ADVERTISEMENT

Starting to get concerned football nor school will start on time

KingNole73

Jan 4, 2007
After reading some stuff about the virus being around this summer I'm starting to get concerned we'll still be in virtual school and football will start late or not at all... thoughts??

Sounds like a great possibility according to the experts, doctors and scientist. There already telling professors at some of our colleges to start planning on online classes for the fall. So, that is not a good sign. IF colleges and universities are online, I doubt there will be any in person work being done.

Probably depends on whether there is a strong second wave. That’s what killed the majority of people in the 1918 pandemic. And the second wave will likely be determined by how impatient we are now.

Reactions: Steelers71
Any football season would be better than none. Like many of you I am holding out hope that this situation dies down to the point that we don't miss a beat but in case it doesn't I hope someone has a plan B, C, D, etc.

Forget summer. I'd bet my stimulus check that it's gone. I'd say it's also very unlikely that practice will start August 1st. Therefore, the 2020 season won't start August 21st. It's going to be different if at all.

Here is my proposal.
  • Abolish all schedules for 2020. I've seen some say play conference games only but that won't work when some teams have 5 conf games and others have 8.
  • I know many will bristle at this but say from the start that everyone will make the playoffs. Some won't care if they are in the playoffs so an opt out provision might be a consideration.
  • Allow teams to schedule up to 7 games with anyone they can find. If they are smart they will schedule teams that they know will bring in good gates. Everyone is going to need money for their athletic dept
  • If a team can't schedule 7 games, they won't be harshly penalized since everyone is playoff eligible. (see power rankings below)
  • Start practice on Tuesday, September 8th, the day after Labor Day
  • The first of 7 playing dates, with no byes, would be Friday, September 25th
  • The regular season will end at the same time as before, Friday, November 6th.
  • Playoff seeding would be done strictly by Max Preps ratings. Power ratings are always controversial but the formula might have a small deduction for a team that plays less than a minimum number of games like 6. Also, if a team went 0-fer because they play 7 really strong opponents they should be rated as high as a team that goes 4-3 or 3-4 vs weaker teams.
  • If the state playoffs had to be expanded by a week to account for an extra round the state championships would be held the week of Dec. 18th
It isn't perfect but anything less than a full season is not going to satisfy many people anyway.

That's definitely better then not having football at all. Summer ball is gone in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pisgah Bears
There are already talks about issues with any school before Christmas. Heard this directly from a doctor that works with a very large health department.

I don't think anyone 30 days ago thought we'd be in this position. I'm still not certain that what we are currently doing is best. We may not have sports but America in general cannot, and will not, stay shut down much longer.

No school until Christmas? Raises lots of Q's...........and concerens. A recent Google article stated that nationally less than 50% of students are doing online assignments. In my district a couple of teachers I know said it's more like less than 25% for them. Shutdown means shutdown of everthing apparently. If the decision is made to not return to school in the fall the political and social upheaval will be unimaginable.

If games are on a limited schedule I wonder if crowds will be capped ? Cleveland county rivalries can bring in 5-6 k ......

Don't expect to play until "the experts" think it's safe for everyone including any and all spectators.

The problem is testing right now plus no vaccine until next year.If you cut the number of games ,half will be away,so you only get the revenue with the homes games.

Reactions: PBBear51
Statement for NCHSAA:

EWzFtXQWAAIpRoO

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT