ADVERTISEMENT

Southwest Stallions

SWOSTALLION2010

Mar 13, 2020
First, I would like to apologize for hijacking that thread about Richlands new coach. Okay superstar said:

“If I'm living in past your accepting mediocre as okay. We once went to 4 state title games in in like 6 years and won 3.
Going undefeated in the weakest conference in 1a or 2a doesn't impress me. Losing to Jacksonville and Northside on a yearly bases does not impress me. SWO better start remembering the past because losing to just okay Northeastern is not exactly what I call SWO like!
When did it become cool to say we lost in eastern finals?”

As great as Coach Padgett’s career was, that run featured a great group of athletes and started with his second Eastern Finals as a coach in 1999 in his 12TH SEASON!! His first 5 seasons were in the weakest 1A conference in the state, the Coastal Plains 1A. Were you calling Stallion Football mediocre then? Coach Padgett learned his trade over the first 11 years and took us to the State Championship game in 1999, with a big help from a great line led by high school All American Charlie Dempsey. After losing in 1999, Coach Padgett led us back in 2000 to win it all!!! Then he led us to 3 more State Titles as Coach before retiring as the greatest coach in Onslow County history. All I’m saying is, the past ain’t gonna win us any games now and Coach Dempsey has our future in good hands. What if y’all would have run off Coach Padgett after 5 seasons? Am I satisfied with losing two 2A Eastern Finals in a row? Hell no!!!! Just like I wasn’t satisfied with 1st round losses in the 1A playoffs in 1988 and 1991, or second round losses in the 1A playoffs in 1990, 1992, 1993 and 1995. I’m so glad we stuck with Phil Padgett as our coach and supported him and every one of those teams that wore black and orange at Southwest High School. Superstar, give it a try nowadays.

The past was great. Next year might be the greatest. But it's THIS YEAR that I'm excited about. Let's get ready to Rumble in the East and further.

As a man who graduated from SWO and had two sons graduate, my roots are orange and black. You cannot compare a NC hall of fame coach, to a coach who hasnt won ANYTHING. Three small communities within SWO feed the best players in SWO history, Dempsey cant relate to them boys like Phil did. Phil went out of his way to help many brothers to be able to play ball and better their lives. Phil surrounded himself with leaders in all walks of life, Tommy Barnes, Mark Price, Eric Leary, Jeff Cobb, Tommy Tucker, Dave Mcloud and many more. Phil left and so did his right hand man Tommy Barnes. You have to understand this. Not sure, did you go to SWO in 2010 or started following them. SWO won titles playing in tje hardest conf in the state year in and year out. No 2a split...... Football today is totally different now at SWO. We barley beating richlands LOSING TO DIXON??? Please explain...........

As a man who graduated from SWO and had two sons graduate, my roots are orange and black. You cannot compare a NC hall of fame coach, to a coach who hasnt won ANYTHING. Three small communities within SWO feed the best players in SWO history, Dempsey cant relate to them boys like Phil did. Phil went out of his way to help many brothers to be able to play ball and better their lives. Phil surrounded himself with leaders in all walks of life, Tommy Barnes, Mark Price, Eric Leary, Jeff Cobb, Tommy Tucker, Dave Mcloud and many more. Phil left and so did his right hand man Tommy Barnes. You have to understand this. Not sure, did you go to SWO in 2010 or started following them. SWO won titles playing in tje hardest conf in the state year in and year out. No 2a split...... Football today is totally different now at SWO. We barley beating richlands LOSING TO DIXON??? Please explain...........

One question for you UNC91, but you have to answer it honestly:
Was Coach Padgett in the Hall of Fame after his first 5 years?

Reactions: Tiger_Pride21
One question for you UNC91, but you have to answer it honestly:
Was Coach Padgett in the Hall of Fame after his first 5 years?

Ha what coach goes in after 5 years? You must not follow the game of football much.

Ha what coach goes in after 5 years? You must not follow the game of football much.

Either you're being funny or just plain stupid. The whole point is that even the great Phil Padgett took some time to hone his craft. First won the big one in his 13th season. Coach Dempsey still has plenty of time. Did you want to run Coach Padgett out of town when he had one of the most talented teams in local history in 1991 and was ranked #1 in the state and lost to the last seed in the first round? Nope. Just give Coach Dempsey and the kids at Southwest now a chance.

Reactions: Tiger_Pride21
Fued at the corral. Easy now. Can't compare! Not fair! Phil gone. Judge him on his merits only. Looks like to me Dempsey is the man. Is making y'alls stallions his team. Kevin is doing that in Teachey. Very seldom it happens like it did for Joy Price. It didn't happen for Phil and most others in one year. Kevin at WRH was loaded with solid senior class his first year and new how to keep them coached up. I'm in management myself and I think Dempsey has over achieved with what he inherited so far. That's a good thing but he has his stallions ready to compete for title every year going foward.

Reactions: UNC91
If it was me, Dempsey would have never gotten the job. SWO was a powerhouse program in the state, they didn't rebilt they reloaded. Now kids are playing at Jville n NS that live in SWO area, this NEVER happened with Phil. Dempsey resume is trash....... 2 eastern finals with a cupcake road to the eastern finals. Both them teams should not have made it out the 2nd round, we allllll know this.

If it was me, Dempsey would have never gotten the job. SWO was a powerhouse program in the state, they didn't rebilt they reloaded. Now kids are playing at Jville n NS that live in SWO area, this NEVER happened with Phil. Dempsey resume is trash....... 2 eastern finals with a cupcake road to the eastern finals. Both them teams should not have made it out the 2nd round, we allllll know this.
But they did and continues to improved. What has your other local teams accomplished. Nothing really. Now,I'm not a stallion fan, but stallions fans are spoiled. Champonships can do that to communities and totally ruin the mood and future of teams. Let the coach do his job. Support is what he needs.

Reactions: SWO-#1 and UNC91
"Tradition". I will not pretend I know the insides of our program, but this is what I do know about what inspired greatness out of young men who need an outlet. SWO football was built on Grey Town RD, Springdale, Kenwood, plum point, Murrill hill. That bond between that area was brought together by the game of football.

Yes if you look back I bashed Coach Padgett in post after post. I use to go by the screen name SWOboyclub. I thought Coach P was very mediocre. The defense with Jerrell Revells and Marcus Jones could be considered the best in the entire state, and they lost in a opening round. I thought Padgett's use of one RB 40 times a game annoyed the hell out of me.

SWO had it figured out at one time. By that I mean who took care of our student athlete. Some players need tooters, guy sometimes come from hard environments and need a place to lay there head. Do you know what it feels like to be the man of your house at 16 and somebody wants you to go to school. Padgett keep the community. Hines Rd, blue Creek Rd, Padgett made sure the community took care of his guys.

Dempsey is good, I have never doubted his ability to teach, and his lines are always good to me. Dempsey lost his speed because he didn't understand his community!!!!!!!!! I will leave it at that..

"Tradition". I will not pretend I know the insides of our program, but this is what I do know about what inspired greatness out of young men who need an outlet. SWO football was built on Grey Town RD, Springdale, Kenwood, plum point, Murrill hill. That bond between that area was brought together by the game of football.

Yes if you look back I bashed Coach Padgett in post after post. I use to go by the screen name SWOboyclub. I thought Coach P was very mediocre. The defense with Jerrell Revells and Marcus Jones could be considered the best in the entire state, and they lost in a opening round. I thought Padgett's use of one RB 40 times a game annoyed the hell out of me.

SWO had it figured out at one time. By that I mean who took care of our student athlete. Some players need tooters, guy sometimes come from hard environments and need a place to lay there head. Do you know what it feels like to be the man of your house at 16 and somebody wants you to go to school. Padgett keep the community. Hines Rd, blue Creek Rd, Padgett made sure the community took care of his guys.

Dempsey is good, I have never doubted his ability to teach, and his lines are always good to me. Dempsey lost his speed because he didn't understand his community!!!!!!!!! I will leave it at that..
Why you leaving it at that. You already opened the box now.

Either you're being funny or just plain stupid. The whole point is that even the great Phil Padgett took some time to hone his craft. First won the big one in his 13th season. Coach Dempsey still has plenty of time. Did you want to run Coach Padgett out of town when he had one of the most talented teams in local history in 1991 and was ranked #1 in the state and lost to the last seed in the first round? Nope. Just give Coach Dempsey and the kids at Southwest now a chance.

Dempsey inherited a team coming off a state championship appearance. Are you saying Phil who inherited a school not a program that was less than 10 years old is the same?

He had Shackem his rookie season, and of he should have had more, but some how guys stop playing that were playing?

I like Dempsey let me make that clear. I am talking SWO football!

Hit the nail on the head. Never question Dempsey ability to coach football. The best coach aint always the right coach. Dempsey can't relate to these boys. I grew up in Georgetown and raised two boys in Georgetown. Kids from this area dreamed to put on the black and orange friday nights, at a early age. Not anymore, Jacksonville and Northside are beating SWO with SWO own. Never in my life thought this would happen. Should have gave the job to young Kendric Burney who bleeds orange and black. He wanted it, was in process bringing back some great old stallions, kendric brooks, Dakota Marshall, Richard koonce to help him coach.

Hit the nail on the head. Never question Dempsey ability to coach football. The best coach aint always the right coach. Dempsey can't relate to these boys. I grew up in Georgetown and raised two boys in Georgetown. Kids from this area dreamed to put on the black and orange friday nights, at a early age. Not anymore, Jacksonville and Northside are beating SWO with SWO own. Never in my life thought this would happen. Should have gave the job to young Kendric Burney who bleeds orange and black. He wanted it, was in process bringing back some great old stallions, kendric brooks, Dakota Marshall, Richard koonce to help him coach.
Some of community falls on coach,no doubt! Most of the community falls on community.

Some of community falls on coach,no doubt! Most of the community falls on community.

100% right. Once proud SWO community didn't like the hire of Dempsey. So they went in different direction via Jacksonville and NS. For example, SWO home side used to be packed and jumping 1997-2012. I didnt miss a game for 16 season straight. Now its sad to watch a eastern finals vs WRH few years back, stands not even close to be full. WRH drug SWO that night. Could have been 70-0 SWO had no game plan just excited to be there.

True, but Dempsey was given the keys to all kind of outlets to the community, and by that I mean resources into homes, and really able to reach at risk boys, and give them a positive environment.

Dempsey is going to coach who showed up to try outs, unfortunately everybody can't make tryouts.

When you went out in Jacksonville, and people saw orange and black, they thought SWO football. Kids wanted to play for our team and our colors.

Dempsey needs to win a championship, but without the speed, I really doubt it!

True, but Dempsey was given the keys to all kind of outlets to the community, and by that I mean resources into homes, and really able to reach at risk boys, and give them a positive environment.

Dempsey is going to coach who showed up to try outs, unfortunately everybody can't make tryouts.

When you went out in Jacksonville, and people saw orange and black, they thought SWO football. Kids wanted to play for our team and our colors.

Dempsey needs to win a championship, but without the speed, I really doubt it!

He'll never win without speedddddddd. You cant teach speed.

Unc91, that goes back to my first point. Padgett only could beat our conference for years, but that was him learning, it was not about boys not wanting to play for his program.

Dempsey needs to find away to become more visible to Grey Town, Georgetown, Murrill Hill, and other communities that he is uncomfortable in. If not we will lose to Richlands, and he will go into administration, and our program will be a school waiting to lose a conference game, and we know it's all over then.

Reactions: Arlandis and UNC91
Dempsey still ranks pretty high in my book. He is still better coach than Holley, he is more fundamentally sound than Pollock at Northside (Can't forget he faced some problems a little over a year ago with his methods). Dempsey still up holds tradition of beating Richlands, and he gets a pass by not beating Jacksonville and Northside because honestly those schools are big in comparison with his, and has good coaching.

Dempsey still ranks pretty high in my book. He is still better coach than Holley, he is more fundamentally sound than Pollock at Northside (Can't forget he faced some problems a little over a year ago with his methods). Dempsey still up holds tradition of beating Richlands, and he gets a pass by not beating Jacksonville and Northside because honestly those schools are big in comparison with his, and has good coaching.

Dempsey is no where near Holley or Pollock. With the size SWO has had in the last three years, SWO whould have atleast one title with either coach. Pollock gets the best outta his young men, never the most talent, but his boys come ready to play. Holley studies the game better then any coach around. Dempsey cant figure out who to put where on the field. He surrounded himself with castoff coaches from dixon. SWO is a community built school and program, until you can relate to them boys, good luck. If SWO was in WRH and Clinton and JK conf, they prob dont make the playoffs........

Dempsey is no where near Holley or Pollock. With the size SWO has had in the last three years, SWO whould have atleast one title with either coach. Pollock gets the best outta his young men, never the most talent, but his boys come ready to play. Holley studies the game better then any coach around. Dempsey cant figure out who to put where on the field. He surrounded himself with castoff coaches from dixon. SWO is a community built school and program, until you can relate to them boys, good luck. If SWO was in WRH and Clinton and JK conf, they prob dont make the playoffs........
What kind of mess is this comparing coaches like that. I couldn't face these guys if I had done that. I know most of them. All I know, they want what's best for kids and school.

What kind of mess is this comparing coaches like that. I couldn't face these guys if I had done that. I know most of them. All I know, they want what's best for kids and school.

I feel your view if your internal, I can only look at the resume and the game itself. I respect coaches and parents, but the reality of sports is naming a winner and loser. I never bash kids, but a paid adult I say, "earn your money"!

Reactions: dogs79 and UNC91
Dempsey inherited a team coming off a state championship appearance. Are you saying Phil who inherited a school not a program that was less than 10 years old is the same?

He had Shackem his rookie season, and of he should have had more, but some how guys stop playing that were playing?

I like Dempsey let me make that clear. I am talking SWO football!

Check your Stallion history, Coach Padgett’s last game was a 45-21 loss to Clinton in the Eastern Finals in 2014. He saw the cupboard was bare for 2015 and jumped ship and retired. Coach Padgett was a good coach his first 12 years, but started being a great coach in season 13, when he learned how to take his team to the next level. Coach Dempsey will take a little time to grow things each year, too. The weak Coastal Plains 1A conference hurt us then like the weak Coastal 8 2A/1A conference hurts us now. Best thing that ever happened to Coach Padgett’s career and the Stallions was when we went to the East Central. Coach Padgett had a great career and so will Coach Dempsey.

Reactions: superstar57
Done with you. You’re not a Southwest fan, you’re a fan of a coach. You don’t care about the kids at Southwest. You don’t even give Coach Dempsey a chance. You have no idea what he done for some of these kids who have no heat on bitter cold nights or who lost their family home to a house fire. Look at how many he’s already sent on to play college ball. Keep living in the past, while we keep supporting the Southwest Stallion family and our community kids and our coaches. See you in a State Title game soon.

superstar57, it’s gonna be a great year. Looking forward to it. See you at Phil Padgett Field at The Corral !!!

SWOSTALLIONS2010, Dempsey needs a chip bad! No other way around it! I could seat here and argue how he is shooting himself in the foot all day, but I do wish him success, and I have praised him, but I rest on my case that he has isolated a portion of his base, and that portion just by chance happens to be his speed.

Dean Smith was a great coach, but did not win it all until he had Jordan, Worthy, and Perkins all on the same team. Meaning Dempsey is a really solid coach (I stand by that). I just don't see a ring without him getting the players that are in his area to come play for him.

Plain and simple he needs the brothas back on the team. It is always difficult to work with people you are not use to, but in the end he will find that he actually needs them, just like they need a coach who understands them too.

Name one ring Phil won without the services of Pollock's, Hardison's, and Brooks on his squad? Try to find some of those names now that are on our squad. Blame the community if you want, but great leaders find a way!

Well, not the type of thread I was hoping for. Not a native of South West or even NC. A Marine Corps transplant since 1982. My kids grad SWO and was in the community on Blue Creek Rd for over 20 years. Watched a lot of kids go thru and enjoyed watching them play. A team is the whole, not just coaches, players, parents, and the area as a whole unit together. Sometimes it all comes together and sometimes not. Lets support the whole and not just parts.

I am retired in Missouri now but still follow the Stallions through thick and thin. I will be back this year, hopefully with game coverage on here. I expect to make it back sometime this fall and again watch in person the Black and Orange take the field.

I will depart this thread with this one thought. I shoot Rim Fire Bench rest rifle matches across the country. On forums on National levels there is a motto ..... Show up and Shoot. Just like any forum there are what are called Key Board Shooters. Never see them at Professional Shooting League matches or any other National sanctioned events. But they know what is wrong with it and how to make it better. They know more than any of the top level shooters and shoot better, but only with a keyboard. Dont be a keyboard fan, Show up and Support the program, In Person, and not just on here.

GO STALLIOOOOOOOOOOONS

I was curious about this post so I went back and checked. Holley is 4-1 head to head with Dempsey. For whatever that is worth to this discussion.

I was curious about this post so I went back and checked. Holley is 4-1 head to head with Dempsey. For whatever that is worth to this discussion.

I count Dempsey's eastern finals appearances pretty high. Similar situation in replacing legends, and I feel SWO under Dempsey is closer to a chip than E. Duplin.

Mad respected for Holley however.

ED has had our number for years. In 2002 SWO at ED wow. ED beat the breaks off SWO that night. Swo QB adric hudson was hit so hard that game sent him off in an ambulance, didnt move on the field for 20 mins. ED always had talent, tion Powell one of the fastest players ive ever seen play highschool football.

I count Dempsey's eastern finals appearances pretty high. Similar situation in replacing legends, and I feel SWO under Dempsey is closer to a chip than E. Duplin.

Mad respected for Holley however.
Dont know that I would go off that either. Holley has 3 regional finals appearances (one at Kinston in 09, and 2 at ED 16, 17), Dempsey has 2 (17,18). Holley also made it to the title game in 17. I would put far more stock in the job Holley did at Kinston in 08 and 09 as that program was not at the same level then as it is now. Give me Holley any day in this comparison.

Dont know that I would go off that either. Holley has 3 regional finals appearances (one at Kinston in 09, and 2 at ED 16, 17), Dempsey has 2 (17,18). Holley also made it to the title game in 17. I would put far more stock in the job Holley did at Kinston in 08 and 09 as that program was not at the same level then as it is now. Give me Holley any day in this comparison.

I'd take Holley any day of the week over Dempsey. ED always had 2 or 3 kids that were gamechangers. SWO has 7 or 8 game changers every year, Holley would have a game plan every year to reach the title game. Dempsey has SWO thinking eastern finals APPEARANCE is a great season. SWO blown out in Dempsey eastern finals apperance. WRH beat the breaks off SWO to go the title game AT THE CORRAL. Would never happen with Holley

Man, I'm looking forward to this season. If the virus will leave us alone, could be a great year at The Corral. Great group of Stallions returning and looks like a lot of athletes moving up. Good looking group moving over from Southwest Middle School, too. Hope the season goes off on time!!

Coach Holley has done a great job at East Duplin, including 2 Eastern Finals appearances(2016 and 2017) and a State Title appearance in 2017. East Duplin is one of the best programs in the state that has never won a State Title. I thing Coach Holley will get one eventually.

The SWO-ED rivalry has been a great one in our area. East Duplin leads the series 12-11. The last 2 years have been classics. In 2018 at The Corral, the Stallions went for 2 after a touchdown with almost no time remaining, coming up a foot short and ED won 22-21. Last year in Beulaville, the Stallions and Panthers traded scores all through the second half, but the Stallions scored last on a double pass to win 21-14. This year's game should be another instant classic!!

Reactions: SWO-#1 and UNC91
Man, I'm looking forward to this season. If the virus will leave us alone, could be a great year at The Corral. Great group of Stallions returning and looks like a lot of athletes moving up. Good looking group moving over from Southwest Middle School, too. Hope the season goes off on time!!

Who are some names to watch out for???.. Any great SWO last names?

85 Mr. Hardison is a monster in the making. Raising junior who should be hearing from colleges soon.

QB Moore should be a leader and difference maker this year. A few BIG OL coming back, othet then that not sure. We have to find some speed......

Reactions: SWO-#1

85 Mr. Hardison is a monster in the making. Raising junior who should be hearing from colleges soon.

QB Moore should be a leader and difference maker this year. A few BIG OL coming back, othet then that not sure. We have to find some speed......
Nehemiah White. Rising Soph at RB. Remember the name

Is 85 Mr. Hardison from the same family as TQ Hardison ?

Moore threw the ball pretty good last year, we just had a hard time catching them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT