ADVERTISEMENT

Starmount @ Avery

I liked the Starmount teams of old, under coach Johnson. Run, run, run. Look at their records year after year running the ball and look at the records since they went to the pass. Avery blows them out.

Coach Johnson? You mean BW Holt. Now that's the Old Athletic Starmount that played Mountain Football with speed and athletes to burn. They were in 2a then..a lot of years. They paralled the Shelbys, Cummings, and Reidsville's with their brand of football back then. What a perennial power they were in the 80s-early 2000's...Wow how times have changed them..and Cummings.....

Coach Johnson? You mean BW Holt. Now that's the Old Athletic Starmount that played Mountain Football with speed and athletes to burn. They were in 2a then..a lot of years. They paralled the Shelbys, Cummings, and Reidsville's with their brand of football back then. What a perennial power they were in the 80s-early 2000's...Wow how times have changed them..and Cummings.....

It’s a shame how far they have fallen since then, they really did more for the respect of NWNC football than anyone else has, but with the loss of jobs in Jonesville I’m not sure we will ever see the Starmount of old again.

It’s a shame how far they have fallen since then, they really did more for the respect of NWNC football than anyone else has, but with the loss of jobs in Jonesville I’m not sure we will ever see the Starmount of old again.

There never were any jobs in Jonesville lol

I don't really think Starmounts numbers have gone down that much since the 90s. Maybe they have idk. Either way I think the middle school is what did Starmount in. No competition for positions when they get to high school.

There never were any jobs in Jonesville lol

I don't really think Starmounts numbers have gone down that much since the 90s. Maybe they have idk. Either way I think the middle school is what did Starmount in. No competition for positions when they get to high school.
A lot of folks down there I have spoken with think the exact same thing. But you can look at them and see they don’t have the same type of kid playing for them that they did during the Holt tenure or even the early years of Johnson either. I’m just not sure where those kids went.

A lot of folks down there I have spoken with think the exact same thing. But you can look at them and see they don’t have the same type of kid playing for them that they did during the Holt tenure or even the early years of Johnson either. I’m just not sure where those kids went.

I think the Mineral Springs area is where the problem lies. Most people in that neighborhood are aging and there don't seem to be the kids coming out of there that once were. Its not an attractive part of town these days.

Reactions: LetsGetIt7
Nail on the Head DeacnRams...hard to get that people don't understand how demographics change everything when it comes to things such as athletics and what used to be..and what isn't now the face of Starmount football....What is happenin around the area has leveled and evened the playing field....hence there will never be anymore dominant Ram football..they will have good teams here and there..but possibly never a perennial power again.

Reactions: LetsGetIt7
New season starts this Friday night. With that being said I hope Avery regroups and starts playing with confidence. The last two games of the regular season Avery look defeated before either game even started. We've lost a lineman during the Polk game and won't get him back. Still it's next man up and keep going. If the Avery team that started this season shows up Friday, Avery wins big. If the Avery team that took the field against Owen and Mitchell shows up.... who knows??? I don't think Avery has given up and I know these kids have more to prove.

Reactions: AHVikingNation
Will weather play a factor? As of now don't look like any rain or snow is forecasted. Still early but as of now Friday night looks to be clear and cool. Highs in the mid 40's Lows in the mid 20's.

@Heels10 That stinks about the OL. Hopefully Avery regroups and gets the W. I really like Averys coach. The future looks good.

Reactions: Heels10
AppVol I wish Cloudland the best and hope your son has great game. There's only one night each year that I'm not pulling for the Landers lol.

Reactions: Appvol
AppVol I wish Cloudland the best and hope your son has great game. There's only one night each year that I'm not pulling for the Landers lol.

This weeks game will be tough. Oliver Springs is pretty good. Have to play a perfect game and catch a break or 2 to get the win. We are 5-1 since the coaching change after the Avery game.

Coaching change?

When Lunsford retired and went back to help his son at Hampton the coach that Cloudland hired resigned or was told he was done after starting 1-4.Lunsford brought him up to help when he came back to Cloudland. He wasn’t a very good head coach. Kids didn’t really like him and some of the stuff my son told me surprised me. So the AD starting coaching and things turned around.

I love Lunsford. He’s a great coach. But the bouncing thing between Cloudland, Avery, Hampton, back to cloudland, back to Hampton. Kinda nonproductive for those communities, but they’re always productive wherever he’s at. Strange!

I love Lunsford. He’s a great coach. But the bouncing thing between Cloudland, Avery, Hampton, back to cloudland, back to Hampton. Kinda nonproductive for those communities, but they’re always productive wherever he’s at. Strange!

He only came back to Cloudland to coach girls basketball for his daughter and it caused a big stink. He just had to coach Football . She graduated last year so he retired and it was back to Hampton to help his son. He is a really good football coach though.

He only came back to Cloudland to coach girls basketball for his daughter and it caused a big stink. He just had to coach Football . She graduated last year so he retired and it was back to Hampton to help his son. He is a really good football coach though.
Yeah he is. I wished he’d have gotten to take the Avery job 5 yrs ago. But I understood his reasons not to. Either way, Avery does have have a good coach now with a bright outlook. Good luck to the vikes Friday.

Lunsford is a great coach. How's his son doing? I see that hampton is having a good year. Have been rolling since taking a shellacking from Gatlinburg-Pitman, but they are uncharacteristically good this year themselves.

I think the thing everyone is forgetting is that Avery kid's come from 2 different middle schools while Starmount's kids have gone to school together since Pre-K. It's in these late season playoff games when team chemistry really becomes a deciding factor and the fact that Starmount's kids sat with each other in 7th grade social studies class while Avery's kids are basically total strangers should mean as much as anything if you ask me. I hear that some of Avery's kid's don't even know their teammates by name. Call each other by jersey number. Wild stuff.

Lunsford is a great coach. How's his son doing? I see that hampton is having a good year. Have been rolling since taking a shellacking from Gatlinburg-Pitman, but they are uncharacteristically good this year themselves.

They are really good right now. JR struggled the past 2 years a little. Having Dad back now helps a lot. Hampton game Friday should be a really good. If I was a Mitchell fan that’s where I would go if you were wanting to watch a game. I wish Mitchell and Hampton would play each other.

Starmount has 3 feeder elementary schools then kids go to Starmount Middle.

I think the thing everyone is forgetting is that Avery kid's come from 2 different middle schools while Starmount's kids have gone to school together since Pre-K. It's in these late season playoff games when team chemistry really becomes a deciding factor and the fact that Starmount's kids sat with each other in 7th grade social studies class while Avery's kids are basically total strangers should mean as much as anything if you ask me. I hear that some of Avery's kid's don't even know their teammates by name. Call each other by jersey number. Wild stuff.

Grizzley...where in the world are you from? Yes Avery has two middle schools that feed a school of a little over 500. But these middle schools sit 8 miles apart, play each other in middle school athletics multiple times a year. They play youth ball together. Total strangers!? Thats too funny. These kids up here know each other great. The team is not that big where kids dont know their teammates names.

If you're going to try and run a program down, get your facts straight and dont make up BS.

As far as the game, I see a high scoring affair but hope that my Vikings will be on the good side of that. Hopefully the cold weather plays in our favor!

Coached me in college back in the day at Lees-McRae. Would love to coach with him someday!

I got ball boy games some when I was little. I got ball boy the National Championship game in the Mini Dome.

Grizzley...where in the world are you from? Yes Avery has two middle schools that feed a school of a little over 500. But these middle schools sit 8 miles apart, play each other in middle school athletics multiple times a year. They play youth ball together. Total strangers!? Thats too funny. These kids up here know each other great. The team is not that big where kids dont know their teammates names.

If you're going to try and run a program down, get your facts straight and dont make up BS.

As far as the game, I see a high scoring affair but hope that my Vikings will be on the good side of that. Hopefully the cold weather plays in our favor!

I think there is only one middle school team. The 2 middle schools combine for 1 team now.

That is foolish grizz. In Avery County, everyone knows everybody else. Everyone plays youth sports together and friendly rivalries begin in pre-k in rev league sports. My graduating class from Avery had 150-170 students and I knew every single one of them (and knew 95% of them before high school).

I think there is only one middle school team. The 2 middle schools combine for 1 team now.
Your correct @Appvol 1 middle school football team. Cranberry middle school and Avery middle school each have their own team sports in everything except football. Most every kid from Avery, Mitchell, and Heritage knows each other by the time they hit high school. They all play each other in football, basketball, and baseball from the time their old enough to play through high school. Some even run around together during the summer. You can tell Grizzley is a Flat Lander. Knowing everybody within 3 counties and even across the state line must just be a mountain thing lol.

Just thought I'd throw this out there. The last time Avery won a playoff game..... November 14th 2014 at East Surry, it was coach Brewer's last season at Avery.
East Surry- 15
Avery- 23
Yep. They were the #15 seed over #2 seed. Avery done the same thing in 2006 at East Surry.

If Avery wins and starmount beat mt airy then Mitchell has more than enough to beat East.
Still stand by this statement hoops? Just messing with ya. Great job by Starmount getting back on track tonight. Can’t get into the score comparison game in the playoffs. Styles make fights. Wonder how many of the total plays were passes in Newland tonight?

Still stand by this statement hoops? Just messing with ya. Great job by Starmount getting back on track tonight. Can’t get into the score comparison game in the playoffs. Styles make fights. Wonder how many of the total plays were passes in Newland tonight?

EJdn2NsXUAA-gzF

Some will fuss about the officiating tonight, but I try not to blame the officials. All in all Avery could not get a stop on defense when they needed to. I did however question the decision to punt on 4th and 3 inside Starmount's 40 down by 7???

Last edited:
Looks like a 62 yard fumble return, and a 50 yard interception was the difference.
Early 2nd qtr inside Starmounts 20 on 3rd and 10 we fumble a screen pass that although would've been short of a 1st down, would've at least set up a makable field goal. That turned the tide. Starmounts returned it to within 15-20 yds of the goal line and tied the score a couple plays later at 14-14. I believe if Avery went up 21-7 it would have deflated Starmount bad. Instead it gave them new life and it deflated Avery instead. Hope that Starmount gives East Surry a game.

I was there tonite, Starmount played almost identical to Avery, both teams threw the ball way too much, I feel if Avery ran the ball more tonight they probably would have won, Averys defense struggled all night couldn't get any pressure on Starmounts qb, I dont get how #5 was open all night, some terrible game changing penalties on 3rd and 4th down to keep drives alive for the rams, and dont get why you punt from midfield or beyond ever in high school football especially in a home playoff game with a good running back who averaged 5 plus yds a carry

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT