ADVERTISEMENT

Swain @ Whiteville

Hello agains Gal Durnit...I have to admit I was biased in favor of Eastern style BBQ until I made a few stops in Lexington @ the BBQ place just off business I-85 and all I got to say now is they are equally good...I find no fault in either...they both are delicious...the only difference I can tell by taste is between the vinegar based sauces. The little tomato base that goes into the Western style doesn't hurt the BBQ @ all as far as I'm concerned. The Red slaw just looks a bit different and the tomato flavor does alter the taste a little bit but it's not bad either. I'll take either if I can get'em. They are both delicious. Don't believe I'd have any qualms about walking across the street for one or the other. Just absolutley GREAT!

Finally Game Day, Wishing safe travels to all the Swain folks traveling today. In the end it will be a good day if everyone returns home safe.

Originally posted by NCBlueWonderz:
Hello agains Gal Durnit...I have to admit I was biased in favor of Eastern style BBQ until I made a few stops in Lexington @ the BBQ place just off business I-85 and all I got to say now is they are equally good...I find no fault in either...they both are delicious...the only difference I can tell by taste is between the vinegar based sauces. The little tomato base that goes into the Western style doesn't hurt the BBQ @ all as far as I'm concerned. The Red slaw just looks a bit different and the tomato flavor does alter the taste a little bit but it's not bad either. I'll take either if I can get'em. They are both delicious. Don't believe I'd have any qualms about walking across the street for one or the other. Just absolutley GREAT!
I agree as long as it's cooked over wood. I do like the eastern version just a little better because I like the whole hog better than just shoulders also I like the sides you get down east better (Brunswick stew, collards, etc.) IMO if you've ate at Lexington BBQ or Smiley's BBQ, you've had the best Lexington style you can get and if you have ate at Wilber's in Goldsboro or Bum's or Skylight in Adyen you've ate the best eastern style you can get.

As for this BBQ debate.... I like'em BOTH! And we do have some good BBQ here in the Mountains too. K&B make a good little BBQ too.

As for me, I rather love a HOT vinegar base sauce. But I love BBQ anyway I can grab it.... wish I was able to make the trip..... all that talk about a Calabash style seafood got this fat man wishing he could see a game and have some more food too. Like I really need it after all that Turkey! LOL

Best of luck for both teams but maybe a little more for me beloved Devils.
evilgrin0013.r191677.gif

Being the friendly little town that we are, I believe the right thing to do is go get a plate of seafood and slowly devour it for you. Maybe you will feel the love in about an hour. I am putting up collards for the freezer or I would do it sooner. By the way, do I need to get some steamed oysters for you also. Wont be no problem. LOL

Originally posted by huntman98:
Being the friendly little town that we are, I believe the right thing to do is go get a plate of seafood and slowly devour it for you. Maybe you will feel the love in about an hour. I am putting up collards for the freezer or I would do it sooner. By the way, do I need to get some steamed oysters for you also. Wont be no problem. LOL
Oh, to be making the trip. Somebody go eat me a big plateful of fried oysters, and you can start off with some boiled shrimp and lots of nice horseradishy cocktail sauce....

BBQ is BBQ and yes wood only please but not a fan of the Vinegar base sauce.

I'd like eastern bbq if they didn't drown it in kerosene, ummm, I mean vinegar lol. And pryles if you ever come this far in the mountains I have a place to take you that would change your opinion of mtn bbq lol.

Just stuffed my self with Dale's Seafood and thank you LoavBoat for the advise, great eats!

Originally posted by knine1:

I'd like eastern bbq if they didn't drown it in kerosene, ummm, I mean vinegar lol. And pryles if you ever come this far in the mountains I have a place to take you that would change your opinion of mtn bbq lol.
Look. You guys can play football, I'll give you that, but you need to leave the BBQ to the folks in the foothills and coastal plains...lol Good BBQ won't need any more sauce put on it or at the most just a few drops. That's the difference in mountain BBQ and the rest of the state. You guys try to put the flavor in with that sweet sauce after the pig is cooked. If done right, the flavor will be put in DURING the cooking, not afterward.

Does anyone know if there is a PRE-GAME show on Maroon Devils Network (Swain @ Whiteville), if so could you post a link. I can't seem to find the link in the usual places.

If the countdown timer on the site is accurate, looks like it will be short and sweet... should start about 7:15.

I believe 7:15 is when Gary and Steve will start. There have been some awesome one hour pre-game shows hosted by Toby Burell on You Tube lately.

Originally posted by Diablo:
I believe 7:15 is when Gary and Steve will start. There have been some awesome one hour pre-game shows hosted by Toby Burell on You Tube lately.
Mr. Burrell does a heck of a job. He's a good commentator on the broadcasts, too (when he gets a chance).

This post was edited on 11/28 5:50 PM by OldMaroonDevil

The best place for BBQ in the State for me is Red Bridges BBQ lodge in Shelby. Like prlyles said if it ain't cooked over wood it ain't BBQ. Well, it's about an hour and a half till kickoff and I can't wait. Hope for a close and competitive game tonight and hope the Swain fans had a safe trip down. Best of luck to both teams. Go Pack.

GO WOLFPACK....GOOD LUCK AND CONGRATULATIONS TO BOTH SWAIN COUNTY [BRYSON CITY] AND WHITEVILLE FOR MAKING IT THIS FAR...MAY THE BEST TEAM WIN! ENJOY THE GAME, I'LL BE LISTENING TO 100.9 K-LOVE RADIO AND MARK AND FRANKLIN FOR THIS ONE. GAME TIME IN 45 MINUTES AND VERY EXCITED FOR THIS ONE.

Originally posted by Diablo:
NCBlue, Some great tunes rocking the waves right now at 100.9.
100.9 FM is broadcasting the Starmount WM game.......

I know diablo...it seems like the Whiteville broadcast has lost either the satellite feed or something has been lost because i listened to the game up and until the half when the score was 24-21 in favor of Whiteville with Geraldo Maggioli kicking a 24 yard FG with 5 seconds left on the clock before the half...still hoping the feed comes back before the end of the game.

To gal and the other Swain posters. Congrats. We didn't hold up our end of the bargain on the rematch. You will be playing a very good and deserving bunch from Starmount. Best of luck to you both.

I know diablo...it seems like the Whiteville broadcast has lost either the satellite feed or something has been lost because i listened to the game up and until the half when the score was 24-21 in favor of Whiteville with Geraldo Maggioli kicking a 24 yard FG with 5 seconds left on the clock before the half...still hoping the feed comes back before the end of the game.
Guess it was a sign of things to come in the 2nd half. Had a brief power outage just as half ended that knocked pressbox out momentarily. 30 seconds later our Shoutcast stream provider's server (somewhere in Timbucktoo, USA) went down and was not fixed until after the game. Unfortunately since this was a first time for this to occur not a back up plan so nothing we could do. (Promise I'll have something in place for the "next" time. Thanks for the kind words though. Follow a team all year and there is bias. We do try to give credit when deserved and not blame everything on bad luck, officiating, etc.
I have not been involved in the "discussion" on this thread about the perception of the 2 teams. I don't believe your region determines your speed or toughness. Swain reminded me of the good South Columbus teams the way they got off the football and the quick hitting plays were something the Wolfpack have not seen as the veer is not the offense of choice by the teams on our schedule. Impossible to simulate in practice and when well executed by Swain hard to adjust to on the fly. Video did not do the defensive quickness of Swain justice..

Proud of season the Wolfpack had and the effort they put forth. Not using it as an excuse because turnovers are part of the game but the lost fumble on Pack first possession of 2nd half was a big momentum swing. But they had other possessions and did not take advantage Congratulations to Swain and enjoyed meeting the Maroon Devil folks in the press box. Maybe we can play a non-conference game in August when the press box temp exceeds 100 degrees.

Mark and will now move over to 89.9 radio and wzco.org, but still on the Columbus Cup page and on our CCSN app for basketball and a lot of baseball this spring as we cover all of Columbus County schools in those sports.

Originally posted by wtxycolor:
Guess it was a sign of things to come in the 2nd half. Had a brief power outage just as half ended that knocked pressbox out momentarily. 30 seconds later our Shoutcast stream provider's server (somewhere in Timbucktoo, USA) went down and was not fixed until after the game. Unfortunately since this was a first time for this to occur not a back up plan so nothing we could do. (Promise I'll have something in place for the "next" time. Thanks for the kind words though. Follow a team all year and there is bias. We do try to give credit when deserved and not blame everything on bad luck, officiating, etc.
I have not been involved in the "discussion" on this thread about the perception of the 2 teams. I don't believe your region determines your speed or toughness. Swain reminded me of the good South Columbus teams the way they got off the football and the quick hitting plays were something the Wolfpack have not seen as the veer is not the offense of choice by the teams on our schedule. Impossible to simulate in practice and when well executed by Swain hard to adjust to on the fly. Video did not do the defensive quickness of Swain justice..

Proud of season the Wolfpack had and the effort they put forth. Not using it as an excuse because turnovers are part of the game but the lost fumble on Pack first possession of 2nd half was a big momentum swing. But they had other possessions and did not take advantage Congratulations to Swain and enjoyed meeting the Maroon Devil folks in the press box. Maybe we can play a non-conference game in August when the press box temp exceeds 100 degrees.

Mark and will now move over to 89.9 radio and wzco.org, but still on the Columbus Cup page and on our CCSN app for basketball and a lot of baseball this spring as we cover all of Columbus County schools in those sports.
Class act right there! Congrats to a fine season!

Originally posted by WMFootballFanatic:
To gal and the other Swain posters. Congrats. We didn't hold up our end of the bargain on the rematch. You will be playing a very good and deserving bunch from Starmount. Best of luck to you both.
Fanatic,

Tough way to go out for yall and I am a little surprised at our outcome. I hoped for the best but I did say all week that if we held on to the ball and played disciplined football that our coaching, heart, and determination could give us a good chance. I look for us to meet next year and know you guys will have a beast of a team on the field.

Originally posted by WMFootballFanatic:
Originally posted by duplinman:
looks like the mountain boys from Mitchell were the ones who got mashed in the mouth tonite!

Swain is a different mountain bear. You may run away with it, but it will not be easy. I was actually posting that to try and help you to not try and compare the two. No offense to Mitchell who had a fine season. And when I said you, the you I was speaking of was WM as I was speaking from experience as I have watched some real battles between WM and Swain.
This post was edited on 11/22 1:07 AM by WMFootballFanatic
Lol, yep WM. They got the Koala in Mitchell, and found the Grizzly in Swain. We tried to tell them boys!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT