ADVERTISEMENT

Swain Transfer

remember him from last year; saw where he had been hurt late; saw on his twitter account he was reclassifying....tough loss

Sounds like a dumpster fire over across the hump. I can’t believe the young man would transfer. It’s not like he’s going to have a better chance of going somewhere after high school. And the chances of winning a state championship are even more slim... oh well, I hate it for the team and kids that they are letting down by him transferring.

These Charter schools will eventually ruin all public schools, this ain't Chicago or New York, we dont need them in western NC I personally think you should play win or lose where you live, you either win or take your whipping with your buddies

Reactions: BK13T-$
These Charter schools will eventually ruin all public schools, this ain't Chicago or New York, we dont need them in western NC I personally think you should play win or lose where you live, you either win or take your whipping with your buddies
Christ School is an all male private school that plays in the private school division, not a charter school.

"I will always be a Maroon Devil," Sain said in a Twitter post. "I am going to continue to represent Swain County and make them proud of my future accomplishments."

Well, no he won’t be a Maroon Devil. He will be a Greenie. It’s that simple. Can’t be both. I have no problem with him choosing the path he wants and truly wish him the best. He was a MD, and a great one at that, but as soon as he transfers he’s no longer a Devil. Good luck to Sain and the Greenies.
And as always Go Big Maroon! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: BK13T-$ and Mhsneer
Well we just look at the football part but the end result of being a college athlete except for the very small percentage that makes it professionally in sports is to get a degree and hopefully a good job (without college debt) so if going to a private school helps him both academically and with sports to get into college that's good. I don't know what kind of student he is but some of the students that chose this path to not only help them in their sport to get noticed but academically as well, I've know of kids who were athletic enough to play college but didn't have the grades, plus if a college degree is his goal and he's even willing to repeat a grade to achieve that then good for him.

Reactions: DaBluePrint1
I have been told It costs 35000 a year to go to Christ school.Guess he's going for free to play ball just like college.I don't blame him for doing this and wish him the best.
I do blame Christ school and I hope Murphy and all other WNC stop playing them.

Christ School is an all male private school that plays in the private school division, not a charter school.
Private schools in general I guess I should have said, some places they are greatly needed, not so much in the Asheville area, they have plenty of schools, but I guess whatever rocks their boat

Private schools in general I guess I should have said, some places they are greatly needed, not so much in the Asheville area, they have plenty of schools, but I guess whatever rocks their boat
I get where you're coming from but Christ School has been around for over 100 years, people are only talking about them now because they finally decided to get serious about their football program.

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
I remember when Christ school was the whipping post for most area schools in football and basketball.

I can't blame the kid or his parents for this decision , Christ is a college preparatory school it's a college atmosphere with small class numbers and if you're a good football player you can reclassify and get another year of eligibility , I hear they had over 70 college recruiters and coaches come threw there this spring looking at kids that's huge for these kids and look at how many they get into college , I'm tired of mountain kids not getting any good looks from good college's it happens every year up here and it's just not right Christ is the only school up here get kids constantly get kids in college ,even if not in sports but with grades how can you say it's not right for a family to take this opportunity I think it's great for them and wish them luck, I also remember when they were the home coming whipping boy for everyone including us ,but boy the times have changed ,just my opinion

Reactions: Swaindad40
I have been told It costs 35000 a year to go to Christ school.Guess he's going for free to play ball just like college.I don't blame him for doing this and wish him the best.
I do blame Christ school and I hope Murphy and all other WNC stop playing them.

Well that's what I was thinking but according to thier football coach in an old article the school does not offer athletic scholarships, that the parents of a student transferring can apply for needs-based financial aid. According to Christ Schools website tuition for a Day Student is $28,855 and the average day student receives $14,066 in financial aid and a boarding student tuition room and board is $54,335 with an average FA of $29,840 so that leaves $14,789 and( $24,495 which is still between $5500- $6000 more per year then it was for my daughter per year at NC State including her dorm room and books) and that doesn't include books.

Last edited:
I still think 1a or 4a if your good enough recruiters will find you , the D2 and D 3 schools dont get out and recruit like the D1s do ,you need to actually get out and visit on your own , D1 you have to be elite and that includes size.Funny story ,Dukes offensive coordinator at our school a few days back we are standing in the gym talking and boys basketball starts practice ,he comments on two kids that could play college football with their length and athletic ability and asks coach if they play ,coach says 1 does but they want to be basketball players ,his comment was i dont see in any basketball recruiters here.

You have to also look at the big picture on advantages of private and charter. The reason I switched my kid to a charter was the curriculum. I don't know about all,but you will be hard to find a public high school that offers the curriculum of Thomas Jefferson (hated my kid didn't get in that one). The school she got into starts AP courses in 9th grade, almost everyone graduates with a 2 year in Applied science degree which they actually receive that degree before they receive their high school diploma. So they automatically go into a university as a junior. My daughter's goal require many years of university and with her being in sports,she is looking at not only getting her junior and senior year of college paid,but also her master's in her 4 years of eligibility to play sports. You have to look at what percent of a school's student go on to technical and universities and I know at one point,TJ had close to 98% and I believe I saw that this past year it was 91% and they had a very high career and college readiness grade.

Reactions: Squirrel Gravy
You have to also look at the big picture on advantages of private and charter. The reason I switched my kid to a charter was the curriculum. I don't know about all,but you will be hard to find a public high school that offers the curriculum of Thomas Jefferson (hated my kid didn't get in that one). The school she got into starts AP courses in 9th grade, almost everyone graduates with a 2 year in Applied science degree which they actually receive that degree before they receive their high school diploma. So they automatically go into a university as a junior. My daughter's goal require many years of university and with her being in sports,she is looking at not only getting her junior and senior year of college paid,but also her master's in her 4 years of eligibility to play sports. You have to look at what percent of a school's student go on to technical and universities and I know at one point,TJ had close to 98% and I believe I saw that this past year it was 91% and they had a very high career and college readiness grade.

I've said this in other places, some charters are great schools academically and I don't ever fault a parent for making a better path for their kid. The athletics fallout will have to be dealt with somehow, but my biggest issues are 1) how traditional schools are getting shorted when they already needed more support, and 2) there should be higher requirements/accountability for charters than currently exists.

As far as private schools, well, good for that students family I guess. At least the private schools don't have to compete against them if they don't want to and it is private money that funds them.

Reactions: BK13T-$ and btango
I've said this in other places, some charters are great schools academically and I don't ever fault a parent for making a better path for their kid. The athletics fallout will have to be dealt with somehow, but my biggest issues are 1) how traditional schools are getting shorted when they already needed more support, and 2) there should be higher requirements/accountability for charters than currently exists.

As far as private schools, well, good for that students family I guess. At least the private schools don't have to compete against them if they don't want to and it is private money that funds them.
I would not have a problem with charters playing up a classification. I don't really see it as the traditional school's getting short changed. A big issue that I have researched on is the school systems management of the monies they recieve. There are some administrative jobs that exist and some even created that are not needed. Ex. I believe it was this past year when a job was created for an assistant superintendents spouse in Charlotte-meck that paid more than the teachers. The job had something to do with county nutrition program that wasn't needed and did very little work.

I still think 1a or 4a if your good enough recruiters will find you , the D2 and D 3 schools dont get out and recruit like the D1s do ,you need to actually get out and visit on your own , D1 you have to be elite and that includes size.Funny story ,Dukes offensive coordinator at our school a few days back we are standing in the gym talking and boys basketball starts practice ,he comments on two kids that could play college football with their length and athletic ability and asks coach if they play ,coach says 1 does but they want to be basketball players ,his comment was i dont see in any basketball recruiters here.

My senior year at Mitchell we had 3 D1 players, one sophomore and two seniors both who went on to be all ACC and one second team all American, but we did have a coach who played for NC State himself, was good at promoting players he knew could play at that level. But you'll see teams say we have this many D1 players well that doesn't always mean another team doesn't athletically have players who couldn't play D1 , some don't want to go to college they have other plans or some simply don't have the grades, I've known of boys that ACC schools has talked to but they didn't have a high enough GPA or SAT to get in, most ACC schools require around a 4.0 GPA. So as I mentioned before I'd say for some of these kids ( not necessarily the young man this threat is about) transferring to private schools and taking a grade over is as much getting the GPA & SAT up as much as anything.

I wonder what the percentage of kids that go for academics and how many for athletics, when their players started calling our big lineman to come to Christ school academics was not mentioned.
It's the kids job to recruit other kids with the "athletics" pitch... It's the coaches, administrators, and other athletes parents job to present the "academic" pitch to the new recruits parents... At that age, most high school kids don't have any idea what's in their best interest. Whether they think they do or not. Nor at that age do many of them care about anything besides athletics, girls, and social media. So, often the decision is not made by them. But instead, by their parents who presumably have their own kids future and success in mind, and not what the local community thinks is in the best interest for them. I don't know this kid, but good luck to him on his future endeavors. Certainly a bold move that will inevitably earn him a few haters a long the way, albeit undeservingly. No offense intended by any means, but a diploma from Christ School carries a lot more weight than a diploma from Swain High School in the real world. Kudos to him and anyone else who do things to better themselves always.

Last edited:
It's the kids job to recruit other kids with the "athletics" pitch... It's the coaches, administrators, and other athletes parents job to present the "academic" pitch to the new recruits parents... At that age, most high school kids don't have any idea what's in their best interest. So, often the decision is not made by them.

Christ School recruits, it is what it is. I've not heard one single person say they were contacted by them for academic reasons only. (We would like to have you because you would make a fine addition to our academic student body,,,,, NO LOL). The ONLY advantage to going there would be for the extra year. If you're good enough to play at the next level they will find you. They found Mugharbil at Murphy, he didn't find them.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Better get to used to it, it's a different time now. Kids aren't as concerned anymore with tradition and representing their town. It's become highly competitive getting recruited these days. Hoping to just get found isn't necessarily going to work anymore. There is an incredible amount of work that goes into it now.

A lot of kids fall through the cracks because of that. They are going to start looking at programs that get their players recruited to higher level schools and better prepare them for the next level. They'll want to play for that coach who seems to have the connections to get them better choices and offers.
Kids are going to do what they feel is best for them long term.

You are going to start to see this with players jumping to other traditional schools as well as privates and charters. It will become more the rule than the exception moving forward. It's happened at colleges for years, it was only a matter of time before it trickled down to high school. Whether fans like it or not, these kids owe us nothing, they need to do what's best for them.

Reactions: Freshmanposter01
Christ School recruits, it is what it is. I've not heard one single person say they were contacted by them for academic reasons only. (We would like to have you because you would make a fine addition to our academic student body,,,,, NO LOL). The ONLY advantage to going there would be for the extra year. If you're good enough to play at the next level they will find you. They found Mugharbil at Murphy, he didn't find them.

Probably a stupid question, but if it gains a kid an extra year could he have stayed at Swain his senior year and then transferred and repeated his senior year instead of graduating?

Probably a stupid question, but if it gains a kid an extra year could he have stayed at Swain his senior year and then transferred and repeated his senior year instead of graduating?
I do know of a basketball player that was a senior,finished the high school season and then transferred to a private and repeated senior season. That was some years ago though.

Reactions: CherokeeKid
Reynolds had a kid a few years ago tear his ACL in the preseason of his senior year, then transfer to Christ School and get another senior season. But he didn't actually play his senior season at Reynolds, and I think he transferred before he had completed his senior school year at Reynolds. Under that one scenario, I think reclassing is a good thing.

Reactions: CherokeeKid
Dont fault the kid but I DO fault any wnc school that plays Christ school..... Like having a sign over the hen house sayingcome on in and steal our best lol...

Reactions: BK13T-$
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT