ADVERTISEMENT

Swain

TitletownRBK

Aug 24, 2018
Ive followed the smc since i was a young boy in the mid 1980s and i have never seen a worse Swain team. I know they lost a lot of skill guys but many on here picked them to win conference. Perhaps its the competition they are playing and they will be fine come conference play, but they dont look good at all. We lost a lot as well, but geez. Coaching isnt as easy as many in the stands think.

I thought Swain would win the smc this year not get a running clock out on them by a mediocre team that struggled to beat 1-3 Polk, all swains other losses are somewhat understandable but I thought this would at least be a tight game

Last edited:
I’m just gonna go ahead and say it… I TOLD YALL SO!!! It’s not injuries, I don’t know what it is? Lack of effort, not being prepared, or a combiniation of both. But this is one of the most undisciplined teams I have ever watched.
You and me both. I’ve been extremely critical of this staff for years now and nobody wanted to hear it. I really hate it for the kids most, they are a bunch that needs their potential coached out of them but as we’ve seen this crew is not up to the task. With a capable staff Swain could have possibly 2 more titles up on the hill these past few years and it’s a shame these teams will likely be forgotten because of it.

Reactions: cherokee 79
There are always lulls in talent in 1A football. Swain has always been a tough out through the years because they played hard nosed football, ran the ball, controlled the clock, and finished drives. They never beat themselves with penalties and turnovers. These are the traditional Swain teams I coached against. I'm sure the coaches are busting it to make what they have better everyday. I'll bet they do much better once conference hits.

Are you referring to Blankenship? Or referring to them getting ride of Patillo before Blankenship?

Yeah that's what I'm wondering too. I believe Patillo went on to the superintendent and Blankenship is still the AD so I'm not sure either of them would qualify as "run off".

Holt seems like a good guy. Their defense has seemed to keep them in games for the first few years, even when their offense was struggling. And I thought he was going to try to honor the veer tradition and run a veer look out of gun. So what in the world are they even attempting to do on offense these days? If the offense is sucking, the answer seems real obvious - go back to running the same offense that made Swain a consistent powerhouse for decades! Just an idea!

Also seems like I heard that he doesn't even live in Bryson?

Look on sidelines. No one left from the group that coached them from late 80s to 2018 ish. Not talking about hc in particular but staff in general.

Ah, gotcha. HC run them off or did they leave on their own? I can see guys leaving on their own just because things are being done different. That's always gonna happen when you bring in an outside guy.

Its just sad with the talent Swain has had over the years and pissed it away, This years team has the talent to win the SMC but with this coaching staff that's not going to happen and will be lucky to win a game. I'm sure injuries' hasn't help but I've never seen a Swain team get hit in the month and take it!!! Theirs no energy or leadership what so ever on this team and their more going on as it like the players didn't want to play Friday night.

Reactions: Usdi Watali
I’m just gonna go ahead and say it… I TOLD YALL SO!!! It’s not injuries, I don’t know what it is? Lack of effort, not being prepared, or a combiniation of both. But this is one of the most undisciplined teams I have ever watched.
you did maroonbrave

Holt seems like a good guy. Their defense has seemed to keep them in games for the first few years, even when their offense was struggling. And I thought he was going to try to honor the veer tradition and run a veer look out of gun. So what in the world are they even attempting to do on offense these days? If the offense is sucking, the answer seems real obvious - go back to running the same offense that made Swain a consistent powerhouse for decades! Just an idea!

Also seems like I heard that he doesn't even live in Bryson?
I’m pretty sure they have been running the veer. Don’t know what you have been watching

Swain doesn't know what their running or which QB will start. I've seen the power I, spread, T formation, and the Veer. Their no consistency from what I seen and is why the offense is struggling to even snap the ball. They need to pick a QB and which offense work with the players they have.
I agree with you 79, there doesn't seem to be any consistency with their offense so far. I hope that we are able to get something going offensively, scoring 3 times in four games is pitiful.

Reactions: cherokee 79
I think the last time I watched Swain play they were running the old T formation and I didn't see any veer!
Kid, you are correct, we haven’t ran veer. We haven’t blocked veer, so basically running dives out of T formation, I formation, and what looked like inverted wishbone. If you don’t know what split back veer looks like, I’m sure dives resemble veer.

Kid, you are correct, we haven’t ran veer. We haven’t blocked veer, so basically running dives out of T formation, I formation, and what looked like inverted wishbone. If you don’t know what split back veer looks like, I’m sure dives resemble veer.

People think of veer as "triple option" but it's the blocking scheme that defines the offense! And if the blocking ain't veer then there ain't much to fear! Not too many coaches out there that really seem to understand it.

Reactions: maroondevil2004
If thats the case then they definitely are not getting enough reps to actually know how to read effectively.

That split back veer hits so fast the QB needs to give the ball every time unless the defense absolutely won't let him. Swain games of the past it seemed like the dive would be given 75% of the time or more.

Do they not have a sophomore operating at QB? Your best player gets hurt and I’m sure it’s set them back a ton.
Their using a Jr and Sophomore at QB and will play both in the same game. The Jr is the best option but their allowing the Sophomore to get the same reps

That split back veer hits so fast the QB needs to give the ball every time unless the defense absolutely won't let him. Swain games of the past it seemed like the dive would be given 75% of the time or more
When we were being taught, that is exactly what we were coached to do, give it unless....... and that goes right along with what you are saying. I think that the percentage you are talking about are spot on, but we would run true veer the whole game, not just a possession before we panicked and switch offensive philosophies completely like we tend to do currently. I think that the movie quote from Remember the Titans is about as accurate as I have heard, “I run 6 plays, split veer. like Novocain. Just give it time, it always works.”

Reactions: CherokeeKid
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT