year was quite an experience. They were one of the most disciplined, well coached teams, I have ever seen. Much respect goes out to coach Craddock, his staff, and players for their hospitality. They are definitely a class act program. Good Luck to them tonight and next week.

South Stanly

Being a coach across the field from them this year was quite an experience. They were one of the most disciplined, well coached teams, I have ever seen. Much respect goes out to coach Craddock, his staff, and players for their hospitality. They are definitely a class act program. Good Luck to them tonight and next week.

South Stanly

Thanks for those comments Coach Fox. I am curious about what North Stanly thought of Tarboro. Have you had any conversation with their coaching staff? We have not heard much out of them (fans and such) on this board. They came into Tarboro with a lot of energy and made for a very entertaining game. Their fans traveled well so they had plenty of support. Just wondering what they thought of the Tarboro T.

KW, I don’t know you or anyone else from Tarboro. But I’ve always found your posts to be intelligent, thoughtful and well stated. I’ve never understood the need for people to turn into attack dogs on a sports forum. It’s one thing to vigorously stand up for your team. It’s quite another to personally attack people, most of whom you don’t know. We seem to have turned everything in our society into a I win/you lose contest, in which only people who believe exactly as I do are worthy of living in my world.
Don’t let it run you away from here. This forum is better for posters like you.
Couldn’t agree more. I always like seeing what KWC has to say.

Thanks for those comments Coach Fox. I am curious about what North Stanly thought of Tarboro. Have you had any conversation with their coaching staff? We have not heard much out of them (fans and such) on this board. They came into Tarboro with a lot of energy and made for a very entertaining game. Their fans traveled well so they had plenty of support. Just wondering what they thought of the Tarboro T.

Have not talked to them. I honestly felt no assistance, not like Tarboro needed any against us, from the Refs. I was very impressed with the overall experience against the Vikings. Class act program

Your dad taught you to be a quitter.

So go ahead and quit.

Quitter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT