ADVERTISEMENT

SWO and neighboring teams

SWO-#1

Aug 28, 2002
Nobody likes a loss..... but it happens. This year (spring season) they hurt more than a full schedule. Looks like two loses and you are out of the playoffs. So with that things dont look good for my stallions. Other teams in the same boat or worse, East Duplin, Northside Jax, Northeastern, with two loses each to start its probably over for them.

Bright spots .... Clinton with another strong showing looks to be a shoe in. Also James Kenan looking good so far.

With a bye week for the Stallions seemingly coming this week, dont know if its a good thing or bad. Hope they can schedule a last minute foe.

The sun is coming up here in Missouri and have lots of projects to get on. Having the barn roof redone. My Nephew does that work and he will be here this morning to check it out and give me an estimate. Have a lot of dirt work to do. Also got the garden spot ready to go for the season. Hauled in a load of top soil and redid the whole thing. Looking forward to the annual two week fishing trip for the Crappie spawn. Not a good year in 2020 and I'm out of fillets. Hope to get back to my Rimfire Benchrest matches. Again last year a lot were cancelled and I didnt go to those that were scheduled. Looks like the outdoor schedule is filling up for Missouri, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska ranges. Some still with reduced open spots.

Every one lick your wounds or savor the wins and hopefully SWO will join ya'll this Friday with game #3. If not I will probably get a lot done around the place in the off week.

And by the way the lives stream of SWO was TERRIBLE. The game was over 5 minutes into it and it hadnt even started yet. Same thing happened in the Championship games last fall . So its back to the audio broadcast with Billy and Melvin. Dont think it my setup as I have no problem with any other live streams or videos.

Looking dim for swo playoffs Hope's. Only top seed in conference will advance.

Nobody likes a loss..... but it happens. This year (spring season) they hurt more than a full schedule. Looks like two loses and you are out of the playoffs. So with that things dont look good for my stallions. Other teams in the same boat or worse, East Duplin, Northside Jax, Northeastern, with two loses each to start its probably over for them.

Bright spots .... Clinton with another strong showing looks to be a shoe in. Also James Kenan looking good so far.

With a bye week for the Stallions seemingly coming this week, dont know if its a good thing or bad. Hope they can schedule a last minute foe.

The sun is coming up here in Missouri and have lots of projects to get on. Having the barn roof redone. My Nephew does that work and he will be here this morning to check it out and give me an estimate. Have a lot of dirt work to do. Also got the garden spot ready to go for the season. Hauled in a load of top soil and redid the whole thing. Looking forward to the annual two week fishing trip for the Crappie spawn. Not a good year in 2020 and I'm out of fillets. Hope to get back to my Rimfire Benchrest matches. Again last year a lot were cancelled and I didnt go to those that were scheduled. Looks like the outdoor schedule is filling up for Missouri, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska ranges. Some still with reduced open spots.

Every one lick your wounds or savor the wins and hopefully SWO will join ya'll this Friday with game #3. If not I will probably get a lot done around the place in the off week.

And by the way the lives stream of SWO was TERRIBLE. The game was over 5 minutes into it and it hadnt even started yet. Same thing happened in the Championship games last fall . So its back to the audio broadcast with Billy and Melvin. Dont think it my setup as I have no problem with any other live streams or videos.
Post makes no sense regarding the playoff spots. The ECC gets two automatic spots and conference play starts next week. Dont know where some on here are getting that there are only 8 spots? Maybe I am overlooking something.

Clinton and JK are both 2-0 but have both beat teams that have yet to win a game. Anson lost to Goldsboro, JK gave up 24 points to Eastern Wayne and 50!! to White Oak. If either Clinton or JK played Havelock, they would both be 1-1.

Point is, there are mis conceptions about the playoff process this spring from some posters and also it is far too early to be counting anyone out.

Midway 2-0 also. Tough guys in spiveys corner. Not usually a ton of athletes but a gritty bunch. With JK, Clinton, Goldsboro, and Midway all 2-0, conference starts this week it should be fun. Clinton at Goldsboro.

Reactions: UNC91
Is Croatan still spread team? Or have they adjusted personnel to fit their players?

They ran a lot of 3 backs and mostly up the middle with a few sweeps. Only threw a few passes. A big fast back who we couldnt stop.

What happened!!!! I don't live in the area anymore so all I get is message boards and jdnews.com to keep up, but how and why did we lose to Croatan. Am i missing something.

What happened!!!! I don't live in the area anymore so all I get is message boards and jdnews.com to keep up, but how and why did we lose to Croatan. Am i missing something.

Plain and Simple : Croatan now has a power running game and we dont. Their Defense is stout against the run, up the middle and off tackles for sure ... and were not. Bottom line they were much better than us. Our QB Moore was the leading rusher with 86 yards and threw for 100. A one man team Last Friday night.

Swo isnt the swo of old ha. Dont have enough athletes coming down the pipeline anymore. Only 29 kids on the team. We dont scare anyone anymore. Swo used to show up 70 deep with 17 coaches and look like a college team. Not even close these days.

Plain and Simple : Croatan now has a power running game and we dont. Their Defense is stout against the run, up the middle and off tackles for sure ... and were not. Bottom line they were much better than us. Our QB Moore was the leading rusher with 86 yards and threw for 100. A one man team Last Friday night.

I am amazed because our line should have been very big and Dempsey is smart enough to just have them play both ways. That means our O-line is a work in progress and our best athlete is playing QB trying to do it all. errr.

I know it is not cool to talk about, but do we have boys who did not qualify academically? or some of the luster is gone because of Covid, but this is not what I expected. WE... MEANING SWO!!!! CANNOT BE BEATEN IN A WEAK CONFERENCE! plain and simple

Swo isnt the swo of old ha. Dont have enough athletes coming down the pipeline anymore. Only 29 kids on the team. We dont scare anyone anymore. Swo used to show up 70 deep with 17 coaches and look like a college team. Not even close these days.

29 kids!! In an high school that has 9-12th grade and we have 29 boys on Varsity. errr

Man, yall are worse then Carolina and Duke fans. Last week you were going to roll through the conference beating everyone 50 to 0, this week y'all are astonished about the obvious plight of your football program. Maybe they lost because they were extremely over-confident, i know their fans sure were. At this point all they can do is win out, and im 90% sure that is what will happen. It's a crazy season, trust me, there will be more upsets coming.

Man, yall are worse then Carolina and Duke fans. Last week you were going to roll through the conference beating everyone 50 to 0, this week y'all are astonished about the obvious plight of your football program. Maybe they lost because they were extremely over-confident, i know their fans sure were. At this point all they can do is win out, and im 90% sure that is what will happen. It's a crazy season, trust me, there will be more upsets coming.

Dont worry about how we do things at the west. We expect to win championships or bust every year. This isnt JHS, where yall happy to win 2 or 3 games a year

Did you have 17 coaches or 8 coaches, a get back coach, and 8 Radios?

I also dont know how many teams you were able to "scare". Maybe Richlands, DIxon, White Oak and Swansboro. I bet if you were to check head to head meetings over the past say 20 years with the Jacksonville's, WRH;s, Clinton's, ED's, and Northside's you might be surprised. i dont think any of those teams were scared of SWO no matter how many players or coaches you had.

Reactions: daagoob
Lol what dude? Swo has the 3rd highest winning percentage in the entire state with 4 state titles lol. Swo is known throughout the state as a hard nose hit you in the mouth all night football. We had monster on both sides of the balls. Mult players in the NFL. Legend as a head coach lol. Ask any coach in the state most will tell you, they didnt wanna play swo at the corral. Not sure how long you been around, but swo is a powerhouse program lol

No doubt you have been very successful. Again, check the results. Those other good programs I mentioned I doubt very seriously were scared of SWO and the head to head would reflect that.

Reactions: daagoob
Did you have 17 coaches or 8 coaches, a get back coach, and 8 Radios?

I also dont know how many teams you were able to "scare". Maybe Richlands, DIxon, White Oak and Swansboro. I bet if you were to check head to head meetings over the past say 20 years with the Jacksonville's, WRH;s, Clinton's, ED's, and Northside's you might be surprised. i dont think any of those teams were scared of SWO no matter how many players or coaches you had.

Will happily check the records, and I bet 40-50 percent where scared over the past 20 years. Respect the history. Even Dempsey has a couple of eastern finals under his belt. No school will ever know what is like to dominate 1a conference like we have, check the record of SWO conference record while in 1a please...

SWO will be just fine. Don't panic. Mostly sophs and juniors starting. I think we came out a little flat and over confident and got down 7-21 in the fourth quarter. Battled back to tie and had the ball, but couldn't put together a long drive. Croatan runs the veer very well and they've also been practicing for the last 4 months (difference between Carteret and Onslow policies). Great story for their kicker, though.

Its crazy.....
Unbelievable. When we played them we had 24 and they came out with their 70. My players were in shock. Had the running clock going at halftime and Coach Padgett played his JV kids. Told me he'd run dive the "whole" second half. Sucks to see SWO down like that with numbers. Maybe they'll rebound by fall? Hope so. That place is a great traditional program.

SWO will be just fine. Don't panic. Mostly sophs and juniors starting. I think we came out a little flat and over confident and got down 7-21 in the fourth quarter. Battled back to tie and had the ball, but couldn't put together a long drive. Croatan runs the veer very well and they've also been practicing for the last 4 months (difference between Carteret and Onslow policies). Great story for their kicker, though.

I'll always want to win, but honestly I don't care about win loss this season. Beat Richlands and we start summer workouts in a few months. This loss puts a real strain on playoffs.

Unbelievable. When we played them we had 24 and they came out with their 70. My players were in shock. Had the running clock going at halftime and Coach Padgett played his JV kids. Told me he'd run dive the "whole" second half. Sucks to see SWO down like that with numbers. Maybe they'll rebound by fall? Hope so. That place is a great traditional program.

Thanks for that story coach. Swo just isnt the same, sad days. Fence boy? Thought no one was ever scared of swo. This is just a coach insight from a board member/ex head coach. Could only imagine if you asked every head coach padgett went against, what they would say.

I'll always want to win, but honestly I don't care about win loss this season. Beat Richlands and we start summer workouts in a few months. This loss puts a real strain on playoffs.

You are correct sir, but man just dont see the athletes in the pipeline. We shall see. I'll be at the game again Friday

Thanks for that story coach. Swo just isnt the same, sad days. Fence boy? Thought no one was ever scared of swo. This is just a coach insight from a board member/ex head coach. Could only imagine if you asked every head coach padgett went against, what they would say.
Just curious if he coached at any of these schools (WRH, Jax, Nside, ED, Clinton)? I provided a few schools that might have been "scared", (WO, Dixon, Swansboro Richlands). Maybe he coached at one of those? Maybe Jones, Croatan (before last week) East Carteret??

Still waiting on someone to provide head to head records on some of these so we can put this theory to bed.

Last edited:
Just curious if he coached at any of these schools (WRH, Jax, Nside, ED, Clinton)? I provided a few schools that might have been "scared", (WO, Dixon, Swansboro Richlands). Maybe he coached at one of those? Maybe Jones, Croatan (before last week) East Carteret??

Still waiting on someone to provide head to head records on some of these so we can put this theory to bed.
I coached at East Carteret. Just wondering though. How many championships does Nside, JAx, and ED have compared to the storied history of SWO? When I was at East, I took over for a team that won 8 games in 4 years. Had no JV, and I had 18 players come out first day of practice. Busted my butt for 3 years with one assistant coach on campus. Coach Padgett was a class act and helped me through that time, all while kicking our a**. Anyway, they have a tradition better than any of those you mentioned, except WRH and Clinton. They rest are trying to compete consistently.

Again, I am not doubting or questioning the success or tradition at SWO. It is obvious they have enjoyed tremendous success over a long period of time.

A poster made the comment that teams were scared of SWO. My point was to point out that regardless of championships, some teams have had a lot of head to head success in series with SWO over a long period of time. How can it be said that any of those were "scared" of SWO??

Again, someone pull the head to head series for those teams I mentioned and prove to me that those teams were in awe, scared, intimidated (pick any term you wish) or whatever. Yes, SWO has beaten Richlands since the 20s, we get it. Yes, for many years SWO was in one of the weaker 1A leagues in the state. Yes, for the last 4 years they were in the weakest 2A-1A league. Yes, they had a lot of success when moved to 2A in the toughest conference in the state. Yes, they have state championships that validate their success no matter what league they were in. Does not change the fact that I challenge someone, anyone to prove to me that teams were scared to play them.

Guarantee Northside is ahead in that series, and thats with Southwest winning the first 5 or so due to Northside being new.

I bet the guy from the Jacksonville paper who occasionally posts on here could pull this info. Id be interested in series history since 1990 or so.

Would love to see series history with Clinton, WRH, Northside, ED and Jacksonville.

You know, just for argument sake see if it can be validated of the fear factor regardless of state championships, number of coaches or players.

I bet the guy from the Jacksonville paper who occasionally posts on here could pull this info. Id be interested in series history since 1990 or so.

Would love to see series history with Clinton, WRH, Northside, ED and Jacksonville.

You know, just for argument sake see if it can be validated of the fear factor regardless of state championships, number of coaches or players.
Not sure you can prove teams were scared. Easy to see intimidation in a players eyes though when they take the field. Those teams you speak of Clinton, WRH, ED, N'side, and Jax were not scared. Croatan, East, and others have been due to being taken behind the woodshed a few times.

Reactions: UNC91 and SWO-#1
I cant pull up the series history but im.pretty sure we have a sizable lead in the head to head including blowouts in the last 3 meetings

Reactions: UNC91 and SWO-#1
I think it's RESPECT .....Not Fear of any team. You see what they have done and respect their ability to do it to you. On the other hand If it were fear you would see it in their play, failure to hit, not blocking, giving up on runs, pass routes. Some teams hit harder than others, some are faster, some more in number, size. None of those factors in themselfs make a great, not even a good team. Coaching, team leadership, and playing your hardest even when all of the above factors are against you. Prevailing is called "Upsets". Every team does them and has it done to them.

Guarantee Northside is ahead in that series, and thats with Southwest winning the first 5 or so due to Northside being new.

Lol im not sure the record's. I don't have all the info. But I do know swo beat NSJ 8 years in a row to open their school. My boys played them first 3 years. I know we own a winning record over wrh of four games. ED always had swo number when were together in conference play.

I mean swo owns a lot of head to head margins over top teams in the state.

South Columbus
Tarboro
NE
Reidsville
Cumming

Clinton vs swo had some epic battles. I'm not sure the margin of wins is to big. For 12 years, 1999-2011 I believe either swo or Clinton represented the east at the 2A level. I wasn't trying to say everyone is scared of swo just stating the facts not the same swo when they step off the bus. Like the coach said very intimidating to say the least, when 17 coachs and 70 players show up.

Come on now, dont back track. You said SWO "use to scare" other teams. Well chances are if a team is scared or intimidated they probably dont stand much of a chance. I was just curious (and pointed out) teams that might not have been scared or in awe of 17 coaches and 70 players.

One coach, formerly at East Carteret admitted his team was. OK, so that's one. Your series record with the powerhouses of Richlands, Lejeune, Jones, Dixon, Swansboro, White Oak probably indicate they were scared (at least for the past 20 years or so) OK, there are a few there.

My point was, it is not like SWO has ran roughshod over everyone they have played for the better part of the last three decades. I listed teams off the top of my head (without having the data in front of me) that I thought had not been "scared" of 17 coaches, 70 players, black uniforms, orange helmets, etc..based on won/loss results.

I hope someone has this data to confirm my suspicions. I think it would be a very informative exercise for those from other areas of the state.

I would bet Billy and Melvin the voices of the Stallion broadcasts would have that info. They are a gold mine of stats on SWO series with other teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT