ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Football

No workouts EXCEPT for the 10 day period....the big schools with full staffs won this one. A single A coach who last Spring went out with one less than a squad now can't. We assume that schools that have multiple volunteer coaches will be able to get them there for ten days in the Spring. It is good for the big boys...not so good for the small enrollments. btw...no contact.

And NO contact. Not quite the SC model. Sounds like the nchsaa won - won't have to worry about more than 21 any more and won't have to worry about policing all semester.

Right you are. Just LESS opportunity to help kids become better players.

Originally posted by BuckinElkin!!:

Why cant the single A coach not do spring?

You sort of lost me.
He can. But most 1A schools have a large number of players involved in other sports and it is difficult to get them all in just one ten day period. In addition many of the coaches will also be involved in other sports.

The bright side to all this may be that the best North Carolina talent will now stay in North Carolina because they won't have put in the time necessary to play for major colleges in states that actually care about high school football.

And NO contact. Not quite the SC model. Sounds like the
nchsaa won
- won't have to worry about more than 21 any more and won't
have to worry about policing all semester.

Not true. I have observed over the years that the NCHSAA is a strange group to deal with. In order to get to the next level (full contact) you have to go through the hoops which in this case getting a spring practice approved. Then the coaches will work on the full contact phase. Plus the fact the coaches will have all of their kids. That is a big step up from the skills development format they have had. I don't see how this will be any different with the 1A schools. The fact that spring practice will occur after all spring sports are finished will mean they will have all their kids at practice as well.

Just LESS opportunity to help kids become better players.

DKJ, Why do you feel this way? To me it is an opportunity to (probably the only opportunity) to get to a spring practice in which full contact is a reality. All I hear is that NC is behind the states that have full contact spring practice. That the current skills development system is better than nothing but not much better. I coached HS FB in a state that had full contact spring practice with a spring scrimmage and I will tell you that it gave us an edge. Personally I never understood the 21 maximum players system. I never understood how the NCHSAA came up with this. To me it cut out a lot of kids who needed the work.

I will share my "concern" with this. In the past, I could go out with as many 1A kids as were not involved in baseball or track and workout from January until May. If a coach only worked his offensive line on Mondays, he still had 20 opportunities to go out with that one position. If he wanted twice a week, he had 40 opportunitites. One coach available? Still got some good work in.

Roll forward.... at SSHS, my dc is a baseball coach. My head jv is a baseball coach. The rest of the staff work outside of my halls. What if baseball is in the playoffs (with our great program we have gone to the finals three of the last four years)? They might be playing up until exams. I am not concerned about players missing...but, now if I am at a small setting I may be looking at ten days of football by myself...or with one or two community coaches as their other job allows them to participate.

If you have plenty of help, this is not a bad deal. If you worked your kids in small groups all Spring, this is not the better choice....imo.

Re: Spring Football[/URL]Sleehrat84 posted on 12/5/2014...

I will share my "concern" with this. In the past, I could go out with as many 1A kids as were not involved in baseball or track and workout from January until May. If a coach only worked his offensive line on Mondays, he still had 20 opportunities to go out with that one position. If he wanted twice a week, he had 40 opportunitites. One coach available? Still got some good work in.

Roll forward.... at SSHS, my dc is a baseball coach. My head jv is a baseball coach. The rest of the staff work outside of my halls. What if baseball is in the playoffs (with our great program we have gone to the finals three of the last four years)? They might be playing up until exams. I am not concerned about players missing...but, now if I am at a small setting I may be looking at ten days of football by myself...or with one or two community coaches as their other job allows them to participate.

If you have plenty of help, this is not a bad deal. If you worked your kids in small groups all Spring, this is not the better choice....imo.

Subject:
The chasm between the "bigs" and the "littles" just keeps growing and growing....

No,1RamsFan, as much as I respect your opinion and insight on many topics, I have to disagree on this one. NC will not in most of our coaching lifetimes adopt a policy of full fledged Spring Practice. I have had NCHSAA officials tell me that.

What everyone is missing is the fact that with the present system there are plenty of days/opportunities for all of the available kids to be engaged in Skill Development. There were in excess of 60 days available in the winter and spring. Now there are 10. It is still only skill Development. the coaches who pushed this believe this is a short stepping stone process to getting REAL spring practice. The NCHSAA knows that is what they think and it is not going to happen anytime soon.

It is quite easy to bring in different position groups on different days. Some are being quite disingenuous when they claim they have to turn kids away. Not if they plan, organize and schedule. How many schools have more than 21 RB's and QB's on the varsity and JV combined. Not many. Most teams do not have in excess of 21 OL. If they do they can split into 2 different days. Same with DL, LB's, DB's etc. Of course you would have to turn kids away if you tried to make it "team" practice but that is no the intent of skill development. It is supposed to be about developing kids to become better players, not installing your O and D.

Having coached and played in NC when NOTHING was allowed in the off season, I can assure you that many kids will suffer and not benefit from this. How much "developmental improvement" are the kids going to make in one week and three days? Not much. As a coach you know that development is a process and that it takes place over time, not over a week and a half.

I would be fine with letting whoever wants to do it this way do so. I just do not appreciate the fact that I have to sit on my hands and do nothing just because some other coaches choose not to.

This post was edited on 12/5 1:37 PM by DKJ

This post was edited on 12/5 1:40 PM by DKJ

DKJ, Actually my proposal would have been to allow either one system or the other. I have been told on many occasions that the NCHSAA does n ot make policy. That in fact the coaches make the policies. If that NCHSAA official told you this then they are a bunch of hypocrites and need to be held accountable. In your opinion why are they so dead set against a full contact spring practice?

This post was edited on 12/5 3:06 PM by No.1RamsFan

Sleehrat, How many assistant coaches do you have? If your concern is your volunteer coaches not being able to get there, how do they get there for practice during the season?

One of the main issues that Davis Whitfield cited was "concussions being such a concern, why would they allow us to hit even more". He adamantly stated that this is "not Spring Football".

If they gave us a choice I would not say a word about it. I would just carry on and let those who want 10 days have at it.
This post was edited on 12/5 3:30 PM by DKJ

The one position this will impact more than any other is the QB

Taking all of those days away takes an awful lot of time away from developing a QB with his mechanics. You have 10 days to use to acclimate the QB to his receivers AND work on basic mechanics.

I agree with coach that this will hurt more than help. That is a lot of time to work with individual position groups on technique that is now gone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT