ADVERTISEMENT

Starmount @ West Montgomery

Wow, most of the posts from WM have been very respectful in nature. Losing a game is hard, you guys have a very good team especially a young bunch. WM has a great program and will definately be a favorite next year.

Our Rams are Senior dominated this year. Last year We took a young team up to Bryson City and took a beating. Experience like that helps out. I thought it was a great game between two classy programs. Good luck next year to the Warriors.

@ Buzzard I feel your frustration man but Starmount made the right adjustments and we did not plain and simple..............

Originally posted by KW23:
WIFM will broadcasting the game again, ignoring Alleghany. They will be very disappointed when West Montgomery wins by at least 21 pts.
As "The Duke" said in Big Jake.....not hardly!

This post was edited on 11/29 12:26 AM by pudge1963

Originally posted by MA BEARMAN:
Stm no team speed! They run a lot of miss direction and u better stay in your lanes! They are much improved since the loss to MA! Playoffs were easy teams!I'm pulling for the Rams but don't think they will have enough team speed for WM!
Wrong again! Mr. Johnson with 2 huge TD gallops putting more distance between those in pursuit with every stride. And I think he reminded a couple of it after the last one, too!

Congratulations to Starmount on their victory and to WM for a very good season. Starmount really took it to WM in second half. Starmount D-line controlled the line of scrimmage the entire night. Much quicker off the ball the the WM o-line and had penetration all night. Special teams a big victory for Starmount, as WM had long field most of the game. Just the opposite for Starmount, between WM continuing to kickoff 20 yards, poor punts, a blocked punt for a TD, and hey thrown in another failed fake punt from WM's own 35. Message to WM coaches - stop using the fake punt in your own territory in big games. Huge momentum shift after that play. Short field led to Starmount's first offensive TD of the night and gave them confidence. Also had to burn a timeout in the 4th quarter before a PAT!! Two penalties for 12 men on the field, didn't really make a lot of difference, but the coaches were not on top of their game for WM last night. Hey it happens and WM should be strong again next year. Good luck to Starmount the rest of the way.

Originally posted by good times roll:
Congratulations to Starmount on their victory and to WM for a very good season. Starmount really took it to WM in second half. Starmount D-line controlled the line of scrimmage the entire night. Much quicker off the ball the the WM o-line and had penetration all night. Special teams a big victory for Starmount, as WM had long field most of the game. Just the opposite for Starmount, between WM continuing to kickoff 20 yards, poor punts, a blocked punt for a TD, and hey thrown in another failed fake punt from WM's own 35. Message to WM coaches - stop using the fake punt in your own territory in big games. Huge momentum shift after that play. Short field led to Starmount's first offensive TD of the night and gave them confidence. Also had to burn a timeout in the 4th quarter before a PAT!! Two penalties for 12 men on the field, didn't really make a lot of difference, but the coaches were not on top of their game for WM last night. Hey it happens and WM should be strong again next year. Good luck to Starmount the rest of the way.
That fake punt showed a complete lack of respect for the Rams ability to make them pay if it went wrong. That's something you do against North Moore, not Starmount! It was the key play in the game and the moment that all changed in the Rams favor.

Fake punt had nothing to do about respect DA. It was about our punting game? Starmount had already blocked a punt for a TD and our best punt before the block was around 15 yards, plus our defense was playing lights out giving up only one first down after the game's opening drive. It was the right call, pass two inches higher and it's a TD and the rout is on.

Your absolutely right pudge. Instead of punting the ball and allowing decent field position for our defense that was giving Starmount -5 yards a drive before half, it gave them new life. The game was on its way to over then they let a more experienced team back in it and you just can't do that. Next year they will know how to finish an opponent off hopefully. Great game plan for Starmount, especially taking the opportunity that WM just layed out there. We looked like a bunch of Sophmores and Juniors last night. This Starmount team was about the same quality as Albemarle, just better coached and took advantage of the moment. Hats off and good luck to them next week, Swain is a tough outting.

It was the same script we've used the last several years and it has worked pretty well. It worked well this year too. I'll take a 21-10 lead at the half and the ball coming out of the half against anybody for the rest of my life and we will be fine. Someone didn't give Starmount the script though. We need to make sure to mail those scripts in triplicate in the future if you know what I mean. Let this be a lesson for our young guys as they prepare for next year. Like I said, it was a painful lesson, but we will learn and be stronger. Last year's finalist team was 7-6 and took an absolute beating in the second round in 2012. 12-2 and the third round in a rebuilding year is definitely something to build on. Congratulations to Starmount. Nothing to argue about as we lost to a great team in a great game.

We"ll see ya'll on the flip side. Fanatic out....
This post was edited on 11/29 10:58 AM by WMFootballFanatic

Buzzard15 Post #261 MyFanPage Add Buddy Ignore

Re: Starmount @ West Montgomery Reply

Not sure what our play calling was all about but it is what it is. Anyway, I think our guys made it farther than expected when the season started. Starmount better enjoy their win because it will be over next week. Swain will beat the brakes off of that team.

So all of a sudden buzzard 15 you have a problem with Coach Eddins play calling? Well maybe next time he will consult you before he puts a game plan together. You people amaze me talk good all year then as soon as it doesnt go your way run your mouth. Seems to me you wanted to say more in the post above. So why dont you elaborate on what you would have done differently? Keep in mind results are easy to judge.so lets hear it. We would love to have Coach Eddins and his staff here in rowan county. Im sure you would love for him to come to your job and post things about your work on here. You best be glad eddins is there. But hey a tough talker like you will probally walk right into his office and tell him face to face right?

Originally posted by Dubman44:
Fake punt had nothing to do about respect DA. It was about our punting game? Starmount had already blocked a punt for a TD and our best punt before the block was around 15 yards, plus our defense was playing lights out giving up only one first down after the game's opening drive. It was the right call, pass two inches higher and it's a TD and the rout is on.
DA, huh? Nice. You obviously live in the realm of "what ifs" and that's just not a good place to be. I'm sure what happened was something your coaches had thought would work and had absolutely nothing to do with your punt game. That's absurd. "Hey, let's go for it because we're probably gonna get it blocked or shank it anyway"....yeah, that's it. LOL And about that lights out D...you put them in a bad spot and apparently the lights came on! And you don't have it in you down there in Mt. Gilead to route the likes of Starmount! If you could have you wouldn't have lost. Oh wait, according to you the coaches said "If this works we win by 4 TD's but if not we lose momentum and may not win at all!" Who's sounds like the DA now, little man?

No matter the reason, the fake punt was a terrible call in that position on the field. Just like in the State Championship game against Kenan which was also a terrible call. Pudge is actually right and the crowd in the stands all said the same thing - that play may work against Chatham Central or North Moore in September, but late November is not the time, nor is your won 35 yard line. If you don't want to punt the ball you are better off just lining up and running the ball - at least you may pick up some yards. It does not fool anyone, because of the way the players look around at the coaches. If the fans 100 yards away can see it coming, for sure the opposing players are not fooled.,

Kinda like going for 2 instead of kicking the 1 to go into overtime. Genius if you get it, goat if you don't. 12-2 and 3rd round would have been a dream season in August. Time to enjoy it and move on so these other boys can talk about their championship dreams. Well get ours later.

Good times & pudgy where is the correct part of the field to fake the punt if not the 35? All the fans agreed it was a bad call good point because if it worked all the fans would have agreed it was a great call. I have to let u in on a little secret fans typically know very little nobody in the stands watched as much film or studied the other team as much as the coaches including this fan. So we get it u think it was a bad call. But a suggestions of where and when a fake punt would be more helpful. Oh yeah u have no clue just like all other fans. I am assuming you are no warrior fan?

Pudge is a former Starmount Ram player that has seen A LOT of high school football all over the state from 1A to 4A.

Originally posted by falconhank:
Good times & pudgy where is the correct part of the field to fake the punt if not the 35? All the fans agreed it was a bad call good point because if it worked all the fans would have agreed it was a great call. I have to let u in on a little secret fans typically know very little nobody in the stands watched as much film or studied the other team as much as the coaches including this fan. So we get it u think it was a bad call. But a suggestions of where and when a fake punt would be more helpful. Oh yeah u have no clue just like all other fans. I am assuming you are no warrior fan?
When is the last time you saw a team ahead by 11 pts, in the second half, and in control take the kind of chance WM did on it's own 35 yardline? It completely turned the game around! When is the last time you saw people who get paid big bucks to coach football do something like that? That's what I thought. And to answer your question, I don't know when is the perfect time to do that but it wasn't there and it wouldn't have been smart even had it worked! The worst thing short of a direct score by Starmount happened....WM game them life that was almost gone.

Well that makes you and expert then. Former player and seen lots of games equals EXPERT. I just watched a college team fake a punt on the 38 yard line up 7 points how could they oh but they got it great call. Maybe west mont should have been on the 38 not 35 i will let coach know.

To me it's risky especially with a lead. Sorry my opinion. Coach knows why he did and that is all that matters.

I give our freshman DB props for making a big play.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Deana i agree very risky.But hey no risk no reward. I recall a fake punt west Montgomery did last year in the 3rd round that turned the tide for west against east surry. But hey i guess east surry would be in the same catagory with chatham central and north moore. Thats according to some people on these boards. But hey everyone has their opinion. Not sure i think those teams are close to east surry just my opinion.

Deana i agree very risky.But hey no risk no reward. I recall a fake punt west Montgomery did last year in the 3rd round that turned the tide for west against east surry. But hey i guess east surry would be in the same catagory with chatham central and north moore. Thats according to some people on these boards. But hey everyone has their opinion. Not sure i think those teams are close to east surry just my opinion.
And exactly what were the circumstances against East Surry? You said TURNED the tide implying something needed to happen to change WM's fortunes. You've as much as said it wasn't the same thing!!! Keep talking....

If i recall correctly the warriors were up 7 points maybe 3 or 4 minutes left in 2nd quarter as a matter of fact it was around the same place on the field going the same direction. West went on to score and controlled the game from then on. Need anymore details my good friend? But hey u are the EXPERT that played high school football and has watched hundreds of games. Wow what more expertise can anyone ask for? Im sure you called Nick Saban and told him he shouldnt have kicked that field goal last year vs auburn. Maybe if it comes down to something like that tonight he will consult you before he does anything.

Pudge according to Max Preps WM averaged 14 yards per punt and had one blocked. The Rams were winning the punt portion of special teams, seems like a good idea to try the fake to me. Lets look at the situation another way according to you the D was playing good, according to the stats the punter was stinking up the show, sounds like a good formula to be aggressive and take the shot. I do know that it is always easy for some of us armchairs to act like we know what we are talking about after the fact but the fact is WM made the decision just be happy your team won, otherwise get of the couch and apply for the EM job and show everyone what a gift to the coaching profession you would be. That would allow the rest of us armchairs to second guess your decisions.

Amen wishbone well at least pudge has answered his post unlike BUZZARD guess i ran him off. Or maybe he is practicing his play calling.

Pudge can you believe that Saban just went for it on 4th down? I mean I know it worked but what a stupid play he should have just kicked the FG and took the lead. Imagine how bad it would have been if they had not made it.

Guess Alabama has no respect for auburn to do something like that. I mean no way saban just thought it was the right thing to do right pudge?

Originally posted by wishbone101:

Pudge can you believe that Saban just went for it on 4th down? I mean I know it worked but what a stupid play he should have just kicked the FG and took the lead. Imagine how bad it would have been if they had not made it.
I know you are not moronic enough to compare what WM did last night to going for it on the opponents 1 yard line so I'm gonna just say I must have missed the play you speak of.

Pudge according to Max Preps WM averaged 14 yards per punt and had one blocked. The Rams were winning the punt portion of special teams, seems like a good idea to try the fake to me. Lets look at the situation another way according to you the D was playing good, according to the stats the punter was stinking up the show, sounds like a good formula to be aggressive and take the shot. I do know that it is always easy for some of us armchairs to act like we know what we are talking about after the fact but the fact is WM made the decision just be happy your team won, otherwise get of the couch and apply for the EM job and show everyone what a gift to the coaching profession you would be. That would allow the rest of us armchairs to second guess your decisions.
If that is the case then WM should not have punted again all game. Heck, they may not have I don't remember for sure. You understand right? If WM was playing the percentages, as you indicate, they should not have punted again ALL GAME as they had calculated going for it was a better option.

I must have been mistaken I thought this had turned into a "lets second guess" the coaches tread. So are you only prepared to second guess games involving Starmount? You seemed so confident in your previous post that I was sure you were qualified to second guess Friday, Saturday and sunday games.

One thing we haven't discussed. Do you guys like the call as opposed to punting? Forget what happened. If you knew the kid would have netted 30 yards down to the Ram 30 and Starmount would have had to go 70 yards just to get within one score would you have taken it? Odds are that's what you would have gotten....remember, that one shank still netted about 30 yards. Any of you got the guts to admit that in your gut you feel that if you had punted and not given Starmount "life" you'd been playing next Friday? I can tell you in all honesty I'd have left that game as a WM fan feeling like that play had gone along way towards getting me beat and that it could have been avoided!

Special teams is an important aspect of the game. Speaking of stats, we outgained them 360 to 235 according to maxpreps. I'm sure we probably had time of possession too. Unfortunately, the stat that matters is 31-28. They made plays when they had to, including on the call in question and the scores that in the numerous plays that came after. I agree with Deana, great play by that young man and the Starmount team in seizing the moment, which is what you expect a good team to do. We have done it time and again but not this time. We didn't make all the plays we needed to in order to get the win. Regardless of the call, we had our chances. Everything was in our favor except the final score. I'll accept that and move on. It was a great game. They deserved to win. So did we, but someone had to lose. It just happened to be us. Time to let it go. Good job Warriors and coaching staff. Time to get to work. The season didn't end. It just began.
This post was edited on 11/30 5:09 AM by WMFootballFanatic

I must have been mistaken I thought this had turned into a "lets second guess" the coaches tread. So are you only prepared to second guess games involving Starmount? You seemed so confident in your previous post that I was sure you were qualified to second guess Friday, Saturday and sunday games

The risk vs reward was very low on that call. You know it as well as I do and down in your gut you know it got you beat!

Posted by Pudge
If that is the case then WM should not have punted again all game. Heck, they may not have I don't remember for sure. You understand right? If WM was playing the percentages, as you indicate, they should not have punted again ALL GAME as they had calculated going for it was a better option.

I don't know what they were thinking which is my real point none of us armchairs know what they were thinking. I noticed that it took you a few minutes to respond. WM had only a few seconds to make their decision. We have had over 24 hours to think of a response to their decision and to support or pick it apart. I do not know for sure but I bet that WM did what they felt was best for them at that very moment. I say just enjoy your win and support your very good team next Friday. The ironic part of life is that next week you may be on here second guessing your coach and his decisions. I don't know if that will be the case or not but I bet what every decision Starmount makes next week they will be trying to win the game.

Thought I'd take a minute and see who won the game. Wow .. another collapse by the Great Warrior Nation. Still searching for that elusive championship. Not as easy as it seems is it ? Go Dogs..
flush.r191677.gif

Hey wishbone you cant argue with pudge he played high school football and has watched hundreds of games from 1a to 4a so he is a Expert. I wish we had our on Pudge in rowan county. What an ASSet he is to the starmount community.

Hey wishbone you cant argue with pudge he played high school football and has watched hundreds of games from 1a to 4a so he is a Expert. I wish we had our on Pudge in rowan county. What an ASSet he is to the starmount community.
Those were not self-proclaimations, although I'm pretty sure I've seen a lot more football than you guys. Speaking of Rowan County, why don't you ask Scott Young if he thinks it was a good move. He might very well have been there. You are bitter about your loss and even more bitter that you brought the demise upon yourselves. Deal with it! Under the circumstances it was not a smart move and while we will never know I GUARANTEE you the vast majority of people in the know would agree that it was a very low percentage move and not worth the risk.

Enjoy coming up short again. You asked for it this time.

Bitter, bitter, bitter. You are the kind of fan I love to see lose as you take it so well! Why are you so worried about WM anyway? Isn't the dynasty over at WR good enough for you?

Im not really worried about WM just like pushing your buttons and you made it easy there big guy. It does drive me crazy when people like you 2nd guess coaches. But hey i guess since you have seen so much football everyone should proclaim you the football know it all. Hey i have watched a lot of Chinese checkers so i guess im an expert. Hey get a grip bud and support your team comments belittling people that know alot more about their profession than you do arent needed. Coach Eddins has forgot more football than you will ever know. And no need to bring coach young into this conversation he coaches a lot like coach eddins takes chances and is considered one hell of a coach he also has the hardware to prove it. I believe coach eddins and many on his staff have state title rings. How many rings do you have. So how many games will you watch today? And how far will your knowledge of the game go up? I hope i can be like you one day pudge and know eveything because i watch something.

Push my buttons? Pushing buttons implies getting under someones skin. That is what happened to YOU not me! I have no doubt Eddins knows more football than I do, but I don't have to be Vince Lombardi to know he took an unnecessary gamble that back fired on him and clearly went against the odds. If the truth be known he's said to himself 1000 times in the last 36 hrs...."Why didn't I just punt the ball?". You have a good day!

This post was edited on 11/30 9:17 AM by pudge1963

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT