ADVERTISEMENT

Swain @ Whiteville

olddevil, I won't be able to make it to the game this week but if we are fortunate and get a West Montgomery rematch, I will see you there for sure!

This is hilarious. All these seasoned 1A fans are in here telling you about Swain and these newbs from Whiteville are yakking their jaws about a team and conference they have no clue about. Keep believing that Swain has no clue how to handle speed and athleticism.

Originally posted by NCBlueWonderz:
Hey gal durnit....here is a complete listing of all our accomplishments in State Championships....as you can see we've been there 6 times...and should have been there a couple of other times when we just feel a little short and were upset.

Whiteville Wolfpack State Championship appearances and results...FYI
1938 - State Runner-up to Mt. Airy in state Class B football title game under Coach Paul Powell Sr. a WV native.1939 [/B]- State Runner-up to Forest City in state Class B baseball title game. Star Player was Charlie Ripple Sr.
1965[/B] - State 2-A Champions in Football by acclamation * after defeating Pender High in Eastern 2-A Final. Star players were James Smith & Charlie Ripple Jr. Wolfpack Head Coach was Buck Jolly, former co-captain Wake Forest Football 1959 *see below for explanation of 'acclamation'.[/B]
1969 - State 2-A Basketball Champions defeated Hendersonville in state 2A basketball title game, 6'10" Reggie Royals star player...played for the FSU Seminoles then drafted by Philadelphia 76ers & the NY Nets. Actually played for San Diego Conquistadores of the ABA.
1971 - State Runner-up to Wake Forest-Rolesville in 2A Championship basketball game. Star player was 6'8" Center Warren Lennon.
1981 - State Runner-up to Randleman in 2A football Championship game...Star Player was HB Terry Paige.
1982 - State Runner-up to North Moore in 2A girls softball Championship series
1982 - State Runner-up to Randleman in 2A football Championship game...Star player was QB Brian Watts
1983 - State Champions defeated Piedmont in 2A baseball Championship series...star player was Of George Threadgill.
1984 - State Runner-up to Forest Hills of Marshville NC in 2A football Championship game...Star player was QB Heath Hewett
1985 - State Runner-up to Cherryville in state 2A basketball Championship game...star player was Patrick Lennon
1985 - State Champions defeated Randleman in state 2A Championship baseball series...star player was pitcher Tommy Hammonds
1986 - State Champions Won state 1A-2A golf championship, Monroe was runnerup
1987 - State Runner-up to Southwest Guilford in State 1A-2A golf championships
1987 - State Champions defeated Thomasville in state 2A football championship game 14 - 12. Coached by Bill Hewett...Chester McGlockton star player...played for the Clemson Tigers then in NFL for LA Raiders, Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs & NY Jets.
1989 - State Champions defeated West Stanly for state 2A baseball series championship Star player was
1991 - State Champions defeated C.D. Owen of Black Mountain for state 2A baseball series championship, Pitcher Tommy Greene was Star player drafted by the Atlanta Braves later pitched a no-hitter for the Philadelphia Phillies.
1992 - State Runner-up to Cherryville in baseball 2A series championship games
1995 - State Runner-up to Lexington in state 2A Championship basketball finals
1998 - State Runner-up to Eastern Randolph in state 2A baseball series finals
1999 - State Champions defeated West Caldwell for state 2A basketball Championship, Chris Wilcox star player...Played for the Maryland Terrapins then in the NBA for the Seattle Supersonics, the Detroit Pistons, the Boston Celtics & the LA Clippers.
2000 - State Champions defeated Northwood of Pittsboro for state 2A basketball Championship
2011 - State Champions defeated Randleman of Randolph County for state 2A baseball Championship
2014 - State Champions defeated East Surry of Pilot Mountain for state 1A baseball Championship
2014 - State Runner-up to North Stokes of Danbury NC in State 1A girls softball Championship
* 1965 - State Championship by acclamation: In 1961 the NCHSAA decided to ban 'Championship Games in Football'. This was enacted supposedly because of travel costs. The ban lasted from 1961 until 1971. The HS Superintendents, Principals, Coaches & Players were against this ruling and appealed the decision in court. Even going so far as to sue the NCHSAA. In 1965, the NCHSAA was forced by court decision to begin declaring a Champion and to again start Championship Football Games no later than 1971. The 1965 Whiteville Wolfpack was then acclaimed by the NCHSAA the 1965 State Champions in 2-A Football due to being the only undefeated team in 2-A football with a record of 13 - 0. [/B]

The Whiteville High Wolfpack track team won eight Eastern NC 2A championships in the 1980s and 90s, Having never won a Track & Field Championship, the Pack did have three third-place finishes in the overall team standings for their best showings in the state 2A Track meet.

This post was edited on 11/22 4:16 PM by NCBlueWonderz
Well, I guess we can go ahead and CROWN them the winners.

Shaking in my boots right now.

This post was edited on 11/22 5:21 PM by Kazuma

Swain fans get there early and tail gate the game. Great atmospere and pre game music. They play at a legion stadium. Its not the atmosphere of the smokey mnts but pretty good for an eastern school

Originally posted by Themayor569:
IMO, Whiteville will win by 3 TD's. I realize that sounds incredibly cocky, but The Pack has won 9 strait in a split 1A/2A conference. Swain has 2 loses to smaller schools ( although very good small schools ) & Whiteville's only 2 loses are to very good 2A schools. I just dont think Swain has faced the caliber of athletes Whiteville has & their def will struggle. Swain allows almost 15 ppg while they only score 25; Whiteville scores 37 ppg but only allows 10 & thats deceiving bc most games were over by halftime. And the 1st team Def hasn't allowed a point in the last 4 games. Assuming we don't make any of the bonehead mistakes we made in the first half last night, it'll be over by halftime. Enjoy the seafood while you're here, it'll be the highlight of your trip.
Lol, Swain lost to the defending 1A champion, undefeated Robbinsville and undefeated 2A Franklin, all of which are still playing and could most likely beat Whiteville.

When I say you haven't played athletes like Whiteville has, I quite literally mean you haven't played athletes like Whiteville has. Our RB is 6th in the state in rushing & is higher in ypc. Last night he broke the single season rushing record for a school that has produced many great RBs. If you think that's laughable, go down to your stadium, weight room, practice facility or wherever your coach is watching film today and ask him.

Diablo: if we can cut down on turnovers Friday and get by a good Whiteville team then maybe our 2nd year coach will save some time outs this year at wm in case he gets a 1st down inside wm's 30 yard line again with the game on the line! no surprises in 3rd or 4th rounds as swain has seen starmount & west teams and I think Whiteville coach has albemare connections!
furious.r191677.gif

Hey gal durnit....here is a complete listing of all our accomplishments in State Championships....as you can see we've been there 6 times in football...and should have been there a couple of other times when we just feel a little short and were upset.

Whiteville Wolfpack State Championship appearances and results...FYI
1938 - State Runner-up to Mt. Airy in state Class B football title game under Coach Paul Powell Sr. a WV native.1939 [/B]- State Runner-up to Forest City in state Class B baseball title game. Star Player was Charlie Ripple Sr.
1965[/B] - State 2-A Champions in Football by acclamation * after defeating Pender High in Eastern 2-A Final. Star players were James Smith & Charlie Ripple Jr. Wolfpack Head Coach was Buck Jolly, former co-captain Wake Forest Football 1959 *see below for explanation of 'acclamation'.[/B]
1969 - State 2-A Basketball Champions defeated Hendersonville in state 2A basketball title game, 6'10" Reggie Royals star player...played for the FSU Seminoles then drafted by Philadelphia 76ers & the NY Nets. Actually played for San Diego Conquistadores of the ABA.
1971 - State Runner-up to Wake Forest-Rolesville in 2A Championship basketball game. Star player was 6'8" Center Warren Lennon.
1981 - State Runner-up to Randleman in 2A football Championship game...Star Player was HB Terry Paige.
1982 - State Runner-up to North Moore in 2A girls softball Championship series
1982 - State Runner-up to Randleman in 2A football Championship game...Star player was QB Brian Watts
1983 - State Champions defeated Piedmont in 2A baseball Championship series...star player was Of George Threadgill.
1984 - State Runner-up to Forest Hills of Marshville NC in 2A football Championship game...Star player was QB Heath Hewett
1985 - State Runner-up to Cherryville in state 2A basketball Championship game...star player was Patrick Lennon
1985 - State Champions defeated Randleman in state 2A Championship baseball series...star player was pitcher Tommy Hammonds
1986 - State Champions Won state 1A-2A golf championship, Monroe was runnerup
1987 - State Runner-up to Southwest Guilford in State 1A-2A golf championships
1987 - State Champions defeated Thomasville in state 2A football championship game 14 - 12. Coached by Bill Hewett...Chester McGlockton star player...played for the Clemson Tigers then in NFL for LA Raiders, Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs & NY Jets.
1989 - State Champions defeated West Stanly for state 2A baseball series championship Star player was
1991 - State Champions defeated C.D. Owen of Black Mountain for state 2A baseball series championship, Pitcher Tommy Greene was Star player drafted by the Atlanta Braves later pitched a no-hitter for the Philadelphia Phillies.
1992 - State Runner-up to Cherryville in baseball 2A series championship games
1995 - State Runner-up to Lexington in state 2A Championship basketball finals
1998 - State Runner-up to Eastern Randolph in state 2A baseball series finals
1999 - State Champions defeated West Caldwell for state 2A basketball Championship, Chris Wilcox star player...Played for the Maryland Terrapins then in the NBA for the Seattle Supersonics, the Detroit Pistons, the Boston Celtics & the LA Clippers.
2000 - State Champions defeated Northwood of Pittsboro for state 2A basketball Championship
2011 - State Champions defeated Randleman of Randolph County for state 2A baseball Championship
2014 - State Champions defeated East Surry of Pilot Mountain for state 1A baseball Championship
2014 - State Runner-up to North Stokes of Danbury NC in State 1A girls softball Championship
* 1965 - State Championship by acclamation: In 1961 the NCHSAA decided to ban 'Championship Games in Football'. This was enacted supposedly because of travel costs. The ban lasted from 1961 until 1971. The HS Superintendents, Principals, Coaches & Players were against this ruling and appealed the decision in court. Even going so far as to sue the NCHSAA. In 1965, the NCHSAA was forced by court decision to begin declaring a Champion and to again start Championship Football Games no later than 1971. The 1965 Whiteville Wolfpack was then acclaimed by the NCHSAA the 1965 State Champions in 2-A Football due to being the only undefeated team in 2-A football with a record of 13 - 0. [/B]

The Whiteville High Wolfpack track team won eight Eastern NC 2A championships in the 1980s and 90s, Having never won a Track & Field Championship, the Pack did have three third-place finishes in the overall team standings for their best showings in the state 2A Track meet.
This post was edited on 11/22 4:31 PM by NCBlueWonderz
Lol ya'll want a cookie? Swain is young this year, but I promise you they will not come intimidated. I'm sure this will be a great game. I highly doubt it be a blowout, unless Swain commits fumbles like they've been prone to do this season. But don't get on here chest thumping about what you've accomplished in state titles when Swain has won more than you've even been to lol.

Not my intent @ all by posting this Pollo_Loco & Kazuma...just answering an earlier post by Diablo and Gal durnit when they stated that they had many championship appearances...this was JFYI and theirs.

This post was edited on 11/22 4:44 PM by NCBlueWonderz

Not my intent @ all by posting this Pollo_Loco & Kazuma...just answering an earlier post by Diablo and Gal durnit when they stated that they had many championship appearances...this was JFYI and theirs.

That's understandable. I have alot of respect for Swain. I've grown up despising them as a conference rival, but I've seen the program they have and you have to respect it. I would love to watch this game, but I will be in Robbinsville watching my Bulldogs secure a spot in the WesternRegional Championship for the 4th year
party0030.r191677.gif

OK.....Try posting something other than a laundry list of state runner ups covering everything from volleyball to tiddleywinks for crying out loud!

I didn't say anything about our state title appearances until someone said we have never seen athletes like y'all have and I said that was laughable. We see athletes like y'all have for decades and year after year in the playoffs. We have won most but came out on the short end a few. We have always fielded less athletes and speed than most teams we face in the playoffs but we have done pretty good as proof of our overall record. I am by no means belittling the players you have this year especially your running back. Don't try and spin it into that at all and make it sound like we don't know what's coming. We have been here many times. We have won many times. We have lost some too. It happens. We are not some Johnny Come Lately program. Trust me we no how to prepare and we are looking forward to the challenge. Like I have said, you guys have an amazing team and could very well smash us but it won't be because we were blown away by your speed and standing in awe of your athleticism. It will be because you executed better than we did. Now if we come out and play smart, play disciplined and hold on to the ball, well you guys will be in for a scrap as it should be in the 3rd round of the playoffs. We are limping into this game with injuries to a few key players but we will give it all we can and play hard to the end. That's all we can do. Either way the sun is coming up the next day hopefully.

Just Football.... nothing else matters at this point of the Football season.

1979 State 2A Champs
1985 State 1A Champs
1988 State 1A Champs
1989 State 1A Champs
1990 State 1A Champs
2001 State 1A Champs
2004 State 1A Champs
2011 State 1AA Champs

oh, State runner ups

Just saying..... oh and our Second place teams have won some titles too. Noting this the SMC still has 3 teams running in the playoffs. Yes, ya'll have a great team and this Swain team is overachieving. But the game isn't played on paper and do ya'll like big hits? Swain does... just saying. Just ask any folks that's played a Swain team in the past 30 years.

Originally posted by olddevil71:
Diablo: if we can cut down on turnovers Friday and get by a good Whiteville team then maybe our 2nd year coach will save some time outs this year at wm in case he gets a 1st down inside wm's 30 yard line again with the game on the line! no surprises in 3rd or 4th rounds as swain has seen starmount & west teams and I think Whiteville coach has albemare connections!
furious.r191677.gif
Honestly, this team has to be the biggest bunch of over achievers ever to put on a Devil uniform. I just don't know how they continue to win with all the injuries and mistakes this season. Maybe the football gods will smile on the Devils one more time and allow a mistake free game for the first time this season. Nothing easy the rest of the way.

BTW, WHAT DOES THE INJURY SITUATION LOOK LIKE THIS WEEK?

All is good NCBlue, just like talking a little smack before a good game. Yes I think it will be a tough game and yes we are really young and not our normal size. Probable lost one of our older key platers as well. Swain fans will travel well so we'll see you Friday nite.

Diablo: It appears devils will be the underdog again with some losses and sloppy play coming in but also the 9-4 mountaineers was the only team above .500 that the wolfpack has beaten in 2014? I think em was 4-8.
devil.r191677.gif

Not bragging but when u see packs speed u will know what Mitchell and EM saw first hand. With Whiteville u can't
go buy who they played. I don't see any 1A team beating
this Wolfpack team. Maybe last year u could but a kicker
one of the best. I was on the middle school coaching
staff,in 8 grade he could kick and did 35 yards. Now
he can go 40--42 yards. This is a big plus in a close game. QB Carr is playing his best football now. He is
very fast,and looks to help open Luke's play book even
further. Maning was leaving players on ground trying
to tackle him last night. He is a load,low center of gravity and runs very low. If your team tackles these to
Two consistently and you win u will deserve this game
and will win it all. Did I mention Carr can pads the
ball also. They do have total package. I look forward
to seeing this game. I hope u guys are all healthy I
Like to see a good game. Safe trip to all from Swain.

Goto...for the last time...we have seen speed before trust me. This is nothing new at all to is in this stage of the playoffs. Lmao! WE ALWAYS PLAY TEAMS FASTER THAN US in the playoffs. We got it. Fast and athletic. We will load up and drive down anyway and try our luck. Seriously people...every year it is the same thing. I guess, West Montgomery, Monroe, Ayden Grifton, Southside, Currituck, Jordan Matthews, Burlington Cummings none of these guys had athletes or speed either. News flash...y'all will be much faster than us. Y'all will be much more athletic than us. If y'all had world class speed like y'all have been saying seems like we would have faced y'all some where along the way through the DECADES of winning state titles and accumulating more playoff wins than any other program in the state. All that being said you guys have a solid team and will be playing a gutty bunch of banged up youngin's Friday. If y'all win we will congratulate you. Hopefully you won't treat this as the Super Bowl. The 3rd round is great but still a LONG LONG WAY from a state title. Trust me coming from a program with 8 of them. Good luck Maroon Devils and Wolfpack. I just hope we play disciplined football to give ourselves a chance.

It was a classic Deanna. Good luck to y'all this week. Much respect to the rams and the warriors.

Good luck to Swain and safe travels , proud for you guys make the SMC proud Friday night .

Originally posted by Themayor569:
When I say you haven't played athletes like Whiteville has, I quite literally mean you haven't played athletes like Whiteville has. Our RB is 6th in the state in rushing & is higher in ypc. Last night he broke the single season rushing record for a school that has produced many great RBs. If you think that's laughable, go down to your stadium, weight room, practice facility or wherever your coach is watching film today and ask him.
Deion Johnson of Murphy is faster than anybody on Whiteville's team, Swain has seen speedy skill guys before. They may not have seen the team speed Whiteville has this season but they've seen skill speed, trust me.

Well coach Morris told the Whiteville folk Friday that Swain is another kind of animal from what pack has seen thus far. He thinks u will line up blow pack off ball.
This might happen. He has played u guys before when he
was at albemerle. He has won a few State championships
himself. He says it will be very physical and the pack may not have played a team this strong. Come straight at you every down,I'm speaking of this years team only (gal dangit). I'm just responding to your post. Whiteville can be beat,your team might be the one to do it this
week. I know you won 8 State titles and that is remarkable. Solid program there,but this year is
special,I think. Looking forward to seeing u this
Friday.~

Should be a great test for both sides. This is by far not a power house Swain team but we will line up and hit you. Plagued by turnovers all year which is very uncharacteristic for us. I contribute that to our youth and playing 2-3 QB's at times this year. I hope we can execute cause I would love to see a good game. If we play like we did Friday it will be ugly for us. Good luck to the Pack. Looking forward to some good eats and better football from both teams.

This post was edited on 11/22 8:21 PM by gal durnit

This never ceases to amaze me. You could take the posts from Eastern teams this year,last year,the year before and so on and just change the schools name.Swain/Murphy and if they win Friday Robbinsville has never seen speed and athletes like you will see when you play OUR school. Really ? They hear it every year and more often than not the opposing team is at basketball practice on Monday.Whiteville you may win it all,but be very glad you are catching Swain this year.

Aside from being big and strong, what's Swains strength? I honestly don't know much about you given the distance.

Kinda of tired of hearing about the speed from down East versus the SMC teams, they know how to adjust, being doing it for years. I've seen it more than once. You Down East teams may jump out fast, but they adjust fast. By the way, Doesn't Whiteville have those 2A numbers against a SMC 1A squad. Not going to be a walk-away some on another site are predicting.

Originally posted by Strick68:
Sounds to me that they are the only team in NC that can hit someone.
That is what the SMC is known for. Has always been speed of the east vs. smash mouth football of the west. Look at how many titles the SMC has won vs this "speed" of the east. Seriously, it's nothing that hadn't been seen before. Swain, Murphy, and Robbinsville all have defenses that will lay some crushing hits. I'm not over exaggerating. I was able to watch Havelock a few weeks back while on a trip for work and they impressed me with the speed they have, but I swear the hits were harder at the Murphy-Robbinsville game last month (just my opinion). I've heard stories from teams in the 60's, 70's, and 80's and how when it came to the state title game the eastern teams and fans came into the game thinking they would just out run the SMC teams to a title, but after about a quarter of having the wood laid them you could see hesitation in their running. This is the second most interesting game I think this coming week. Wish I could be in two places at once!

if you think you are going to beat Swain with speed, you will be disappointed. The notion that mountain teams are slow has been dispelled as a myth year after year by SMC teams. Anyway, it is a moot point, because you cannot run through a brick wall by hitting faster. Good luck finding a hole to run fast through. Last year, Swain played WM without their MLB and FS. That was two positions in the middle of the defense, holes at two levels. That won't be the case this year. Swain has plenty of speed, and reaction time at all 11 defensive positions that is as good it gets. If you beat them, it won't be because you out ran them. You will not find a Swain defenseman out of position. You won't run around them, either. They are solid and plenty quick on the perimeter. If you cannot move them out of the way, you will be frustrated all night.

Gal Durnit...In reading the middle part of your post where you state that you would have faced us somewhere in the past somewhere along the way if we were as good as some of what the pro-whiteville posters were posting we were...the answer to that is simply that we've always been 2-A since the NCHSAA went to multiple A classifications in the 50's leaving the previous A,B & C classifications. Last year was our first year ever in Class 1-A and had it not been for James Kenan's great ball club we might have made to the state finals last year in 1-A. The West used to be really tuff but the East has turned the corner on the western teams with all the speed & quickness that the West teams lack. You can be big & tuff but I'll take speed anytime over either bigness or toughness. Still glad to be play the Maroon Devils with all your tradition and looking forward to seeing you all @ Legion Stadium this coming Friday night.

Dubman I hear you. As a north stanly fan last year I spoke up for WM to the swain fans about out scoring the Warriors. Although I was dead on, I came to west and watched a solid west offense out score the maroon Devils. But when I left that field after having never seen swain county, one word stuck with me, HEART! That team in the west region finals had heart and more never say die attitude than any team WM had faced! Jk was just plain had too much in the sc game. Whiteville thinks they will win with athletes those athletes better have more than speed, they better have the heart of a Warrior. I will say this without McCoy swains behind the 8 ball. With McCoy swain will win in a close game McCoy is a difference maker. He almost beat west last year. BEAST on the football fileld! without McCoy the Wolfpack face the warriors for the west region title.

I get the impression that it seems that this will be a game between a small fast Whiteville team and a big slower Swain team. Looking at the roster it seems that Whiteville, has 4 linemen in the 270 range, linebackers in the 200 - 220 range and a corner in the 190 range. As far as the young vs experience argument it looks like Whiteville starts 2 freshmen and 2 sophomores on defense. two other freshmen see action. These two teams along with Mitchell should be in the conversation for the next couple of years. I have not been able to see the rb from Princeton, I have seen Murchinson from E. Bladen several times and the Manning kid is the best rb I have seen in years. Watched him hurdle a defender with a tackler on his back Friday night. Would love to hear what the Mitchell fans thought about him.

Originally posted by Deana_King:
This should be a great post to follow this week.

Posted from Rivals Mobile
Yes it will be...lol!

I think there are valid points on both sides of the argument:

Whiteville is having one of those seasons that Wolfpack fans will remember for years to come, and there is no doubt that the Manning kid is a talent that comes along once in a couple decades or so, and will be a real force for the Maroondevils to try and slow down this coming friday?...I personally think the difference could be the Whiteville defense, and whether or not they can shut down the Swain offense as Murphy did a few weeks ago?

Much like Diablo stated earlier, Swain really shouldn't be in this position this year with all the youth and inexperience, which is a testament to the Coaching Staff at Swain...

You can look at Stats all day long, but there is NO stat for preparation, and that is, and what has been the difference in many a playoff outcome thru the years for the Maroondevils....They have, and seemingly always have had one of the premier coaching staffs in the state regardless of the classification....

I too would love to see this game this friday because on paper....Whiteville should destroy Swain!...As mentioned earlier, games are not played on paper, and opponent score comparisons also will not reflect how Swain will play this friday so far from home in Whiteville....If the Maroondevil players listen and perform as their Coaches instruct them, they will have a chance to beat Whiteville this friday....If the mistakes and penalties as mentioned by Gal Durnit and other Swain fans in this thread happen this week, the Wolfpack will move on to the Western Final...

As a fan of the SMC, I have a tremendous amount of respect for how Swain County runs their football program, and I will be rooting for the Maroondevils this friday!

Go Maroon Machine Go!

This year's version of the Maroon devils is not quite the one that folks saw last year playing West Montgomery in the Western Region finals. Despite not having McCoy, I do think that the devils can find a good hitter to fill his spot and the defense can still put a damper on the Whiteville offensive scoring machine, but they will probably break loose a few times. Swain's offense...? who knows? It's all about what goes on in the trenches... and the ability to break loose a big play just once or twice during the game. I think Whiteville will score 3-4 times, question is, will the devils be able to put up points as well?

Now about turnovers. I was just a little concerned way early in the season at how many fumbles the devils were prone to have, and their inexplicable propensity to repeatedly jump offsides. "but that can be coached away" I told myself. Then during the big conference games, I watched them fumble and jump offsides even more, "we'll get that fixed by playoff time" I secretly hoped. And now in the playoff games, we seem to be fumbling and having more flags thrown at us during each game than a typical Devils team will suffer all season. The hoped-for fix never came. This will be a hard game to win if we continue to stall our drives with penalties. Near impossible to win if we cant get a better grip on the rock.

BUT, I really didnt think we would be able to get past Mt. Airy either. I hope it's a good-un!

NCBLUE,

Didn't mean any disrespect just saying I honestly had never heard of y'all before this season. Y'all being 2a explains it I guess. Like many others have said we are extremely banged up and young this year. This is a good year to catch the devils but we will show up and fight til the end.

Jungle Jim,

How is coaching going to help us hold on to the ball? We have had a ton of unforced turnovers this year. I contribute that to youth and also running a 2 and sometimes 3 QB system this year. Hard to gain rhythm and hard to build offensive chemistry that way but I trust our coaches more than any in the state. Penalties and turnovers have plagued us all year which is way out of the norm. This is the youngest team Coach b has ever had. Is that a coincidence? Not at all. The other night against Avery I saw something with all the personal fouls that bothered me. We have to play smart and those plays were rightfully called and several of those were by the same player. Play smart and help your team. Some of our guys and their actions on the field could have cost us the other night and they will cost us this week if they are repeated.

I think the wild card in all this is Thanksgiving. With school being out for several days prior to the game, how will the boys respond. The advantage there clearly goes to Swain. Your staff should have a good handle on how to keep the players focused given the fact that they are use to playing this late in the season. The travel distance will factor in as well. Franklin (who had ~100 less miles to travel) left on Thurday. Does anyone know what Swains travel plans are?

Just a little side note for you Swain fans. Whiteville's new Superintendent is from Murphy,so if they want to know about SMC football they should talk to him. I am sure he is very familiar with it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT