ADVERTISEMENT

Swain @ Whiteville

KevinFromSwain

May 30, 2001
Far in'em thar hills
I pray that McCoy is ok and all the other young men that were injured in Fridays game. But now on to the Wolfpack of Whiteville.

I don't know what to think after tonight, 6 fumbles.... 5 lost... and yet a win. Swain if they want to compete MUST find some stick'em by next Friday or that's a long trip for a sloppy game. Swain's defense gave but didn't break tonight and again came up with a bunch of big hits. But we've got to do better to compete next week against one of the East's better teams. They didn't get this high of a seed for nothing!

What can Swain fans expect out of Whiteville? Swain will run the Veer all night long if it's working...... after that we rely on our defense to keep it close.

After seeing tonight's game I'm not sure Whiteville is ready for the pressure of the playoff grind. I can honestly see a Swain win next week. But be ready for Manning because he will get his yards. Should be a close battle.

Whiteville will have to cut down on penalties, some self inflicted and some bogus. The white hat has a history with Whiteville, Manning had 220 yrs on 20 rushes and probably had another 100 negated by penalties. QB Carr had 150 plus. Defense held Mitchell to 178 total yards. I don't expect to see the penalties next week. Whiteville will run the option with one of the best running backs in the state, has the best balance I have ever seen. Defense is playing pretty good right now and Defense Coach makes good adjustments. Expect warmer temps on Friday night. We have Calabash style seafood, Joe's BBQ, Southern Sizzler Steak house, and Waffle International is a great place to eat after the game. You won't find a more hospitable little town. Welcome to Whiteville and safe travels.

Whiteville played hard against Mitchell. A bit of a problem with penalties but defensively looked solid. Manning ran like a possessed bull and the quarterback had a few good runs himself. Manning is the REAL DEAL.... Special teams looked off for the Pack with a bad snap on a punt,a surprisingly missed fg, and later a very short punt(Didnt effect much). These could be KEY game changers against Swain. Anyone know the stats from Whv's special teams last year compared to this year? Heard their great kicker was a junior from last year and their punter from last year was a junior as well? Pack will have to minimize errors as they begin to have a bigger effect on the game the further they go along. Good luck

Guess Swain county better leave on WED...lol....you can celebrate Thanksgiving down east......Whiteville is a loooong a## ways from Reidsville...much less..Swain Co....safe travels.........

Pack looked good tonight. I was told Swain was a team that is different from any pack has seen this year.
Mannin and Carr looked really good tonite. Swain will
Have to play he'll of game to beat pack. Pack can't have
stupid penalty. Mitchell looked well coached,and a lot
of fans. Be proud of your team. Safe trip back.

You will hear crazy talk this week about them mountain boys being slow. But, it is not really that noticeable on the field when they are mashing you in the mouth. Best of luck.

Whiteville will have to play their best game to date to win this one. I've never seen Swain play but have always heard of their storied program. Whiteville had something like 11 penalties tonight against Mitchell. This can't happen against Swain. Should be a great game and atmosphere. Hope you guys bring tons of fans. Safe travels.

looks like the mountain boys from Mitchell were the ones who got mashed in the mouth tonite!

Whiteville should rightfully be the favorite as you have an impressive team. All I have heard about you guys is class. Same can be said for Swain. Should be a heck of a match-up between top-notch programs. They will fight you til the bitter end and it has to be earned against those cats. Much respect for Swain. Always have, always will.

Originally posted by duplinman:
looks like the mountain boys from Mitchell were the ones who got mashed in the mouth tonite!

Swain is a different mountain bear. You may run away with it, but it will not be easy. I was actually posting that to try and help you to not try and compare the two. No offense to Mitchell who had a fine season. And when I said you, the you I was speaking of was WM as I was speaking from experience as I have watched some real battles between WM and Swain.
This post was edited on 11/22 1:07 AM by WMFootballFanatic

Originally posted by duplinman:
Dude, have you been paying attention to the last 5 years? The SMC is an entirely different breed of football. Whiteville may win, especially if McCoy is hurt, but the Swain program is cream of the crop. They've been here before and you'll see it.

Swain is cream of the crop? In 1A yeah, I don't think they ever beat Albemarle though.

I guarantee Swain wins next Friday.

I'm not sure of the number, but they have the state championship trophies lined up in their football shrine beside their stadium. If you ever play them there, I highly recommend to get there early so you can visit it. I expect this to be a whale of a game. Whiteville will be the favorite at home and even if you win, you will know you've been in a ball game. If we had lost to Walkertown, I would have been in Whiteville next Friday night. Best of luck to both teams.

Originally posted by wolfpack69:
How many SCs does Swain have? I know they have been in the finals alot.
Eight. One 2A and seven 1A. And a Bryson City High School team from the 30s (1936?) that went undefeated, untied, and unscored-on. I don't think they were in the NCHSAA then, though.

Griddie you are on the wrong website LOL. Listened to the game on the Swain Broadcast. Way to many fumbles last night in the Avery Swain game 11 total. Swain had a lot of personal foul penalties.You want be able to give Whiteville more possessions or help them with penalties. Hopefully Swain can pull off the upset Friday night.

Swain County High School has 8 rings, but you are right, Swain has made several trips to the finals but came up a little short. Any good places to eat in Whiteville, I love some seafood.....

Buddy,

That very thought crossed my mind last night...lol. We both got tough ones this week though. From what I hear Whiteville is the real deal too, and then some, and Starmount is flat out rolling right now. Should be a great week of football with good matchups in round 3!

Yeah, that was a mess of a game. 12 or 13 turnovers between the two teams, and I think they collectively hit 200 yards in penalties. If Swain plays that way against Whiteville, they're likely to get their clocks cleaned. But if they can somehow get rid of the fumbleitis, and don't have too many people out hurt, they might be able to pull the upset.

wolfpack69, In answer to your question, the Swain County Maroon Devils have eight state championships. For me personally, I am most proud of the of the fact that the Devils currently hold the record for most playoff wins (all classifications) in North Carolina.

The Swain fans will be the first to tell you that this year's edition of the maroon machine plays nowhere near the caliber of football that we have been blessed with over the years. Just too many key injuries at the wrong times coupled with a relatively young team have contributed to some really ugly games this season including the victory over Avery County last night. In my humble opinion, Whiteville should be a 10 point favorite in this matchup. With that being said, Swain's experience in playoff games is a huge X-factor in this game. Win or lose, Whiteville will know it was in a game when the buzzer sounds.

Good luck to both teams and may the Swain fans travel safe over this ridiculously long road trip.

We have two Calabash Seafood resturants in Whiteville, Dales (about a mile from the ballpark and Marks about 3 miles) Had oysters last week at Marks and they were great. These will be closed by the time the ball game is over. If you are looking for a great meal after the game I would recommend Waffle International, located across from the High School. Legion Staduim is located approx. 1 1/2 mile from Whiteville High. If staying overnight I would recommend the Econo-Lodge, it is also located across the road at the High School beside Waffle House.

Originally posted by huntman98:

We have two Calabash Seafood resturants in Whiteville, Dales (about a mile from the ballpark and Marks about 3 miles) Had oysters last week at Marks and they were great. These will be closed by the time the ball game is over. If you are looking for a great meal after the game I would recommend Waffle International, located across from the High School. Legion Staduim is located approx. 1 1/2 mile from Whiteville High. If staying overnight I would recommend the Econo-Lodge, it is also located across the road at the High School beside Waffle House.
This is just another reason why I love this site! Good people helping out folks coming to town for a ball game. I so wish I could make the trips again.... Lord knows I miss it badly.

Anyway, best wishes to both teams and hopefully Swain will live up to our beloved Devils past and give ya'll a good game.

We played by far the most undisciplined football I have ever seen from a Swain team last night. We should have comfortably won that game and time after time we gave them huge chunks of penalty yards on nothing but bonehead penalties. Heck we had the same guy have 3 personal foul penalties in one quarter. We do stupid mistakes like that next week and turn the ball over more than humanly possible like we did last night we are going to get waxed. However if we hang on to the football and sustain drives and force a couple early turnovers we can without a doubt win this ball game. Turnovers have plagued us all year except for one game that I can remember which was Rosman. When we limit turnovers we stay in rhythm and we eat up clock. It gives our defense to do what it does as well. Bottom line for next week is we play undisciplined like last night we will get destroyed. If we play disciplined smash mouth football we can come out of there with a win there is no doubt in my mind.

Originally posted by gal durnit:
We played by far the most undisciplined football I have ever seen from a Swain team last night. We should have comfortably won that game and time after time we gave them huge chunks of penalty yards on nothing but bonehead penalties. Heck we had the same guy have 3 personal foul penalties in one quarter. We do stupid mistakes like that next week and turn the ball over more than humanly possible like we did last night we are going to get waxed. However if we hang on to the football and sustain drives and force a couple early turnovers we can without a doubt win this ball game. Turnovers have plagued us all year except for one game that I can remember which was Rosman. When we limit turnovers we stay in rhythm and we eat up clock. It gives our defense to do what it does as well. Bottom line for next week is we play undisciplined like last night we will get destroyed. If we play disciplined smash mouth football we can come out of there with a win there is no doubt in my mind.
We'll need another RB and LB for next weeks game, HUGE loss. Also, hope the coaches will practice all week on "How to hold on to the FB" game plan.

Gal is right, boneheaded football last night.

Diablo: Last time in Whiteville we took 1 of 3 state championship Dixie league games in early 1990's! great community with local sport fans and a black Friday football game. We stayed at beach in SC and team was in local motel. Maybe Neil will stop and get 5 gallons of stick-em spray for his young team and hope you saved up some extra gas money for poss. December trips!
devil.r191677.gif

IMO, Whiteville will win by 3 TD's. I realize that sounds incredibly cocky, but The Pack has won 9 strait in a split 1A/2A conference. Swain has 2 loses to smaller schools ( although very good small schools ) & Whiteville's only 2 loses are to very good 2A schools. I just dont think Swain has faced the caliber of athletes Whiteville has & their def will struggle. Swain allows almost 15 ppg while they only score 25; Whiteville scores 37 ppg but only allows 10 & thats deceiving bc most games were over by halftime. And the 1st team Def hasn't allowed a point in the last 4 games. Assuming we don't make any of the bonehead mistakes we made in the first half last night, it'll be over by halftime. Enjoy the seafood while you're here, it'll be the highlight of your trip.

mayor: I see on nc-preps page the the wolfpack only played two teams with over a .500 record in regular season in 2014?
devil.r191677.gif

Well you're 300% wrong. We were 4-2 against teams .500 or better in regular season play, including larger schools but that didn't seem to be a problem last night.
This post was edited on 11/22 1:47 PM by Themayor569

Mayor,Swain can't play with Pack. To much speed,stretchable them. These guys from West look at the
regular season and see all the blowouts pack had and think they haven't played anyone. Ask coaches from EM
And coach from Mitchell last night. Pack can have penalty and still come out on top. Now if pack was in
East,they would have more of challenge. WRH,Princeton,
Tarborro,James Kenan I believe would give a better game
But I could be wrong just MO. I will predict A WHITEVILLEVS WRH game for State title.

Statistics and previous opponents will not determine this one. Sounds like both teams have self inflicted issues they can address. I'll start working on a meaningless statistical comparison after a "relaxing" weekend with the grand children, ages 2 (twins), almost 3 and almost 9. Will let you know when posted on columbuscup site.

If visitors are in town early on Friday, the ladies might like to go "downtown" and check out Colliers Gift Shop.

Good God it is the same thing every year. We have never seen athletes like y'all have? I ain't saying y'all won't win but who do you think we are? We have lost more state title games than y'all have even played in. We have played better athletes every year in the playoffs and our record speaks for itself. Do t kid yourself mayor or any of you others. Swain will not have the athletes y'all will but we also won't be the least bit intimidated. That is laughable. We are coming down with a very young over archiving team by Swain standards and will just give it a go and play the game anyway. If we play disciplined we will be fine if we don't we won't.

Hey gal durnit....here is a complete listing of all our accomplishments in State Championships....as you can see we've been there 6 times in football...and should have been there a couple of other times when we just feel a little short and were upset.

Whiteville Wolfpack State Championship appearances and results...FYI

1938 - State Runner-up to Mt. Airy in state Class B football title game under Coach Paul Powell Sr. a WV native.1939 [/B]- State Runner-up to Forest City in state Class B baseball title game. Star Player was Charlie Ripple Sr.
1965[/B] - State 2-A Champions in Football by acclamation * after defeating Pender High in Eastern 2-A Final. Star players were James Smith & Charlie Ripple Jr. Wolfpack Head Coach was Buck Jolly, former co-captain Wake Forest Football 1959 *see below for explanation of 'acclamation'.[/B]
1969 - State 2-A Basketball Champions defeated Hendersonville in state 2A basketball title game, 6'10" Reggie Royals star player...played for the FSU Seminoles then drafted by Philadelphia 76ers & the NY Nets. Actually played for San Diego Conquistadores of the ABA.
1971 - State Runner-up to Wake Forest-Rolesville in 2A Championship basketball game. Star player was 6'8" Center Warren Lennon.
1981 - State Runner-up to Randleman in 2A football Championship game...Star Player was HB Terry Paige.
1982 - State Runner-up to North Moore in 2A girls softball Championship series
1982 - State Runner-up to Randleman in 2A football Championship game...Star player was QB Brian Watts
1983 - State Champions defeated Piedmont in 2A baseball Championship series...star player was Of George Threadgill.
1984 - State Runner-up to Forest Hills of Marshville NC in 2A football Championship game...Star player was QB Heath Hewett
1985 - State Runner-up to Cherryville in state 2A basketball Championship game...star player was Patrick Lennon
1985 - State Champions defeated Randleman in state 2A Championship baseball series...star player was pitcher Tommy Hammonds
1986 - State Champions Won state 1A-2A golf championship, Monroe was runnerup
1987 - State Runner-up to Southwest Guilford in State 1A-2A golf championships
1987 - State Champions defeated Thomasville in state 2A football championship game 14 - 12. Coached by Bill Hewett...Chester McGlockton star player...played for the Clemson Tigers then in NFL for LA Raiders, Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs & NY Jets.
1989 - State Champions defeated West Stanly for state 2A baseball series championship Star player was
1991 - State Champions defeated C.D. Owen of Black Mountain for state 2A baseball series championship, Pitcher Tommy Greene was Star player drafted by the Atlanta Braves later pitched a no-hitter for the Philadelphia Phillies.
1992 - State Runner-up to Cherryville in baseball 2A series championship games
1995 - State Runner-up to Lexington in state 2A Championship basketball finals
1998 - State Runner-up to Eastern Randolph in state 2A baseball series finals
1999 - State Champions defeated West Caldwell for state 2A basketball Championship, Chris Wilcox star player...Played for the Maryland Terrapins then in the NBA for the Seattle Supersonics, the Detroit Pistons, the Boston Celtics & the LA Clippers.
2000 - State Champions defeated Northwood of Pittsboro for state 2A basketball Championship
2011 - State Champions defeated Randleman of Randolph County for state 2A baseball Championship
2014 - State Champions defeated East Surry of Pilot Mountain for state 1A baseball Championship
2014 - State Runner-up to North Stokes of Danbury NC in State 1A girls softball Championship
* 1965 - State Championship by acclamation: In 1961 the NCHSAA decided to ban 'Championship Games in Football'. This was enacted supposedly because of travel costs. The ban lasted from 1961 until 1971. The HS Superintendents, Principals, Coaches & Players were against this ruling and appealed the decision in court. Even going so far as to sue the NCHSAA. In 1965, the NCHSAA was forced by court decision to begin declaring a Champion and to again start Championship Football Games no later than 1971. The 1965 Whiteville Wolfpack was then acclaimed by the NCHSAA the 1965 State Champions in 2-A Football due to being the only undefeated team in 2-A football with a record of 13 - 0. [/B]

The Whiteville High Wolfpack track team won eight Eastern NC 2A championships in the 1980s and 90s, Having never won a Track & Field Championship, the Pack did have three third-place finishes in the overall team standings for their best showings in the state 2A Track meet.
This post was edited on 11/22 4:31 PM by NCBlueWonderz

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT