ADVERTISEMENT

Southwest Edgecombe @ Northeastern

BigBird12

Nov 25, 2013
Northeastern took care of business against Bunn by winning 45-6. Eagles defense and offense came ready to play. SW with the upset versus Northside-Jacksonville. Should be a good game between these two. Thoughts and predictions?

Outside of the seeding, I don't think SWE beating NS is really an upset, not much of one anyway as they had the same record coming in. SWE plays in a tougher conference in the EPC, IMO, with Washington and Farmville Central both still alive.

Having said that, I think it would be a big upset if SWE were to beat NE this Friday. If the Eagles play as they are capable of playing and give their QB time to throw, SWE could be in for a long night. I know that NE was playing better earlier in the season than at the end of the reg. season but there's a bunch of athletes up there. Not that SWE doesn't have them but when you can throw the ball well and run it, too, you should have an advantage.

For SWE to win, they'll have to hold onto the ball first and foremost. Then they'll have to pressure the QB while also trying to key on the running game.

NE is going to have to find ways to send tacklers to No. 5, Devontrell Hyman, because he's proven all season that 1 or 2 won't get it done.

SWE could win this game but the Cougars are going to have leave any mistakes in Pinetops and capitalize on whatever they can force NE into making.

That SWE/Northside game was an upset by seeding only. Many people, power rankings, and the strength of schedule (since they both had identical records) had SWE winning. If NE is still a pass happy team, then they may move the ball well against swe. But the swe run defense is quick and swarming and can really attack the ball carrier. Held last week's 2,200yd rusher to 8 yards in the first half, and 127 total, with agood chunk of that coming in the 4th against non starters after the game was in hand. SWE's offense is a quick strike offense averaging 10yds a carry. Rarely pass. I think two games with no attempts this season. NE defense will be in a long night trying to tackle our 2,000yd fullback, especially if it's cold. His most impressive asset is his balance. He stays up even though three defenders are on him. Also have a 1,000 jr halfback, who already received a scholarship offer to Duke. And third halfback has 750. We don't pass unless the playaction is set up, but we only have around 50 attempts. I think NE should tighten their chin straps to take some blows, and SWE should put wings on their shoes to keep up.

Lol. PD, you opened your post with the same thing I did at the same time. There weren't any replies when I started typing, but once my post went thru, yours was there too. Further reiterates the feeling that it wasn't an upset.

This post was edited on 11/23 8:20 PM by SWE'98

Great minds think alike, '98!

Should be a good up in EC this Friday. I wish I could go but it's too far and too cold. Best of luck to the Cougars!

Liverman has to be aggressive...kid is dynamic...SWE playing well right now
This post was edited on 11/24 8:03 PM by 2for3

SWE will ground and pound it's way to the Eastern Finals. Smash mouth will win this game. NE can roll out the basketballs on Monday.

You obviously haven't seen Northeastern's defense. They can stop the run and that's all SWE does. I like Northeastern by 14. Northeastern can run the ball just as good as SWE. More balanced this year

Again, every year teams shoot down Northeastern because of the "weak conference" they are in. Edenton is still in it also. You'll see Friday night.

This game will be a great matchup of 2 great backs in Liverman and Hyman, two very different styles but both defenses better be ready.

For those of you who think NE is all passing, speed, athleticism and flash and dash, you are going to be disappointed. Those boys bring it and are very physical. A lot different than what you are thinking.

Yes...Liverman in the East Title game did not look like the Liverman on tape in previous games (last year)...not sure if it was the big game atmosphere..but he scarred the crap of SWO on film and seemed not to be the same guy...SWO made it a point to focus on him,,,but he still seemed to be passive,,,He is a great athlete

i know i am going to look like the bad guy here but I have to agree with the people who think ne is going to have a tough time with the physical nature of swe. In 2012 i heard from several people that NE was different from the teams in the past they were going to be able to match our physical style of play and that was very far from the truth. We were able to do whatever we wanted. Who knows maybe this is the year the eagles put it together and make it over that hump but I'm picking the cougars. Will eat my crow if wrong.

Eagles pound it but also spread you out and throw it. More balanced this year than last

Viking...you keep hearing the same thing year in and year out and it does get hard to believe about NE(the weight room seems to be lacking)...SWO last year heard the same thing and was a small team and was more physical...o'line 197 225 158 196 168 est.. if I recall and ran it down their throats...could not against any other team in the playoffs
...I have the greatest respect for NE,but in 2006 SWO held their alltime leading rusher to 37 yards NE 10-1...SWO 7-4 going into that second round game(down year@SWO)... SWO was more physical...Maybe wrong...but I am taking SWE..SWO will have their hands full FC

There is one thing that no one can deny....a wet field takes the bite out of a spread offense. I'm willing to bet that NE's rushing success stems from them being so lethal in the passing game. Will they be able to run effectively when a defense isn't spread out because of a passing threat? I'm seriously asking the Eagle faithful that question.

I think SWE will be the more physical team Friday. Just Hyman alone will raise that bar for the Cougars. I wish there was a stat on the avg. number of tacklers it's taken to bring him down. The kid is just a beast with his powerful compact frame and strong legs.

That having been said, I don't know where these teams stack up in terms of overall and high-end speed. I'm guessing NE has the edge and SWE will have to try and contain that. Otherwise a time-consuming 10-play drive will be met with a 3-play and long sprint to pay dirt drive. On the other hand, SWE has shown an ability to strike quickly on the ground.

I still say that if NE can pass the ball effectively, they'll win, barring an imbalance in turnovers. I would make NE a 6-point favorite.

ec

NORTHEASTERN 21-10 FINAL[/B]

Congrats to Northeastern and good luck next week....Dominant win when everyone outside of this area doubted you. I think that between your win and Edenton's respectable showing against Clinton tonight even thought they lost, these two programs will finally earn some respect. Both programs were behind the curve 10 years ago, but they are now on track to be contenders now and into the future.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT