ADVERTISEMENT

SP at Hibriten

Hibriten has the ball to start the 2nd half - not starting well. The Panthers fumbled the ball but recovered; however, they lost 7 yds. Hibriten forced to punt. SP on the SP44. Alexander to midfield plus a facemask penalty put the Raiders on the H39. A 2nd down pass from Lee to Muse got the Raiders into the redzone - H13. However, Raiders unable to get any closer; 32 yd FG attempt short.

Hibriten with the ball at their own 20. A 2nd down run moved them to the H35 for the 1st down; two plays later, to the H45. Despite a 2nd and 15 deficit, the Panthers managed to eke out a couple more 1st downs into SP territory (SP 35). Another 1st down put the Panthers on the SP17. However, a muffed pitch recovered by the Panthers brought up 3rd and 13. However, a Raider facemask penalty on the next play gave them a 1st down on the SP9. However, SP was able to hold and force them to turn over the ball on downs at the SP 12.
Did you notice that the face mask penalty didn't bring an automatic first down but instead made it 3rd and 5?? Was very confused by the call

I was also very impressed with SP tonight... Congrats and Hood Luck next week

Great game tonight from the SP Defense and the offense just kept punching and found enough success. Hibriten defense is very solid. They close on the ball and I believe them to be the most solid tackling team that I have seen this year. The speed advantage did not show up. SP defense was every bit as fast as the Hibriten offense. Hibriten showed a lot of class in the loss. Good luck to the Panthers in the future.

Did you notice that the face mask penalty didn't bring an automatic first down but instead made it 3rd and 5?? Was very confused by the call

It's not an automatic 1st down in high school. It was 3rd and 1 and we couldn't get it. We ran 39 plays for 120 yds.

The only automatic first downs in high school football are roughing the snapper, kicker & passer.
Hibriten's first 1st down of the night came at 7:58 in the third quarter. Hibriten's lack of size at CB was exposed by SP, great job by SP coaching staff on attacking. Hibriten had no answer for Muse and Grier's size. Again great job by SP coaching staff. That hook & lateral play was huge and that is the play that Watauga scored on Hibriten when they played. Just about the same area.

Reactions: coondog8585
The 1st 2 offensive plays were a fumble and a safety.
We missed 2 wide open receivers that would have made the game competitive but at the end of the day SP could have threw it all night if they wanted too.

I made a few flip comments in the run up to this game about not noticing the talent on Hibriten's team during our scrimmage last summer. Watching your team run onto the field, and witnessing the passion with which they played tonight actually makes me feel bad about doing so. Hibriten is AN OUTSTANDING FOOTBALL TEAM! South Point is in the unique position of having a defense full of future college players. They won't all be playing D1...but they will be playing after next Saturday. Mickey brilliantly used our main D-1 player (we have others) to get Hibriten's defense to loosen up just enough for us to have an effective running game. Congrats to Hibriten on reaching the western finals and best of luck in the future!

I agree, your pass defenders were just too short. All we had to do was throw it high and down the field and Muse could go up and get it. Nothing magic there. Just a tall, gifted receiver using his size and catching ability to make it look easy. Not a typical way at all for SP to win it. As a matter of fact I am not sure when I ever saw a SP team pass for more yards than running. The Hibriten defense was very good and if we had depended on our typical running game, we may have been in trouble.

Thanks LTown. Sorry to hear about the Wolves tonight. Tough loss. You had a great team this year and playing you early had a big impact on our season. We took our lumps from you but it is paying off now.

Reactions: sasha_nc
You have to give it up to SP. That was one hell of a game plan coming into tonight and they executed.

It's always the same story year after year -- soft schedule leading into the playoffs and ultimately this game (for the 4th time). Not sure what the rest of you want us to do about the schedule, honestly??? It is what it is. We could've/should've beaten Bandys ('03) and West Rowan ('10) but tonight was a totally different experience.

I laughed at Simmons prediction even though I thought this team might be special/different. South Point is one of the blue blood progams at this level -- they've been on this stage regularly and that will always mean something.

Hate that it got chippy at the end -- Hibriten players (teenagers!!) clearly just frustrated. I'm sure SP has seen that before, though. Proud Coach Lewis reigned it in quickly.

I have no doubt we've got the talent to make a 5th attempt at this Western Regional Championship thing again in the near future. WE WILL BREAK THROUGH ... EVENTUALLY.

Best of luck to SP next week -- go get your revenge!

Yo, panther nation -- we had a great season with 14 wins (school record) and a conference title!!!! Hey, here's to being in the same position next year ........ and then getting waxed by Shelby!

Hibriten is an awesome team. Talent is obvious to anyone who knows and loves the game. You are absolutely correct about the preparation of the SP defense. Our defensive coordinator is second to none! However, all this talk about an absence of talent on the SP defense is beyond absurd. There are AT LEAST 3 Div 1 (FCS) ballers on the SP defense, and multiple more who will play in college. 2016 SP defense is EPIC!

It's not an automatic 1st down in high school. It was 3rd and 1 and we couldn't get it. We ran 39 plays for 120 yds.
Thanks for the clarification on the call.. In no way was I trying to say it cost us a chance for a comeback because we were dominated in every aspect of the game last night from coaching to offense to defense!!!!! But we did have more kickoff return yards then SP last night!!!! Lol

Great song played over the loud speakers before the game started - Heartache Tonight by The Eagles............

I noticed that too! Thought it was a GREAT OMEN!

Yeah they played that before we played them. Unfortunately we were the ones who had the heartache. Congratulations South Point. Didn't think anyone could stop that offense you proved me wrong.

Several things from the game.... offensively Hibriten struggled for the first time this season, credit SP defense for much of this. The lack of performance from Hib offense put the defense in bad position all night. No defense can stand without some help when playing a team like SP. Clearly, the Red Raiders were the best team last night from start to finish. Great season for both!

I had Wheaties with xtra honey this morning...it helped dilute the crow taste.

Scotty Lee (SP quaterback) was exceptional. He's come a long way this year. I thought that position and our lack of break away speed would be the Achilles heel for us. Fortunately with a great team around him he's had a chance to develop.

Congrats SP, sounded like their D really came to play n Hibriten just had a snowball effect game..happens to everyone. Whoamule, you can try n say that all you want but any team on Hibritens side would have destroyed you as well. SP shouldnt need any extra motivation next week

Although the burns bulldog offense scored more on them then anybody all season.....just kiddn guys ...HUGE win and the shocker of the year . Wow ....go win it ....i am pulling for ya !!!!

You have to give it up to SP. That was one hell of a game plan coming into tonight and they executed.

It's always the same story year after year -- soft schedule leading into the playoffs and ultimately this game (for the 4th time). Not sure what the rest of you want us to do about the schedule, honestly??? It is what it is. We could've/should've beaten Bandys ('03) and West Rowan ('10) but tonight was a totally different experience.

I laughed at Simmons prediction even though I thought this team might be special/different. South Point is one of the blue blood progams at this level -- they've been on this stage regularly and that will always mean something.

Hate that it got chippy at the end -- Hibriten players (teenagers!!) clearly just frustrated. I'm sure SP has seen that before, though. Proud Coach Lewis reigned it in quickly.

I have no doubt we've got the talent to make a 5th attempt at this Western Regional Championship thing again in the near future. WE WILL BREAK THROUGH ... EVENTUALLY.

Best of luck to SP next week -- go get your revenge!

Yo, panther nation -- we had a great season with 14 wins (school record) and a conference title!!!! Hey, here's to being in the same position next year ........ and then getting waxed by Shelby!

Congratulations to the Panthers this season. That has to be a gut wrenching loss. We knew we had a defense that could keep the game close but we never expected this type of domination. I didn't see the chipiness at all, to the contrary, I thought everyone there from Hibriten was a class act from what we saw. With all your fans leaving early at the end and having to pass right by us in the endzone bleachers, not one word was said out of line. You have a great team and fanbase and you should be proud. Your time will come. By the way, this was the first time in your stadium since the 1979 icebowl. Very nice improvements since then. I hope we have the chance to come back again some day. Good luck to you in future.

It's not an automatic 1st down in high school. NOR is there a "tackle box" Intentional grounding can be called anywhere along the line of scrimmage in HS ball. Someone ought to tell the radio guys that.

Whoamule, you can try n say that all you want but any team on Hibritens side would have destroyed you as well. Shoulda Coulda Woulda ,....Right?

Boy was I wrong- and how sweet it is!!!! I thought this would be a nail biting low scoring game. That didn't happen.
I thought Hibriten was an undefeated fourth round playoff team acclimated to the conditions that Friday night posed. I think yall probably had a really good team in warmer weather. Things didn't look great on Friday for you....your kids didn't seem as eager as our boys did.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT