ADVERTISEMENT

Starmount @ West Montgomery

If Reidsville wasn't playing Shelby this week...the W. Montgomery/Starmount game is one I'd like to see...should be a good one...................good luck to all.......

What kinda NS of info does anybody have about Starmount? What Offense do they run? What's their strengths and weaknesses?

My two favorite 1aa teams other than my Maroon Devils. Good luck to both teams and their fans.

will you be wearing your IM DEANA jersey
smile.r191677.gif
or will we just know by the throngs that surround you.....

Some history between the schools:

In 1991, Starmount defeated West Montgomery 29-14 in Boonville (2nd Round of 2A Playoffs). Thanks Dubman for the correction I don't know why I posted 1989...lol!!
This post was edited on 11/24 11:55 AM by Deana_King

Starmount is always in the discussion, every year. Great program. I'm predicting a close game between two well-coached teams. Don't get this far unless the talent and coaching is there. I'm hoping its you guys playing from behind this week Deana instead of us...lol. That was stressful Friday night! Walkertown was well-prepared. I know Starmount will be too.

I know stats mean nothing when the lights come on but WM has outscored Starmount by 147 points this year. Does that give us a guaranteed win? Ofcourse not! But it shows we can score! Im going to agree with Fanatic again, its going to be a close game! If WM comes out flat like they did last Friday against Walkertown then it might night work out in our favor this week. We need our Defense to come out fired up and ready to hit somebody! Our Offense has to stop with the high snaps and make sure the Skill players know the plays. From here on out we cant have an off night or its over! These guys at WM can do this but they have to do it! Nobody on the sidelines or in the stands can do it for them! From here on out its going to come down to who wants it the most! I hope our guys want it!
fighting0030.r191677.gif

Buzzard those high snaps are exactly what I'm talking about. And for the love of god quit making dozier run with the football. I like the kid but he just doesn't have the wheels. Throwing on the other hand is a different subject. And no I'm not putting the kid down........

With 7-8 Backs We know that Starmount ain't trying to pad any of Their Running Backs stats ( North Stanly ). Anyway West has won 10 in a Row, Starmount 8. Didn't Starmount beat East Surry? Jo Leake was hard to stop in the second half this past Friday

Yes guys, WM doesn't have 7-8 RB's but we do have some guys that can make plays. Seemed like one of our guys was having trouble with traction in the first half. Not sure why but he didn't seem to have any forward bite on those cleats! The other guys filled in just fine though. The only thing Im going to say about the QB is he is one tough kid! Its hard to believe at times that hes just a Sophmore. Starmount seems to have a pile of Seniors this year so those guys will play inspired. Should be a good game. By no means will it be a blowout! Did anybody else notice that when the WM Fans got fired up the team acted like they shifted gears?

Buzzard. Walkertown definitely heard the crowd in the 4th. A little noise never hurt , the D definitely fed off of it you could tell by their body language......

Originally posted by WMFootballFanatic:
I'm predicting a close game between two well-coached teams
It won't be, Starmount was fortunate to be play two terrible teams the first two rounds. The only solid team they played all season they lost 31-0. This isn't 90's, Starmount doesn't have the talent to compete with the big boys of 1A and 2A football nowadays.

I am predicting a close game between these two teams. I believe it will really come down to which team can make the big play. I love WM D Line so I think WM will take this by a TD but it will be close and will come down to the 4th quarter. Good luck to both teams and safe travels....

This game will be a grind for sure. On a side note I've always liked Starmounts helmets. Maybe its just me lol......

Actually Deana, it was 1991 when Starmount beat West in the second round of the playoffs, B.W. Holt was the coach of Starmount, ( who was a former player at West and one of the first captains on the first WM team in 1961) and Ted Harman was the coach at West.

WM probably has better skill position players than Starmount, but I'm going to give Starmount the edge up front. It may be cliche, but winner of this one will be who wants it the most. With that said, based on comments here it sounds like starmount may be more mentally prepared for being this deep in the playoffs than WM.

Deana, maybe I missed it but I don't see any Starmount posters on here besides yourself. Just seems kinda odd.

West Montgomery 35 Starmount 14. WM runs away with this one. It is really hard to beat WM at WM. I just don't think Starmount has the athletes to compete with WM. They may have more experience, but we are basically talking about the same WM team that made it to the states last year, with a better Defense and Offense. They virtually shut down Walker Town in the 2nd half. I don't believe that it matters even if Starmount has better endurance than Walker Town, no one in the West has the athletes that WM has at the moment. Albemarle and Walker Town were the only teams in West 1A that could come close, and you see how that turned out. No offence Deana, but Starmount takes a "Beating" Friday.

On top of that since were talking about Starmount. Deana.....I still feel some type of way about that 1996 Albemarle @ Starmount game. I heard the story behind it, and it was told that one of the referees had it out for Albemarle. He was never allowed to referee another Albemarle game.....ever. I heard Greene crossed that goal line about three times.

Originally posted by Buddy Rich:

Deana, maybe I missed it but I don't see any Starmount posters on here besides yourself. Just seems kinda odd.
I pull for Starmount all year long except for one Friday night....lol

Originally posted by sway1532:
West Montgomery 35 Starmount 14. WM runs away with this one. It is really hard to beat WM at WM. I just don't think Starmount has the athletes to compete with WM. They may have more experience, but we are basically talking about the same WM team that made it to the states last year, with a better Defense and Offense. They virtually shut down Walker Town in the 2nd half. I don't believe that it matters even if Starmount has better endurance than Walker Town, no one in the West has the athletes that WM has at the moment. Albemarle and Walker Town were the only teams in West 1A that could come close, and you see how that turned out. No offence Deana, but Starmount takes a "Beating" Friday.

On top of that since were talking about Starmount. Deana.....I still feel some type of way about that 1996 Albemarle @ Starmount game. I heard the story behind it, and it was told that one of the referees had it out for Albemarle. He was never allowed to referee another Albemarle game.....ever. I heard Greene crossed that goal line about three times.
hey sway just curious when you say no one in the west has the athletes to beat wm, does that mean if swain beats Whiteville they shouldn't waste their money to play wm if wm gets past starmount and/or if Whiteville beats swain are they an east team or a west team and the same question arises are you saying Whiteville should just be happy and stay home because they have no shot at wm.....

To W2005 our QB was getting 4 to 5 yards compared to no gain for our other backs at that time in the game FACT

I'll be happy with a victory over Starmount. Walkertown gave us all we wanted. They lost close to ES and MA who Starmount split with. This is going to be a close game IMHO.

Maybe so oldwarrior but you don't wanna get ypur qb killed out their. That kid was taking some major shots.......

Going to be a battle and will be keeping up on Preps, much respect for both teams!

You are going to take hits if you are a true player that is part of the game. Our QBs have been takeing hits all along he just is not as fast as the past

No easy ones at this stage. Should be a great game. Get there early. Word on the streets is Deanna and JDub are signing autographs before the game, Expect long, long lines to get into Warrior Stadium with that being the case
wink.r191677.gif

I've asked around about Starmount and got some answers that just don't sound right. If anything I post is incorrect please correct me. Im hearing Starmount only has about 25 players with most of the linemen play O and D line. No offense but I don't see that working against our strong physical linemen who only play O or D, except for the occasional fill ins. I'm definitely not throwing off on Starmount because they are 5th seed for a reason. Just curious I guess.

We have about 25 to 30 or so players. Some JVs have been moved up through the season. We don't have much size...maybe 2 players over 250lbs. This bunch got wore out at Swain last year as a bunch of juniors. Hopefully, that experience will help out this Friday.

Stm had weak road to this rd. I think will be over at halftime! I mean no disrespect to Stm!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT