ADVERTISEMENT

Swain @ Whiteville

187.gif

This post was edited on 11/24 12:11 PM by chipshot1

Thanks Loveboat, for that info on Hal Stephen's and I do remember his being on the Wolfpack team, but I forgot his last name and wanted to remember him as Hugh Williamson or something or other like that. That is the only reason I didn't put his name with the other WHS players who went to college and on to the pro's or the NFL. I had forgotten his name. Hal was a big guy too wasn't he...even in HS? Appreciate the kudo's.

Thanks for that gotoblue...appreciate all of what you had to say. I was also real good friends with all the Williams boys even their dad Clyde was a friend...I remember driving up from Merritt Island Florida in 1994 to see Whiteville play Burlington Cummings in that years 2-A playoff brackets when they had a QB named Earnest Tinnin...that Cumming's team threw the ball 85% of the time they had it. Of course the Wolfpack was a very good team also and both had either 9-2 or 10-2 records and we had Tony Southern who could flat out fly and while more of finese runner than Terrance Manning he was very similar...this year's WHS team reminds me of that Whiteville team. Final score in that ballgame was 50-49 in favor of Cummings with a FG attempt from 42 yards out falling just short of the crossbar as time expired that would've had us winning if it'd gone through. I said all that to say this...Rudy & Bennett were there and we talked all game long. Followed them back to Durham on I-40 where we were staying @ the Hilton and we tooted the horn @ them and waved so long as we got off the ramp in West Durham. In 2005 I had moved to the Chapel Hill area off the ole Chapel Hill-Greensboro Road which ran through Snow Camp...a back way between the two cities. Former UNC BB coach Dean Smith lived in that area before he moved to the much more prestigious & gated community of Governor's Club a few years ago. In 2005 the first year I was back in the state of N.C. after moving from Florida, I saw in the paper that Whiteville was playing @ East Bladen. I drove down to the game and upon parking to go in the first person I saw was none other than Rudy Williams...he was suffering a bit with cancer @ the time and he was about 71 or 72 @ the time and we sat together throughout the game. Which the Wolfpack surprised EB beating them by a score of 17 - 15...a close one but kind of unexpected by the Pack that year.

This post was edited on 11/24 1:45 PM by NCBlueWonderz

Originally posted by gotoblueg:
Not bragging but when u see packs speed u will know what Mitchell and EM saw first hand. With Whiteville u can't
go buy who they played. I don't see any 1A team beating
this Wolfpack team. Maybe last year u could but a kicker
one of the best. I was on the middle school coaching
staff,in 8 grade he could kick and did 35 yards. Now
he can go 40--42 yards. This is a big plus in a close game. QB Carr is playing his best football now. He is
very fast,and looks to help open Luke's play book even
further. Maning was leaving players on ground trying
to tackle him last night. He is a load,low center of gravity and runs very low. If your team tackles these to
Two consistently and you win u will deserve this game
and will win it all. Did I mention Carr can pads the
ball also. They do have total package. I look forward
to seeing this game. I hope u guys are all healthy I
Like to see a good game. Safe trip to all from Swain.
"Pack-speed"
laugh.r191677.gif

Boy if I had a nickle every time we heard that.

"Middle school coach"
laugh.r191677.gif

"I don't see any 1A team beating this Wolfpack team. "
rolleye0012.r191677.gif

I don't have a dog in this fight but if the wolfpack fans are as nice as the swain fans I got to meet at WM last year that is great that means if WM wins this week we get great fans next week no matter which one gets here. I really enjoyed one fan more than any he was a retired coach from Swain i think it was loud at that time. Hope we meet again I was really impressed with the Swain fans and the class they have

I stated nothing but the truth. You can't be nice to
some people,just in their DNA. It will be over Friday night.

Lost to EB 19 to 28 lost to Clinton 7 to 19 in 2 0f the first 4 games of the year. Only team to hold Clinton under 20 points this year. Very good programs.

Originally posted by gotoblueg:
Thunder,I am really sad u lost RB. I hate to see any
team lose a player. I know Swain is a top program in
NC football. If this was reversed I would feel same
way in a game of this magnitude. I like seeing good
close games and I don't see any reason to believe any
thing otherwise Friday. Pack will have their hands full.
I like to chest pound now and again. That is the way
I come off sometimes. Swain has a lot of travel for
team and fans,but we used to like going on road meet-
ing people. Whiteville is one of the best places you
could play (people) here are great. We take any sport
as serious as u take yours. I love the mountains. IMO
the most beautiful things about NC. Wish I could get
up there more often. Come down and enjoy the game.
Have a safe trip and eat some great food while you
are here.
Kind words, but I am no Swain fan. Just a WNC football fan in general. This will be a good game that I feel Swain was already against the wall, prior to losing McCoy. They're tough and I hope they still come out fired up and not deflated.

Here's to a good one.

Hey there Tigertown Rick...I appreciate your comments too. Yeh, I never thought I'd still be following HS football well into my 70's but here I am still a fan of it and still love it. I love to see how much a player can grow up during one football season. It is amazing how they gain not only in stature but in confidence & ability. It's a real transition. And yes I do remember that upset of the Owen Warhorses 28 - 20 and they were undefeated @ the time and ranked No.1 in the State. I was surprised by that outcome because of it being a home game for Owen. Who's your team? Didn't catch that. Good of you to respond to my post...thanks. NCBluewonder...the reason for my handle is I pull for the Whiteville Wolfpack who wear blue and the Tar Heels who wear their own version of blue...LOL.

Yeh Strick...that East Bladen loss was hard to take because Whiteville jumped out to a 10 - 0 lead early in the first quarter with Terrance Manning going for 70 yards and a TD on the first play from scrimmage and then EB just kept plugging and running that big 245 lb running back Murchinson repeatedly all game and they pulled ahead early in the 4th quarter thanks to multiple 4 & 5 yard runs @ a time from Murchinson. He was a locomotive all night long. The Clinton game was a bit closer than the score might indicate...the Darkhorses scored in the 4th quarter after a fumble on the 35 of Whiteville which led to Clinton's last TD. We could've won both those games with a break here or there...but agains thats just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

No matter who wins the game, it will be interesting to read the responses about Manning afterwards. He is a man among boys and you will see. Lots of teams were warned about Todd Gurley from Tarboro on these boards and they laughed as I remember reading the posts each week several years ago. You will find that Manning is a beast as well.

Looking over Swain's schedule I see 3 losses, all the three well known powerhouse teams, Franklin, Robbinsville and Murphy(as noted Swain"s D must have played their worst game of the year, giving up 38 points). But what happened against Tuscola? won a very defensive game 7-3?

Originally posted by loveboat3:
Murphy(as noted Swain"s D must have played their worst game of the year, giving up 38 points)
no, Murphy's offense is just that good. Swain had a lot of trouble with Murphy's skill position speed.

Swain still has a solid defense, without McCoy not as strong though.

Looking over Swain's schedule I see 3 losses, all the three well known powerhouse teams, Franklin, Robbinsville and Murphy(as noted Swain"s D must have played their worst game of the year, giving up 38 points). But what happened against Tuscola? won a very defensive game 7-3?
R-ville is not a power house, lets just clear that up right now. We are way down this year with our size and youth.

Originally posted by Kazuma:

R-ville is not a power house, lets just clear that up right now.
laugh.r191677.gif
you couldn't resist could ya Zuma. Gotta love it

Like I said, I guarantee that Swain wins this. It does not matter about speed to these mountain teams. You guys turned up on Mitchell seemed like at the end of the third quarter. Yeah they are not as fast as most inner city schools, but they find a way to keep you right in front of them....don't ask me how, they just do. I've seen a 2009 Albemarle struggle against Swain, matter of fact only won by 1pt and that was a comeback win. Good luck to Whiteville and Swain Friday night. I bet Swain cracks those pads on Whiteville, I guarantee.

No freshman that I know of but something like 10 underclassman on offense and 8 or 9 on defense. Mostly sophmores with a handful of juniors sprinkled in.

Are we seriously getting down to birthdates? What's next, we are going to do the ol elementary stadn nose to nose and see who is taller by moving our hand from forehead to forehead? What about favorite colors or favorite subjects in school?

Just hacking on ya loveboat.

ohwell.r191677.gif

No problem gal, we have a freshman and sophomore that start on D, #16 is the 9th grader, #11 is the sophomore. The D line is made up of mostly upper classman, LB's are mixed. O line is mostly seniors and as a unit probably our best. They have really come together the last few games.

No problem gal, we have a freshman and sophomore that start on D, #16 is the 9th grader, #11 is the sophomore. The D line is made up of mostly upper classman, LB's are mixed. O line is mostly seniors and as a unit probably our best. They have really come together the last few games.
Sign of good coaching and a willingness for players to learn. Gelling at the right time is always key to a good run in the playoffs.

Originally posted by gal durnit:
No freshman that I know of but something like 10 underclassman on offense and 8 or 9 on defense. Mostly sophmores with a handful of juniors sprinkled in.

Are we seriously getting down to birthdates? What's next, we are going to do the ol elementary stadn nose to nose and see who is taller by moving our hand from forehead to forehead? What about favorite colors or favorite subjects in school?

Just hacking on ya loveboat.

ohwell.r191677.gif
You know where all Swain personnel arguments end up, did they come from the Rez or didn't they?
laugh.r191677.gif

Sway,did u read this. Swain had trouble with skill
positions and speed. Swain lost that game.

Saw where Sway guaranteed a win against Whiteville. Must know something I don't. LOL
This post was edited on 11/24 6:53 PM by Strick68

Gotoblue,

It wasn't the speed that killed it was the line play. Our line play was horrible that night against Murphy. Johnson went off but I could have gone out there and had 150 yards with the holes those guys were running through. That goes back to an earlier point originally brought up by non swain posters. As mbd how the same skill guys have done the last couple years. Mbd is plenty smart and has seen many good swain teams he knows that this team at times can be solid but stack them up to our better teams and it just ain't there with all the obstacles we have in front of us.

Blue should we even come down? Go to YouTube or to the 2AA board and see the clip from when we played another 2a size school playing 1aa in Monroe. Now granted that was a couple years ago but that will give you an idea of how a solid Swain team handled a team that had speed like we had never seen and weapons every where. A so wish we caught y'all then or even in a couple years. That's the way it goes. Heck maybe they will just go on down there and play anyway and see what happens.

@Galdurnit,

who asks... "Jungle Jim,

How is coaching going to help us hold on to the ball?"

There are dozens of drills that can be used to train and enhance ball control, like most things in athletics, they have to be learned correctly, practiced repeatedly, and over time the mind/body learns to perform tasks automatically. I recall at least two drills (under Coach Deitz) that we did that were designed to train a quick tuck and firm grip on the ball. Not only are those useful, but one should also strive to identify where/when the fumbles are occurring and concentrate training time into achieving perfection in those areas. (ie; invest time working on the center-Qb exchange, the near and far hand offs, etc)

I'm surely not trying to bash or second guess our coaching staff, but the ball control and jumping the snap issues that I mentioned are most certainly coachable skills.

Also, I had hoped that Galdurnit would assist me in offering up some more examples of some of our notable athletes that went on to play at college level. Like some others have pointed out, some of us old guys like to hear about stuff like that more than we like to thump our chests.

Jim you beat me to it on the athletes you mentioned and agree completely with you.

Regarding the other stuff you brought up, I agree the things you mention are coachable and the fact we are still having issues with it at this point are due to our youth, plain and simple.

Have a great deal of respect for Swain and their football program. Proven to be tough every year. Neil Blankenship is one heck of a coach and I wish them luck down at Whiteville. They need to figure out how to generate some more offense in order to compete in the 3rd round. As stated in a previous post, they scored 2 non offensive tds; 1 on a punt return and the other on a scoop and score. Offensive touchdowns came on short field due to interceptions thrown by Avery's Qb. Swain never mounted any type of drive. Crowe got hurt on a long run in which he was hit helmet to helmet after fumbling and attempting to stand to his feet and got blindsided (thought helmet to helmet was a national point of emphasis?). Not saying it was intentional but definitely shifted momentum. I would like to see Swain come away with a win bit without McCoy it will be very tough. Whiteville by 21

# 12 is also a freshman on defense for Whiteville. After watching Swain and Avery it seems to me that Swains defense is their strong point. good tacklers in open field. With all the fumbles it was hard to tell much about their offense. Manning protects the ball well when running up the middle, two hands on the ball. I think this one comes down to turnovers. Whiteville by 14.

This just in, Coach Little has got an unprecedented approval from the NCHSAA to allow two eighth graders to play for the Pack Friday night against SC, both were all conference at the middle school. Look forward to seeing these two play!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Oh yeah well I will see your 8th graders and raise you two termite youth league players from our Rec. League.

loveboat 3 I have no idea who the two 8th graders they are talking about except the two big tackles and they are not ready for this type of football yet. I have no reason why he would do this does not make any sense to me.Where did you get your info.I just talked to Patrick at the middle school and he said that they haven't even picked the all conference yet.

Wow...lol. I thought he was kidding. In all seriousness that can't be true. And not that I would wish this on anyone but, 8th graders dont need to be in this game. They would get manhandled. Strick is exactly right.

Strick, a little tongue in cheek between Loveboat and gal durnit.

Seriously though . Is everyone healthy? What about Shipmans ankle ?

Buck as far as I know he should be ok but don't know for sure. Just found out that the Sway poster talking all the smack is not even a Swain fan just trying to cause trouble.

Yep, he is the one tooting WM's horn from day one. Only thing that matters is Swain Co. And play a complete game. Was a little disappointed in our lack of focus last week. Better not have another half like that from here on or we are done. IMO

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT