ADVERTISEMENT

State Championship Sites (UNC and NC State)

TarVikes

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2017
Have they announced where they will play the state championship games this year?

Not getting ahead of myself and assuming Tarboro will make it because anything can happen this year - especially with COVID. I’m just genuinely curious.

I think on the 2a board I seen that games might be on week days because of graduation at the college

Maybe they will let the top seed host like old times ? When was the last championship Murphy hosted? I imagine Robbinsville hosted in 82 or 83? Seems like Robbinsville 68 Bell Haven Wilkinson 0 in a fog out

I wonder if the colleges are being difficult to work something out. I wonder if there is any late spring field maintenance they do at this time that could result in not wanting the field to be used currently. Of course that wouldn't be an issue at Wake Forest but others could be maybe?

Does seem odd that they haven't announced it yet. State and UNC don't have graduation until the following week. UNC has exams scheduled the first Saturday in May. Maybe they don't want the chatter on campus that day.

Wouldn't be shocked if they used larger high school stadiums around Raleigh and Greensboro.

Play them at Bowman Gray Stadium. First race isn't until June 5th

Don't they have that field dug up currently? I think they are in the process of redoing the surface.

Pandemic year, crazy times, short season, would be cool of they could give the kids the chance to play at Bank of America somehow. Be hard to work out logistics for 8 games though.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
I believe the News Observer came out with an article few days ago that NCHSAA has secured Carter-Finley and Kenan stadiums. It's been mentioned that they may just used the two have 4 games at each ,1 on Thursday and Friday then 2 on Saturday.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Just play 3 Saturday or 1 on Sunday and 1 on Friday and 2 on Saturday. Play at 12, 4, and 8 on Saturday. Thursday would suck if it's someone like Murphy that has to make that trip on a school day.

Reactions: Mhsneer
If they are going to play a game on a Thursday night make it the 4aa state championship game. Friday night could be any championship game. That would be awful if murphy or Robbinsville had to travel that far on a Thursday night.

Smaller stadiums around the Triad area most likely (i.e. SImeon Stadium in High Point, Jamieson Stadium in Greensboro. Elon, NC A&T).

Alot of folks from Murphy/Robbinsville would pay to watch Heritage/Hendersonville if they was at the same place.

Panthers are putting down FieldTurf beginning with next season. That opens it up to use the stadium more. Too big the title games but a great experience. I would prefer to play in a packed 8,000 seat really nice venue than have 10,000 in a 72,000 seat stadium. UNCC is the perfect facility but Greensboro is the best geographical location.

It's not about what the fans want. It's about the experience for the kids. If they can play a game at BOA then do it! How cool would it be as a junior or senior to step on the same turf that McCaffrey shreds defensive units on? In front of the same city lights Kuechly once dominated on? Sure we all love packed stadiums and the atmosphere of a high school stadium but playing on a college or NFL field is a once in a lifetime experience for high school kids.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mhsneer
Liberals ran states aren't good at planning sporting events. I heard two years ago it State Championship was being moved to Charlotte. Georgia (in the past), Florida, South Carolina do a tremendous job with their State Championship games.

Reactions: BK13T-$ and Mhsneer
Liberals ran states aren't good at planning sporting events. I heard two years ago it State Championship was being moved to Charlotte. Georgia (in the past), Florida, South Carolina do a tremendous job with their State Championship games.
Not sure I'd call NC liberal ran though a Democrat Governor the Lt Governor is a Republican and both state house and senate is GOP controlled. But that said they the state government has no involvement in how the state championships are ran or their location the NCHSAA is a private non-profit 501C3 organization except for obvious necessity of working with state run programs and schools they have no direct ties financially or otherwise with the state. Actually I'm not sure about the GA or SC but FL has the same type of organization running their high school Athletics most states I believe do. That said I do have issues with decisions that the nchsaa makes.

SC does a terrible job. Utterly incompetent. I go every year except when it has been the same weekend as NC. The worst turf field I have ever seen at the 1A title game a few years ago.

Friends in Florida have complaints which every state is going to have some negatives to some people. Adding the classes continues the modern day trophy give. Imagine driving from Miami to Gainesville to play in front of 5,000 in a 90,000 seat stadium.

Georgia moved the title games to the Georgia Dome several years ago which was great for the fans that could take off for that early afternoon weekday title game. Schools complained that was not centralized enough so some changes came about the last few years.

Say what you want but the NCHSAA is probably above average in most respects. They have major issues and being more transparent is one but they have also been somewhat progressive in some ways...not that I always agree with that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT