ADVERTISEMENT

State Top 25 Ratings for 9/14/21

it’d be a coin toss

all i’m saying is, to date, gibbons has a 6 pt loss to #1 and marquee w’s over richmond and wake forest. hough’s got a solid w over myers park.

It was a genuine question. I don't really have a dog in the fight. Probably lean towards Hough. Gibbons does have a good resume to date though.

Reactions: strikerHHS
it’d be a coin toss

all i’m saying is, to date, gibbons has a 6 pt loss to #1 and marquee w’s over richmond and wake forest. hough’s got a solid w over myers park.
You play who’s on your schedule. I’m not a fan of Hough, and what they do on Bailey Road, but there’s not a team in the State that has pulled off what they’ve accomplished in recruiting. 😂😂😂 I would imagine your roster is a big part of rankings. CG is not in the same stratosphere, when comparing the two.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
Rankings ain’t this serious but what I will say west craven ain’t as bad as y’all think they are if they get healthy anyone in 2a better watch out cause they have some size and their qb look like he easily bout 230 and he runs that ball like a running back just gotta take them legs out

but I think havelock will test new bern the same way Maury did

I’m a havelock fan so of course ima think my team gonna win but we also have missed 2 good games because of Covid

I feel your pain but in the end polls and ratings/rankings don't mean a thing because in the playoffs winning is all that matters. If in December your team is still playing and the last one left....is the real goal. These polls are jus popularity and peoples opinions.

Rankings ain’t this serious but what I will say west craven ain’t as bad as y’all think they are if they get healthy anyone in 2a better watch out cause they have some size and their qb look like he easily bout 230 and he runs that ball like a running back just gotta take them legs out

but I think havelock will test new bern the same way Maury did

I’m a havelock fan so of course ima think my team gonna win but we also have missed 2 good games because of Covid
I think both teams will test each other tonight, per usual. Almost time.

Reactions: ItsJustWords252
I do think new bern should be ranked at least top 10

I’d put 1. Chambers or hough 2. Chambers or hough 3. CG 4. Richmond 5. Butler 6. New bern or Cleveland 7. New bern or Cleveland

but with that being said go havelock tonight make some bear stew I seen all that stuff on hsot

I do think new bern should be ranked at least top 10

I’d put 1. Chambers or hough 2. Chambers or hough 3. CG 4. Richmond 5. Butler 6. New bern or Cleveland 7. New bern or Cleveland

but with that being said go havelock tonight make some bear stew I seen all that stuff on hsot
Ya'll favored to win 30 something to 12 according to one of your boys on there! Hot damn!

• Haha
Reactions: ItsJustWords252
You play who’s on your schedule. I’m not a fan of Hough, and what they do on Bailey Road, but there’s not a team in the State that has pulled off what they’ve accomplished in recruiting. 😂😂😂 I would imagine your roster is a big part of rankings. CG is not in the same stratosphere, when comparing the two.

CG roster isn’t in the same “stratosphere” with Richmond or Wake Forest, either.

CG roster isn’t in the same “stratosphere” with Richmond or Wake Forest, either.
That would be a negative. There’s definitely a legitimate comparison between those 3 schools, with talent. Neither of the 3 have 15 D1 players on the roster. 🤷🏾‍♂️

That would be a negative. There’s definitely a legitimate comparison between those 3 schools, with talent. Neither of the 3 have 15 D1 players on the roster. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Richmond has at least 5 (including 2 in the 2022 Top 50). That’s 5 more than CG.

Gibbons, Richmond, Wake Forest are all good teams. There are a lot of good teams in NC. That's why I'm not terribly surprised to see Chambers beat Highland Springs or New Bern beat Maury. The gap between NC and VA in high school football is considerable. We have more good teams. With that being said, Hough has a lot more talent on paper than a lot of teams including Gibbons, Richmond or Wake Forest. Chambers has a lot. Mallard Creek usually has a lot. As we've seen, especially with Hough, that's not everything. But it makes any of those teams a tough out.

Reactions: strikerHHS
Jaleak Gates (36th) and JD Lampley (39th)

247 Composite NC Top 50 (class of 2022)

Gibbons could very well beat Hough. Like I said, I don't have a dog in the fight. And they've beaten some good teams. The reason I defaulted to Hough is because they're usually loaded with D1 prospects. As recently as last year, they had one of the best tailbacks in the country. This year they have a pretty good QB.

Gibbons could very well beat Hough. Like I said, I don't have a dog in the fight. And they've beaten some good teams. The reason I defaulted to Hough is because they're usually loaded with D1 prospects. As recently as last year, they had one of the best tailbacks in the country. This year they have a pretty good QB.

I definitely get where you’re coming from.

Evan Pryor was a stud. Top 100 recruit. Those kind of guys are special. Tad Hudson is super close to that level — #183 and #11 QB (nationally).

Richmond has at least 5 (including 2 in the 2022 Top 50). That’s 5 more than CG.
I'm not finding 5? CG is coming out of the East, so they'll have a shot to play in the Big Game. IMO they would be a very long shot, if they came out the West. Hickory Ridge, who's not a Top 5 team in Charlotte, gave Chambers a tougher game than Gibbons. The West is stacked.

I'm not finding 5? CG is coming out of the East, so they'll have a shot to play in the Big Game. IMO they would be a very long shot, if they came out the West. Hickory Ridge, who's not a Top 5 team in Charlotte, gave Chambers a tougher game than Gibbons. The West is stacked.
As of now… snooping on Twitter WF has 1 FBS offered (UNC) DL, all I see. Leesville road has on FBS commit (UNC) DL and one Ivy offered, CG has one FBS commitment (Duke), 2 FCS offered players and 1 class of 2023 FBS offered. That’s what I found on Twitter not complete . So that gives and idea of talent and with COVID last two year I’ll bet you’ll double that number of offered after the early signing when the second 2022 recruiting season starts for the regular signing day. Some players and schools hype offers and commits other focus on winning. A lot of the winning teams are full of DII, DIII very good players under the radar

Last edited:
Ranking are fun but playoffs count. Proof is the East, look at the steength of schedule disparity. Some of these top 10 4A East teams have yet to play a 4A team or one above .500. Some may not play one until the playoffs.

Ranking are fun but playoffs count. Proof is the East, look at the steength of schedule disparity. Some of these top 10 4A East teams have yet to play a 4A team or one above .500. Some may not play one until the playoffs.
Which teams are those?

A little more difficult to schedule 4A teams in the east. My guess is there are less than 9 4A teams east of I-95.

🔥 take: top 5 in East MaxPreps rank and rpi (str.):

CG 1 (21.6); Cleveland 2 (-4.6); Richmond 3(28.9); New Bern 4(-4.5); Pinecrest 5(10.1)

CG 1 (21.6); Cleveland 2 (-4.6); Richmond 3(28.9); New Bern 4(-4.5); Pinecrest 5(10.1)

Cleveland has a low RPI because they’ve played too bad for a teams in 238 teams. Newbern has a little RPI because they’ve played 2 to 8 teams one team from Virginia and a horrible Broughton 4A. For the rest of their season Newbern will play for three teams and one more 4A team Conley at the end of the season. So they will make the playoffs. Cleveland will straighten his self out they play 4A the rest of the way. I can’t fault New Bern for being in a mix 3A -4A conference. This is not an attack on them just presenting facts and why rankings are fun but playoffs or where it counts.

A little more difficult to schedule 4A teams in the east. My guess is there are less than 9 4A teams east of I-95.
Bingo. The nearest 4A team from New Bern is 95 miles over in Wilmington. We reached out to play Gibbons this year but they declined as they already filled that spot with Richmond. We were aiming for 4A New Hanover, 4A Cardinal Gibbons and 5A Maury (VA). Ended up playing 2A North Pitt due to covid protocols 72 hours before the New Hanover game and then 4A Broughton rather than 4A Gibbons. Guessing the New Hanover contract was a Home and Away so maybe we see New Hanover next year and another 4A team to replace Broughton in addition to the trip up to Norfolk to play Maury.

Havelock and Jacksonville have been big gate games for us (both are 20-35 miles away) for several years so I'm excited to branch out and play new opponents as those games are now conference games.

Cool stuff! Let's see how it all plays out as Havelock as only played 3 games and Maury only 2. In my opinion, both will end the season with 1 loss on their resume. This stigma that you're not a good team or will do well in the playoffs based on who you play is baffling.

Separating this and re-posting so that the message is clear-

I can’t fault New Bern for being in a mix 3A -4A conference. This is not an attack on them just presenting facts and why rankings are fun but playoffs or where it counts

Separating this and re-posting so that the message is clear-

I can’t fault New Bern for being in a mix 3A -4A conference. This is not an attack on them just presenting facts and why rankings are fun but playoffs or where it counts
Yep, we can't help where we're located or help that the nearest 4A team is 95 miles away. Like I said, we tried to play 4A New Hanover, 4A Cardinal Gibbons, didn't work out. If we were some new team on the block and haven't proven ourselves, I'd bite on that hot take but when you have 3 big boy titles and another handful of East Final appearances the last 15 seasons, I just can't bite that hard on it.

Reactions: Booner100
Don’t trust 247 when looking at talent. If you look through the years even at the FBS level probably half of the non-power 5 FBS/FCS recruits are never listed or starred on 247. 247 get their information from certain camps and publications if you don’t have the money or access you are not in those publications. Twitter is where the kids put out the information now. If you go to Twitter and search at the school and offer or commit you’ll see that some schools have zero players on 247 but many D1 FBS or FCS commits or offers via Twitter or snap

Don’t trust 247 when looking at talent. If you look through the years even at the FBS level probably half of the non-power 5 FBS/FCS recruits are never listed or starred on 247. 247 get their information from certain camps and publications if you don’t have the money or access you are not in those publications. Twitter is where the kids put out the information now. If you go to Twitter and search at the school and offer or commit you’ll see that some schools have zero players on 247 but many D1 FBS or FCS commits or offers via Twitter or snap

You don't even have to look at offers. Some schools send out a lot of offers that aren't even committable. This is Hough's '21 class:

RB Evan Pryor (Ohio St)
S Bralyn Oliver (Louisville)
WR Jesiah Davis (Virginia)
OLB Kaci Seegars (Texas A&M)
CB Mario Love (N.C. State)
S Sean Brown (N.C. State)
CB Tyrin Taylor (Colorado)
WR Coen Sutton (Appalachian State)
ILB Issac Walker (Georgia Southern)

Those are actual commitments. And that's just the seniors! Again, that doesn't necessarily mean they're going to win - that team didn't. But Gibbons, Richmond, Wake Forest, etc aren't rolling out a roster like that.

Reactions: Booner100
We have ONE PLAYER that has signed d1/ ECU.....All of our boys been here since the 6 th grade...Can some other big boys say that ...I didnt think so... Cant say winning draws them , because some havent won anything....Easy to get a big time team when U have 50,000 to pick from..and some people go after them.....

You don't even have to look at offers. Some schools send out a lot of offers that aren't even committable. This is Hough's '21 class:

RB Evan Pryor (Ohio St)
S Bralyn Oliver (Louisville)
WR Jesiah Davis (Virginia)
OLB Kaci Seegars (Texas A&M)
CB Mario Love (N.C. State)
S Sean Brown (N.C. State)
CB Tyrin Taylor (Colorado)
WR Coen Sutton (Appalachian State)
ILB Issac Walker (Georgia Southern)

Those are actual commitments. And that's just the seniors! Again, that doesn't necessarily mean they're going to win - that team didn't. But Gibbons, Richmond, Wake Forest, etc aren't rolling out a roster like that.
Hough has been putting out the mercenary roster for over 5 years. They choke every year.

We have ONE PLAYER that has signed d1/ ECU.....All of our boys been here since the 6 th grade...Can some other big boys say that ...I didnt think so... Cant say winning draws them , because some havent won anything....Easy to get a big time team when U have 50,000 to pick from..and some people go after them.....
I think the numbers I saw about 4 years ago indicated there are a total of 80,000 residents in Richmond County and 80,000 NEW residents average moving to Mecklenburg County every year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT