ADVERTISEMENT

State Top 25 Ratings for 9/14/21

mrhonda

Nov 12, 2012
As always happens, we had some movement in the ratings this week. There are four new teams in the top 25.
Each team's record and where they were rated last week are in parenthesis. If a team has "NR" next to its name, the team was not in the top 25 last week.

The ratings are as follows:

1. Chambers (4-0) (1)

2. Hough (3-0) (2)

3. East Forsyth (3-0) (3)

4. Cardinal Gibbons (3-1) (6)

5. Grimsley (3-0) (4)

6. Cleveland (3-0) (8)

7. Myers Park (2-2) (10)

8. Ardrey Kell (3-0) (16)

9. Weddington (3-1) (9)

10. Richmond (3-1) (11)

11. Butler (1-2) (12)

12. Mallard Creek (1-1) (5)

13. Wake Forest (3-1) (7)

14. West Forsyth (2-1) (15)

15. Charlotte Catholic (2-1) (13)

16. Rolesville (2-2) NR

17. Davie (3-0) (17)

18. South Mecklenburg (3-1) NR

19. Glenn (1-1) (14)

20. Porter Ridge (2-0) (22)

21. Reagan (1-2) (20)

22. Mount Tabor (2-1) NR

23. Marvin Ridge (2-1) (23)

24. Leesville Road (3-0) (18)

25. New Bern (4-0) NR

New Bern at 25?!?!?!? Smh……..
Except for Maury, who have you played? Two 2A teams and a winless Broughton team. Again, this isn't a pole, it's a rating. Weren't even in the top 25 last week.

Last edited:
Reactions: UNC91
Except for Maury, who have you played?
Lawd, that's my music! Was waiting on that, thank you.

Now is it who have you PLAYED, or who have you BEATEN?

You had South View top 20 last week after wins against Overhills and Hoke.

You had Mallard Creek top 5 with a win over Providence.

You had Rolesville unranked last week but they fly in these rankings like a bat out of hell after a win against Hillside.

Leesville Road is ranked higher than New Bern after wins against Wakefield, Panther Creek and Southern Durham.

Butler #11 after their lone win against 1-3 Oceanside SC

Porter Ridge #20 after wins against Rocky River and West Cabarrus

Reagan #20 after their lone win against North Davidson

I can go on but I think you get the point. You had Maury top 5 in 5A, are you saying Overhills, Hoke, Providence, Hillside, Wakefield, Panther Creek, Southern Durham, Rocky River, West Cabarrus, North Davidson etc is a better win over top 5 5A Maury?

Now before folks comment that rankings don't matter etc. I just need clarification.

Explain yoself.

Last edited:

You had Rolesville unranked last week but they fly in these rankings like a bat out of hell after a win against Hillside.

Leesville Road is ranked higher than New Bern after wins against Wakefield, Panther Creek and Southern Durham.

I can go on but I think you get the point. You had Maury top 5 in 5A, are you saying Overhills, Hoke, Providence, Hillside, Wakefield, Panther Creek, Southern Durham, Rocky River, West Cabarrus, North Davidson etc is a better win over top 5 5A Maury?

Now before folks comment that rankings don't matter etc. I just need clarification.

Explain yoself.
He hung a curve

He hung a curve
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Explain yoself.
You still haven't explained yoself. Besides Maury, who wouldn't be ranked near as high right now in North Carolina, who have you played?

You still haven't explained yoself. Besides Maury, who wouldn't be ranked near as high right now in North Carolina, who have you played?
You know who we've played otherwise you wouldn't have asked me.

Are these rankings based on who you play or who you have beaten?

How many of these teams is a better win than Maury.....Overhills, Hoke, Providence, Hillside, Wakefield, Panther Creek, Southern Durham, Rocky River, West Cabarrus, North Davidson? Because I didn't see any of those teams high on your prestigious weekly rankings.

Again, explain yoself.

Can you also explain how Reagan, Rolesville, Mallard Creek, Butler are ranked this high and why Pinecrest isn't ranked?

Last edited:
IMHO…. If You are a 4A team (allegedly a contender) and you played 2 2A teams and one of the lowest ranked 4 a schools….. YOU SHOULD BE 4-0!!! You have proven nothing early. Likewise Cleveland should not be ranked that high being a 3-0 versus two 3A teams and and arguably one of the worst 4A teams. the combined record of Cleveland’s opponents is 2 wins 7 LOSSES

IMHO…. If You are a 4A team (allegedly a contender) and you played 2 2A teams and one of the lowest ranked 4 a schools….. YOU SHOULD BE 4-0!!! You have proven nothing early. Likewise Cleveland should not be ranked that high being a 3-0 versus two 3A teams and and arguably one of the worst 4A teams. the combined record of Cleveland’s opponents is 2 wins 7 LOSSES
LOL. Yea "allegedly", for sure. New Bern was one game away from the 4A State Title earlier this Spring while playing in the third round of the 4A State Playoffs the year earlier and just knocked off the 2019 5A Champs and gave them just their 3rd loss since December of 2018. Bunch of bums! All these other teams that have beaten Overhills, Hoke, Providence, Hillside, Wakefield, Panther Creek, Southern Durham, Rocky River, West Cabarrus, North Davidson etc definitely are the contenders. Appreciate it, Booner.

Last edited:
I was at two games new Bern was eliminated in and watched the replays. Newbern improved a lot, they have. But I don’t see them closing the gap on the top-tier 4A schools. Unless there’s a dramatic change which I didn’t see so far in there passing game. they will have tremendous success until things get tight. I really don’t think, I could be wrong, the Regional championship last year was as close as a score appeared. It just wasn’t. I believe the players are great, the problem is that disciplined teams can handle an optional fence. The top-tier for a schools are that way because they are disciplined. And when you couple that with some of the sophisticated spread passing schemes of today, if efficient they don’t need much time to score. Which means new berns attack plan of holding on to the clock and shortening the game just doesn’t work. At the higher level you’re facing teams that throw in through efficiently a lot. At the lower level 4A and 3A, it is run heavy and those teams can be neutralized with an option attack much easier. Richmond had to get away from the run and get some lucky place to catch a Butler team they didn’t need long drives by using the air, just last week week force physically dominant but their wing tea which is action in principle struggled against a team like a score quickly and once they fill two scores behind it was a struggle for them. Playing a disciplined team not many assignment break downs not many turnovers.

Last edited:
I think the for a East is wide open a new Bern is in that mix, but they are going to struggle against some teams that Play disciplined not overly aggressive defense and balance run and pass equally well.

FWIW, being consistent…. Who has Cleveland played that allows us to see how good they are?!?! No one.

To be fair to Cleveland, when their schedule was made they were a 3A team. They have been moved up to 4A this season.

I don't think it matters if you play a 2a or 3a team. Is that 2a team or 3a team legit? None of that fits that narrative, because the 2a teams new bern played aren't very good.

I don't think it matters if you play a 2a or 3a team. Is that 2a team or 3a team legit? None of that fits that narrative, because the 2a teams new bern played aren't very good.
One of those 2 A teams was a fill in game because 4A NH had to cancel. They wanted to play that week and took what they could get. I have no issue with that.

One of those 2 A teams was a fill in game because 4A NH had to cancel. They wanted to play that week and took what they could get. I have no issue with that.

That makes sense. People should take it easy on some teams, because of covid scheduling.

I was at two games new Bern was eliminated in and watched the replays. Newbern improved a lot, they have. But I don’t see them closing the gap on the top-tier 4A schools. Unless there’s a dramatic change which I didn’t see so far in there passing game. they will have tremendous success until things get tight. I really don’t think, I could be wrong, the Regional championship last year was as close as a score appeared. It just wasn’t. I believe the players are great, the problem is that disciplined teams can handle an optional fence. The top-tier for a schools are that way because they are disciplined. And when you couple that with some of the sophisticated spread passing schemes of today, if efficient they don’t need much time to score. Which means new berns attack plan of holding on to the clock and shortening the game just doesn’t work. At the higher level you’re facing teams that throw in through efficiently a lot. At the lower level 4A and 3A, it is run heavy and those teams can be neutralized with an option attack much easier. Richmond had to get away from the run and get some lucky place to catch a Butler team they didn’t need long drives by using the air, just last week week force physically dominant but their wing tea which is action in principle struggled against a team like a score quickly and once they fill two scores behind it was a struggle for them. Playing a disciplined team not many assignment break downs not many turnovers.
Gotcha. Have you watched the passing game this year? Hit on all their big throws for over 100 yards against a stout Maury team on Friday night. When they loaded the box, we took advantage. The new JR QB can sling it. Yea, you're losing me here. New Bern played CG pretty damn tight until the last half of the 4th quarter. No where in your post did you mention defense, which they have a lot of this year in addition to the new found passing attack I've mentioned. We'll see how this shapes out.

Fwiw, West Craven isn't terrible anyway. I'm sure you know that since its your area.
A lot of talent over there but COVID has hit them pretty hard this season. But some folks will just check maxpreps, see their record and proclaim that we played a junior high team.

You dont have to play a good team to know someone is good.
Im guessing if you have averaged over 10 wins per year in the school's history, just lost in the 3A state title game 24-16 WITHOUT the best RB in the state, then return most of your team including said RB as well as a QB who is a D1 commit, and then you SLAUGHTER your first 3 opponents, it can be reasonably determined that you are a very good team, unless the person attempting to determine this is stupid.
Cleveland is going to walk thru its regular season at minimum. They are a legit state title contender. It aint brain surgery.
Where everyone in the top 5-10 fits is to be determined, but the idea that not having played another great team has any bearing on how good you are in dumb. Sure, it may make it harder to determine just where EXACTLY you fit in, but I think relatively intelligent people can ascertain to an extent how good a team is.

WF won 3 state championships playing the way NB is playing. It is difficult to do, however it can be done at the 4A level.
That's the issue Charlotte Catholic is going to have in 4A, with no subdividing for the playoffs now. It worked well for them in 3A or even small 4A when it was subdivided. It'll be a different situation this season.

Rankings always play themselves out, and anything is possible. (Cleveland). Legit State Championship contender 4A???? They'll find out sooner than later.
That's the way I think. This is why I don't get bothered when someone comments pro or con with the type ratings I do. First, because they're ratings. It's merely a snapshot of where teams may be at the current moment, based on their schedule and how they played against that schedule. Second, fans are always high on their teams. That's the way it should be. They're fans, short for fanatics. Most often than not, fans' opinions of their teams are higher than what the teams actually performance has shown. This has gotten me in trouble more than I intended before. I'm not a fan of any particular team, so I often say things not as a fan, but as an outside observer. So, I'm usually not emotionally tied to a team. Third, you're dealing with 16 and 17 year old kids. Who in the heck knows how they're going to react and play from week to the next. Fourth, I agree totally with what Nepsy said. The playoffs have a strange way of ironing things out. Anything is possible. Regarding New Bern, could they be competive in the 4A playoffs? Sure they could. Could they go to the state finals or win a championship? Sure they could. Will they? I have no clue. I'm not a football prophet. But they could. The playoffs always clear things up.

That's the way I think. This is why I don't get bothered when someone comments pro or con with the type ratings I do. First, because they're ratings. It's merely a snapshot of where teams may be at the current moment, based on their schedule and how they played against that schedule. Second, fans are always high on their teams. That's the way it should be. They're fans, short for fanatics. Most often than not, fans' opinions of their teams are higher than what the teams actually performance has shown. This has gotten me in trouble more than I intended before. I'm not a fan of any particular team, so I often say things not as a fan, but as an outside observer. So, I'm usually not emotionally tied to a team. Third, you're dealing with 16 and 17 year old kids. Who in the heck knows how they're going to react and play from week to the next. Fourth, I agree totally with what Nepsy said. The playoffs have a strange way of ironing things out. Anything is possible. Regarding New Bern, could they be competive in the 4A playoffs? Sure they could. Could they go to the state finals or win a championship? Sure they could. Will they? I have no clue. I'm not a football prophet. But they could. The playoffs always clear things up.
To be fair, I also mentioned several teams, not just the one I pull for. I was curious how Mallard Creek, Leesville Road, Butler, Porter Ridge Rolesville, South View, Reagan etc were ranked where they were. I hear "who have you played other than a top 5 5A school?" Well, how about this team who is ranked top 5-15 that have beaten 1-3 schools or Overhills/Hoke etc.

To be fair, I also mentioned several teams, not just the one I pull for. I was curious how Mallard Creek, Leesville Road, Butler, Porter Ridge Rolesville, South View, Reagan etc were ranked where they were. I hear "who have you played other than a top 5 5A school?" Well, how about this team who is ranked top 5-15 that have beaten 1-3 schools or Overhills/Hoke etc.
So, where do you feel New Bern should be ranked, if you were doing them?

So, where do you feel New Bern should be ranked, if you were doing them?
Obviously #1, cause....#Fanatic. But I was more curious on where you rank that top 5 Maury win against wins against teams like Overhills, Hoke, North Davidson, Wakefield etc.

Rolesville has not 1, but 2 losses and wins against East Wake and Hillside. You had Maury top 5 in 5A (VA), are you that high on East Wake and Hillside?

Leesville Road is ranked higher than New Bern after wins against Wakefield, Panther Creek and Southern Durham. Are you that high on Wakefield, Panther Creek and Southern Durham?

Again, my questions aren't just aimed towards my team but all the ones above, too.

Reactions: remotecougar
Massey has New Bern at #22. Hough is #1, but I think that's because Chambers games haven't been updated. They're still listed at 0-0. Might have something to do with the name change.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT