ADVERTISEMENT

Stack steps down at rosman

Tiger Fan35

Oct 14, 2013
Coach stack has stepped down at rosman going to Easley High to become their new defensive coordinator

Ouch, have there been any names mentioned to step in and take over with only 4 months till kickoff? Puts tiger nation in a tough spot ( just my opinion) best of luck to the tigers on their search for Stacks replacement !

Wow.... So much for changing the culture at Rosman.....

Will be interesting to see where the Tigers turn this time?

Stack did a nice job of cleaning up the facilities, but could never seemingly get the Tigers to play defense, and yet he's going to be the defensive coordinator at 5A Easley?

Tigers need to get back to basics, and forget about this uptempo passing offense that resulted in 5 total wins in 2 years...We've never had the atheletes to run that type of offense, and we likely never will....

I've always believed that you have to simulate in practice what you do on friday nights, and have been told by several Tiger fans that we barely even hit in practice anymore, and that was obvious on friday nights the last two years when we seemingly couldn't stop anyone from running the football....

If you don't play a physical style of game in the SMC, you likely are not going to succeed....

Need to go back to running the football, controlling the clock, and playing great defense, and hope that the administration will find a Coach that is willing to do those things....

JMHO!

Roar Tigers Roar!

Last edited:
Rosman should be an appealing job for someone to go live in the beautiful mountains. Coach Stack I thought did an amazing job changing a very bad culture and he got the community excited again. Watching some games, I was impressed with the 5 games (not 4) that Rosman did win. Lots of injuries both seasons and just limited talent compared to who they played, I think Stack got all he could out of those kids.

Rosman has a few talented seniors coming back to work with. I keep hearing Coach Stack has gotten them very strong this off-season. I have also heard he fixed the schedule to match up much better than the past two seasons.

Changing the scheme and going back to smash-mouth football is a must for the Tigers. I am sure they will hire an old-school coach to bring the old-school style of football back to Rosman.

Facilities are looking amazing and the kids have come a long ways in the past two seasons. I hope to get a great coach in because this is now a very appealing job compared to a few years ago.

After back to back playoff seasons, finishing 5th in the best 1A conference in the state last season, Rosman will get a good hire in.

Hate to lose him, but good luck to Coach Stack. I was told the last time he was a defensive coordinator was in the 4A state championship game while he was at Scotland County. I am sure he will do great at the move to South Carolina, Easley High School 5A (not 4A).

Reactions: TigerDen2
Rosman should be an appealing job for someone to go live in the beautiful mountains. Coach Stack I thought did an amazing job changing a very bad culture and he got the community excited again. Watching some games, I was impressed with the 5 games (not 4) that Rosman did win. Lots of injuries both seasons and just limited talent compared to who they played, I think Stack got all he could out of those kids.

Rosman has a few talented seniors coming back to work with. I keep hearing Coach Stack has gotten them very strong this off-season. I have also heard he fixed the schedule to match up much better than the past two seasons.

Changing the scheme and going back to smash-mouth football is a must for the Tigers. I am sure they will hire an old-school coach to bring the old-school style of football back to Rosman.

Facilities are looking amazing and the kids have come a long ways in the past two seasons. I hope to get a great coach in because this is now a very appealing job compared to a few years ago.

After back to back playoff seasons, finishing 5th in the best 1A conference in the state last season, Rosman will get a good hire in.

Hate to lose him, but good luck to Coach Stack. I was told the last time he was a defensive coordinator was in the 4A state championship game while he was at Scotland County. I am sure he will do great at the move to South Carolina, Easley High School 5A (not 4A).

Very well said. It’s nice and refreshing to see a positive post about someone leaving instead of people (only one person at this point) bashing him that doesn’t know anything about the program because they haven’t been around it in a long time. Only going by heresay or stat numbers you can look up anywhere. He loves the kids he has coached these past 2 years and has gotten some to the next level. (That hasn’t been done in forever). Congratulations Coach Stack and I wish you nothing but the best in your endeavors.

As a long time Tiger fan, I feel right about now the same way as I did when Brian Bailey left town....Both Bailey and Stack wanted their teams to run an uptempo offense that was heavy on the pass, and both came to town with a lot of fanfare....Both offenses that were run by the two different coaches were fun to watch, but the defenses were not as fortunate as they spent a lot of time on the field which led to lopsided defeats, while also yielding some of the highest point totals by opponents that have ever been recorded in the history of Rosman Tiger Football....

Let's face it: Participation for Rosman Football has been down, and I don't know if it will ever be what it used to be, and numbers mean everything at the 1A Football level where a couple of injuries can quickly derail a promising season, and I know that is something that Coach Stack battled in his two years as Head Coach of the Tigers....You can't beg kids to play and if you do what are you really getting?

In all fairness, Rosman's schedule the last several years has been very demanding as 2A Mountain Heritage became an annual powerhouse, and one of the better 2A programs in the western part of the state....Brevard was mired in a long losing streak before making a coaching change, and the result was a trip to the 2A Western Finals last year....2A East Henderson has also drastically improved from when the series with Rosman was scheduled....Madison County played in the Western Finals only a few short years ago as well, and they have remained competitive....The top of the SMC in the last 10 years has yielded 4 different state championship teams from Cherokee,Murphy,Swain County and Robbinsville, and it's been a tough road to hoe for the Tigers after getting beat up in their non-conference schedule, so I'm glad that there have been changes made to the schedule, and hope that the Tigers will be able to compete this year, but I'm NOT optimistic about that at this time...

I can only hope that the next Head Coach whoever that might be will be able to inspire the student body, and get kids to play football, and can somehow get the fan base excited about the upcoming season after getting blind- sided by this latest coaching departure....

Good luck to the next Head Tiger!

Roar Tigers Roar!

Last edited:
Has anyone heard if they are hiring within or looking outside and will any of the current staff still be there? Is Coach Stack taking anyone with him?

Last edited:
I was told 2 days ago that Dan Essenburg was going to return to Rosman to Coach the defense next year, and I now wonder what if any role Dan will have with the Tigers next season with Stack gone?

I was told 2 days ago that Dan Essenburg was going to return to Rosman to Coach the defense next year, and I now wonder what if any role Dan will have with the Tigers next season with Stack gone?
Coach Essenberg was coming back to coach the Defensive Ends is what I was told. Coach Rob was doing the D Tackles. Mark Robinson the Inside Linebackers. Forrest the Outside Linebackers and Coach Rice the DB’s

Last edited:
Hopefully it will be an outside hire , fresh start with someone that knows how to build a program back up . I agree with rick the defense wasn’t very good last cpl Years , but having said that it wasn’t much better before Stack either

Wow.... So much for changing the culture at Rosman.....

Will be interesting to see where the Tigers turn this time?

Stack did a nice job of cleaning up the facilities, but could never seemingly get the Tigers to play defense, and yet he's going to be the defensive coordinator at 5A Easley?

Tigers need to get back to basics, and forget about this uptempo passing offense that resulted in 5 total wins in 2 years...We've never had the atheletes to run that type of offense, and we likely never will....

I've always believed that you have to simulate in practice what you do on friday nights, and have been told by several Tiger fans that we barely even hit in practice anymore, and that was obvious on friday nights the last two years when we seemingly couldn't stop anyone from running the football....

If you don't play a physical style of game in the SMC, you likely are not going to succeed....

Need to go back to running the football, controlling the clock, and playing great defense, and hope that the administration will find a Coach that is willing to do those things....

JMHO!

Roar Tigers Roar!
With all do respect Tigertown. The thought of bringing in an elder statesman to run the the Wing-t will not bring more students out to play football. The game has changed, the kids have changed, the culture has changed. (I'm not sure for the better) From what I've seen there are two in house candidates. Both of whom could continue to grow the program.... On a side note, coach Stack has told me personally how he throughly loved Rosman, and has said nothing but glowing remarks about the kids, administration, staff, and community.

With all do respect Tigertown. The thought of bringing in an elder statesman to run the the Wing-t will not bring more students out to play football. The game has changed, the kids have changed, the culture has changed. (I'm not sure for the better) From what I've seen there are two in house candidates. Both of whom could continue to grow the program.... On a side note, coach Stack has told me personally how he throughly loved Rosman, and has said nothing but glowing remarks about the kids, administration, staff, and community.

I don't blame Coach Stack for leaving....Easley is a big school, and South Carolina as we all know pays their Coaches much better than North Carolina does, and he will be right down the road from Clemson, so it was obviously a good fit for him and his family, and I and other Tiger fans appreciate the hard work that he put in while he was here in Rosman, and wish him luck down South....

As far as Dan returning to Rosman, I have NO inside knowledge other than what I heard on the street....I do know that Dan has a couple grand kids that will be matriculating through the school system, and both will likely play football at some point....Dan did a great job when he was here before, and it will be interesting to see if he has a role with the new Coaching Staff?

Last edited:
Reactions: CHEERDUCK
I guess I will throw in my $0.02 worth.

First of all this is no way a criticism of any one who has coached at Rosman. I try not to criticize any coach publicly. Yes, I sometimes disagree with the decisions coaches make on and off the field. I don't think Rick, is being negative toward anything. He is simply stating the situation as he sees it. If we can't have an honest discussion we might as well have a forum to swap recipes.

With the exception of Coach Bailey, I have known all the head coaches at RHS fairly well. I respect the contribution each one of the made to the program. Although, they had varying levels of success. Coaching is hard work. And unlike you and I on our jobs, every decision they make is seen and discussed by the community. And, as a coach once told me a coach relies on a 15/16/17 year old kid to carry out the coaches' decision. And if a teenage QB is having a bad day with his girlfriend, or arguing with his mom that 20 yard out may get picked. That doesn't excuse sometimes bad decisions by coaches, but there are factors that don't get considered.

Yes, there is a time and a place to blame a coach. But, I think we at least should consider some outside factors that have influenced Tiger Football. From the late 70's to around 2002, Rosman was for the most part successful. During that run we played in two state title games. We were in the run for several conference titles, and we were (I think) considered a tough opponent.

Since those days the economy has changed. Olin and Dupont left. There are fewer job opportunities than before. The county has aged. Fewer kids are coming into the school system. The size requirement for 1A schools has changed. In those earlier times we were a good sized 1A school, now we are a small 1A school. Fewer kids are playing football than did in the glory days Is that a coaching problem? Maybe! But, it could also be that there are more sports opportunities for year round play and a variety of other recreational opportunities that perhaps we didn't enjoy in earlier times.

I think these are factors a coach looking for a job needs to know coming here. And we should also look at the coaches on and off field philosophy. Because the offense and defense they run can be effective (or not) based on number of personnel, size of the kids, etc.

This is just one man's opinion but, I think we should take a good long look at the process. It may even be that we name an interim for this season and focus on a great fit later. It depends on who applies. We may have a great choice who has already applied. We shouldn't let that pressure force us to make a quick decision.

Hayesville, Cherokee, and Rosman starting the season with new head coach. Ouch

Murphy should combine with Hiwasse and Andrew's, so we don't have to make 3 trips over.lol
If Murphy were to combine with those schools that would bring their ADM # to 401 that’s too close for comfort. Probably a bad joke !!!! Nothing but respect for the bulldogs and their program! I’ll apologize in advance and congrats on last years championship.

Welcomed change from the overwhelming majority of parents that have sons that play for Rosman. In fact, it was highly unlikely Rosman was going to have enough players to put a team together next year.
If Rosman wants to truly turn the program around they know who they have to go after. You truly want the communities support, a coach with the highest amount of integrity, truly love the kids, and that will teach the kids to love the game..........ITS TIME TO BRING BRETT BACK TO ROSMAN!

I highly doubt Brett leaves Pisgah anytime soon, he has it made, and the folks and the kids love him and he has the full support of the school, if he does leave anytime soon, it will be for a more high profile job imo.

Reactions: Pisgah Bears
For the record, I never said he wanted to come back. Just that if Rosman is smart they will pursue to see if it is an option because it would highly impact the program.
The only other option, and a great one, is Patrick Chapman. Unfortunately he has promoted to assistant principal so I doubt he would do it. But we can hope!
However, another option is Dusty Robinson. He would be a great choice as well. The students absolutely love him and Chapman and they both have the drive to run the program.
Other than that, there isn’t another option besides outside

Well back in the day Rosman was in polks conference and Brett played then so maybe we know a little . But honestly Rosman can’t pay him anything close to pisgah and no man is gonna go work for peanuts just to say I played here

Reactions: Pisgah Bears
Welcomed change from the overwhelming majority of parents that have sons that play for Rosman. In fact, it was highly unlikely Rosman was going to have enough players to put a team together next year.
If Rosman wants to truly turn the program around they know who they have to go after. You truly want the communities support, a coach with the highest amount of integrity, truly love the kids, and that will teach the kids to love the game..........ITS TIME TO BRING BRETT BACK TO ROSMAN!
You wish...ain't gonna happen!

Brett has said one day he would like to come back to Rosman but I’m sure it be later in his career . And Polk just because you may have played against him doesn’t mean crap in knowing the man

Et tu, Brute??... So, for your first post you attack a coach that spent nearly every waking hour trying to improve your program. Sounds like you have a personal ax to grind. I think coach will still be at the school till the end of the year if, you want to express any differences in person.

BS to Rosman not having enough kids to play I know this my kid is there. Dabbo couldn't have won a state championship with what Stack was given. I like him alot and are very dissapointed he didn't give the kids more time, I felt they deserved this with all things considered. However in the short time he was here he did alot of good for the kids and our program and I can only hope we can get someone that will be dedicated to iur program for several years to come.

Crazier things have happened, but I don't see anyone taking roughly a $15k pay cut to come back to their alma mater.

I think we all want to see him on the sidelines in Rosman, but I don't think that will ever happen, or at least not until his children graduate from Pisgah.

Last edited:
1. No BS, if there was going to be a team, it would be with minimal players and moving JV’s up.
2. And yes, they did have the players to do something with. Coach Fox, Chapman, Dusty Robinson, Essenburg, Weldon Whitmire, and Whitman all could have done something with the group that was there the past two years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT