ADVERTISEMENT

Swain @ Whiteville

Originally posted by BigSkyCountry:
Swain has plenty of speed, and reaction time at all 11 defensive positions that is as good it gets. If you beat them, it won't be because you out ran them. You will not find a Swain defenseman out of position. You won't run around them, either. They are solid and plenty quick on the perimeter
I'd like to agree with this but it's just not true, aside from being manhandled up front Swain's main issue against Murphy was they could not contain the perimeter, they had major problems with Murphy's skill speed all night.

Murphy usually has good skill speed but they do not have anything like the team speed of a Whiteville, so while I hope I'm wrong I see Swain struggling with Whiteville's speed because they don't have the line play they usually have to combat it.

With that said I hope Swain beats the piss out of Whiteville, it gets annoying hearing this same ole song and dance from the flatland teams every year.

It will be tough for Swain without their best player and without their usual size on the lines but not impossible. Go Devils

I can assure u that Whiteville staff and players will not be effected by Thanksgiving. Parents too are also in
tradition know how to handle holidays in playoffs. This
Is not our first rodeo either. As far as Swain not having their players due to injured that's football.
I hope no player is hurt from any team. You still have
to line up and play. Everybody talking about our backs
We have a very big and good OL that knows their job well. They are disciplined bunch. Also Nate Powell a
good back not mentioned a lot gives one more threat to
Pack. So far they work as a unit very well coached. Swain has a very good staff. As far as Swain fumbles
I find most times it is in the players mind somewhere
Deep that only they can fix. Stripping tech. Has a lot
To do with it also. We can talk all day but fact is pack
And DEVILS have to play to see who is king of this 3 round. Can't wait to see it Friday. You guys have a
Very safe trip and enjoy.

Where do I start? Congrats Swain on your win Friday and the welcome mat to Columbus county will be out this coming Friday night. This game coming up will be a tough test for the wolfpack. Early in the year I saw a Whiteville team face East Bladen in a very hard hitting matchup, yes the eastern teams do hit, "it's football!" The statement about swain hitting/tackling any harder is ridiculous. After that game, a 19-28 loss for Whiteville, I posted that the Pack needed to develop another consistent weapon other than Manning, he really needs a nickname, and I stated that the QB Carr could be the key. Well guess what, Carr now has confidence completing 70% of his passes and as soon as you start loading the box to stop Manning....Carr scores from 60 yards. Now on to the "speed" discussion. Whiteville in my opinion is not a team loaded with it but have enough in the 1A class to make a difference. Swain will not lay down if Manning rips off a 70 yarder on the first play so whoever wins this classic matchup will probably do so in the closing minutes. Oh yea that all everything kicker for Whiteville missed a 25 yarder last Friday, playoff football will do that to you. Good luck to both teams.

Originally posted by mbdfan:
With that said I hope Swain beats the piss out of Whiteville, it gets annoying hearing this same ole song and dance from the flatland teams every year.

It will be tough for Swain without their best player and without their usual size on the lines but not impossible. Go Devils
I'll give them a pass. Whiteville is new to the party. They obviously believe that they are all Usain Bolts and that Swain is all slow white kids. No matter how much any of the fans from some of fastest teams to suit up in Albemarle, Monroe and West Montgomery, try to tell them different about Swain. The pitiful thing is that they probably will win because this is a rebuilding year for Swain and they just lost their best player for this game, and because so it will go straight to their head and only make that mentality worse.

I'll just reiterate what another poster said, just be glad you're playing this Swain team and not the ones Monroe and WM had to in the past 4 years.

This post was edited on 11/23 11:31 AM by Thunder.Head

What is the status of McCoy? What is the nature of his injury? I hope he will be alright and able to play.

I could speculate but won't on the extent of his injury. He is our captain and the fire behind our team. If it is at all possible he will go I am sure. If it is serious or there is a high risk for a long term serious injury to him the coaches and the rest of his support network would never risk that. Again I do t know the seriousness of it. I hope he is ok as he is a great football player and a tremendous leader.

I think he is a state champion wrestler too isn't he? That would be a tough one to lose right there. Kids a beast.

Originally posted by WMFootballFanatic:
I think he is a state champion wrestler too isn't he? That would be a tough one to lose right there. Kids a beast.
Two time state champion and ranked #1 in the 195 lb class this year.

He also won the middle school state title when he was at Robbinsville.

All the hype on whiteville is about manning. Yes he is an oustanding player, but their defense is the reason why they have been so successful the last two years. I think whiteville wins the west but if I were a whiteville fan I would quit poking a stick at a sleeping bear.

I pull for Swain in the playoffs ever year and even go watch them but I dont see them winning this one. Hope I am wrong. I know that Swains line is the best one we have played this year. Very tough but on the small side. The line WILL NOT quit and will leave with respect as always. If this game was at Swain It would be close but dont think swain will win in either place.

All I hear is smash mouth football and more smash mouth football. I you think Whiteville cant play smash mouth football bring your camera and take some pictures of some of Whiteville giving some lessons on smash mouth football on both sides of the ball. Have you ever thought that is why you cant hold on to the ball.

Originally posted by Strick68:

All I hear is smash mouth football and more smash mouth football. I you think Whiteville cant play smash mouth football bring your camera and take some pictures of some of Whiteville giving some lessons on smash mouth football on both sides of the ball. Have you ever thought that is why you cant hold on to the ball.
Lol no one said they can't play smash mouth football. The argument is Whiteville will be much faster than Swain. If you think that intimidates Swain ask the previous eastern teams that thought they would just outrun Swain how that turned out. This is going to be a great game. Whiteville will be favored greatly, but Swain will not just hand it to them. Swain hasn't fumbled on hard hits. I'd say 80% of their fumbles have been on the center to qb exchange or qb to rb exchange. If they can cut down on those I think it will be an interesting game.

LOL.I have seen swain play in many championships at Chapel Hill and was impressed with their teams. Well coached.Hate that your player got hurt and wish him a speedy recovery. Hate to see any player get hurt from any team,but this football and things like this happens. I think high school football is the is the all time best sport,and like I tell my middle school players it is not for every one..If you don't love it don't play it. AS for the game all you can do is line up let It rip and see who wins. Good luck a little and hope no one gets hurt.
This post was edited on 11/23 4:54 PM by Strick68

Stric,

Have you ever even seen Swain play? You don't have a clue. Listen to crazy chicken. He is absolutely on point. And of the remaining 20% you could count on one hand the number of forced fumbles from big hits. You might be as tired of hearing about smash mouth football as we are of hearing we have never seen speed like we will see this Friday. Y'all have a good team this year. Y'all will face an average Swain team for our standards and on top of that we are limping into the game. Y'all are the favorite and rightfully so but Swain thrives on physical play. I never saw anyone say y'all weren't physical either. You guys sure have been talking an awful lot for a program who hasn't won anything in football. Beat a down Swain team this week, maybe beat a young West Montgomery team next week only to get spanked by the eastern champ. Never know though...crazier things have happened and maybe we can shock the world one more time. Humility is a good thing. Try it.

If the game is anything like the trash talk on this board, it is going to be incredible. We've heard you will bring a large contingent, so were setting up extra bleachers.

Can't wait for Friday!!!!

We should bring a decent crowd. Again...y'all catching us at a good time. How far from the coast are y'all?

Hello again Gal durnit...I think you all are accusing the Whiteville fans of being irrational about just the speed that the Whiteville team possess's. I can only remember a couple of posts by gotoblueg, the Mayor569 and maybe one or two others like Strick who may have beat their chest a little too much, but for the most part, the posts I've seen from Whiteville fans and boosters seem pretty tame & run of the mill and personally I think not a whole lot of chest thumping on the Wolfpack's fan's part. As to distance from the beaches of either NC or SC we're about 56 miles from Wrightsville Beach near Wilmington and about the same distance to Holden's, Ocean Isle & Sunset Beach right on the SC border. Now as for distance in time we're only 35 minutes through the woods from Little River & North Myrtle Beach SC. It's a quick run that many Whiteville folks make quite often to go down for some some shows, fine dining or dancing. I personally go back to the 50's making the run from Whiteville and now live in Crescent Beach SC next to old Ocean Drive Beach. I've been following Pack football since the 50's and we started a bit of legacy in SENC for being a very good program in 2-A that finished just short winning the State several times winning just one and finishing 2nd about 3 times during that span on back through the 80's and early 90's when we begin to get a steady stream of really good athletes that you may or may not have heard of. People like Ricky Shaw class of 85-87, 6'6" 310 lbs. who played tackle for UNC under Mack Brown, Chester McGlockton class of 85 - 87, 6'5" 330 lbs who played for Danny Ford @ Clemson @ DE & DT. Joe Reaves class of 85 - 87, 6'4" 230 lb who played @ South Carolina @ linebacker back in the early 90's. Tony Southern class of 92 - 94, who played fullback & halfback for George Welsh @ Virginia in the mid-90's. These were about the best of those who have gone on to play college ball. How about some famous football players from Swain?...I'm sure you guys have sent many good players on to some good college programs. Could you enlighten us a bit about some famous Swain Alumni? Would love that info. Your tradition rich program has many I'm sure. Oh by the way...I've been a fan of the Inspiration's from there in Bryson City since I lived in Atlanta and saw them several times down there. Loved old Archie and the tall bass singer for years...the guy on the piano was fabulous also. I love Southern Gospel Quartet Music.

This post was edited on 11/23 8:05 PM by NCBlueWonderz

This post was edited on 11/23 8:13 PM by NCBlueWonderz

I swear these fans from Swain have every excuse in
the book. Either you can play or you and WM to young.
Just bring this physical team down here and take care
of business. I'll shake your hand and wish you the best.
If I insulted you any way I'm sorry.

Dog NCBlue, how long does it take you to type these posts? lol. Sounds like you're driving a Johnny Williams corvette to make NMB in 35 min.

This post was edited on 11/23 8:37 PM by wolfpack69

For anyone not able to attend, the CCSN guys do a great job broadcasting the game. Link: http://streema.com/r.../The_Cross_WSTS

LIKE the post bluewonder, Its good to read something other than chest- thumpin, program bashin, trash talk. Swain does not have a long list of incredible athletes that have played at the higher levels, but is content and proud to achieve great results with a TEAM of average players. I can recount a multitude of occasions where the devils average players rose to the challenge and stymied the performance of some of the areas greatest athletes that have gone on to play at the highest level.

That being said, we have turned out several good solid athletes that have went on to play at the college level. Our most notable, being Heath Shuler, QB heisman contender at UT and NFL starter for Washington and New Orleans. Some others that went on to D-1 schools, Denny Rochester - GA Tech 1978. Charlie Williams - UNC 1970?. Benji Shuler-UT, Greg Tisho-UT. Several others went on to play at smaller colleges. One standout among those was Charles Stevenson - WCU all southern conf. lineman.

Hoping the Devils can show you some excitement Friday but my money says Whiteville 24, Swain 14.

HEY WOLFPACK69...I have a Mercury Grand Marquis circa 2004 with a interceptor ford engine that will fly, living down here @ old Crescent Beach, I've driven out to Whiteville on SCSR#9 down to SCSR#905 down to Longs and then to NCSR#130 so many times I know every curve & bump in that highway. It seems as if it takes no time @ all to go from Lowes in South Whiteville down to NMB anymore...I left NMB last Friday afternoon from Bert's Surf Shop off US17 & 21st street in Crescent beach @ around 4:00 PM and was eating dinner @ the Southern Sizzler about 45 minutes later in South Whiteville. From there after dinner, I went out to Liberty Commons to visit an old friend and was out @ Legion Stadium by about 7:00PM. You may be right though...I count being on the eastern side of the Waccamaw River as being back in the NMB area when driving from Whiteville. Lots of ole Whiteville folks live down here @ the beach now. What's your name Wolfpack69? I know Strick is Donnie Strickland who I helped Coach in LL football back during the early 60's along with Joe Floyd, James Smith, Rod Bullard, David Barden, Larry Dwyer and many, many others. I'm Larry Newsome by the way. Ronnie Newsome's first cousin.

Thanks Junglejimk...I was hoping that Swain fans would not see that post as chest thumpin' but I put it on JFYI and thought some serious HS fans would find it interesting. Yes, I remember Heath Shuler and the fact that he went on to play pro ball for the Redskins or @ the very least signed with them. I hate that he went to Tennessee and not UNC but that was his choice...just like I hate that Chester McGlockton went to Clemson. But the kids make those decisions. I placed a list of Whiteville playoff appearances in all sports and some Swain fans thought I was chest thumping by doing so but again it was JFYI...not being a braggart by doing so. I hate braggarts also. Thought maybe Swain folks would find it interesting. I love finding out all I can about teams we play and find it fascinating being placed in the West this year. I enjoy seeing folks from the far reaches of NC. I live in the NMB area and drive up into NC to catch Whiteville games. Lot of Whiteville folks retire down here to the beach to live. I grew up in Whiteville & Wilmington and grew up playing sandlot ball with Roman Gabriel in Wilmington & going to Sunset Junior High with him off Carolina Beach Road in Wilmington. He now lives down here in Little River SC and is retired too of course and living large in NMB area....LOL. thanks again for the friendly post...I've dated myself by mentioning Gabe but being over 70 ain't all that bad...still act like I'm a High School Junior...LOL.

Originally posted by Junglejimk:

Benji Shuler-UT, Greg Tisho-UT
Benji and Greg were great high school players but neither one was/is a scholarship player at UT

Paul Georgis here NCBlue. My father used to own and run the old New York Restaurant in Whiteville if you remember that. Live just down the street from Strick. Now if our kids had Strick's heart and desire the way he played there would be no doubt in my mind who would win this game. Times have changed and kids just aren't the same as when we were growing up. I remember all those guys you mentioned. Ah growing up and living in Whiteville in the early 60's it don't get no better than that. BTW Ronnie's brother Kenny was in my class. Getting back to the game, I can't wait for Friday night. Always have heard of Swain Co. and excited to see them play for the first time. Not sure, maybe a Swain fan can help me out, but didn't Jack Holly's Tabor City squad lose to Swain in the '79 SC game in 2-A.

Gotoblue,

No one from Swain has made any excuses. We are extemely young. Fact. Not an excuse. We have and are suffering from serious injuries to several of our key guys. Not an excuse at all but more of a fact. To be honest I haven't considered any of y'all's comments chest thumping or trash talking. These two programs pretty much no diddly squat about each other. Just from my perspective which doesn't count for much I would be excited if this was 2011 or 2012. We rolled out stud teams and played amazingly disciplined football wee in and week out. Heck last years team was even fun to watch and was one play away from being in our 3rd straight title game. It is a simple fact that we lost a ton from those teams and we are rebuilding. I predicted at best a 3rd round appearance for us at the beginning of the year and here we are. In all honesty this bunch has over came a lot and should be a good test for the Wolfpack. I think we can push Whiteville but in the end it will be too much for this year's edition of the devils. Again you can call it an excuse if you want. Trust me we have been around much too long to make any excuses. It just is the way it is. But like you said play or don't. Believe me we will play probably harder than anyone you guys have faced up to the point.

Tabor City lost to Maiden in 1978 under Coach Holley. Really enjoying these posts from both sides, lots of interesting facts and just a little trash talking. I have also always heard of Swain and know they have great tradition. But let me say, Whiteville is not just all about speed. They have great size and lots of heart as well, don't think this team will lay down for anybody. This could be one hard-hitting game!!

Did NCBlue actually list accomplishments in girls sports as part of his programs pedigree? I'd laugh if I weren't so embarrassed for him.

That being said, I'm neighbors with Whiteville's superintendent of schools. I know they have a legit team and should be favored. This Swain team is soooo young, sooooo turnover prone, and sooooo small on the line. But, this Swain team also plays really good defense (minus the Murphy game), pursues ball well, gang tackles, and has the best WR in the conference. Plus they believe in themselves. Will be a competitive game. Whiteville by 14.

Thanks for the correction dirty stallion. I just looked it up. Tabor City lost to Sylva-Webster in 1973 43-18 and Maiden in 1978 36-14. Guess I was confusing Sylva-Webster with Swain both power houses from the mountains. BTW Jimmy Hickman of Whiteville was AD at Maiden High School in 1978. Small world.

Hello Paul...What a question...do I remember the ole New York Restaurant? ...why I sure do...my mother worked for your Dad there as a waitress after she & Dad were divorced and we lived down on Franklin Street exactly one block behind the NY Restaurant. I remember your Dad, Paul Sr. well also. This was about 1950 -52 and it's embedded in my memory bank. My mother moved us to Wilmington NC, where she was employed for another Greek owner Mike Zefferelis of the Crystal Restaurant and Crystal Pier @ Wrightsville Beach...the downtown Crystal next to the Bailey theatre in downtown Wilmington was a real favorite of ours. We used to ride the ole Atlantic Coast Line train between Wilmington & Whiteville and depending on which direction I was going the first thing we did was to go straight to one or the other two restaurants when arriving in Whiteville or Wilmington. Must have made over 75 trips from 1953 to 1956. Fare on the train was $2.75 and we shuttled back & forth between Mom & Dad over those years. I remember Donnie playing in the line for the LL Lion's club with Larry Dwyer @ QB and Joe Floyd @ FB and his younger brother @ center. I helped the Lawyer Jack Dwyer and Gene Watts coach those young boys back in 59 & 60. Yes, I am glad you told me about being a classmate of Kenny's...I miss that rascal. Ronnie too. I know that TCHS lost to Murphy in a 1-A Championship game when they had Carl Pickens [Who went to Tennessee and became a star player with the Vols] as a WR @ the OK Corral back some years ago. Don't believe it was Swain County though. I also knew Jimmy Hickman real well and remember Yogi his younger brother playing LL baseball. Knew J.B. Hickman Jimmy's dad real good also. Nice folks.

This post was edited on 11/24 12:14 AM by NCBlueWonderz

Hello GreyGod623...this is a list of all the state championship appearances of all the Wolfpack teams that qualified to go. I got most of this list with the help of News Reporter Sports Editor Dan Biser and thought it was nice of him to include the girls. They're reps of the school also. I have it on my facebook page and used to have it on a sports blog I did back sometime ago. I just cut & pasted onto the NCPreps website JFYI and others info. Why would you be embarrassed for me...that's silly. I've been following Wolfpack football for years...all the way back to 1956 when the Pack was in the tuff ole SE2-A Conference along with Wadesboro, Rockingham, Hamlet, Laurinburg, Raeford, Lumberton, Sanford, Clinton, Dunn & Tabor City. We only had one team that ever came close to winning that conference and that was way back in 1952 when the Wolfpack tied Rockingham for the Title but because of losing to the Rockets 14 - 7 they went on to the play-offs....Wayman Stanley, George Inman and Cholly Rooks were a few of the players on that team and they ran either the Notre Dame Box offense or the single wing...can't remember which? Great times back then. Good football too. This was long before integration and all the teams were all-white. But I remember some fast halfbacks even then.

Originally posted by NCBlueWonderz:
Hello GreyGod623...this is a list of all the state championship appearances of all the Wolfpack teams that qualified to go. I got most of this list with the help of News Reporter Sports Editor Dan Biser and thought it was nice of him to include the girls. They're reps of the school also. I have it on my facebook page and used to have it on a sports blog I did back sometime ago. I just cut & pasted onto the NCPreps website JFYI and others info. Why would you be embarrassed for me...that's silly. I've been following Wolfpack football for years...all the way back to 1956 when the Pack was in the tuff ole SE2-A Conference along with Wadesboro, Rockingham, Hamlet, Laurinburg, Raeford, Lumberton, Sanford, Clinton, Dunn & Tabor City. We only had one team that ever came close to winning that conference and that was way back in 1952 when the Wolfpack tied Rockingham for the Title but because of losing to the Rockets 14 - 7 they went on to the play-offs....Wayman Stanley, George Inman and Cholly Rooks were a few of the players on that team and they ran either the Notre Dame Box offense or the single wing...can't remember which? Great times back then. Good football too. This was long before integration and all the teams were all-white. But I remember some fast halfbacks even then.
NCBlueWonderz, just wanted to let you know that there are a lot of us fans who enjoy all the history that you have related in this thread, and appreciate the fact that you take the time to relate what you know, and have seen thru your many years of watching and following the Whiteville Wolfpack....Remember Owen had a good 2A team around the turn of the new millienum, and your Wolfpack came up to the mountains, and ended the Warhorses' postseason dreams that year...

I too miss the days when teams had to travel to a different region of the state to capture a state title...It was educational for all the fans, players and coaches to see a different part of our state that we may not have visited if not for a high school football game....Spent the Weekend in Whiteville back in the late 80's when I was a traveling advertising salesman...Good folks down there for sure!

Again, thanks for all the great info about the area....Although I will be rooting for our SMC brethen this friday, I've gained new insight about the Whiteville area, along with more knowledge about the Whiteville Wolfpack atheletic program, thanks to you and your infinite wisdom about that area of North Carolina....

Again, keep sharing your thoughts and memories, there's quite a few of us old geezers who actually enyoy it...

Mr. Newsome thanks for a lot of interesting information
about Whiteville. I enjoy learning all I can about this
County. Ronnie was a good friend of mine,and I also
knew Mr. Leslie. Any information about our sports
or heritage here is always welcome. I'm glad to
see you are a UNC fan. Bennett Williams and I went
to a lot of football games before he passed on. We
should want to learn all we can in life. Here's to
your good health and God bless.

I too appreciate NC...'s info. But wanted to add a teammate of mine that went on and played in the NFL. Hal Stephens, was a TE and DE and( much to his shagrin) a FG, kicker, though he hated to kick he actually won a game against Fairmont with about a 38? yd boot. Beefed up and played D Line at ECU in the early 1980's and went on to play for the LA Rams. Good guy.
No chest beating from this Wolfpack fan, just look forward to a great game on Friday night. Welcome to Legion Stadium and Whiteville, Maroon Devils and their fans!!!

Originally posted by gotoblueg:
I swear these fans from Swain have every excuse in
the book. Either you can play or you and WM to young.
Just bring this physical team down here and take care
of business. I'll shake your hand and wish you the best.
If I insulted you any way I'm sorry.
Lol, the pressure is on YOU! Swain is the one having to travel 5 hours to play, Swain is the underdog, Swain just lost their top player. Swain has been the cream of the crop in the 1AA West for several years now and believe you me, they will continue to be. I just hope to hear the same talk in a year or two when Swain is back to 2011-2013 form and Whiteville has to travel Bryson City.

Good luck.

This post was edited on 11/24 9:44 AM by Thunder.Head

Thunder,I am really sad u lost RB. I hate to see any
team lose a player. I know Swain is a top program in
NC football. If this was reversed I would feel same
way in a game of this magnitude. I like seeing good
close games and I don't see any reason to believe any
thing otherwise Friday. Pack will have their hands full.
I like to chest pound now and again. That is the way
I come off sometimes. Swain has a lot of travel for
team and fans,but we used to like going on road meet-
ing people. Whiteville is one of the best places you
could play (people) here are great. We take any sport
as serious as u take yours. I love the mountains. IMO
the most beautiful things about NC. Wish I could get
up there more often. Come down and enjoy the game.
Have a safe trip and eat some great food while you
are here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT