ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball strongest 1A west field ever?

mbdfan

Mar 17, 2007
I can't personally recall a deeper 1A west field than this one. You have four 1A west teams ranked in the top 45 in North Carolina regardless of classification according to MaxPreps (for comparison sake that's same amount of teams in the top 45 as the entire 2A classification).

Among these four teams: Uwharrie Charter, Murphy, North Stanly, East Surry, they have one loss combined, that being East Surry's loss to Forbush, the #13 ranked 2A team in the state.

It should be a fun 1A playoffs, the 1A east is traditionally stronger but this looks like it could be the year for the west.

Last edited:
Reactions: catwithstripes
Half way through the season. Looks to be very tough. I'll be curious to see who posts the first playoff projection. The 48 team bracket will be interesting.

I'm still not sold on Maxprep rankings, especially since no one knows exactly how they work and the NCHSAA won't disclose that info to coaches statewide. Still, there's a lot of talent in Western NC 1A this year. Let's see if those 4 teams mentioned above all end up making a deep run. There's usually is also 1 surprise team that tends to make a deep run/gets hot at the end of the season (ex - North Stokes in 2017). I should be interesting.

I'm still not sold on Maxprep rankings, especially since no one knows exactly how they work and the NCHSAA won't disclose that info to coaches statewide. Still, there's a lot of talent in Western NC 1A this year. Let's see if those 4 teams mentioned above all end up making a deep run. There's usually is also 1 surprise team that tends to make a deep run/gets hot at the end of the season (ex - North Stokes in 2017). I should be interesting.
I haven't seen East Surry play but I saw North Stanly and Uwharrie Charter play last year and they were both the real deal, the two toughest teams Murphy played until the title game. I know both those teams returned a ton from last year's squad, as did Murphy.

East Surry has a very deep pitching staff, the ace is a junior who is committed to ECU, the #2 has signed with Lenoir Rhyne, and the #3 and #4 would be aces on most other teams. They also have some very good hitters in the lineup, but are not deep 1-9 hitting. The loss to Forbush is weird because it was a 1-1 game until the rain came, they had to finish it on another day with a different pitcher for East.

Reactions: mbdfan
Murphy has a great team this year. The only think that might hurt but not much is conference this year is terrible. I have ? For Murphy fans does your kids play travel baseball, I know a lot of them play other sports as well? Just curious.

Yes there are some players who play travel ball for Murphy. You are correct in the conference being down this year. Murphy has played some teams out of conference that are decent, and still have 2 games against Fannin Co Ga. Also a big game against Smoky Mtn on April 26th. Smoky Mtn is ranked #7 in 2A so this should be a great game. Murphy has some quality pitchers, but imo, the offense is what could ultimately win the Dogs a state championship. There will be some very tough matchups in the playoffs, so nothing is a given.

Yes I hate to see conference down real shame. I think you guys have great chance at state good luck.

Reactions: MHS-88
For what it's worth (and I know it's really way too early to take projections seriously), but if the playoffs started today, the East/West cut line would be between North Moore (last team in the West), and Chatham Central (first team in the East)....in the past we have seen teams such as South Robeson, Roxboro Community, West Columbus, Voyager Academy, etc. in the West, and this still could happen of course as more scores roll in and the teams in and out of the playoffs change, but as of right now, South Robeson does not appear to be headed for the playoffs, and the others listed appear to be in the East, (at least they would be if the playoffs started today)...and if there is a shift, then Chatham Central would go West before Roxboro Community...this is of course if I'm projecting correctly (which I'm not ready to publish yet, just too many games left, and I still need to get some qualifying and seeding questions clarified as they relate to split conferences

Murphy has some quality pitchers, but imo, the offense is what could ultimately win the Dogs a state championship. There will be some very tough matchups in the playoffs, so nothing is a given.
I agree. Murphy has good enough pitching to win it all but no true "ace" IMO. The older Barolet boy is committed to Gardner Webb as a pitcher and throws really hard and has the most potential at the next level because of his ability to throw serious gas. Irwin is committed to Lawson State CC and is extremely consistent, he won't "wow" you with speed but he has good breaking stuff and rarely has an off game. Curry is also a very solid pitcher and is committed to Western Carolina, but as an infielder, not a pitcher. Murphy's #4 and #5 pitchers have both thrown no hitters this year, but against very weak competition.

Murphy's bats are big time, there's no easy outs 1 thru 9 and you have multiple kids in the lineup with real power. I obviously haven't seen every 1A team in the state but I doubt there's a 1A team out there with a better hitting lineup 1 thru 9 than Murphy.

Last edited:
NWest might have some separation after this week. East Surry plays South Stokes while Mt. Airy plays North Stokes.

It's a little early (2 weeks before Conference Tournaments/3 weeks before brackets are released), but does anyone have any early playoff projections based on current records/standings?

Reactions: TigerDen2
East Surry will be the 1 seed and North Stokes will likely be the 2 seed out of the Northwest Conference. East Surry just beat a very good 4A Reagan team today in non conference action. East Surry/Murphy might just be the western regional final.

East Surry will be the 1 seed and North Stokes will likely be the 2 seed out of the Northwest Conference. East Surry just beat a very good 4A Reagan team today in non conference action. East Surry/Murphy might just be the western regional final.
I think your right about western final. I got to watch East Surry play earlier, looked good. I know Murphy has strong team as well will be a battle.

Lots of teams out there in the West that can make a run. Murphy and East Surry are looking good, but don’t look past Uwharrie Charter, Lincoln Charter, and North Stanly...each of those teams also have a strong case to make it to the Western Finals.

Last edited:
Murphy has a great team this year. The only think that might hurt but not much is conference this year is terrible. I have ? For Murphy fans does your kids play travel baseball, I know a lot of them play other sports as well? Just curious.
For someone that’s not a “FAN” of travel ball you sure do ask about it a lot.

Gwwhitired28772, I responded to you on the other thread travel ball. I don't won't this thread to get highjacked by us. Thanks.

Sorry auto correct. What I mean by highjacked is I didn't start this thread someone else did. I would be happy to continue discussion on the other thread I started out of respect for the other posters.

Anyone know how the split conferences are working and who is coming out of those? I can't figure out the new seeding system.
In basketball they changed it a little. Most split conferences had 1 automatic qualifier, but then the state rewarded the "next best" team as a 3 seed. During basketball they seeded all 1 seeds, then all 2 seeds, then all 3rd place teams, then all 4th place teams...even if they weren't automatic qualifiers. During football they seeded all automatic qualifiers by level (1st place, 2nd place, etc), then seeded all non-AQ's as wild cards based on maxpreps rankings. Pretty crappy to make that change after just 1 sporting season rather than let it play out for the entire year to see if it was a major problem or just an anomaly. It seems the NCHSAA can't figure out just how much weight/emphasis they want to give to maxprep rankings.

Sorry auto correct. What I mean by highjacked is I didn't start this thread someone else did. I would be happy to continue discussion on the other thread I started out of respect for the other posters.
Both of you stay on topic. Do not get another thread shutdown.

Reactions: TigerDen2
Anyone know how the split conferences are working and who is coming out of those? I can't figure out the new seeding system.
The new seeding system the state does is crazy. Does anyone know if state plans to change this for next year?

Give me a couple of days/weeks
Ok, I have a working draft (1A & 2A, East & West), check it out at this blogspot link ...note the disclaimers in that, 1-I could have somebody's record wrong, impacting conference finish, which would change who goes 1,2, (maybe 3), at large from a league, 2-I could have easily overlooked something, or misinterpreted a rule interpretation about qualifying for the playoffs, seeding, etc, 3-Above all, there are still a lot of big games to be played that can drastically alter the picture, teams listed here could get bumped out, teams not listed here could jump in, teams could shift across the East/West cut line, conference tournaments could see a team otherwise not in the playoffs jump in, bumping out an at-large team (though this year, one of the changes is that team will be seeded in the at-large tier, not the tier of 2s; and for what it's worth, in girls basketball two months ago, that happened in 2 conferences where teams that finished the regular season 5th, looking out of the playoffs, got hot in the conference tournament and won three in a row to qualify for the playoffs

News and Observer hasn't looked at any conference standings yet. They based theirs simply on Adjusted MaxPreps rankings.

As far as split conference: A team must finishing in the top 3 of the overall conference and have a winning % greater than .500 to receive a 1 seed for their section of the split. If they do not meet those requirements, they are given the seed where they are physically located in the conference standings.

For Example: In 3A/4A Eastern Carolina, New Bern and South Central are the only 4A teams in the conference. Neither team is in the top 3 of the conference, therefore, they are place where they are in the standings which is 5th and 6th.

Hope that makes sense and sorry for the long post.

News and Observer hasn't looked at any conference standings yet. They based theirs simply on Adjusted MaxPreps rankings.

As far as split conference: A team must finishing in the top 3 of the overall conference and have a winning % greater than .500 to receive a 1 seed for their section of the split. If they do not meet those requirements, they are given the seed where they are physically located in the conference standings.

For Example: In 3A/4A Eastern Carolina, New Bern and South Central are the only 4A teams in the conference. Neither team is in the top 3 of the conference, therefore, they are place where they are in the standings which is 5th and 6th.

Hope that makes sense and sorry for the long post.
Mine did look at conference standings, but I have not updated after Tuesday night's games yet, give me a few hours

Reactions: Eagles/Trojans13
A bit premature for that kind of talk. Uwharrie Charter and N Stanly are more than good enough to beat either on a given day.
I'd add teams like Lincoln Charter & Cherryville to that list as well. Can't count out teams like Pine Lake Prep, North Stokes, South Stanly, or North Moore either. It should be an interesting playoff this year.

Murphy looking good heading down the home stretch, absolutely destroyed a very solid 3A Fannin County GA team 11-1 this evening. Fannin County ranked #12 in Georgia 3A Maxpreps rankings.

'Dogs schedule is weak but they proved their mettle in last year's playoffs (which the majority of this year's team was a part of) and have followed through against the legit teams on their schedule this season: Franklin and Fannin County GA.

'Dogs still have their toughest regular season game by far ahead of them: 2A Smoky Mountain next Thursday. Smoky Mountain are the #7 ranked 2A team in NC and #36 overall according to Maxpreps. A convincing win in that one would be big, could get Murphy back in the picture for home field advantage in the playoffs (right now that's East Surry, according to Maxpreps rankings).

Last edited:
If the weather cooperates the smoky mountain conference champion will be decided tomorrow evening when Rosman goes to Murphy. I know Murphy pounded the tigers the first game but regardless if Rosman were to win it would make a tie for first place, if not Murphy wins in outright.

If the weather cooperates the smoky mountain conference champion will be decided tomorrow evening when Rosman goes to Murphy. I know Murphy pounded the tigers the first game but regardless if Rosman were to win it would make a tie for first place, if not Murphy wins in outright.

Looking forward to this game, should be a good one.

If the weather cooperates.
Unfortunately I'm not sure it will. Based on the forecasts I've seen the Rosman game could be in jeopardy (unless they rescheduled it for Wednesday) as well as the Smoky Mtn game on Thursday.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I'm not sure it will. Based on the forecasts I've seen the Rosman game could be in jeopardy (unless they rescheduled it for Wednesday) as well as the Smoky Mtn game on Thursday.

Im hearing this game is rescheduled for this Saturday @ 1:00.

Last edited:
Reactions: mbulldogalum23
The Murphy/Smoky Mtn game scheduled for this Thursday will not be played. Murphy will be playing Cherokee in a make up game instead. Really disappointed this game isnt going to happen.

Last edited:
That’s stinks for Murphy. A win over a high ranked 2A Smokey Mtn might have added enough strength of schedule for them to leap East Surry for the top spot in the Maxpreps rankings.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT