ADVERTISEMENT

Strike 3 or what?

wtxycolor

Oct 25, 2006
Two strikes on batter and two outs, runners on second and third. Next pitch is in the dirt and batter checks his swing (or did he?). Ball gets away from the catcher. Runner on third breaks for the plate. Catcher recovers the ball, dives towards plate to make the tag, but runner is called safe. The batter never leaves the home plate area except to avoid the incoming runner. He is never tagged nor is a throw made to first base. Time is called by coach of defensive team to ask for a conference with ump on the check swing. Can the field ump now say the batter swung at the pitch? Since time is out, he can't be put out since the ball was not caught cleanly and he was not tagged or a throw made to first and he did not "give up" his right to run by going to the bench area.
Most agree the batter did swing. Fortunately (for the umpires and the team that scored) the field umpire did not rule a swing so this conundrum did not present itself. It easily could have. Your thoughts, opinions, rulings?

What was the initial ruling by the plate umpire, swing or no swing?
No call at all, which was determined by everyone watching to be "no swing". The pitch getting away and the runner coming to the plate in quick succession kept any opportunity for an appeal to the field ump to take place until after the play at the plate.

No call at all, which was determined by everyone watching to be "no swing". The pitch getting away and the runner coming to the plate in quick succession kept any opportunity for an appeal to the field ump to take place until after the play at the plate.
In my opinion, which is just that, the field umpire could call the batter out if he felt it was indeed a swing.
As you say above it is an appeal play so if ruling is an out there would be no advancement by runner on the play. My opinion would be that by not attempting to run to 1st, which he should have, the batter then could be considered out on the spot basically killing the play at that point.

In my opinion, which is just that, the field umpire could call the batter out if he felt it was indeed a swing.
As you say above it is an appeal play so if ruling is an out there would be no advancement by runner on the play. My opinion would be that by not attempting to run to 1st, which he should have, the batter then could be considered out on the spot basically killing the play at that point.

If we talking opinions, not rules, the base ump should have agreed with home ump when asked and everything would have been OK.

If we talking opinions, not rules, the base ump should have agreed with home ump when asked and everything would have been OK.
9 times out of 10 field will agree with plate. If for no other reason than to keep everybody quiet.

But that one time causes for things to get interesting at a baseball game.

Occurred at an ER game recently. Resulted in 3rd base coach ejection.

9 times out of 10 field will agree with plate. If for no other reason than to keep everybody quiet.

But that one time causes for things to get interesting at a baseball game.

Occurred at an ER game recently. Resulted in 3rd base coach ejection.
Or plate ump should have said no swing end of conversation. I am surprised only the 3 rd base coach got tossed.

Or plate ump should have said no swing end of conversation. I am surprised only the 3 rd base coach got tossed.
Got tossed because of new rule where coach can only talk to plate.

Think he knew rule just wanted to make his point. Thought his batter checked but I thought he went around from my point of view near 1st base dugout,

Coaches/schools have to pay a fine now so ejections are more rare.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT