ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Eligibility Proposal

What is this telling the kids?

What is more important. School or sports?

"It's ok to fail your classes, we will still let you play"

I am a coach and I am facing some issues with players, but I make a point to get to them and make sure they get their work done.

Coach, I am with you on that. Too many systems have devalued the diploma already so many kids just think the system will pass them so they can play sports and graduate. There are some hard cases where kids are disadvantaged, but many are simply just not doing the work, attending classes on campus or online. I have been fussing at mine all semester and if they are ineligible it is on them for not doing what they are supposed to do. Not to mention the parents not pushing the kids or staying on them. It is called parent portal and anyone can sign up for it and monitor grades. I am pretty sure even the very poor kids folks have cell phones. I cannot speak for other systems, but I know the one I am in kids are not attending class or doing the work like they are capable of.

Eligibility should be waved until all schools have the option to reenter at full capacity. Many kids are at such a disadvantage right now that we can't even fathom. Why should they be punished? If they're taking advantage of the system and not doing their work that they have the resources to do, then sure, let's keep them out.

Eligibility should be waved until all schools have the option to reenter at full capacity. Many kids are at such a disadvantage right now that we can't even fathom. Why should they be punished? If they're taking advantage of the system and not doing their work that they have the resources to do, then sure, let's keep them out.

The schools will have to make it all or none to make that happen, unless the NCHSAA or state DPI amends the guidelines due to covid issues. I predict the state will go back to the same policy they used in the spring and give the kids a "pass" due to covid issues and the inconsistency of schools being remote, A/B, online hybrid, etc. Time will tell!

I'm skeptical about them doing so. Especially without federal test waivers thanks to that witch over the federal department of education.

Most the time it comes down to playing video games, socializing outside of school, or working. Capability of doing the work and being online is there, they just don't do it. I have worked harder this year keeping guys eligible than I ever thought I would. Never once have I hoped they wave the eligibility rules. I worked harder to keep my guys able to play. That i what we should do as educators is help these kids, not let them drown.

Reactions: ItsATrap and Wow71
So what is help? I agree that it’s not a matter of lacking technology but often misplaced priorities. I know our coach has begged kids to do their work yet many have not. It’s rumored that if the season started today we might lose 25% of our kids. In our situation many have chosen to work for money instead of grades. This is a parent issue as much as anything and to a certain extent a local employer issue.

So, what is help? The NCHSAA knows that one of the best drop out prevention programs they have is athletics. That fact leads one to believe that they might be swayed to at least come up with a compromise like the one coach Hickman from W Brunswick has proposed. If they don’t there will be more kids than ever dropping out and walking the streets.

On the other hand there is a part of me that says we’ve given too much too long. Everyone either has or wants a parachute these days. Sometimes people have to hit rock bottom before they realize the responsibility for helping ones self begins with them. Failure is a hard lesson but a good teacher. I admit I am torn. Does anyone feel strongly about either of these sides?

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Eligibility is always a difficult concept. The more and more people study the more they realize that root of bad grades have a lot more to do with factors that students do not control and have the tools and support to combat and less than a student simply choosing to to fail. Hence the push for equity. I am all for holding players to standards but also providing avenues and the support for them to overcome failures. With this semester being how it is and the failure rates across the board consideration has to be given towards amnesty until we get through this mess.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
I too am really torn on this issue, and glad I neither have to make the decision, nor have a kid going through it.

For those of you who are coaches, do teachers have the ability to determine those who simply don’t log on versus those who at least are making the attempt? I know it would make it more complex, but I think there is a difference between those who fail despite the effort, because they can’t adapt to the learning environment, and those who never even make an attempt. Perhaps they should be measured differently.

Additionally, failure to even show up virtually is the same as missing in person school. Could there be a maximum number of days missed that makes a player ineligible? Hunter Thompson said “half of life is just showing up”.

Though the virtual learning is not easy and most knew it wouldn't be, not setting up strong guidelines and procedures and then deal with issues on an individual basis made virtual education a joke.

Reactions: UNC91
Teachers know if they are there. I don’t know that all systems applied the standards equally but there were recommendations made for virtual learning and most adopted then one thing that has really made this difficult for teachers is DPI made it mandatory that students be allowed 7 days to complete assignments. If a student complete their assignments within that window they are also counted present. It’s my understanding that this has made keeping accurate attendance records a nightmare. Hence, I don’t see any way attendance will be tied to eligibility. Since the NCHSAA dropped the attendance rule a few years ago some systems have already done away with it.

The 7 day window rationale was that if a student doesn’t have WiFi at home 7 days was/is enough to find access. Honestly, I am a big advocate for athletic participation but if a kid today can’t find a way to access the internet within 7 days, he/she doesn’t want to. I think school systems have gone way above and beyond to assist these kids. I’m not up on all the social media stuff but if a kid can participate in that can they not do their schoolwork?

I’m w OC. Glad I don’t have to make the call or deal with it. Just heard this morning that Durham County is giving all students A’s on final exams. WTF!! Last I heard they weren’t allowing any athletic participation of any kind but if they change their mind for spring those A’s will do a lot to help their kids be eligible. How fair is that?

Well it goes with the prevailing attitudes of people today. When things get hard go home be safe and if it’s hard we will give you a pass. I mean honestly I feel for the position we’ve put poor people in during this pandemic. Some kids don’t have the resources or the parents to help homeschool them. What’s safer for them staying at home failing all their classes, then suit them up for football when they have no chance of being eligible for college? Or send them to school and tell them life’s hard, sometimes people die, sometimes things get tough, but you keep going you work hard, you persevere. Guarantee you most poor kids would rather be in school than at home. But the powers that be have little kids driving around in Escalades and Lord forbid they get exposed to covid. Guess what those kids are out everyday all day with their friends anyway. The kids that are suffering are the ones that need school, structure, accountability, and sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT