ADVERTISEMENT

Swain Murphy, let’s do the rest of the board a favor and keep it all in here!

KevinFromSwain

May 30, 2001
Far in'em thar hills
Gut check time, Swain is at home and playing fair ball right now. Murphy has been beating up on everyone! The only loss came to a school that compete with any school this side of Asheville! Chat about the hows and why’s right here, Swain is my pick but I am a homie.... Line play wins the day. Swain’s defense hasn’t giving up a lot of points either! I don’t think, could be wrong...if someone will tell me quickly, Swain starting Dee hasn’t been scored on in a few weeks now.

On paper I pick Murphy.
Home field is huge in this game though.
2 yrs ago Swain won this game but shouldn't have. Murphy was 3tds better. This year its closer.
Throw in the Murphy lineman that has to sit and its a hard pick.

Not to mention Gentry looking to break the win record, fireworks in Bryson Friday night.

Murphys last win in Bryson City takes us all the way back to 2005.
On talent should've had a few more since then, no question. It's a very hard place for Murphy to win though, it might even be the toughest. It's a close call between BC and the Pit in Franklin.

Last edited:
Reactions: CherokeeKid
On paper I pick Murphy.
Home field is huge in this game though.
2 yrs ago Swain won this game but shouldn't have. Murphy was 3tds better. This year its closer.
Throw in the Murphy lineman that has to sit and its a hard pick.
Have to wait and see on lineman, if a disqualify was factor he can play, but state review if it was a ejection, which could be overturned,. Cause the call was pure BS

Reactions: Gps62
Call was justified and the right call he deserved to be ejected now does he deserve to be suspended probably not.

Call was justified and the right call he deserved to be ejected now does he deserve to be suspended probably not.
Ok since you wanna come here and whin to, right call was not call, bet you still suck ur thumb

Go to nursing home by Hayesville school let them whip ur a@@, cause you are a crybaby, you need your blankey

Did you not read what I said and I love how Murphy posters are all resorting to name call and personal attacks very mature. I was at the game, it was the right call, but with no punch thrown or fighting he probably doesn't deserve a suspension, it doesn't mean he won't get one though. All in all it was a dumb play that hurt his team.

Did you not read what I said and I love how Murphy posters are all resorting to name call and personal attacks very mature. I was at the game, it was the right call, but with no punch thrown or fighting he probably doesn't deserve a suspension, it doesn't mean he won't get one though. All in all it was a dumb play that hurt his team.
Did you hear what i said, right call was not called, you can be butt hurt or want to throw in oh Murphy fans personal attacking me, well you must be a new generation baby that oh mommy they hurt my feeling type, can't stand up and be a man, pathitic

If you think that was an overly aggressive or violent play, then the simple fact is you havent watched alot of football. The fact is the refs did NOT blow the whistle until the pile had been pushed backwards 20 yards. No excuse for that from the officials. The kids are taught to play until they hear the whistle blow. Murphy lost a game against rville a few years back on a very similar play. The kids in rville that night let go of the runner and he ran 70 yards or so. The play cost Murphy the game and home field in the playoffs, if my memory serves me correctly. In my opinion that play should be chalked up to human error. The refs error. I have no clue why they let the play go on for so long without blowing the whistle. The Murphy kid should not be punished for literally playing the game the way it is supposed to be played. By that I mean until the whistle blows. I realize the parents and fans of that kid are mad about him getting slammed to the ground. I would be mad also, especially if that were my child. But the fact is that it's the refs responsibility to end the play and keep that sort of thing from happening and they did not. I say take it up with the refs and not blame the kid. He was just doing his job. I would also like to add that I have seen many similar plays over the years and dont recall anyone ever getting thrown out.

Ok With the kid getting to play.......Murphy’s or Swain who will control the LOS and why.

Thats a good question , and honestly I haven't seen alot of Swain this year but our line is pretty banged up . I think it will be a determining factor in the ballgame.

Honestly I feel like we are better than Swain but I have seen Swain play way over there heads in the Devil's Den .

Should be an interesting game Friday.

If you think that was an overly aggressive or violent play, then the simple fact is you havent watched alot of football. The fact is the refs did NOT blow the whistle until the pile had been pushed backwards 20 yards. No excuse for that from the officials. The kids are taught to play until they hear the whistle blow. Murphy lost a game against rville a few years back on a very similar play. The kids in rville that night let go of the runner and he ran 70 yards or so. The play cost Murphy the game and home field in the playoffs, if my memory serves me correctly. In my opinion that play should be chalked up to human error. The refs error. I have no clue why they let the play go on for so long without blowing the whistle. The Murphy kid should not be punished for literally playing the game the way it is supposed to be played. By that I mean until the whistle blows. I realize the parents and fans of that kid are mad about him getting slammed to the ground. I would be mad also, especially if that were my child. But the fact is that it's the refs responsibility to end the play and keep that sort of thing from happening and they did not. I say take it up with the refs and not blame the kid. He was just doing his job. I would also like to add that I have seen many similar plays over the years and dont recall anyone ever getting thrown out.
Very well put ! Should have never happened the refs should have blown the whistle alot earlier . But did see the Hayesville Coach run to the ref and from what I heard told the ref that the MHS player needed to be ejected. Football is turning into flag football. If the boys get a good hit on someone I don’t know how many times fans and Coaches from the other teams have booed about a good hard hit screaming targeting helmet to helmet or some other bs call. I hope Friday night the refs let those kids on both sides play football like it should be played!!! Like football between the Dogs and Devils should be played hard nose good ole SMC football! If you don’t want your kids to get hit then have them play another sport! Go Big Dogs !!!

I personally do not agree with suspending kids an extra game. What is the point if they were ejected from the game then that’s punishment enough unless it happens 4th quarter no way they should be suspended for the next game as well. Even then the first half of the following game is plenty. They are high school kids they make mistakes football is an emotional game and your games are numbered the state shouldn’t take away their opportunity to play the game unless it’s a drastic issue!!!

I think swain wins this game. It’s gonna be a slobber knocker. And it’s gonna be a close game. I think swain being the home team helps them out in this one.

Reactions: KevinFromSwain
Very well put ! Should have never happened the refs should have blown the whistle alot earlier . But did see the Hayesville Coach run to the ref and from what I heard told the ref that the MHS player needed to be ejected. Football is turning into flag football. If the boys get a good hit on someone I don’t know how many times fans and Coaches from the other teams have booed about a good hard hit screaming targeting helmet to helmet or some other bs call. I hope Friday night the refs let those kids on both sides play football like it should be played!!! Like football between the Dogs and Devils should be played hard nose good ole SMC football! If you don’t want your kids to get hit then have them play another sport! Go Big Dogs !!!
Well you heard wrong he was screaming at them for not blowing the whistle. The reason he was tossed from the game was because of pile driving motion he took the quarterback down to the ground. It is the same as a backwards suplex they are trying to eliminate both at all levels. I hope they just wrote it as a disqualification so the young man can play!

Well you heard wrong he was screaming at them for not blowing the whistle. The reason he was tossed from the game was because of pile driving motion he took the quarterback down to the ground. It is the same as a backwards suplex they are trying to eliminate both at all levels. I hope they just wrote it as a disqualification so the young man can play!
He was finishing a tackle both were falling to the ground.I guess the players on the field heard wrong too. Yes the refs were the cause of it . But thanks for hoping he gets to play .

He was finishing a tackle both were falling to the ground.I guess the players on the field heard wrong too. Yes the refs were the cause of it . But thanks for hoping he gets to play .
Well I was out there with him and saying the same thing.

Ok With the kid getting to play.......Murphy’s or Swain who will control the LOS and why.
Well both lines are pretty much the same as last year and we all remember how that went. I think the big difference will be Swain's new OC, Scottie McMahan. Big upgrade over old OC. Plus, Swain is at home. Close game. Dogs 27 Devil's 21.

Well I was out there with him and saying the same thing.
So you was on the field with him didn’t look that way only one coach went to the ref . Anyway enough with this it’s Devils vs Dogs! The Dogs handed you a butt kicking so I’m done with this ! We all will know Monday what the decision is on the Murphy player . Like I said before I know Swain want gripe or scream to the refs about hard hits and good hard nose football! They want try to cut below the knees every play like some other teams just saying! I hope the refs let the boys play football the way it should be played in the SMC ! Good luck to both teams ! Go Big Dogs !!!

Good grief guys. We can’t change the call. Whether it was dirty or not we don’t know. That’s all in the head of the one delivering the hit. It’s over and done with. Murphy won easily regardless. That didn’t change the outcome of the game. It actually should have helped Hayesville if anything but it didn’t. Move on from it and talk about Swain and Murphy.

Gut check time, Swain is at home and playing fair ball right now. Murphy has been beating up on everyone! The only loss came to a school that compete with any school this side of Asheville! Chat about the hows and why’s right here, Swain is my pick but I am a homie.... Line play wins the day. Swain’s defense hasn’t giving up a lot of points either! I don’t think, could be wrong...if someone will tell me quickly, Swain starting Dee hasn’t been scored on in a few weeks now.

Swain will win.

So you was on the field with him didn’t look that way only one coach went to the ref . Anyway enough with this it’s Devils vs Dogs! The Dogs handed you a butt kicking so I’m done with this ! We all will know Monday what the decision is on the Murphy player . Like I said before I know Swain want gripe or scream to the refs about hard hits and good hard nose football! They want try to cut below the knees every play like some other teams just saying! I hope the refs let the boys play football the way it should be played in the SMC ! Good luck to both teams ! Go Big Dogs !!!
WOW all the Hayesville ppl agree that Murphy dominated so why cant yall get over it, ive never heard a team whine about a 48 point win as much as you guys, you dominated as you should have congrats, that one play yall are tore up over yes it should have been a Personal Foul it was 30 yards from line of scrimmage but a Ejection NO bc the refs couldnt find the whistle, all of hayesville agrees the player shouldnt be suspended so stop blaming us we lost by 48, and suck it up we didnt eject the player the refs did

I have never been one to value head to head vs common opponents because it is not dependable when predicting the outcome of a upcoming game. But just for a simple non valuable comparison:
Swain 3-0 (101-21) 80 point differential and all 21 points came with subs in the third and fourth quarters.
Murphy 3-0 (95-42) 53 point differential and I’m not sure how many points came with Murphy subs in the games.
But I do value feedback from opposing teams because the eye tests are more valuable when comparing live action between teams. Common opponents are Franklin, Life Christian Academy and Andrews.
What are their thoughts between both teams? Or anyone else that has seen both teams?

Well both lines are pretty much the same as last year and we all remember how that went. I think the big difference will be Swain's new OC, Scottie McMahan. Big upgrade over old OC. Plus, Swain is at home. Close game. Dogs 27 Devil's 21.
It may be the same personnel but this Swain line is not the same as last years. Looking forward to a nice match-up between two historical teams. Edge goes to Swain in this one and not just because of home field advantage. I believe Swain holds the edge over Murphy this decade being 5-4 against the Dogs.

Swain should be favored, they're a senior laden team playing at home. This is their opportunity, what they've been building towards for three years. There is no next season with the whole o-line and front seven on defense being seniors.

The fact that Murphy is even in the discussion, with only 3 seniors starting on either side of the ball, is a testament to the coaching staff and the talent this school puts out year after year. This is essentially a rebuilding year for Murphy and they're still in the thick of things.

I don't have a preference or an axe to grind with either, so I feel I can be objective. Having saw both play a common opponent, there's no doubt in my mind that Swain is the better team. Murphy is good defensively, Swain is better. Murphy is strong on their lines, Swain is stronger. The only advantage I saw that Murphy might have is in the number of pure athletes, but beyond that, Swain looked much better.
That all might be true, we'll find out soon. I'd note Murphy played Andrews without 3 starting lineman though.

Last edited:
I don't have a preference or an axe to grind with either, so I feel I can be objective. Having saw both play a common opponent, there's no doubt in my mind that Swain is the better team. Murphy is good defensively, Swain is better. Murphy is strong on their lines, Swain is stronger. The only advantage I saw that Murphy might have is in the number of pure athletes, but beyond that, Swain looked much better. With that said, Coach Gentry and the Dogs will make it a ballgame and not go down without a heck of a fight. It's gonna be an exciting and interesting game for sure.
Swain is pretty athletic on the outside this year, something they haven't had in a few years. I'd put Hyatt, Jones, Groenwold, Lossiah, Sain, Brooks and Taylor against anyone in the SMC athletically.

Reactions: Swaindad40
I have never been one to value head to head vs common opponents because it is not dependable when predicting the outcome of a upcoming game. But just for a simple non valuable comparison:
Swain 3-0 (101-21) 80 point differential and all 21 points came with subs in the third and fourth quarters.
Murphy 3-0 (95-42) 53 point differential and I’m not sure how many points came with Murphy subs in the games.
But I do value feedback from opposing teams because the eye tests are more valuable when comparing live action between teams. Common opponents are Franklin, Life Christian Academy and Andrews.
What are their thoughts between both teams? Or anyone else that has seen both teams?

For the love of all things holy not this comparison garbage again.

Murphy had a good chance of winning in 2017, but I'm sure a lot of people remember the famous fumble play where the Murphy kid ran the ball the wrong way. That play was about as weird as it gets for the emotional state in a game. Do you cheer because it was in our favor, laugh, say nothing, feel sorry for the kid? Just strange.

Murphy had a good chance of winning in 2017, but I'm sure a lot of people remember the famous fumble play where the Murphy kid ran the ball the wrong way. That play was about as weird as it gets for the emotional state in a game. Do you cheer because it was in our favor, laugh, say nothing, feel sorry for the kid? Just strange.

That was one thing I never thought I'd see live. You have to feel sorry for the kid, but outside of Murphy (and maybe Bryson City, if anybody there knows who he is) it's likely forgotten by now.

I told Cardinal at the time that the kid should get free ice cream for life after that. (I even offered to pay for it. :) )

Last edited:
This isn't a prediction, but the team that can pass most effectively will win in my opinion. Neither running game is strong enough to get it done against the other team's defense without making the defense respect the pass.

Reactions: therealsquid
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT