ADVERTISEMENT

Stack steps down at rosman

As a defensive guy I never really cared for the up tempo spread offense. The defense is just on the field to long. However, if you only have 3-6 true athletes on the team you best be able to scheme them into space. I don't understand how running the same offensive scheme as the rest of the conference is going to be to your advantage. You're going to get a 9-10 man box against better athletes. If you guys are truly having issues with numbers running a three yard and a cloud of dust offense isn't going to help that. Today's athletes would rather look good and lose than look bad and win. I wish Rosman nothing but the best..

As a defensive guy I never really cared for the up tempo spread offense. The defense is just on the field to long. However, if you only have 3-6 true athletes on the team you best be able to scheme them into space. I don't understand how running the same offensive scheme as the rest of the conference is going to be to your advantage. You're going to get a 9-10 man box against better athletes. If you guys are truly having issues with numbers running a three yard and a cloud of dust offense isn't going to help that. Today's athletes would rather look good and lose than look bad and win. I wish Rosman nothing but the best..

Muchado, you seem like a level-headed kind of guy, and you obviously know football....Rosman has never run the same offense as teams in the SMC with maybe the exception of Swain who traditionally runs the veer, but Swain is the biggest school in the conference, and generally has more atheletes due to their long tradition of winning....Rosman has had kids in the past that could catch the ball, and they would likely have been a good weapon when they were running the triple option, but the TE was never used like it was when I was playing many years ago....Teams did load the box at times through the years, and that probably cost Rosman a chance at a state title back in 84' when Cecil would not throw the ball even though Jamesville had essentially 10 men on the line of scrimmage to stop Jay Sheridan...

I know that Stack was doing his best with what he had to work with, and I agree with others that today's kids want to play in more of an uptempo type style offense with less physicality than kids have in the past which puts Rosman and other small schools in a tough spot because most don't have the atheletes to run that type of offense, and as you pointed out, the defenses stay on the field too long which makes it tough to win against teams with more talent....

Muchado, you seem like a level-headed kind of guy, and you obviously know football....Rosman has never run the same offense as teams in the SMC with maybe the exception of Swain who traditionally runs the veer, but Swain is the biggest school in the conference, and generally has more atheletes due to their long tradition of winning....Rosman has had kids in the past that could catch the ball, and they would likely have been a good weapon when they were running the triple option, but the TE was never used like it was when I was playing many years ago....Teams did load the box at times through the years, and that probably cost Rosman a chance at a state title back in 84' when Cecil would not throw the ball even though Jamesville had essentially 10 men on the line of scrimmage to stop Jay Sheridan...

I know that Stack was doing his best with what he had to work with, and I agree with others that today's kids want to play in more of an uptempo type style offense with less physicality than kids have in the past which puts Rosman and other small schools in a tough spot because most don't have the athletes to run that type of offense, and as you pointed out, the defenses stay on the field too long which makes it tough to win against teams with more talent....
I agree with your evaluation, and do not claim to know the SMC very well. I know that game planning against something you do not see on a weekly basis is difficult. (i.e. playing GT or Navy in the college ranks) I thought the spread was a change up in your conference thereby giving Rosman a slight advantage. I know when I started, we seen the Wing-T 6-7 weeks in as season. Now we see the spread at least that much so, when we see the Wing-T it's difficult to coach the boys up on all the W-T rules.

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
Any intel on who might have applied / when the interviews might be held / when they are going to announce the hiring?

People can say what they want about Stack, but he definitely works hard for those kids. Another tiger signed to play college football today. Congratulations Marcus Stamey.

IMO spread teams tend to be "finesse" teams and those sometimes lose sight of the defense. Rosman would be well-suited to get back to their smashmouth roots. You can get your athletes in space in the veer or wing T too. Just my two cents.

I understood that Coach Essenberg was going to be the interim (running Strength and Conditioning, Talking to potential players, leading Spring Practice, etc,) and that the interview process is ongoing, with the final selection coming very soon. After they are selected Coach Essenberg will lead the program until the new coach gets settled into the job may stay as an assistant to help the new coach get his bearings. I could be wrong, but that is what I understand.

Congratulations Coach Essenberg and a big congrats to Marcus Stamey. He joins Deland Thomas at Catawba. Hopefully with an old school Coach and support from the community the Tigers can get rolling. Spring ball is right around the corner isn’t it?

Reactions: CherokeeKid
Congratulations Coach Essenberg and a big congrats to Marcus Stamey. He joins Deland Thomas at Catawba. Hopefully with an old school Coach and support from the community the Tigers can get rolling. Spring ball is right around the corner isn’t it?
So, is Dan the coach?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT